Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Handmade first album shipped...sort of

Go down 
+12
StoogesMySpaceAdmin
Radiobirdman73
Garageman
davidh
johnthelawman
NOS300B
larry fine
mc
homesickjameswilliamson
gazatthebop
G, F#, E
ggriffin
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

Handmade first album shipped...sort of - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 8:41 pm

Larry that person is me. The vocals on "I'm Hungry" have been added recently or its an entirely new take, those are obviously recent Iggy vocals and I'm suprised you haven't noticed. The music industry is full of fraud and this is no better. The Raw Power boxset has been full of it, all the way back down to the source of the "Georgia Peaches" tape.

I understand the need to re-release etc and I am not against it (I'll just save my money for something else), but if you read Handmade's policies they have contradicted themselves and I think this is a valid point to bring up.
Back to top Go down
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2007-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 9:13 pm

larry fine wrote:
Garageman wrote:
The cost of the Deluxe box set delivered to Europe is ridiculously high, so of course I'm worried about getting the rumoured "recent vocals added to vintage tracks" etc.

Anyway, I'm really happy all this stuff is finally coming out, I just can't help feeling that it's only the small labels, like Easy Action, who really seem to care.

One person on this site (sorry, I can't remember who) said that the vocals were added recently. I can't imagine a more absurd statement than this. While on the one hand people are complaining that the Raw Power box is a shoddy piece of work that not enough thought went into; on the other hand they are saying that they went to the trouble of adding a vocal to a decades old track. And not just any vocal but a completely inane, throwaway vocal. Where, in the history of the Stooges, would the evidence for just this sort of fraud exist? Why would you imagine that Iggy would agree to such a thing? There is absolutely no evidence that such a thing has happened, but because one person here with (I can only assume) an overactive imagination says it's true, it has become true. Or true enough for people to be worried about it. I've been in and around bands, recording studios, etc. for much of my adult life. I own a small home recording studio right now. I have had an advanced copy of this box for a while and have heard it several times and I can't imagine where this belief about the vocals on this track came from. To me it sounds like exactly what it appears to be - a throwaway track, probably recorded while they were warming up or setting up or something. And if I'm wrong and the vocal was recorded in February of this year and the band was pulling the wool over our collective eyes you still get a remastered Raw Power that sounds pretty fucking amazing, a CD of the best live tape of the Raw power era band that has ever surfaced, a couple of other previously unreleased tracks, a DVD, a 7" with picture sleeve all in a nice box. You know what I'm saying?

Sorry for the early morning rant. Sometimes this place kind of crawls up it's own ass and refuses to leave. People - enjoy this. It is an incredibly rare (though not perfect) occurrence. An enormous amount of material by the band you claim to love is being found, cleaned up, dusted off, remastered, remixed, packaged with nice photos and essays and handed to you to either buy or not. It ain't ever gonna be like this again. Life is good!

I agree. Great post. And don't forget the high-quality 5"x7" prints!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/iggyandthestooges
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 9:16 pm

G, F#, E wrote:
Larry that person is me. The vocals on "I'm Hungry" have been added recently or its an entirely new take, those are obviously recent Iggy vocals and I'm suprised you haven't noticed. The music industry is full of fraud and this is no better. The Raw Power boxset has been full of it, all the way back down to the source of the "Georgia Peaches" tape.

I understand the need to re-release etc and I am not against it (I'll just save my money for something else), but if you read Handmade's policies they have contradicted themselves and I think this is a valid point to bring up.

Well, you made your point, and money talks. You decided not to buy it. Good. Not to be an asshole, but I'm asking you to please not ruin it for everyone else. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"
Petrie Terrace

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 9:30 pm

StoogesMySpaceAdmin wrote:
Not to be an asshole, but I'm asking you to please not ruin it for everyone else. Thanks.

How is G, F#, E ruining it for everyone else?

He's just expressing his opinion, or is he pissing in the paddling pool?
Back to top Go down
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 9:32 pm

He made his point. Repeatedly. Now it's time to move on.
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"
Petrie Terrace

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 9:36 pm

You're right, the next person to say "I love Iggy Pop", or anything even vaguely similar, should be barred.

I'm sick to fucking death of reading that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 9:37 pm

I love Twiggy Bob
Back to top Go down
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 9:39 pm

Petrie Terrace wrote:

You're right, the next person to say "I love Iggy Pop", or anything even vaguely similar, should be barred.

I'm sick to fucking death of reading that.

No, not at all. You're reading too much into this.
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"
Petrie Terrace

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 9:43 pm

No, no malice intended your way, just if we started complaining about repetitive topics there'd be far more frequently posted things at the top of my list.

