Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New James Williamson Interview

Go down 
+20
sway
dereksee
napalm_cheetah
mc
Hectorlovesthestooges
Gimme some skin
MJG196
dumdumboy
sheddy
freemind
G, F#, E
Nadja
Rode Hard
JW82
jimmyo
homesickjameswilliamson
Loose1969
cb
soldier
studioguy
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

New James Williamson Interview - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New James Williamson Interview   New James Williamson Interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 11:23 pm

Quote :

I can be pleased for the new Stooges but I can't pretend to be excited about them.

i feel the same way, which is strange because i love all the stages of the stooges music, equally probably, and i thought that i wasnt getting feverishly excited because of Rons passing but i think it is as Angusyd has said;

Quote :
To me the first reunion sounded like a little "miracle" - like, they were back to get what they deserved - while this one looks more like business. Or, well not exactly business like "money money money", but business like "we can't stop it". Less spontaneous.

i think that is why, its not very spontaneous, its like, "well, we'll give it ago'' like a quickie reunion or something, and they know if it doesnt work out they've all got money etc to rest on, and iggy has preliminaires to rest on (not hte album itself, but future albums in that vein) and james is retired anyway

whereas in 2003, Ron hadnt been doing much, at least nothing that he deserved, same with Scott, and Iggy desperately needed something

and who could've guessed the stooges would get back together, and as danny fields has said better than they were before, so in that sense it was a miracle, and even more so that they'd continue and generate the money but also the critical praise and new fans (like me) and the general consensus that they were the best live act ever

i am excited, dont get me wrong, and if they come anywhere near me, or play somewhere i can get to, i'll definitely see them, ill support this band to the end

and i think thats the point, its a band, its our band, this is how they're going to go forward and thats the best thing
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: New James Williamson Interview   New James Williamson Interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 11:42 pm

Nadja wrote:
It's not really a case of giving them a chance, I just hope I can work up my passion again. Although for me it'll never hit the same levels without Ron's guitar around. Oh, well.

I understand, believe me. You know I always preferred the Ron era of the band, mostly because of his wild guitarwork. I just figure that the new configuration is as close as we'll ever get, so why not enjoy it?

I certainly don't expect anyone to just forget about Ron. I can't. Just sayin', might as well enjoy what we CAN get. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: New James Williamson Interview   New James Williamson Interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 11:43 pm

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
[
i think that is why, its not very spontaneous, its like, "well, we'll give it ago'' like a quickie reunion or something, and they know if it doesnt work out they've all got money etc to rest on, and iggy has preliminaires to rest on (not hte album itself, but future albums in that vein) and james is retired anyway

what about scott then, if this didn't work out, musically I mean, (obviously he's got a life outside of the stooges in other ways)
Actually, I can't see how it wouldn't work out if it's just a 'business' kind of thing, they just have to rustle up a tour or two, they've got plenty of material from the past and they're still creative enough to come up with more.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: New James Williamson Interview   New James Williamson Interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 11:48 pm

Quote :

what about scott then, if this didn't work out, musically I mean

musically i dont know, although hes a great drummer and great drummers are always sought after, so he'll have no problem, i was just saying that if this doesnt work out, im sure he's built up some money from the past five years to at least relax for a while
Back to top Go down
Angusyd van Hyman

Angusyd van Hyman

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2008-02-12

PostSubject: Re: New James Williamson Interview   New James Williamson Interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 11:54 pm

Quote :
its a band, its our band

That's why I think I'll go see them if I can. Glad to see it expressed.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: New James Williamson Interview   New James Williamson Interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 1:05 am

Iggy although I respect him is a very egotistical and most often selfish musician. Iggy knows the "Iggy And The Stooges" name sells hence why Scott, Steve and Williamson are on board but he wants to play solo stuff too, why? Because the masses will recognise it and he´ll make more money, he doesn´t need it but wants it.

It´s very greedy, they´re all rich now. Williamson and Scott are just happy to play whatever in front of people so they´ll go along with Iggy and play what he wants. They could play in front of crowds in small venues where everyone would know the words to the obscure demos. Hell, festival crowds were singing along to "I Got A Right" last year.

I have no problem with them making plenty of money, I have no problem Williamson playing all his stuff, I do have a problem with the Ron material but I can get over that. My big problem with them playing solo Iggy stuff.

For me this is worse than The Stooges breaking up. My favourite band is now degraded to a backing band. That´s the key word, "band", "The Stooges" are now an Iggy vehicle, not a group thing. They´re watering down. And personally I detest that. They aren´t a band anymore.
Back to top Go down
TeddyB1018

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-07-06

PostSubject: Re: New James Williamson Interview   New James Williamson Interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 1:53 am

James was not specific. Perhaps the solo Iggy stuff will be restricted to Kill City and New Values material. Or maybe the new Stooges will play Preliminaries songs! Mackey and James have got the chops for it. In defense of Iggy, it's also a bit weird for him to play only with the Stooges and completely ignore a three decade long solo oeuvre.

Personally, I was thrilled for the reunion in 2003 (even went to Coachella). It's an awful thing that Ron's gone, but nothing can be done about that, and so I'm thrilled for the opportunity to see the band with James for the first time since the Whisky in '73. I think it's going to be great. As for it being a backing band, the truth is that the non-aficianados have considered it a backing band since about 1970. They were sometimes billed as Iggy and the Stooges before James even joined.
Back to top Go down
sway

sway

Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2009-08-06

PostSubject: Re: New James Williamson Interview   New James Williamson Interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 2:12 am

ive always preferred ron's playing as well, just that poetic/chaotic/minimal approach....but at the same time raw power is something all to its own, and the older i get, the more i listen to it...the more i appreciate it. it really is a special album, and james is a special player. im glad to hear hes doing something again.

with that said...i think funhouse is the most kickass "rock" (even though i think it transcends rock on so many levels) album EVER recorded. i miss you, ron.
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: New James Williamson Interview   New James Williamson Interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 5:44 am

Playing Iggy solo is a bit bizarre, I must admit. In my humble opinion, the tunes ought to be limited to the Stooges stuff plus Kill City. Again, my opinion only...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: New James Williamson Interview   New James Williamson Interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 12:15 pm

about Iggy solo, well it's such a new situation, I guess they feel they can throw in anything they like.

Last edited by Nadja on Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: New James Williamson Interview   New James Williamson Interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 12:29 pm

sway wrote:
ive always preferred ron's playing as well, just that poetic/chaotic/minimal approach.

sway, 'poetic' is absolutely the right word!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New James Williamson Interview   New James Williamson Interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 12:43 pm

They might also play "Louie Louie"
"I never thought it'd come to this, baby" Wink

The song will work for concerts, folks know it.
It would be funny if they even made up new lyrics for it
- you can pack almost any content in that simple 3-chord song..
Back to top Go down
dorianmode

dorianmode

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-12-21

PostSubject: Re: New James Williamson Interview   New James Williamson Interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 1:22 pm

Like some others, I have decidedly mixed feelings on this 'new reunion'.
Yes, I'm happy for the Stooges to continue in some form, but it's the Stooges without Ron for the very first time ever, so the very concept feels weird.
Back to top Go down
Rode Hard
Rich Bitch
Rode Hard

Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2007-08-16

PostSubject: Re: New James Williamson Interview   New James Williamson Interview - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 7:49 pm

They have to play Dog. If I was seeing Iggy for the first time on stage I'd be REAL disappointed if he didn't sing that. He sang it at every show I've ever been to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New James Williamson Interview   New James Williamson Interview - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New James Williamson Interview
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3