Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Handmade first album shipped...sort of

Go down 
+12
StoogesMySpaceAdmin
Radiobirdman73
Garageman
davidh
johnthelawman
NOS300B
larry fine
mc
homesickjameswilliamson
gazatthebop
G, F#, E
ggriffin
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ggriffin

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2008-04-13

Handmade first album shipped...sort of Empty
PostSubject: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 3:45 am

This just in, in an email from Rhino. Personally the mistake does not bug me much but...

A disc labeling error occurred during the production of this boxed set where Disc 1 contains the contents of Disc 2 and vice versa; also, the disc labels should be red, to reflect the original label color as issued in 1969. All of the music we promised you is on the discs, our plant just mislabeled them.

We will be sending you replacement discs with the correct labels beginning May 7th – FREE OF CHARGE. Your original order of THE STOOGES COLLECTOR'S EDITION is already en route. We sincerely apologize and we appreciate your patience.

As our way of making it up to you, here's a special promo code. We can't tell you what it's for just yet, but hold on to it, because as a Stooges fan, you're going to be glad you have it in a few weeks. Here it is: FUNHOUSE

Gee, what could it be? Keep watching...
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 4:04 am

Thanks for sharing that promo code, I'm guessing "Fun House" sessions with Uganos will be released.
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

gazatthebop

Number of posts : 417
Registration date : 2009-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 11:05 am

I think its really good news from Rhino Handmade to go to the trouble of sending a replacement, having paid over the odds for the discs in the first place looks like i will be the proud owner of a soon to be, rare mis-pressing! (wonder if they will send the single and another cover with...or is that too cheeky to presume!)
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 11:24 am

Thanks for posting ggriffin

it'll probably the same treatment as this (7x7 album + unganos) for funhouse latter in the year and maybe depending upon sales of this

for anyone who has bought this, please let us know if the tape speeds are correct

thanks
HJW
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

gazatthebop

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 11:54 am

on the 2005 issue "No fun" is listed @ 4.43 The Handmade one lists it as 4.42.
The other three Cale tracks are listed as between 12-16 seconds longer (SLOWER?)...it'll take a week to get to the UK
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 12:42 pm

[quote="ggriffin"]in a few weeks.

bounce
Back to top Go down
ggriffin

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 1:52 pm

1. Did anybody hear about the huge New Order screwup on the part of Rhino? Big expensive "definitive" reissues that literally sounded terrible (big pops and distortion etc). They eventually promised to make it right but I don't follow New Order and so I don't know how (if) it all ended

2. I bought the Funhouse box, and the 2 cd set. I wonder how much of that I would re(re)buy to get Unganos.

3. The sample of Asthma Attack sounds wonderful - what LA Blues should have been? - but that snippet of an instrumental of Real Cool Time did not have me on the edge of my seat.
Back to top Go down
larry fine

larry fine

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 4:08 pm

I got this same email. I'm really hopeful that this is the Ungano's release. Rhino bought the tape from a guy I know and he tells me that the quality and performance are both very good. I'm not sure what else it could be but time will tell.

Plus, being a degenerate record collector for many, many years I like having the misprinted version of this release.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 5:07 pm

Quote :
he tells me that the quality and performance are both very good.

If you've heard it Larry, what would you compare it to quality wise - is it close to the atlanta show quality or the other bomp bootleg quality stuff?
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

gazatthebop

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 6:02 pm

i wouldn't mind betting an abridged version of the funhouse boxset is about to be released as a double disc. When i first got that set i made several versions from the out-takes taking different takes and compiling them in the same running order.
Back to top Go down
NOS300B

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 11:33 pm

I think it is at least possible that the Complete Funhouse Sessions box could be reissued. I say this because Rhino Handmade had a poll asking people which out-of-print Rhino Handmade release they would like to see reissued. I don't know what the final results of the poll were but a lot of people including myself voted for the Funhouse box.
Back to top Go down
johnthelawman

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 1:49 am

Yeah, it'a cool n all that Rhino are sending out replacements for this printing error, but who really cares about a simple printing error when the Cale tracks are so slow. If these inital discs have the speed problem and the reprinted discs are also too slow, I won't be giving any kudos to Rhino for their handling of this. We're not just talking a slight speed error, something went very wrong as the Cale tracks on the first deluxe set are correct or at least really really close and the samples on the Rhino site of the new set are very noticeably slow. Guess we wait and see how this plays out.
Back to top Go down
davidh

davidh

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2010-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 2:13 am

At the time, Handmade made a big deal of the fact that the Funhouse box would never be reissued again in that form. If they go back on their word, or do something like release the the box again, but with an extra disc, they would be committing fraud, in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 3:23 am

davidh wrote:
At the time, Handmade made a big deal of the fact that the Funhouse box would never be reissued again in that form. If they go back on their word, or do something like release the the box again, but with an extra disc, they would be committing fraud, in my opinion.

