Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Can anyone ID this Stooges track?

Go down 
+5
rabid_fish
mghifi
soldier
adams66
bosoyen
9 posters
AuthorMessage
bosoyen

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Can anyone ID this Stooges track? Empty
PostSubject: Can anyone ID this Stooges track?   Can anyone ID this Stooges track? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 5:49 am

Hello Everyone,

Can anyone identifiy this track from VH1's "Behind the Music"? It definitely sounds like Dave and Ron. To me it sounds like a take from the first album; maybe a much faster version of the intro to Little Doll. I've been intrigued by this ever since I first heard it. It's really powerful and I've never found it anywhere else. I'd love to find it in it's entirety.

Here's the link. It's from 0:00 to 0:23

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIkeftKEaD4

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone ID this Stooges track?   Can anyone ID this Stooges track? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 10:54 am

Sounds like "Little Doll" to me too. But not the album version... hmmm.
Back to top Go down
soldier

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2007-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone ID this Stooges track?   Can anyone ID this Stooges track? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 1:31 pm

audio credits on that page https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-oJYDnzYQE&feature=related

at 12:13

not stooges to me Mad
Back to top Go down
mghifi

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone ID this Stooges track?   Can anyone ID this Stooges track? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Most all TV shows use what's known as "incidental music". It is much cheaper way of placing music into shows.
Back to top Go down
rabid_fish

rabid_fish

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2009-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone ID this Stooges track?   Can anyone ID this Stooges track? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2012 3:00 am

i'd say it's something someone recorded for the show... like they said, it's cheaper than paying the stooges and the record company to let them play "little doll" on that part of the program
Back to top Go down
bosoyen

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2007-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone ID this Stooges track?   Can anyone ID this Stooges track? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 10:53 pm

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all of your responses. In the VH1 video both Stooges and Iggy songs are featured throughout the production. I tend to think that it would not be incidental music for that one track, but I appreciate and respect your comments.

Although the clip is very brief, what convinces me this is the Stooges is the bass intro (Little Doll, Funhouse) but mostly the guitar; the attack with that lovely sweeping sonic drone that is Ron’s trademark. I just don’t think that there would be the thought and effort to so accurately recreate that sound on a 20 second incidental music track that would be immediately forgotten.

Could this be the song “Dog Food”? In Iggy’s autobiography “I Need More” he mentions an early Stooges show in Boston with the original lineup that included the song Dog Food.
We’ve all heard “Dog Food” off of Iggy’s “Soldier” but has anyone ever heard the Stooges version?

Of course, I may be deluding myself because I so desperately want to find some early Stooges material I’ve never heard before.

Does anyone else think this is genuine Stooges? Does anyone else think this is me hearing something that isn’t there?

All input is respectfully appreciated.

Thanks,
Back to top Go down
StoogesFan

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2009-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone ID this Stooges track?   Can anyone ID this Stooges track? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 1:23 pm

Could it be an alternative version of Little Doll, perhaps from the 'Rhino' set?

No known version of 'Dog Food' exists by the Stooges. It was in their setlist at the time they recorded Funhouse, but was rejected by producer Don Gallucci and not played during the sessions.
Back to top Go down
sizeable bulge

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2010-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone ID this Stooges track?   Can anyone ID this Stooges track? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 11:20 pm

bosoyen wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone else think this is genuine Stooges?

Thanks,

I agree for the most part. To make an incidental recording this poor quality and tinny sounding seems far fetched to me. But I am suspicious of the bass. It seems much clearer than the rest of the recording. But if you ask me, this is from the same recording used in the European "Lust For Life" documentary. Some people consider that "Asthma Attack" but it just sounds like a bunch of noise to me. No musical value. At the point of the Iggy bio you referenced it's 1969 which is probably right for this recording. I don't recall the exact quote but in his Iggy bio Trynka says something like no "real" artifact of the live late '60's original Stooges exists which implies that some recording of the original Stooges exists, though we can likely rule out a soundboard recording.

