Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series

Go down 
+4
mc
TED
neven
ElRoi
8 posters
AuthorMessage
ElRoi

ElRoi

Number of posts : 528
Registration date : 2009-09-10

Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series Empty
PostSubject: Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series   Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 9:08 pm

Back to top Go down
neven

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series   Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 10:39 pm

it looks like this has all been released on bomp,revenge and easy action,but it could be better quality on some tracks?you only know when you buy it.
I just hate these semi-legal?? releases,you never know what you get,there's no good info.
hopefullybomp will release alltheir tapes in 1 big cdbox so we can have everything .
Back to top Go down
TED
A funhouse boy will steal your heart away
TED

Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series   Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 2:03 am

Looks like Mainman have been busy Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series   Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 2:10 am

Here're some interesting reviews (all by the same person - Mr Defries?) on a few of these legit bootleg series releases:

2010 marks the 40th anniversary of the renowned MainMan label. This album is part of the MMRX Legit Bootleg Series. MMRX is a music and media Rights Management Organization (RMO) started as a division of MainMan Ltd. by Tony Defries the legendary MainMan founder.

This release is the legitimate, authorized version of Sony's unauathorized 2010 "Rarities, Outtakes & Alternates from the Raw Power Era" disc (CD 3) of the Raw Power Deluxe Edition. Sony has not made their "Rarities" disc available for digital download forcing customers to pay 60+ for the entire package. This release offers these rare tracks to customers at a fraction of the price.

Two tracks are outtakes from the Raw Power sessions, songs that do not appear anywhere else: "I'm Hungry" (which evolved into "Penetration") and "Hey, Peter" (the latter conceptually unrelated to anything on Raw Power). Two songs are from an early aborted Raw Power session, "I Got A Right" (which became an Iggy and the Stooges staple and has been covered by dozens of bands) and "I'm Sick Of You" (another staple, whose version here was previously issued on a rare Bomp EP in 1977).

Georgia Power:
This may be the best live rendition of Raw Power in existence. The bootleg recording was made during a series of dates Iggy and the Stooges played in October 73 at Richards club in Atlanta, GA. Iggy and the band had been rehearsing and performing since March and these five Atlanta shows pushed them to the limit. There is a story that during one of these dates Elton John, always a fan of living dangerously, made a surprise appearance onstage in a full gorilla suit. Nobody in the band knew who he was and Elton unmasked just in time to save himself from a serious beating. Sony released the bootleg entitled "Georgia Peaches" in April 2010, and included it in the Sony Raw Power Legacy and Deluxe packages. The only legitimate issue of that recording is the MainMan release entitled "Georgia Power".

Real Power is an authorized release by MainMan and the only legitimate release of these tracks. Real Power consists of rare studio recordings from punk icons Iggy Pop and The Stooges from 1973.

Iggy & Ziggy - Agora Ballroom 1977 is the only authorized and legitimate release of this landmark show recorded live at the Agora Ballroom in Cleveland OH, March 21, 1977. Iggy Pop and David Bowie perform together with Iggy on vocals and David on keyboards. The show includes wild performances of Iggy's classics such as "Raw Power," "I Wanna Be Your Dog," "TV Eye," "1969" and many more!

Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series   Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 2:37 am

First, is any of the material on these releases previously unavailable from another source?

Second, do any of these releases have a better quality of sound that the previous sources of this material (Bomp, Revenge , EA)?

Third, why isn't all of this material being offered on CD? I would prefer to pay a little more and have the music on a CD.
Back to top Go down
neven

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series   Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 11:17 am

I wonder if this is authorised by iggy,stooges,cbs,sony??
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series   Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 2:32 pm

neven wrote:
I wonder if this is authorised by iggy,stooges,cbs,sony??

