Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?

Go down 
+25
Nadja
eusebioneto
Funhouse
gabs
bobyoung
EyeGee
iggy
Shakes
seventeen
modernlover
stdtheband
culturanta
ZolarCzakl
iggy-fan
heavy liquid
jneilnyc
TheAshtari
mikel
homesickjameswilliamson
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
adams66
StoogesMySpaceAdmin
Colin Chaos
Loose1969
Stoogemeister
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
eusebioneto

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2008-02-11

'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?   'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 2:15 am

yeah bam, that's exactly what I meant!

that fucking "loudness war" fucked a little bit with James Williamson's guitar and tone.
Back to top Go down
bam

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2007-05-10

PostSubject: Re: 'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?   'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 2:22 am

eusebioneto wrote:
yeah bam, that's exactly what I meant!

that fucking "loudness war" fucked a little bit with James Williamson's guitar and tone.
exactly,the Iggy remaster of Raw Power is acctually known for being one of the most digitally distorted/loudest mastered albums ever.
Back to top Go down
krugersoldier

krugersoldier

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2008-02-20

PostSubject: Re: 'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?   'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 10:10 pm

David Thomas from Pere Ubu said something interesting about Raw Power when asked what he thought of Iggys remix, "Well the original stood up pretty good for 25 years". Thats my feeling entirely.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: 'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?   'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 2:46 am

yeh, but i think iggy gets too much flack for the remix, sony was gonna remix it anyway and you dunno how that woulda gone down, granted it coulda been good, but it may have been worse, and iggys mix is good, in my opinion, its not always listenable, like the first two, but its got some great power in it, i think thats wat iggy was tryin to put forth in it, like the whole 90s heaviness in music, and he probly thought the original mix made clearer mightntve held against the other music out there, and he wanted to show people at the time, and now that that band at the time, like he says in the liner notes i think couldve killed anybody then or anybody now you'no, and maybe someday sony or rhino even, hope of the music lovers, will re-release bowies mix and some other stuff we havent heard - heres hopin, lol
Back to top Go down
eusebioneto

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2008-02-11

PostSubject: Re: 'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?   'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 3:39 am

That fuckin' Bruce Dickinson helped the mix. Do you think it would sound good?
Back to top Go down
bam

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2007-05-10

PostSubject: Re: 'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?   'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 11:57 am

eusebioneto wrote:
That fuckin' Bruce Dickinson helped the mix. Do you think it would sound good?
he could have used a little more cowbell!
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: 'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?   'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 6:07 pm

is this bruce dickinson as in iron maiden, or is it some producer guy? and does anyone know the ins and outs of the remixing 'sessions' like how much ig had to do with it
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: 'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?   'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 6:34 pm

It's not the same Bruce Dickinson as in Iron Maiden.
Sony were going to remix Raw Power anyway - Henry Rollins had volunteered to help, but in the end Iggy decided to do it himself. Dickinson was the supervising engineer / producer who has overseen a lot of Sony reissues of the past 15 years or so.
But from the liner notes and other comments I get the impression that the mixing decisions were solely Iggy's. Hence the extreme volume and the 'everything in the red' mix that has polarised opinion for the past decade.
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
stdtheband

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: 'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?   'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 8:49 am

The remix hits harder. Digital limiting is a good thing when done well, this album's remixes have a distortion on the mix pre mastering and it works with the vibe. I love the remix. Hits so much harder than the originals.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stereo-Transmitted-Disease/8547504
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?   'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5