I don't think there are any more unreleased Stooges songs in existance. The vault has been cleaned out. Others may disagree but it seems on the Raw Power box set on the track "I'm Hungry" they got Iggy to record a new vocal and then used the music to "Penetration" and tried to pass this off as an unreleased Stooges song. Totally bogus.
Back to top Go down
ChuckN

ChuckN

Number of posts : 308
Registration date : 2009-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone ID this Stooges track?   Can anyone ID this Stooges track? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 7:40 pm

Sound like a jingle made by "hired guns" to me. It's not a Stooges song. Unless they convinced the Stooges to do a 20 second jingle, witch would be a waste of resources.
It have a long guitar fade-out in the end and a clear take of a slapping-bass in the beginning, sounding more typical for a 80's or newer recording.

Hate to say it, but think you are right regarding "I'm Hungry" SB.
Back to top Go down
StoogesFan

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone ID this Stooges track?   Can anyone ID this Stooges track? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 2:07 pm

sizeable bulge wrote:

I don't think there are any more unreleased Stooges songs in existance. The vault has been cleaned out. Others may disagree but it seems on the Raw Power box set on the track "I'm Hungry" they got Iggy to record a new vocal and then used the music to "Penetration" and tried to pass this off as an unreleased Stooges song. Totally bogus.

For me the jury is still out on "I'm Hungry" until such time as we hear anything officially from Iggy or James.

I disagree about unreleased material. We have had I Got A Right, Gimme Some Skin, Tight Pants, Scene of The Crime and I'm Sick of You from the so-called 'Raw Power Outtakes'. But we know at least three other tracks were recorded at those sessions, including an early version of Search and Destroy. Since the released tracks survived, it would seem likely that the unreleased ones are also around somewhere.

Let us not forget also the rare mixes that are yet to receive a 'proper' release. The original (first pressing) mixes of Search & Destroy and Gimme Danger, plue the original 'Stooges' mixes of Raw Power, Search & Destroy, Hard To Beat and Shake Appeal which have come out on various bootlegs in varying quality. Then there is Michael Tipton, who has an almost complete version of Wet My Bed from the Michigan Palace show in '74. We need Easy Action on the case!
Back to top Go down
sizeable bulge

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone ID this Stooges track?   Can anyone ID this Stooges track? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 2:40 am

StoogesFan wrote:
sizeable bulge wrote:

For me the jury is still out on "I'm Hungry" until such time as we hear anything officially from Iggy or James.

I don't think James had anything to do with it. You're going to believe Iggy? From the same guy who once claimed to have written all the music to Fun House? Forget it. Iggy will never return to The Scene Of His Crime.
Back to top Go down
sizeable bulge

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone ID this Stooges track?   Can anyone ID this Stooges track? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 3:01 am

StoogesFan wrote:
sizeable bulge wrote:

I disagree about unreleased material. Then there is Michael Tipton, who has an almost complete version of Wet My Bed from the Michigan Palace show in '74. We need Easy Action on the case!

I've heard this legend before but what exactly is it based upon? Tipton coughed up the incomplete take of "Heavy Liquid" from the final Stooges show, so why would he have held back an incomplete take of "Wet My Bed"? When he sold these tapes it was long before the concept of "bonus tracks" existed. I'm skeptical about the whole "Tipton Tapes" legend. I think it might be a big bluff.
Back to top Go down
StoogesFan

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone ID this Stooges track?   Can anyone ID this Stooges track? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 12:37 pm

[quote="sizeable bulge"][quote="StoogesFan"]
sizeable bulge wrote:

I've heard this legend before but what exactly is it based upon? Tipton coughed up the incomplete take of "Heavy Liquid" from the final Stooges show, so why would he have held back an incomplete take of "Wet My Bed"? When he sold these tapes it was long before the concept of "bonus tracks" existed. I'm skeptical about the whole "Tipton Tapes" legend. I think it might be a big bluff.

It seems that different tapes exist for the '74 show. They are mentioned in this thread:

https://stoogesforum.forumotion.com/t1841p40-metallic-ko-opinions-and-help-needed

Back to top Go down
neven

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone ID this Stooges track?   Can anyone ID this Stooges track? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2012 11:00 am

[quote="StoogesFan"][quote="sizeable bulge"]
StoogesFan wrote:
sizeable bulge wrote:

It seems that different tapes exist for the '74 show. They are mentioned in this thread:

https://stoogesforum.forumotion.com/t1841p40-metallic-ko-opinions-and-help-needed

tipton gave COPIES from his recordings to the stooges,and from those copies all releases came from.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone ID this Stooges track?   Can anyone ID this Stooges track? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can anyone ID this Stooges track?
Page 1 of 1