Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?

Go down 
+19
eusebioneto
JW82
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Donald
bobyoung
EyeGee
dan b
MJG196
jimmyo
Rode Hard
culturanta
heavy liquid
Loose1969
Paul T
Gimme some skin
Colin Chaos
adams66
Borntohula
brujo
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
brujo

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2007-07-04

Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? Empty
PostSubject: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2007 1:17 am

The song is HOLY to me and of course there are no "good quality" recordings. I suppose the song is over in the hearts of the Stooges so it wouldn't be the same any more, but I've contemplating faking cancer so I could "Make a Wish Foundation" Ig into recording it nice for me... just kidding... But, does the James Williamson thing make it impossible for the new old Stooges to record stuff with a Williamson co-writing credit? Cause to me, "Cock in My Pocket", "Rubber Legs", "Head On"... all that stuff would ROCK, even if done now, just recorded properly. Has this been asked in an interview? Does anybody know?
Back to top Go down
Borntohula

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2007-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2007 11:41 am

Ron still seems feeling too fine with being in the lead of the guitar that he doesn't feel like any Williams stuff.

It would be cool if they got I got right, gimme some skin and Open up and bleed recorded...
And yes Open up and bleed is a very grand song!
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2007 1:41 pm

It seems that Ron and Scott and Iggy have decided that the 'true' Stooges material is the stuff that pre-dated James Williamson's arrival. Ron clearly doesn't want to play any of the Raw Power era songs as they were designed for Williamson. A shame, but understandable.

I wonder if, at some point, another guitarist could be drafted in to play on selected songs (like Steve Mackay does, just playing on half the set). Then maybe we could have some Raw Power songs with Ron simply stepping back a bit to allow someone else to lead on these.

And yes, wouldn't Open Up And Bleed be a magnificent addition to the set? An amazing tune.

Cheers,

Richard
Back to top Go down
Colin Chaos

Colin Chaos

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2007-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2007 8:49 pm

Has there been any reaction from James Williamson regarding The Stooges reunion???

Open Up And Bleed is a classic song, btw!!!

Last edited by on Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2007 10:52 pm

I understand that Williamson was backstage at one of the 2003 Stooges gigs. I believe that they all get on ok now. Or at least they are cordial anyway. He hasn''t played guitar for years though and is very important in the electronics industry these days...
Cheers,
Richard

Last edited by on Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Colin Chaos

Colin Chaos

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2007-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2007 12:51 am

Thanks for the info!!!

It's been years since i've seen a James Williamson interview in the music press!!!
Back to top Go down
brujo

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2007-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2007 1:55 am

cool, thx for the replies guys... very interesting to find a corner of the net full of stooge-heads... I personally drive my friends out of my house by putting on my post-Raw Power bootlegs or even playing "Death Trip" or some such Raw Power song, hehe... I have no Stooge friends.
Back to top Go down
Borntohula

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2007 10:52 pm

Brujo: I'm still more or less alone being a Stooges listener. I got more or less one friend who likes to listen to them Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gimme some skin

Number of posts : 349
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2007 2:07 am

Haha, we're all sad and lonely.
Back to top Go down
Paul T

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2007 7:24 pm

Colin, James says hje would play again with the Stooges if they ever get in the Hall of Fame. But otherwise, I don't think he wants to go back there, the Stooges is a phase of his life he's put behind him.

when he turned up at a gig in, I think, Long Island, I believe they were a bit mean to him, with the exception of Ron. He turned up with Scott Thurston - and, at one point, were going to take Evita (James's girlfriend) and Coral Starr (Iggy's girlfriend at the time). In the end Coar; and Evita couldn't make it but, Jeez, wouldn't u wanna be a fly on the wall if that lot get together again??

PS, for more info on James go to www.trynka.com

If it's not online now, it should be working by Monday (9 July).
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2007 12:10 am

Count me in on the "Lone Stoogefan" category around here. But I'll break 'em all down eventually. Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
heavy liquid
Admin
heavy liquid

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2007 8:32 am

I wish I had friends that liked the same music as me too.

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2007-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2007 3:09 am

This is also one of my favorite Ig tunes....but I Got Nothin is right up there too.

