Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?

Go down 
+25
Nadja
eusebioneto
Funhouse
gabs
bobyoung
EyeGee
iggy
Shakes
seventeen
modernlover
stdtheband
culturanta
ZolarCzakl
iggy-fan
heavy liquid
jneilnyc
TheAshtari
mikel
homesickjameswilliamson
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
adams66
StoogesMySpaceAdmin
Colin Chaos
Loose1969
Stoogemeister
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
iggy

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2007-03-13

'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?   'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 4:57 am

99% of the ones you'll see on ebay are the Iggy mix because the Bowie mix has been out of print for several years. Keep checking for a few weeks and I'm sure you'll see one with Bowie or Original Mix or something similar in the title since many of the sellers are pretty clued in. The one you want is Columbia CK32111. Good Luck.
Back to top Go down
Shakes

Shakes

Number of posts : 483
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: 'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?   'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2007 10:50 am

the bar code on the bowie mix is,

also, the cover art doesn't have any thing on it except for a compact disc digital audio logo with the words "digitally mastered analog recording" on the bottom right hand corner.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: 'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?   'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2007 3:32 pm

i always thought the bowie mix was the one with the ''monster writing'' (as iggy called it) on the front?
Back to top Go down
iggy

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2007-03-13

PostSubject: Re: 'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?   'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 3:07 am

The "monster writing" is on the back. The original LP release is the same: no writing on the front. But the 1977 reissue had the "monster writing" on the front.
Back to top Go down
EyeGee

EyeGee

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2007-12-18

PostSubject: Re: 'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?   'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 9:54 pm

Yeah, it's funny, for such an great, acclaimed & archetypical LP, the mixes are both kind of lame.

Let's face it, Iggy's mix is just TOO loud. I tried to turn it down via software once and it didn't work too well.

I suppose I could rip the vinyl version to CD and then tweak that but the problem is that there's just a lack of certain frequencies. That said, I can now appreciate the Bowie mix more after hearing the alternatives.

I think the best "bootleg" mixes easily available were probably on the BOMP release "Rough Power"
Back to top Go down
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2007-03-19

PostSubject: Re: 'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?   'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2007 9:17 am

'Rough Power' sucks, imo.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/iggyandthestooges
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: 'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?   'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2007 8:30 pm

i like rough power, reading about the album it helps to understand what iggy was looking for and what went 'wrong'
Back to top Go down
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

PostSubject: Re: 'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?   'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2007 12:04 am

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
i like rough power, reading about the album it helps to understand what iggy was looking for and what went 'wrong'

That's fine if you like it. I'm just giving my opinion here...

Well, maybe I was bit harsh...I'll call it mediocre at best. That's how I feel about most of those BOMP! releases. Except for 'Kill City'

Cool

Now, the 'Heavy Liquid' box set...that's good!
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: 'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?   'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2007 1:20 am

ano, i was just givin my opinion too, i like some of the bomp releases, like double danger and jesus loves the stooges, and heavy liquid boxset is pretty much just a couple 'unreleased' cds and some bomp! stuff
Back to top Go down
bobyoung

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2007-12-26

PostSubject: Re: 'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?   'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 26, 2007 6:45 am

StoogesMySpaceAdmin wrote:
Stoogemeister wrote:
Now it's out of print on CD does anyone know where I can find the original Bowie mix of 'Raw Power' online?

I haven't heard the original version since sometime around 1992, but I've been playing the modern remix a lot lately and I wanna see if the Bowie mix is as bad as I recall it being....

Get the vinyl. Trust me on this.

I've had the latest CD for a while which I think is great, sounds like it's going to jump out of the CD player and I had kept hearing how bad the Bowie mix was. I had to hear it for myself so I bought a mint condition LP on ebay. It's softer and has a few weird edits in it, but it has a lot of bottom, (bass and kick drum) as compared to the Iggy mix. It's not bad at all, a few of the songs lost their urgency, but being a bass player I definitely like it, it's much cleaner sounding than the new CD. If you can find the original Raw Power LP in good shape get it, you won't regret it. Rough Power sounds like it was recorded on a one transistor reel to reel. There is one good sounding song on that LP. I think Bomp had a good albums worth of stuff and milked the hell out of it. The Rough Power LP EP has much better versions than the full Rough power LP has. They have some great quality stuff stuff but each album I've bought so far has a lot of filler on it. The I Got a Right EP also sounds great. BTW I always buy the LP when I can, the sound of them in my opinion kills CD's.
Back to top Go down
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

PostSubject: Re: 'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?   'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2007 12:28 am

bobyoung wrote:
StoogesMySpaceAdmin wrote:
Stoogemeister wrote:
Now it's out of print on CD does anyone know where I can find the original Bowie mix of 'Raw Power' online?

I haven't heard the original version since sometime around 1992, but I've been playing the modern remix a lot lately and I wanna see if the Bowie mix is as bad as I recall it being....

Get the vinyl. Trust me on this.

BTW I always buy the LP when I can, the sound of them in my opinion kills CD's.

I conur. Vinyl rocks.
Back to top Go down
gabs

gabs

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2007-04-19

PostSubject: Re: 'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?   'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2007 1:44 pm

Hey Guys.
Plays -Raw Power- on original vinyl LP with a hi-end turntable/tonearm/cartrigde and (important) an excellent prephono amplifier...The tweeters can burns!!!!
CD? What CD?....
:-)
Back to top Go down
http://www.johnnythunders.org
stdtheband

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: 'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?   'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 7:42 am

seventeen wrote:
stdtheband wrote:
I cannot hear what everyone perfers in the bowie mix. It is thin, washed out and lacks punch. The Iggy mix is brutal and distorted, but way better balanced and clearer (even being as distorted as it is).

