Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ...

Go down 
+16
elvis plebsley
ohmygawd
don_vercetti
EmmaUK
TED
homesickjameswilliamson
sweet_sixteen
heavy liquid
Chazz Avery
dorianmode
Angusyd van Hyman
Shakes
G, F#, E
Nadja
mc
berlinberlin
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
berlinberlin

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-12-17

How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ... Empty
PostSubject: How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ...   How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 6:34 pm

what impact has it been to you since than? For me it was the late teen-ages when I first heard "Soldier" which impressed me a lot...later on I dicovered more releases....CD's were not out than, or on a very low level...I still remember when I got my first longplayers of the First Album and Raw Power which was really hard to get at the times...I think the first thought which comes to me is "Freedom"...what about you?
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ...   How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 7:27 pm

'twas 1988, I was 16. Heard the Stooges live at the Whisky 73 and have never been the same since...
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ...   How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 8:59 pm

I was quite a late starter compared to other people on here. Let's just say I was no longer a teenager when it happened...
six and a half years ago, just heard the Stooges for the first time when exploring American punk rock, just a few clips from the first album, on a radio documentary. That was the beginning...I've been in thrall to those first two albums in particular and obsessed with the band in a general sense EVER since
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ...   How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 9:04 pm

Heard "The Passenger" on some TV show when I was about 13, found a rather neglected Iggy best of in my Dad's CD collection and heard "I Wanna Be Your Dog". The intro just instantly hit me and realised that was in fact the best song I'd ever heard. I spent a year just listening to it, "No Fun", "Search & Destroy" and "I'm Sick Of You".

When I was 15 I downloaded "Fun House" off of iTunes, it changed the way I thought about stuff (sounds corny but its true), it made me stop taking crap from people and I've been hooked ever since. I punched a bully in the face while listening to "T.V. Eye" Laughing

Then I bought "Raw Power" which grew on me, then I asked for "Metallic KO" for my birthday, which my parents weren't exactly thrilled about Laughing then I went about trying to find loads of bootlegs,which I still am Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Shakes

Shakes

Number of posts : 483
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ...   How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 9:22 pm

G, F#, E wrote:
When I was 15 I downloaded "Fun House" off of iTunes, it changed the way I thought about stuff (sounds corny but its true), it made me stop taking crap from people and I've been hooked ever since. I punched a bully in the face while listening to "T.V. Eye" Laughing

too bad you weren't able to toss that in the liner notes for the re-issued fun house cd set. that beats jack white's write up in a second.
Back to top Go down
Angusyd van Hyman

Angusyd van Hyman

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2008-02-12

PostSubject: Re: How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ...   How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 10:12 pm

Don't remember, probably 14 or 15. Though I've never punched someone, I can say that it changed my behavior. To me, the Stooges are like a dream, like a legend came true, in their history, like Alice Cooper - a bunch of friends who decided they'd live their own way and tell other people to fuck off. I know a lot of bands can match this "description", but to me high school bands are really interesting, probably because the French scolar system is totally different. I mean, it's not a matter of music only, it's a matter of friendship, and some unity against the real world. I was particularly fascinated by Ron from the start, because I felt he was cool without being cool like everybody, being "the weird guy" to everybody and not being cool by being just a follower.
Well, I can't live like the Stooges did, but since I've heard the first album I've decided to stop caring about other people opinion and trying to do my own thing, no matter what they all think.
But I don't find the same vibe with Iggy's solo career, that's why it doesn't interest me that much.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ...   How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 11:37 pm

Shakes wrote:
G, F#, E wrote:

too bad you weren't able to toss that in the liner notes for the re-issued fun house cd set. that beats jack white's write up in a second.

Well I'm not a violent person at all but this guy who used to go to my school hit me and insulted me every day and one day I was listening to "T.V. Eye" he insulted me, something in me just flipped and turned round and punched his square in the face. He left me alone after that lol! Though "Down On The Street" was the song I was listening to when I decided to stop caring about what other people thought of me.
Back to top Go down
dorianmode

dorianmode

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-12-21

PostSubject: Re: How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ...   How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 11:53 pm

Angusyd van Hyman wrote:
I was particularly fascinated by Ron from the start, because I felt he was cool without being cool like everybody, being "the weird guy" to everybody and not being cool by being just a follower.

