Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Interesting interview w/ Scott by MontrealMirror

Go down 
+8
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Angusyd van Hyman
sheddy
x2
Paul T
adams66
mc
homesickjameswilliamson
12 posters
AuthorMessage
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

Interesting interview w/ Scott by MontrealMirror Empty
PostSubject: Interesting interview w/ Scott by MontrealMirror   Interesting interview w/ Scott by MontrealMirror Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2008 1:47 am

The Stooges in stages

Drummer Scott Asheton on the wreckage and resurrection of the prototypical punk band

STILL YOUR DOGS:
Scott Asheton (L), Iggy Pop and Ron Asheton

By CHRIS BARRY

It only took three decades or so after they split up for the world at large to recognize how thoroughly brilliant they were, but Ann Arbor, Michigan band the Stooges, widely considered little more than a sick joke by the time they finally called it a day in 1974, are now right up there alongside Chuck Berry, the Beatles, and the Rolling Stones when people start talking about rock ’n’ roll greatness. The Mirror spoke with drummer Scott Asheton this week, a man who doesn’t generate quite the attention his bandmate Iggy Pop does, but whose contribution to the still unique sound of the Stooges is only underestimated by fools.

Mirror: It’s been awhile now since the Stooges started playing again. Does it still feel fresh?

Scott Asheton: Oh yeah, definitely. We’ve added some more songs. We’re still playing a lot from the first two albums, but also stuff from Raw Power, Skull Ring, The Weirdness.

M: Really, Raw Power?

SA: Yeah, “Search and Destroy” and “I’ve Got a Right”—which isn’t exactly on Raw Power but from the same period.

M: Was it an issue, getting your brother [original guitarist Ron] to play James Williamson’s riffs?

SA: Yeah, but he got over it.

M: Had you personally made any money from the Stooges prior to the reunion?

SA: To tell you the truth, I never really thought that much about money. I just wanted to be in a rock ’n’ roll band. To me, that was like my family, my life. In the ’80s, we started seeing some royalties for the first two albums.
Dark days

M: When you look back at that period, 1967 to ’74, do you remember it fondly or with reservations? Things got pretty dark for the Stooges for a while there.

SA: Nah, nah, I had a great time. When the band broke up it was, like, “Ah, the family is gone,” and I continued playing in bands, but never really felt like I belonged. I wasn’t with the band I should be in, the Stooges. It was mostly just a sad feeling. I had no resentments towards anybody personally. All the time we’d spent loafing and partying had kind of caught up with us. People among us were sick, we weren’t doing very well health-wise.

M: When did you get off smack?

SA: After the band broke up. I was in pretty bad shape. All I had was a drum set. So I sold it and bought a one-way ticket to Detroit, deciding I didn’t want to live that lifestyle anymore. I wanted to get healthier, get back into the swing of things. So I spent a couple years just letting myself recuperate and eventually started playing again, with Fred Smith from the MC5 in Sonic’s Rendezvous.

M: What was the vibe like in that band? Were you guys optimistic about the future or still bummed about how badly everything turned out for your former outfits—the Stooges, MC5, Rationals, etc.?

SA: I was just glad to be in a band. Fred was the leader, he made the decisions. We had enough material for three good albums, he was just waiting for the band to get a little tighter. But then Fred met Patti Smith and they started up their family thing and, uh, that’s how that band ended. That was it, over.
Pop the poet

M: Is it possible, down in your Mom’s basement or something, that there’s still some as-yet-unheard Stooges material hiding somewhere?

SA: Leni Sinclair, [MC5 manager/White Panther Party leader] John Sinclair’s wife, used to do a lot of filming and actually recorded some shows. I think John Sinclair had possession of them, but lost everything in a house fire. All his old materials, photos, films, everything he had, he lost. So unless Leni still has something, John probably would have been the only person to have any recordings.

M: You don’t have any vintage rehearsal tapes lying around or anything?

SA: No, we never taped rehearsals. But things do pop up. Just last week, this guy sent us a copy of a live show in Atlanta from the Raw Power period. Turns out it sounds pretty good. He had it digitally re-mastered and put Pro Tools to it and I think we’re going to buy and release it. It’s rockin’, it’s got Iggy reading some poetry—well, not reading, actually, but just making it up as he goes along, improvising poetry. [starts laughing] Aw man, you’ve got to hear it. I don’t want to give it away, but you have to hear it. You’ll be rolling on the floor—it’s pretty far-out stuff. So yeah, that’ll probably be out soon.

