Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge

Go down 
+7
boogie
mc
Stranger09
Radiobirdman73
TED
Luzern
saichan
11 posters
AuthorMessage
saichan

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2009-01-13

New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge Empty
PostSubject: New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge   New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 3:52 pm

Good interview with James, which manages to (mostly) avoid asking the same old questions:

Quote :
I think that if you have to boil it down to one or two really big influences, I'd say maybe Keith Richards for his attitude and Jeff Beck for his guitar playing. I'm still a huge Jeff Beck fan, but I realized early on that I couldn't play like either of them, so it was easier for me to just make up my own stuff.

AC: In some pictures from the DVD you have an insolent Keith Richards look to you.

JW: Yeah, yeah I did. But I wasn't really like him. It was just – I kind of looked a little bit like him. Anyway, I developed my own style; people ask me all the time, "How did you get that sound?" And it's just that I wrote my own music and I felt like I should play a lot of chords. I don't know why, but I did. In order to do that I had to figure out a way to pick the guitar so that I could play all those chords fast. That's how I developed this down-picking style, which is almost exclusively what I do. That has a certain sound to it, and that's something a lot of guys miss when they try to imitate me. They're not looking at the right hand; they're looking at the left hand.
Back to top Go down
Luzern

Luzern

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2009-01-12

PostSubject: Re: New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge   New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 5:33 pm

Great interview!!!! Thank you for the link!
Back to top Go down
TED
A funhouse boy will steal your heart away
TED

Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge   New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 6:28 pm

I wonder if James remembers The Coba Seas Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Radiobirdman73

Radiobirdman73

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge   New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 6:56 pm

TED wrote:
I wonder if James remembers The Coba Seas Very Happy

I wonder what those Coba Seas tapes sound like.
Back to top Go down
Stranger09

Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge   New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 8:32 pm

great read, thanks!
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge   New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 9:19 pm

Good one. Who/what are the Coba Seas by the way?
Back to top Go down
boogie

boogie

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2009-09-06

PostSubject: Re: New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge   New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 9:33 pm

yeah what???
Back to top Go down
TED
A funhouse boy will steal your heart away
TED

Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge   New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 10:32 pm

New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge CobaSeas-001
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge   New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 10:54 pm

Thanks Ted.

I'd really like to hear those recordings. Anyone mentioned this to Easy Action? Could be another project for them.

edit: ok just realized this is a comment on the article and it was only posted today, I've posted a reply to Mike myself.

And it seems the comments don't display in Firefox

Last edited by mc on Mon May 31, 2010 11:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

Number of posts : 840
Registration date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge   New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 11:01 pm

mc wrote:
Thanks Ted.

I'd really like to hear those recordings. Anyone mentioned this to Easy Action? Could be another project for them.

I sent the link to James, he's going to try to find the guy
Back to top Go down
http://belowgroundsound.com
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge   New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 11:17 pm

studioguy wrote:
mc wrote:
Thanks Ted.

Good stuff.
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

PostSubject: Re: New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge   New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 11:28 pm

mc wrote:
studioguy wrote:
mc wrote:
Thanks Ted.

Good stuff.

It makes me wonder if there is any Chosen Few recordings or more pictures out there.
Back to top Go down
Nandayo

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-01-11

PostSubject: Re: New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge   New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 1:44 am

nice interview, would be awesome to listen to those recordings

it's always interesting to listen to early performances of great guitar players
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"
Petrie Terrace

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge   New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 3:35 am

That's amazing news!

You could name your own price for a Coba Seas/Chosen Few cd, and I'd happily pay double.
Back to top Go down
damned

damned

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge   New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 1:04 am

so, we have to thank the international crisis if James is back playing with the Stooges...strange world!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.search-and-destroy.it
studioguy

studioguy

PostSubject: Re: New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge   New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 7:32 am

Petrie Terrace wrote:
That's amazing news!

You could name your own price for a Coba Seas/Chosen Few cd, and I'd happily pay double.

James just posted this link for Coba Seas pics and audio!!

Coba Seas
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge   New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge
Page 1 of 1