Same here.

I was 16 when someone recommended Fun House to me. That was it. Not that he told me what it would be actually like...I was expecting just a straightforward, raucous thrashing punk album...haha. How's that for naivety.
Needless to say, that was the best recommendation I ever had.
Back to top Go down
Chazz Avery

Chazz Avery

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ...   How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 10:47 am

It was mid 1970. I was 13 years old. I had been reading about The Stooges in Creem, Circus and Rolling Stone (probably since I was 12 years old). They sounded interesting. Finally, the original Rolling Stone review for "Funhouse" did it. My mother was going shopping and I asked her if she would buy "Funhouse" for me. I anxiously awaited her return. I can still remember seeing her walking into the house. I saw a red album in her hands and I knew what she had. I still have that exact same record.

I don't remember the actual first time I played it but I do know I immediately loved it. Since then, it has been my Bible. Like others have noted above, it not only changed my view of music but it actually changed me and the way I view many things in life. Within a year, I would see my first concert... The Stooges. There was no turning back then.

I still play it at LEAST once a week (usually more). The work I do affords me the opportunity to listen to my CDs. "Funhouse" never leaves the CD case I carry.

Although I don't listen to the sessions set too often, I was in heaven when Rhino put it out.
Back to top Go down
http://beatlesource.com/chazz
Angusyd van Hyman

Angusyd van Hyman

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2008-02-12

PostSubject: Re: How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ...   How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 6:13 pm

Cool story ! Did your mother know what was the album, or the band, about ?
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ...   How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 7:38 pm

Which show was your first gig Chazz?
Back to top Go down
Chazz Avery

Chazz Avery

PostSubject: Re: How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ...   How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 8:25 pm

Angusyd van Hyman wrote:
Cool story ! Did your mother know what was the album, or the band, about ?
I doubt it. I liked a lot of music and had a lot of records. To her, it was just another rock band. However, I do recall describing to her some of Iggy's stage antics that I had been reading about. I don't remember if it was before or after I got the album.

This is the exact album my mother carried into the house that day.
How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ... Funhouse

mc wrote:
Which show was your first gig Chazz?
It was at the Toledo Ohio Sports Arena. It was The Stooges (headliners) with Bob Seger (solo) and The Sunday Funnies and The Frut (both Detroit bands, I believe). I've been trying for years to determine exactly when it was.

I've always remembered that I was 13 years old at that concert and that it was later in 1970 but info I've received on this board leads me to believe it was 1971 (Iggy was silver). In fact, someone recently sent me a tentative date of May 29, 1971 (I would have been 14 by then) which I'm tending to believe. I think my memory of 13 years old was when I first discovered The Stooges and not the age for my first concert. BTW, it was my mother that drove us to the concert.

Here's a pic I took of my best friend in January 1971 with his copy of Funhouse.
How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ... Baker

Last edited by Chazz Avery on Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ...   How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 11:40 pm

Wow that must've been truely great - Stooges in 71, I think they were putting on some wild shows then. Did it feel dangerous? The only thing I suppose I can compare it too is a bit of illicit raving I used to do in 1990/91, it all felt so thrilling at the time.
Back to top Go down
heavy liquid
Admin
heavy liquid

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ...   How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ... Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 4:58 am

Chazz Avery wrote:

Here's a pic I took of my best friend in January 1971 with his copy of Funhouse.
How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ... Baker

Isnt that your friend that passed away?

Chazz Avery

PostSubject: Re: How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ...   How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ... Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 6:20 am

mc wrote:
Wow that must've been truely great - Stooges in 71, I think they were putting on some wild shows then. Did it feel dangerous?
Yeah, it definently had an impact on me. As important a band as The Stooges became in my life, I feel quite privileged to have been able to have seen them during that time.

"Dangerous"? Well, I never quite thought of it that way but I suppose it was a bit. I know my friends and I were awestruck when Iggy took the stage all silver. It was the most bizarre thing we had ever seen. The band churned and oozed through their set and teetered on the brink of chaos.