Good question. The fact that it's all being offered as mp3's does make one wonder. Mr. DeFries may be concerned about receiving a "Cease and Desist" order, thus he doesn't want to have a bunch of money tied up in physical merchandise that he might not be able to sell.
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"
Petrie Terrace

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series   Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 2:43 pm

My guess (I emphasize the word "guess").. Mainman simply rounded up every Stooges release they can find that, in their opinion, features recordings belonging to them (by virtue of the original recordings having been paid for by Mainman, or because they feature songs/recordings that they believe they hold a copyright on in some way), and released the content onto the internet. Note the specific reference to the outtakes/Georgia cd's of the Sony RP box as being "unauthorized", you can't get a clearer declaration of assumed ownership than that.

Internet release saves on manufacturing costs, allows for a very speedy release (and also for a quick deletion if one becomes necessary), and brings in the quickest financial returns.

If that is what they are doing, it's a brass necked move, and totally in keeping with the legends of Tony De Fries management style. Also, if that is what they're doing, you would be hard pressed to read it as anything but a direct challenge to Sony, and all the other labels, whose cd's they appear to have blatantly copied the content from. If that is what they are doing, it's basically saying "So sue us, if you think you have a leg to stand on".

The new Ungano's shots also suggest that De Fries may still have at least some of his old Stooges archive, or at least access to someone that maybe hasn't been accessed before.

Re Why no CD's? Who gives a fuck?! This endless "happy shopper" purchasing of the same Stooges recordings over and over again is like some kind of weird obsessive/compulsive disorder.

Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series   Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 3:37 pm

No OCD here. I certainly have no uncontrollable desire to purchase again something I may already have in my collection. I merely would like to know if there is anything in those releases that hasn't been released before or anything that might be of superior audio quality from previously released material.
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series   Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 3:54 pm

ElRoi wrote:
No OCD here. I certainly have no uncontrollable desire to purchase again something I may already have in my collection. I merely would like to know if there is anything in those releases that hasn't been released before or anything that might be of superior audio quality from previously released material.

It looks like it has all been released before and I'm sure it's just directly lifted from Bomp/Revenge/Sony/Easy Action CDs. If the source was better I'm sure Tony would have made mention of it.
Back to top Go down
Perdu

Perdu

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series   Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 7:46 pm

What irony. He didn't want any of these selections released the first time around and turned them all down. We could have had THREE Raw Powers if not for the one step forward, two steps backwards style of management apparently and allegedly (that's for his legal team. i don't really mean it!) utilized. Suicide2
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series   Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 11:03 pm

The Stooges played Unganos twice, both gigs were in 1970. Both times were before Mainman had any involvement.
Back to top Go down
StoogeFan

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2010-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series   Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 5:42 am

Natalie wrote:

The Stooges played Unganos twice, both gigs were in 1970. Both times were before Mainman had any involvement.

Are the pictures of Iggy at Unganos, ones that you lent Mainman?

I hope these bootlegs don't discourage Bomp, Easy Action, Sony or anyone else from putting out any more unreleased Iggy and the Stooges material (if any still exist). If this makes companies second guess the viability of releasing anything "new" by the stooges that would a real shame (if the fact that people who have worked hard to give us stooge recordings, seem to be getting ripped off isn't a big enough shame as it is).

I wonder if Mainman will bootleg the new Iggy and The Stooges album when it comes out.
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"
Petrie Terrace

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series   Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 6:03 am

Natalie wrote:

I know, I meant "archive" in the sense of stuff related to the Stooges, rather than stuff related to the specific Mainman/Stooges era.
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

PostSubject: Re: Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series   Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 6:29 am

PT,

I knew what you meant by your post. I was just reinterating that the Unganos gigs had nothing to do with Mainman.

Stoogefan,

You are the third person who asked me that question today/tonight. I gave Mainman 24 transparencies taken at Unganos. However, I can not be sure if they are the same as it was so long ago. I do have shots from Unganos still in my collection. Some will be in the booklet with the Popped package and others may be in the book "Caught in the Act" that is being written, I still have some unseen color and monochrome photos.

Natalie
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series   Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 1:27 pm

Natalie wrote:

You are the third person who asked me that question today/tonight.

Smile
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

PostSubject: Re: Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series   Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 8:16 pm

You were first! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series   Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Main Man - Legit Bootleg Series
Page 1 of 1