Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

James Williamson news

Go down 
+22
James W. Harris
Stranger09
popmansam
saichan
Radish
napalm_cheetah
dorianmode
Nitebob
neven
james matlock
JW82
Nadja
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
mc
MJG196
Lucas
homesickjameswilliamson
Shakes
G, F#, E
adams66
Loose1969
dereksee
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

James Williamson news - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: James Williamson news   James Williamson news - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 8:22 pm

waow, that is so cool, and he recognised you! thats amazing!

lol, cant stop laughin at iggys windmill thing lol

always knew he was a fan of pete townsend!
Back to top Go down
neven

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: James Williamson news   James Williamson news - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2008 11:46 am

2 years ago a frech guy said there was gonna be a james williamson dvd with intervieuws,anybody ever seen this?
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

Number of posts : 666
Registration date : 2008-02-10

PostSubject: Re: James Williamson news   James Williamson news - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2008 4:22 pm

neven wrote:
2 years ago a frech guy said there was gonna be a james williamson dvd with intervieuws,anybody ever seen this?

Shocked I've never heard about it honestly Smile But I don't know why there would be any reasons to make such a dvd. And also some people enjoy gossiping too Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tosterhead/music
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: James Williamson news   James Williamson news - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2008 10:02 pm

would a james williamson DVd not be, well not boring, but unmarketable, you'd have to slap on ''iggy'' or ''stooges'' or something on to it, no ones gunna release a 'james williamson dvd' just nt gunna happen, no?

and unless it had some brand new, clear, un heard or unseen audio or video on it, no ones gunna buy just an interviews dvd, so its probly BS unfortunately to say, cause i'd probly buy a james williamson DVD lol
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

PostSubject: Re: James Williamson news   James Williamson news - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 6:09 pm

Agree with you, HJW Smile Of course it's not a bad idea. But it should have something like Iggy or Stooges slapped on as you say. That's why I also said why there would be any reason cuz honestly, probably nobody (except a few people) would buy dvd called 'James Williamson' -> cuz most people don't have a clue who he is! (except among Stooges fans) Smile It's like there would be released a 'Ricky Gardiner' dvd -> of course, if you say this guy co-wrote 'Passenger' and played on 'Lust for Life' with Iggy -> then people will recognize Smile But without that, no chance.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: James Williamson news   James Williamson news - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 6:28 pm

JamesWilliamson82 wrote:
Agree with you, HJW Smile probably nobody (except a few people) would buy dvd called 'James Williamson' -> cuz most people don't have a clue who he is! (except among Stooges fans)

true!

don't think the Ashetons are still particularly well-known either, in a general sense. And Watt?
actually of course The Stooges as a whole still aren't that famous!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: James Williamson news   James Williamson news - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 8:11 pm

Nadja wrote:
JamesWilliamson82 wrote:
Agree with you, HJW Smile probably nobody (except a few people) would buy dvd called 'James Williamson' -> cuz most people don't have a clue who he is! (except among Stooges fans)

true!

don't think the Ashetons are still particularly well-known either, in a general sense. And Watt?

The Ashetons are still pretty obscure to most people but Watt is pretty well known cult musician you could probably sell something if it had his name slapped on it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Nitebob

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: James Williamson news   James Williamson news - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 11:52 pm

I picked up the Fretboard Journal with the Williamson guitar in it today. I worked with the Stooges in 1973, and it was nice to see that the guitar was still in his possesion. The black and white circle sticker on the case is from Pastore Music, a shop in the NYC area.
If the author or repairman read this, please send my best regards to James.

Nitebob
Back to top Go down
dereksee

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2008-12-09

PostSubject: Re: James Williamson news   James Williamson news - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 12:13 am

I just responded via pm, nitebob, but I will definitely send your regards to James. The magazine has been delayed a bit (neither James nor myself have recieved our copies yet) but it is showing up on magazine stands.
Back to top Go down
http://dereksdaily45.blogspot.com
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: James Williamson news   James Williamson news - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 5:45 am

Dang, I went to the book store today, but there wasn't a copy of this ! Sad
Back to top Go down
dorianmode

dorianmode

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-12-21

PostSubject: Re: James Williamson news   James Williamson news - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 2:05 pm

This is interesting news! James made such a wonderful contribution to the band! I do think Ron just has the edge over him but that doesn't mean I don't have a great apprecation for his playing. Raw Power ... he used power alright!
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: James Williamson news   James Williamson news - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 2:08 pm

I get really tired of the way that some people assume that if you express a preference for the first two albums you're deliberately 'shutting out' Raw Power and James's work, or something.