I first saw this photo of Iggy shortly after the concert and it has always epitomized what I saw at the show...
How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ... Stooges0

heavy liquid wrote:
Isnt that your friend that passed away?
Yes, last April 19th. He was one of the two friends with me at that first concert.
Back to top Go down
sweet_sixteen

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ...   How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 12:40 am

I remember seeing this old rock n roll documentary on tv and it had some clips of the stooges and Iggy's stage antics it also mentioned Raw Power so I downloaded "Search and Destroy" and "Raw Power" (the song) and really liked them. My interest gradually increased and increased until the point today where i'm totally enthralled by everything about them. I guess that was around five years ago, so i guess i was about 18 when they first appeared on my radar.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ...   How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 3:26 pm

In '77 as a 11 year kid..completely glued to the tv screen and totally terrified when they showed Iggy in the Toppop clip of Lust for Life. That was THE main moment for me. Further on as teenager until my 28th I mostly listened to classical music like Bartok/Janacek/Dvorak.. stuff like that. No place for Stooges or Iggy music in my mind frame at all.

Though about 1,5 year ago i found a 2006 Low Lands gig picture of an old Iggy totally wrinkled and sweating like a beast. I hang it in my studio..Iggy always intrigued me. So decided to make work out of this and give The Raw Power LP and Lust for Live LP once got.. a better listen. Also leaped into some great youtube interviews and old concert takes! Iggys Lust For Life and the old early concert takes of the Stooges on youtube got me really hooked. The fever had started. About a year ago now > A severe Stooges junkie. Read all the books in a few months. Got almost all the music - not much a collector of bootleggs though. Got hooked on this forum. Saw 3 Stooges gigs in a year. And made about 20 great paintings on only Stooges and Iggy's music. You can say a productive and successful result from that junkieness pirat A huge impact on life and work!
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ...   How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 5:46 pm

ZinZin wrote:
Further on as teenager until my 28th I mostly listened to classical music like Bartok/Janacek/Dvorak.. stuff like that. No place for Stooges or Iggy music in my mind frame at all.

!

I STILL listen to Dvorak Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ...   How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 6:12 pm

Nadja wrote:
I STILL listen to Dvorak Laughing

I read it in a post of you Nadja.. fun! It's my teen music. cuz my grandfather was a friend of Janacek and wrote some books about him I grew up with loads of classic music. Dvorak was a long time my favorit and Smetana ofcoarse.. But Bartok is still something of the real thing to me in classic music. I hear jazz and punk in his music geek can you imagine that? Love his Divertimento for strings. ok. but this isn't the 'what other music do you listen' thread..
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ...   How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 9:02 pm

Smetana's 'Moldau' is wonderful.

Classical music was my first love - hated pop/rock for years, wouldn't even give it a chance.

Maybe there ought to be a classical music thread.

But to remain connected with this thread....sometimes, looking back, considering how I started out I'm amazed I've ended up becoming such a die-hard Stooges fan.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ...   How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 9:26 pm

great story zin, you should post some pictures of your stooges inspired paintings!

Quote :

Maybe there ought to be a classical music thread.

definitely, you both seem to have a great knowledge of it, and ive always been on the outside looking in with classical music, never knew what to listen to to get me started so it'd be great to know what got you started and what i should look into
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ...   How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 9:43 pm

Let's start a recommended classical music thread in Other Bands - I've be turned on to classical by my wife who was a piano teacher, but I'm always looking for new things to hear.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ...   How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 12:44 am

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
great story zin, you should post some pictures of your stooges inspired paintings!
nah.. This forum works the best for Stooges stuff.. not somebody else's paintings.. or classical music i.e. I guess
and i'm not much of a talker/writer about my music taste.. as you probably noticed Smile
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ...   How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 12:57 am

go ahead, aleast put them up in the general topics part of the the forum, you dont have to explain them, it would just nice to them, is it a hobby or profession?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ...   How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 1:05 am

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
go ahead, aleast put them up in the general topics part of the the forum, you dont have to explain them, it would just nice to them, is it a hobby or profession?
It's my profession.. don't wanna mix it here to much. thanks HJW for your curiosity Smile i'll pm you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ...   How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ...
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next