With the Killers, Sebastien Tellier,
the National Parcs and more at Osheaga,
at Parc Jean-Drapeau on Sunday,
Aug. 3, 1 p.m., $67.50, all ages

http://www.montrealmirror.com/2008/073108/music2.html
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Interesting interview w/ Scott by MontrealMirror   Interesting interview w/ Scott by MontrealMirror Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2008 4:03 am

So looks like we got another live cd heading our way before we hear what we wanna hear (unganos anyone?!!!)

though this sounds really promising, iggy reciting/improvising poetry on stage! sounds very cool to me, i'll be gettin this

tho i really hope unganos get to see light, that would be amazing, and especially if it was sold with or beside that coffee table book they were talkin about that would be cool, esp if it was all / mostly unseen photos from the era

and i'd like to hear the electric circus tape, read recently on the board that that is in existance, that would be amazing

always looked at those crazy silver glitterpaint iggy photos and wondered what it was like, hopefully ill get to hear it, if its never released ill try and track down the owner!

but this release sounds promising like i said!
HJW
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Interesting interview w/ Scott by MontrealMirror   Interesting interview w/ Scott by MontrealMirror Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2008 10:40 am

More great news on the release front. I read somewhere that one reviewer thought the Poor Richards Atlanta shows were some of the best the Stooges ever did.
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Interesting interview w/ Scott by MontrealMirror   Interesting interview w/ Scott by MontrealMirror Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2008 11:23 am

Fascinating stuff.
I hope that the Atlanta recording is of decent quality. Scott certainly thinks so, and it has been deemed good enough for the Stooges to endorse it's release, so that is also very good news.
I wonder which show it is?
The Stooges played at Poor Richards club in Atlanta between 08/10/73 and 13/10/73, two shows per night. One of these shows featured the famous Elton John dressed as a gorilla scaring the crap out of Iggy incident. Would it be too much to hope that this (albeit obviously visual occurrence) has been recorded?
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
Paul T

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Interesting interview w/ Scott by MontrealMirror   Interesting interview w/ Scott by MontrealMirror Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2008 5:22 pm

Yeah, intriguing. james Williamson cites this run of dates as being the Stooges' best shows.

Not too sure I'd like to hear the 'gorilla' show, though, I don't think Iggy did that much singing that night.

It promises to be an interesting few months for Stooges live recordings...
Back to top Go down
x2

x2

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Interesting interview w/ Scott by MontrealMirror   Interesting interview w/ Scott by MontrealMirror Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2008 5:26 pm

Absolutely fantastic news.
Back to top Go down
sheddy

sheddy

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: Interesting interview w/ Scott by MontrealMirror   Interesting interview w/ Scott by MontrealMirror Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2008 6:29 pm

Great news.
Thanks for posting the interview.
Back to top Go down
Angusyd van Hyman

Angusyd van Hyman

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2008-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Interesting interview w/ Scott by MontrealMirror   Interesting interview w/ Scott by MontrealMirror Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2008 9:47 pm

Same !
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Interesting interview w/ Scott by MontrealMirror   Interesting interview w/ Scott by MontrealMirror Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2008 9:50 pm

AWESOME !!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Interesting interview w/ Scott by MontrealMirror   Interesting interview w/ Scott by MontrealMirror Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 1:14 am

welcome, just saw it today, thought it was good -not least because of the news of the impending release - but also cos scotty's not interviewed or gives that many interviews, so its good to hear from him

hope it is these 'best shows' show, that would be amazing, and it would be good historically if its the 'Gorilla in the Midst' show

Interesting interview w/ Scott by MontrealMirror Picture1-2
Back to top Go down
Borntohula

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2007-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Interesting interview w/ Scott by MontrealMirror   Interesting interview w/ Scott by MontrealMirror Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2008 12:39 am

Now we all hope for the atlantic one to have a fucking A version of Open up and bleed!
Back to top Go down
napalm_cheetah

napalm_cheetah

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2008-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Interesting interview w/ Scott by MontrealMirror   Interesting interview w/ Scott by MontrealMirror Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 3:14 am

I hope they'll release it. But I wonder why the guy who owns the tapes had to wait this long to release it. But then again, who cares. Better late than never right?
Back to top Go down
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2007-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Interesting interview w/ Scott by MontrealMirror   Interesting interview w/ Scott by MontrealMirror Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 11:44 am

Yep. I'll be buying this...unless the record company would be so kind as to send me a promo copy...haha!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/iggyandthestooges
Funhouse

Funhouse

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Interesting interview w/ Scott by MontrealMirror   Interesting interview w/ Scott by MontrealMirror Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 5:56 pm

Can't wait to hear this release, particularly if, as Paul T says, it was one of an amazing run of shows.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interesting interview w/ Scott by MontrealMirror   Interesting interview w/ Scott by MontrealMirror Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Interesting interview w/ Scott by MontrealMirror
Page 1 of 1