Last edited by Nadja on Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
dorianmode

dorianmode

PostSubject: Re: James Williamson news   James Williamson news - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 2:10 pm

Yes, I have noted that tendency sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: James Williamson news   James Williamson news - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 2:11 pm

good to have someone new on here, that I can agree with ... Laughing

Last edited by Nadja on Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dorianmode

dorianmode

PostSubject: Re: James Williamson news   James Williamson news - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 2:14 pm

Yeah! Smile
I've got plenty of time - probably too much - to post on here just now, don't know what it'll be like after the holidays, But I am planning to stick around for a while
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

PostSubject: Re: James Williamson news   James Williamson news - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 3:00 pm

I agree with both of you on that. I've been listening to "Raw Power" lately and its really grown on me especially "Shake Appeal" and "I Need Somebody".
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: James Williamson news   James Williamson news - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 6:51 pm

Nadja wrote:
I get really tired of the way that some people assume that if you express a preference for the first two albums you're deliberately 'shutting out' Raw Power and James's work, or something.

I hear you there.

I prefer the "Ron era", but I also have a shitload of stuff from James' time with the band and love it all. It's pretty much a different band altogether. And variety is a good thing. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: James Williamson news   James Williamson news - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 10:22 pm

Quote :
Nadja wrote:

yeh ano, he had as much to do with stooges as ron, and wasnt he guitarist for longer - beside the current stooges? lol

anyway, i think its arbitrary anyway to choose up sides or to even see it as two different bands, i just see it as different phases of the same band, different eras u'no

ron's my favourite guitarist, but i would love to be able to play like james, its a weird thing, i respect ron more, well i shouldnt say respect, but i am more in awe of ron if that makes sense, still in awe of james but would love to play like him, im not even gunna try and recreate ron! lol - he's that good in my eyes, its like trying to write in dylans style or somethin, not possible u'no they're way up there
Back to top Go down
napalm_cheetah

napalm_cheetah

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2008-05-11

PostSubject: Re: James Williamson news   James Williamson news - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 11:04 pm

I really like Raw Power and james williamsons guitar playing (and Kill City is one of iggy's best albums and ofcourse the other songs from the raw power era) but Ron, on the other hand, is the original stooge guitarist. The first album has a boredom theme to it and I really feel connected to it more than the other albums (at the moment) because I'm almost as old as they were when they recorded it and I am really really bored. Fun house is just mindblowing and it was the first stooges album I bought.
But I think this quote explains it the best in the case of raw power:"In many ways, almost all Raw Power has in common with the two Stooges albums that preceded it is its primal sound, but while the Stooges once sounded like the wildest (and weirdest) gang in town, Raw Power found them heavily armed and ready to destroy the world -- that is, if they didn't destroy themselves first." I pretty much agree. (it's from allmusic.com)

Edit: And I've just realized that I should have posted this at the "Ron Asheton and James Williamson" thread Very Happy but it doesn't really matter
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

PostSubject: Re: James Williamson news   James Williamson news - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 3:20 pm

dereksee wrote:
On 1/23/09, James will be doing an autograph signing at "On The Corner Music" in Campbell, CA to coincide with the magazine

Looking forward to that, cuz it's today Smile
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: James Williamson news   James Williamson news - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 5:28 pm

JamesWilliamson82 wrote:
dereksee wrote:
On 1/23/09, James will be doing an autograph signing at "On The Corner Music" in Campbell, CA to coincide with the magazine

Looking forward to that, cuz it's today Smile

Damn! Still can't believe I used to live there and could have met him myself. SHIT! Mad
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
Radish

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: James Williamson news   James Williamson news - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 5:08 am

Stooges back together?? Not without Ron and surly NOT with Williamson!

Plus, I think if Iggy would ever do anything with Williamson....he'd have to pull a rabbit out of his arse musically.....in order to impress Iggy.

Plus, not too long ago Williamson wanted NOTHING to do with the Stooges...

However, I'm am a little curious to hear he's updated sound and see those vintage raw power photos.....
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

PostSubject: Re: James Williamson news   James Williamson news - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 11:54 am

If theres no Ron theres no Stooges.
Back to top Go down
Radish

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: James Williamson news   James Williamson news - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 7:22 pm

Amen.......

Iggy trusted Ron enough to let him have a major say in picking producer for their debut comeback album, also, trusted Ron enough to teach Watt to play punk bass with a pick and keep it punk simple for the new recordings. Iggy also reforemed with the Asheton's because he couldn't deny their musicality and grit roots...and respect for Ron...

I'll have to post Mike Watt's url to his diary....you'll be somewhat of a fly on the wall, through the journey, of the reformation of the boys.......
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: James Williamson news   James Williamson news - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 9:21 pm

G, F#, E wrote:
If theres no Ron theres no Stooges.

yup, it's simple as that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: James Williamson news   James Williamson news - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

James Williamson news
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next