It's not a question of mix, but mastering. I can get the Bowie mix, and I can make it sound way harder than Iggy's one, with a compressor and a limiter and some clever eq.
I do like Iggy experiment thought.

send me a copy. I work in a recording studio with a Neve, SSL, Pultecs, Fairchild 670, etc. and I could not get the Bowie mix near Iggy's if I tried. The mixes suck. Iggy's at least have clarity and separation.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stereo-Transmitted-Disease/8547504
Funhouse

Funhouse

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: 'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?   'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2008 3:30 pm

I heard you can get hold of a copy of the Bowie mix at www.divshare.com/download/1328097-90c Devil
Back to top Go down
stdtheband

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: 'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?   'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 9:53 am

Bowie mixes are nostalgic. other than that, there is nothing about them that i like over the remixes. you have to be deaf to prefer them.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stereo-Transmitted-Disease/8547504
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: 'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?   'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 11:13 am

Lots of fascinating comments on this thread - it's so interesting to read everyone's very different views of the two versions of Raw Power.

For me, they are two such different mixes that I wish that both were still available.
The Bowie mix was THE mix for the first 23 years of Raw Power's life so I find it a bit disappointing that it is no longer available at all. The Iggy remix is great too, but is not a good representation of the Stooges in 1972 - modern technologies have turned the album into some weird hybrid, belonging to no particular time period. Yes the Bowie mixes are nostalgic, but I like nostalgia, and I like my favourite music to be as true to the original as is possible. New remasters are all very well as long the original music is not tampered with too much. When wholesale remixing takes place, that's still fine as long the original is still available. That's what I find annoying about the new Raw Power, that the it has supplanted the original totally.

Surely there is room for both?

How can we persuade Sony, or whoever holds the rights now, to issue a double disc version of Raw Power?
Disc One - the 1972 Bowie mix, sympathetically remastered,
Disc Two - the 1996 Iggy mix,
and both discs could contain bonus tracks such as "I'm Sick Of You" "Gimme Some Skin" and the rest.

I'd buy it for sure.

Cheers,

Richard
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: 'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?   'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 5:01 pm

same here richard, and good point well taken too, i love both mixes but since ive downloaded the original mix (ages ago, but thanks for posting 'funhouse') i actually listen to it more than i did the iggy mix, its harsh and u have to be in such a pumped up mood to listen to it, u'no, but the bowie mix u can listen to as an album alot more.

also yeh, if someone gets a petition goin, u've got my name and pledge to buy the 2CD set, and they may even find some obscurities we havent heard left in the vaults!
Back to top Go down
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

PostSubject: Re: 'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?   'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 12:49 am

Write to Sony.
Back to top Go down
eusebioneto

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2008-02-11

PostSubject: Re: 'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?   'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 2:32 am

Ops, posted before...
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: 'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?   'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 12:06 am

Just to add my tuppenceworth ...
The Bowie mix sounds more spontaneous or something, more like 'jamming' and all, the bass also carries more, the Iggy miz sounds too cleancut and all the parts are much more separated out, of course that's not a bad thing, it's just that it inevitably gets compared to the original ... which, I must say, I've come to prefer, although I heard Iggy's one first.
Back to top Go down
Angusyd van Hyman

Angusyd van Hyman

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2008-02-12

PostSubject: Re: 'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?   'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 10:59 pm

Now I understand why the original mix is so expensive ... haha. One time I was at a big disc sale, and I saw - first time ever - Raw power in vinyl. The guy sold it at 60€. Argh. Mad

Thanks for the link ! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sheddy

sheddy

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: 'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?   'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 6:30 pm

Just thought I'd throw this in.
Ron Commenting on the mixes...this is before The Stooges reformed.
http://www.i94bar.com/ints/asheton2.html

I remember Don Fleming...we were talking about it, and he goes, "Yeah, Iggy's mixing Raw Power," and I'm going, "Oh, yeah, it'll probably be great" (being sarcastic). Don Fleming goes, "You know what? When Iggy's Raw Power mix comes out, I'll bet you're gonna go -- we always used to say how bad the original David Bowie mix of Raw Power was -- Fleming's going, "When you hear Iggy's mix, I guarantee you're gonna say, 'Man, remember that great mix that David Bowie did?" So I heard it, I got the advance copy from his manager, and listened to it. Then I called Fleming and I'm going, "Gee, Don, I just listened to Iggy's mix of Raw Power. Man, I sure loved that old David Bowie mix. Was it ever great. "

But basically, all that Iggy did was take all the smoothness and all the effects off James (Williamson)'s guitar, so his leads sound really abrupt and stilty and almost clumsy, and he just put back every single grunt, groan, and word he ever said on the whole fuckin' soundtrack. He just totally restored everything that was cut out of him in the first mix, and I thought, Damn, I really did like the old mix better.
Back to top Go down
eusebioneto

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2008-02-11

PostSubject: Re: 'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?   'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 1:20 am

The digital distortion is relly audible (and creepy) on Iggy's Mix.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: 'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?   'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 1:35 am

eusebioneto wrote:

how'd'u mean?
Back to top Go down
bam

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2007-05-10

PostSubject: Re: 'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?   'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 2:08 am

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
eusebioneto wrote:

how'd'u mean?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ
Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?   'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix? - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Raw Power' 1973 Bowie mix?
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next