Cult
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2007 4:33 am

heavy liquid wrote:
I wish I had friends that liked the same music as me too.

I feel your pain. Mad
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
Rode Hard
Rich Bitch
Rode Hard

Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2007-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2007 11:04 pm

It'll never happen. Ron won't play anything James wrote OR any solo Iggy. I'm sure anybody else on the planet would gladly play those fabulous songs though.
Back to top Go down
jimmyo
Half Alive Incubator Baby
jimmyo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2007-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2007 11:32 pm

Rode Hard wrote:
Ron won't play anything James wrote OR any solo Iggy. .
that is SO fuckin' lame. if that is , indeed, true..

iggy needs to figure out a way to perform his solo shit and the williamson stooges shit, even if he has to tour w/o the stooges.
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2007 11:21 am

Borntohula wrote:
Brujo: I'm still more or less alone being a Stooges listener. I got more or less one friend who likes to listen to them Very Happy

It's like Jello Biafra said in Don Letts' Punk:Attitude documentary. There seems to be one Stooges fan in every town...one Velvet Underground fan in every town. Then, when these people find each other they form a band!!
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
Borntohula

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2007 11:33 am

mg196: The problem is that I'm the only one listening to Velvet and the Stooges in my town.
But then, I get to play alot with friends since I'm the only one sounding like I do with my playing. A mixture of robot droning and 60s psychadelics and 70s brawler.
Back to top Go down
dan b

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2007-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2007 11:41 pm

Funny that only Ron was friendly with James when they met up, considering the history. Guess it reinforces (again) what a decent chap Ron is..
Back to top Go down
EyeGee

EyeGee

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2007-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 7:19 pm

James Williamson EXHAUSTIVE interview here:

http://www.i94bar.com/ints/james1.html

Enjoy. I don't see the Raw Power era Stooges playing again, however. Williamson is too busy being a V.P. of Sony Music.

But it would be cool. Would love to hear "Head On" again.
Back to top Go down
bobyoung

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2007-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 26, 2007 5:25 pm

Rode Hard wrote:
It'll never happen. Ron won't play anything James wrote OR any solo Iggy. I'm sure anybody else on the planet would gladly play those fabulous songs though.

I'm new here but I don't think Ron Ashton COULD play the Williamson stuff, it is way beyond his and most other guitarist's capabilities, Ron is a much better bass player than guitar player. I play both but am primarily a bass player by choice. This may be sacrilege to some here but Ashton is a very good bass player and a mediocre guitar player. Williamson was great, very influential and a visionary and doesn't realize it. I've never heard another guitar player who could play exactly like him but you can hear his influence in countless bands since. I wonder if he realizes that he started that style or perhaps he realizes that he will never be able to claim it as his own as it would be almost impossible to claim that on only one album and a bunch of bootlegs?
Back to top Go down
Donald

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2007-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2007 9:37 pm

bobyoung wrote:
mediocre guitar player

Shocked
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 12:05 am

bobyoung, im a guitar player too, and a bass player(guitar by choice) im also a drummer for about 9 years(since i was 5 or 6) I agree, williamson could player alot faster, and his leeds were much more tasteful and harder, he came up with some bass ass riff's too ! but i love ron also, and they are both great stooges guitar players, i love em equally.
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

Number of posts : 666
Registration date : 2008-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 11:25 pm

Donald wrote:
bobyoung wrote:
mediocre guitar player

Shocked

Ron was mediocre when Stooges started to play. He said himself that James was more accomplished guitar player than him. But that changed over the years. Listen how his guitar leads sound now comparison to those on debut or 'Funhouse' albums. Well, he had been playing for 40 years now. That is very essential too Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tosterhead/music
eusebioneto

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2008-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 1:49 am

This stuff you're talking about don't fit with the Stooges no more. They're all about themes of 1972 London and 1973 LA and NY, about that people. Can't imagine, for exampole, the Stooges playing "Head On" and "Open Up and Bleed" on these european festivall, such as Glastonbury.

Could you iagine Iggy singing "Head On" to a big stadium?

They're too much Hard Rock, don't fit in these audiences, Fun House and "The Stooges" are songs that don't fit with today's audiences.

I like that post-Raw Power era too, but I just can't imagine it played today.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next