Hagiographical posts about Iggy being #1 on the list.
Back to top Go down
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 9:50 pm

Ok. Thanks. Have a good rest of the weekend.
Back to top Go down
jerrythebarman

jerrythebarman

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 10:05 pm

I'm with Larry on this one, too. I was very curious to hear I'm Hungry, given the suggestion that it's a recently recorded vocal and, now that I finally have, I gotta say I just don't hear it. I guess it's possible, but it certainly doesn't sound like modern-day Iggy to me, and the logic of laying down what amounts to a scratch/warm-up vocal years after the fact is lost on me. It certainly wouldn't be a deal-maker in the selling of copies of this reissue.

I've been a Stooges obsessive since buying Metallic KO based on the Creem review written by Billy Altman back when I was, I guess, 14, and if you had told me that eventually there would be this much unreleased stuff, most of it great, out there, I wouldn't have believed it. These are halcyon days for Stooges fans, especially those of us who weren't fortunate enough to be around for the real thing back in the day. A friend of mine who's just a few years older saw 'em in Vancouver (was it late '73 or early '74 ?) and I've asked him so many times to tell me everything he remembers (mostly he remembers that Iggy puked). All these archival releases are the closest we'll ever get to having been there. Now if only there was more video footage of the RP-era band ! Why didn't they at least appear on Midnight Special or Don Kirshner's Rock Concert or something ?(yeah, I know it's obvious why).

Edit: sorry for going a bit off-topic, I just remembered that this thread is concerning the first album reissue and not the RP deluxe edition. General idea is the same, anyway.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 10:29 pm

G, F#, E wrote:

Well, you made your point, and money talks. You decided not to buy it. Good. Not to be an asshole, but I'm asking you to please not ruin it for everyone else. Thanks.

I actually posted this before the matter got resolved by you asking sony. I hardly think I have ruined it for anyone by pointing out something about one of the songs. The first two discs are great but here in Europe we're getting seriously ripped off.
Back to top Go down
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 11:47 pm

No problem. If you think it's a ripoff, that's fine. Many others are liking it and enjoying it, including myself.
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

gazatthebop

Number of posts : 417
Registration date : 2009-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 10:27 pm

Anyone receive this in the post today?
Back to top Go down
jerrythebarman

jerrythebarman

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 10:57 pm

Was hoping, but still waiting. I was thinking with "rush shipping" being the only option they gave, perhaps they're sending it UPS as Sony did with the RP box. I don't recall how much shipping was for this, but it was certainly more than the cost of a regular air mail parcel.
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

Number of posts : 528
Registration date : 2009-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 11:38 pm

I didn't order this until a day or two before this forum thread was posted. I received the shipment notice for that order today. So, even though I ordered it after they were most likely aware of labeling issue, they went ahead and shipped me the misprinted version so as to at least fulfill the order in a timely manner. Thirty minutes later I received the "Oops" notice from Rhino. So, hopefully I am going to end up with two box sets after all. Sweeeeet.
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 11:49 pm

You will. It actually says on their website that if you order up to May 7th you'll get both the misprint version and then they'll send out the corrected disks once they're done.
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

gazatthebop

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 12:24 am

i think they will just send replacement cd's without cover
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 3:07 am

mc wrote:
You will. It actually says on their website that if you order up to May 7th you'll get both the misprint version and then they'll send out the corrected disks once they're done.

Really? i'm tempted now if i get two copies for that price lol

Why did they release it if they knew there were misprints and would have to ship out replacements? Though i suppose this is the kinda thing that held up the 1971 boxset with EA...so maybe its just easier to send out two copies

HJW
Back to top Go down
Ilmostro

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 5:46 am

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
mc wrote:

Really? i'm tempted now if i get two copies for that price lol

Why did they release it if they knew there were misprints and would have to ship out replacements? Though i suppose this is the kinda thing that held up the 1971 boxset with EA...so maybe its just easier to send out two copies

HJW

Call me paranoid but its kinda suspicious aint it. They got got sumpthin up der sleeve I do believe. just kiddin!
They dont want rabid Stooges fans breathin down their necks for 2 weeks and threating to loot the wherehouse now do they. Mad
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

gazatthebop

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 12:39 pm

when i play Asthma Attack i can hear another track bleeding through the reel. I have compared the running speed of the Handmade issue and though it differs depending on the track, its running at between 7-7.8% slower than the Iggy/Holtzman mix. Is it a mistake or did Cale slow it down. that much..well i emailed Cale's office in LA yesterday to ask and so far no reply.

UPDATE....no reply from Cale to my request for info on his mix...its likely he doesn't remember.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Handmade first album shipped...sort of
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: