Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show??

Go down 
+6
MJG196
Ungangos
Nadja
mc
adams66
Mr. FunBoy
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr. FunBoy

Mr. FunBoy

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2009-12-20

Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show?? Empty
PostSubject: Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show??   Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show?? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 11:58 am

I know it's a dumb question even coming from me, sorry.
but I'm really curious about that.

A lot of bands were under ground like the Stooges, and they got to be on those
kinds of TV shows. When Iggy went solo he got on shows like "Top of the Pops"
"Old Grey Whistle Test" but not with The Stooges or with James. Mad
Back to top Go down
http://HeavyLiquidVideos.yola.com
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show??   Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show?? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 2:01 pm

The Stooges, unlike many other contemporary US bands, only ever played in North America (apart from that one London gig in 1972, but hardly anyone had heard of the Stooges in the UK then, and what they had heard put people off...)

Had the Stooges had the funds, the management and the support of a record label then they might have been able to tour Europe in which case Whistle Test or Beat Club or some of the other TV shows of the time may well have featured them, as they did with many other, arguably lesser known, bands.

But it wasn't until Iggy's Idiot tour that he finally properly gigged outside of North America and not until the Lust For Life tour that Europe fully embraced an Iggy tour.

Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show??   Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show?? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 9:46 pm

I believe they did appear on 2 US TV shows in 1969 - The Hy Lit Show and Swingin' Time. Natalie Schlossman confirmed the Hy Lit performance. Noone seems to have recordings.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show??   Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show?? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 5:45 pm

Completely off-topic, but Mr FunBoy I have to say I really like your avatar.
Back to top Go down
Mr. FunBoy

Mr. FunBoy

PostSubject: Re: Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show??   Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show?? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 6:02 pm

hahah thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
Ungangos

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2011-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show??   Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show?? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 10:55 pm

mc wrote:
I believe they did appear on 2 US TV shows in 1969 - The Hy Lit Show and Swingin' Time. Natalie Schlossman confirmed the Hy Lit performance. Noone seems to have recordings.

I heard somewhere else on the forum that they aired the Swingin' Time video in the 80s and it's the best to assume that if they kept the footage that long, then they still have it now.
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show??   Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show?? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 4:57 pm

Odd that Europe latched onto the MC5 (even if for a little bit) and the Stooges made such little impact.

EDIT: I meant little impact during their existence!
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
Nervousnorvus

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show??   Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 12:57 am

Don't forget they were on primtime TV on the Midsummer's Night Rock special doing TV Eye, that's how I first became aware of them as a 12 year old. The footage of Iggy walking on the crowd's outstretched hands and smearing himself with peanut butter ruined, I mean changed my life....
Back to top Go down
http://thehoundblog.blogspot.com/
neven

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show??   Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 10:56 pm

Nervousnorvus wrote:
Don't forget they were on primtime TV on the Midsummer's Night Rock special doing TV Eye, that's how I first became aware of them as a 12 year old. The footage of Iggy walking on the crowd's outstretched hands and smearing himself with peanut butter ruined, I mean changed my life....

great you saw this at the time!do you remember if the radio broadcast of this had different songs or came without the add in the middle and in stereo?
Back to top Go down
Ungangos

PostSubject: Re: Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show??   Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show?? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 4:53 am

Quote :
do you remember if the radio broadcast of this had different songs or came without the add in the middle and in stereo?
Radio broadcast?
Back to top Go down
neven

PostSubject: Re: Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show??   Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show?? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2011 12:20 pm

yes,it was simultaniously broadcasted on fm.I have this info from a dutch magazine from1971 whose reporter was in n.y. at the time,saw the tv thing and listened to it on fm in stereo
Back to top Go down
Ungangos

PostSubject: Re: Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show??   Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show?? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 10:08 pm

Wow, was it ever taped?
Back to top Go down
neven

PostSubject: Re: Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show??   Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 8:22 pm

Ungangos wrote:
Wow, was it ever taped?

have not located a tape from the fm
Back to top Go down
Mr. FunBoy

Mr. FunBoy

PostSubject: Re: Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show??   Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 5:59 pm

Is there any footage of the Stooges when they are not doing a show?

Like Iggy and the MC5
https://youtu.be/doRpg5cerj0

or like Iggy and Nico
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhFkLMiKtx0
Back to top Go down
Ungangos

PostSubject: Re: Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show??   Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show?? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 3:03 am

if the radio mix was in stereo then that means that there was a multitrack tape. maybe its still out there.
Back to top Go down
larry fine

larry fine

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show??   Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show?? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 11:30 pm

The radio simulcast was exactly the same as the TV show. That is to say that's the way I remember it. I watched and listened to the simulcast on headphones when it was broadcast. No idea if it was in stereo or mono, though.

Also, they were scheduled to appear on The Real Don Steele TV show here in Los Angeles with the Raw Power band (and, I think, Scott Thurston) in 1973. I can remember seeing it announced in the TV Guide or one of the TV magazines that came with the L.A. newspaper. When Saturday night rolled around and I tuned in they were not on. Later I asked Ron A. if he remembered this and (if I remember correctly) they did not appear due to issues involving drugs.
Back to top Go down
neven

PostSubject: Re: Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show??   Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show?? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 12:49 pm

THANKS FOR YOUR MEMORIES LARRY.
WHAT A PITY THEY DID NOT APPEAR ON THE DON STEELE SHOW
Back to top Go down
Hectorlovesthestooges

Hectorlovesthestooges

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show??   Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show?? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 9:35 pm

Someone on Youtube commented on one of my Stooges videos saying this:

"Very rare stuff. I'm looking for the 1973 England concert. I saw it on cable in the early 70's once. I think he did something crazy and ran around on stage naked, jumping around like a monkey or something".

He probably means the 1972 King Cross show in London! So maybe it exists and it's lost somewhere...

Back to top Go down
neven

PostSubject: Re: Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show??   Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show?? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 11:43 pm

Hectorlovesthestooges wrote:
Someone on Youtube commented on one of my Stooges videos saying this:

"Very rare stuff. I'm looking for the 1973 England concert. I saw it on cable in the early 70's once. I think he did something crazy and ran around on stage naked, jumping around like a monkey or something".

He probably means the 1972 King Cross show in London! So maybe it exists and it's lost somewhere...

maybe you can contact this guy for more details?

In the late eighties footage was shown on detroit cable tv,read it in the black to comm or motorbooty magazine,but this is probably the leni sinclair footage.
Back to top Go down
Hectorlovesthestooges

Hectorlovesthestooges

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show??   Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show?? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 7:03 pm

neven wrote:

I sent him a message but he hasn't replied yet. I'll keep you informed!
Back to top Go down
neven

PostSubject: Re: Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show??   Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show?? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 11:46 pm

Hectorlovesthestooges wrote:
neven wrote:

I sent him a message but he hasn't replied yet. I'll keep you informed!

thanks!
Back to top Go down
Mr. FunBoy

Mr. FunBoy

PostSubject: Re: Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show??   Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show?? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 7:52 pm

Mick Rock should of directed some Stooges videos
back in the back when he was doing some for Bowie.

He should of done Raw Power, Search and Destroy, Gimme Danger, Shake Appeal.
It would of been great Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show??   Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why weren't The Stooges on Beat Club or anyother show??
Page 1 of 1