I wouldn't be suprised if they did though, they also claim they only released previously unreleased materials yet here they are with this re-release of the first album.
Back to top Go down
NOS300B

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 3:25 am

davidh wrote:

I know, that's why I predict they will reissue The Complete Funhouse Sessions in exactly the same form.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 3:54 am

Quote :

I konw they probably will, but i'd hate it if they did. It destroys the value, monetarily obviously, but also the sentimental value of the product - it'll be great to hear Unganos, but i'm not buying the whole sessions again just for it
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 4:15 am

I'd like to see them both released seperately. Some of us didn't get the chance to buy the set first time round and dont have £500 for a pre-owned version. The music and package is what is important, if you hold the number released in high regard then you're just a pretentious collector. Still this year has marked a huge contradiction in Rhino Handmade's "policies".
Back to top Go down
larry fine

larry fine

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 6:46 am

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
Quote :
he tells me that the quality and performance are both very good.

If you've heard it Larry, what would you compare it to quality wise - is it close to the atlanta show quality or the other bomp bootleg quality stuff?

I haven't heard it. He's offered several times to have me over to give it a listen but I've just never done it. If this new Rhino Handmade release isn't Ungano's then I'll probably give him a call and try and set up a listen.
Back to top Go down
larry fine

larry fine

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 7:09 am

G, F#, E wrote:
I wouldn't be suprised if they did though, they also claim they only released previously unreleased materials yet here they are with this re-release of the first album.

I don't know where they ever claimed any such thing. They release Monkees reissues with extra tracks, they just put out a Wilson Pickett release with all of his Atlantic label LPs and a Chris Bell "I Am The Cosmos" release with extra tracks. They've reissued albums by Cactus, Fanny, Dionne Warwicke, Tiny Tim and countless others.

This is the future of the record business. People don't buy physical product anymore. A company like Rhino Handmade has to go towards these deluxe type packages in order to make a profit and survive.

And as alarming as it may seem to some folks around these parts - they don't tailor their releases to the people on this board who already own everything by the Stooges. For the more casual fan this is a pretty fucking cool release - remastered tracks from the first LP, some Cale mixes, a previously unreleased song, a new 7".

There are so many great Stooges reissues coming out. We're getting tracks that we've only ever heard rumors of before and remastered versions of virtually everything. None of it is perfect, but if you have been a Stooges fan for as long as I have and can remember when there was nothing by the band readily available then maybe you'd appreciate the wealth of material becoming available. Instead, the board is full of claims of ripoffs, recent vocals added to vintage tracks conspiracies and a slew of other complaints I can't even remember right now. You all would be a lot unhappier if none of this stuff existed at all.
Back to top Go down
davidh

davidh

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2010-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 7:54 am

G, F#, E wrote:
I'd like to see them both released seperately. Some of us didn't get the chance to buy the set first time round and dont have £500 for a pre-owned version. The music and package is what is important, if you hold the number released in high regard then you're just a pretentious collector. Still this year has marked a huge contradiction in Rhino Handmade's "policies".
It's not about the 'value' or the pretentious collector side of it, it's that I spent a lot of money at the time (that I couldn't really afford) because it was stated that this would be the only chance to get it. Going back on their word makes it look like they made one claim at the time to sell the first run quickly, and now that they see that there's still a market for it, they go back on that claim and make another bundle of money on it.

I'm not a collector, I'm a fan who had dreamed of hearing those outtakes ever since I first heard rumours that Funhouse wasn't just a 'one take' run through of their live set. I don't have a problem calling it a rip off if they make me choose between either paying a fortune yet again for the Funhouse sessions, or not getting to own something historic, or, alternately, illegally downloading it (which is nowhere near as much fun as owning a real CD). I won't be surprised if in two years this first album reissue comes out yet again on RH with some 'special brand new just discovered bonus track' to get us all to lay out the cash again.
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

gazatthebop

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 10:46 am

the first run did not sell quickly.....if its issued again a thousand should do and maybe number them 3001-4000 so collectors in the future know its the re-issue
Back to top Go down
Garageman

Garageman

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2008-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 1:58 pm

larry fine wrote:

There are so many great Stooges reissues coming out. We're getting tracks that we've only ever heard rumors of before and remastered versions of virtually everything. None of it is perfect, but if you have been a Stooges fan for as long as I have and can remember when there was nothing by the band readily available then maybe you'd appreciate the wealth of material becoming available. Instead, the board is full of claims of ripoffs, recent vocals added to vintage tracks conspiracies and a slew of other complaints I can't even remember right now. You all would be a lot unhappier if none of this stuff existed at all.

Larry, you're right. Stuff we've only dreamed of is being released officially and the band is still able to put on a terrific live show. Things haven't been this good in decades. But if you're going to do something, why not do it well? The cost of the Deluxe box set delivered to Europe is ridiculously high, so of course I'm worried about getting the rumoured "recent vocals added to vintage tracks" etc.

Anyway, I'm really happy all this stuff is finally coming out, I just can't help feeling that it's only the small labels, like Easy Action, who really seem to care.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 5:05 pm

Quote :
None of it is perfect, but if you have been a Stooges fan for as long as I have and can remember when there was nothing by the band readily available then maybe you'd appreciate the wealth of material becoming available. Instead, the board is full of claims of ripoffs, recent vocals added to vintage tracks conspiracies and a slew of other complaints I can't even remember right now. You all would be a lot unhappier if none of this stuff existed at all.

Yeh, its easy to forget what we're all talking about, if unganos is really coming out, then that means something of the 'holy trinity' of stooges rarities are being released (along with asthma attack and the 1971 stuff) which is unbelievable that all this is being given to us, packaged with the existing album or not

i've only been listening to the stooges for five or so years, but i remember being amazed that after i'd heard the first three albums i went looking for more and found that in 2005 or 2006 there were i think 8 or 10 different releases in the one year - granted a number of it was repeated 1973/4 rehearsals on different labels but i was still amazed at the amount

and then reading about asthma attack and trying my hardest to get something out of the starfighter CD of 1971 stuff; so its easy to take it for granted but its amazing what they have uncovered - theres always something else lying around that hasnt been discovered yet
Back to top Go down
Radiobirdman73

Radiobirdman73

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 5:52 pm

larry fine wrote:
G, F#, E wrote:

And as alarming as it may seem to some folks around these parts - they don't tailor their releases to the people on this board who already own everything by the Stooges. For the more casual fan this is a pretty fucking cool release - remastered tracks from the first LP, some Cale mixes, a previously unreleased song, a new 7".

I gotta go w/ Larry on this one. Rhino Handmade is an excellent label that has always released top-notch stuff. Case in point - I searched for Eddie Hazel's one and only solo LP for years at a reasonable price (less than 50 bucks) to no avail. Finally, RH released it - remastered - with bonus tracks. It was expensive - but worth every penny.

IF you've collected music for any reasonable length of time you're used to waiting for things. As an avid Hendrix fan i've waited decades for certain tracks to be released that still haven't seen the light of day and still aren't available on bootlegs (See The Ghetto Fighters).

Record companies release what they believe they'll make money on. If they clear a profit, they'll release more by the artist - that's just how it works. Easy Action - whether you like it or not - is not in the business of giving shit away to their fans - they wanna make buck too.

But again, it's the nature of the beast. People are going to bitch and moan about anything and everything. Tell you what - don't want to spend 50 bucks on the new RH Stooges reissue just so you can hear Asthma Attack - then don't. Go to iTunes like all the other cattle in the herd and download it for 99 cents. Then, open up your CD burning program and merge it with your previous edition and eureka - you saved 49.99.

Then, when Rhino Handmade and other boutique music vendors go belly up - come back to us and bitch and moan some more about how iTunes destroyed the industry.
Back to top Go down
larry fine

larry fine

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 5:58 pm

Garageman wrote:
The cost of the Deluxe box set delivered to Europe is ridiculously high, so of course I'm worried about getting the rumoured "recent vocals added to vintage tracks" etc.

Anyway, I'm really happy all this stuff is finally coming out, I just can't help feeling that it's only the small labels, like Easy Action, who really seem to care.

One person on this site (sorry, I can't remember who) said that the vocals were added recently. I can't imagine a more absurd statement than this. While on the one hand people are complaining that the Raw Power box is a shoddy piece of work that not enough thought went into; on the other hand they are saying that they went to the trouble of adding a vocal to a decades old track. And not just any vocal but a completely inane, throwaway vocal. Where, in the history of the Stooges, would the evidence for just this sort of fraud exist? Why would you imagine that Iggy would agree to such a thing? There is absolutely no evidence that such a thing has happened, but because one person here with (I can only assume) an overactive imagination says it's true, it has become true. Or true enough for people to be worried about it. I've been in and around bands, recording studios, etc. for much of my adult life. I own a small home recording studio right now. I have had an advanced copy of this box for a while and have heard it several times and I can't imagine where this belief about the vocals on this track came from. To me it sounds like exactly what it appears to be - a throwaway track, probably recorded while they were warming up or setting up or something. And if I'm wrong and the vocal was recorded in February of this year and the band was pulling the wool over our collective eyes you still get a remastered Raw Power that sounds pretty fucking amazing, a CD of the best live tape of the Raw power era band that has ever surfaced, a couple of other previously unreleased tracks, a DVD, a 7" with picture sleeve all in a nice box. You know what I'm saying?

Sorry for the early morning rant. Sometimes this place kind of crawls up it's own ass and refuses to leave. People - enjoy this. It is an incredibly rare (though not perfect) occurrence. An enormous amount of material by the band you claim to love is being found, cleaned up, dusted off, remastered, remixed, packaged with nice photos and essays and handed to you to either buy or not. It ain't ever gonna be like this again. Life is good!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Handmade first album shipped...sort of   Handmade first album shipped...sort of Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Handmade first album shipped...sort of
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next