Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

 

 The Stooges Love Album!

Go down 
+4
homesickjameswilliamson
JW82
Angusyd van Hyman
world's forgotten boy
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
world's forgotten boy

world's forgotten boy


Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2008-04-12

The Stooges Love Album! Empty
PostSubject: The Stooges Love Album!   The Stooges Love Album! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 12:32 am

I have been listening to the debut album today, and to me it seems that every song on the whole album are some sort of "love" song... Anyone else ever realized this?

Hehe, I know it's a strange topic, but I have never realized it before now!
Back to top Go down
Angusyd van Hyman

Angusyd van Hyman


Number of posts : 264
Age : 30
Registration date : 2008-02-12

The Stooges Love Album! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Love Album!   The Stooges Love Album! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 12:37 am

Never realized this myself! Don't know, maybe it's because Iggy wrote about kids, about their preoccupations and all, and that "love" had a certain importance...
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82


Number of posts : 666
Location : Olympus Mons, Mars
Registration date : 2008-02-10

The Stooges Love Album! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Love Album!   The Stooges Love Album! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 12:47 am

Yeah..'Dog' is definately a love song..LOL Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tosterhead/music
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson


Number of posts : 3439
Age : 32
Location : Stoogeland
Registration date : 2007-07-07

The Stooges Love Album! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Love Album!   The Stooges Love Album! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 6:19 am

thats true though, dog is a love song....in a way lol

i never thought of it like that, though i suppose at their age they were constantly thinkin about gettin laid, a pre-occupation with sex

personally, i get what most people get, boredom, as the main message

btw, how is 1969 a love song?

i can get dog/ann/real cool time/little doll (maybe not right, love song in reverse maybe "she's not right"...)

but 1969? we will fall? no fun? well maybe no fun "no fun to be around / walking by myself"
Back to top Go down
nick




Number of posts : 30
Age : 29
Registration date : 2009-01-17

The Stooges Love Album! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Love Album!   The Stooges Love Album! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 10:18 am

we will fall is the biggest love song on the album. Not even ann beats it. and it's certainly more of a love song than dog.

no fun and not right are definites.
"in love with nobody else"; "i want somethin, tonight."

I'd say 1969 is the only one that isn't.
you might have been confused by the fact that he sings "baby" to the listener.
Back to top Go down
world's forgotten boy

world's forgotten boy


Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2008-04-12

The Stooges Love Album! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Love Album!   The Stooges Love Album! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 11:04 am

Yeah, I was thinking that to, 1969 is the only one I think... That's the only one I really can agree with! I don't mean love songs in the normal matter, but most of the songs seem to deal with it in one way or another. Like "No Fun" where he doesn't have the girl he's in love with: 'No fun to be around, Walking by myself, No fun to be alone, In love with nobody else'.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja


Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

The Stooges Love Album! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Love Album!   The Stooges Love Album! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 1:08 pm

'1969' doesn't seem to deal with the love theme, altho it talks about 'me and you' and the ref. to 'baby' as nick said
I've never imagined 'Real Cool Time' as being much of a love song either somehow, don't know why!


Last edited by Nadja on Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Lucas




Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2008-01-21

The Stooges Love Album! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Love Album!   The Stooges Love Album! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 1:27 pm

Dog and real cool time are about sex, not love
No fun isn't a love song just because the word love is in it
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja


Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

The Stooges Love Album! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Love Album!   The Stooges Love Album! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 1:42 pm

well broadly speaking we're talking about the 'love song' category
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E


Number of posts : 2307
Age : 29
Location : Scotland
Registration date : 2008-05-06

The Stooges Love Album! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Love Album!   The Stooges Love Album! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 6:22 pm

"I Wanna Be Your Dog" can be interprettated as a love song or a purely sexual song. "Real Cool Time" is a purely sexual song.

"Little Doll", "Ann" and "We Will Fall" are love songs though. And "Not Right" is just about a disfunctional relationship.

"No Fun" and "1969" are not definetly not love songs they're about being bored.

Don't look deeper into them, Iggy wanted the messages to be clear and direct on the first album.
Back to top Go down
world's forgotten boy

world's forgotten boy


Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2008-04-12

The Stooges Love Album! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Love Album!   The Stooges Love Album! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:38 am

Why would he sing 'No fun to be around, Walking by myself, No fun to be alone, In love with nobody else' then? He's not in love with anybody else, just her, and his lonely because he doesen't have her. Those lines are pretty direct!

A definition of a love song is impossible to say, but it doesen't have to be happy or about a relationship I say!
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja


Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

The Stooges Love Album! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Love Album!   The Stooges Love Album! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 12:55 pm

world's forgotten boy wrote:
Why would he sing 'No fun to be around, Walking by myself, No fun to be alone, In love with nobody else' then? He's not in love with anybody else, just her, and his lonely because he doesen't have her. Those lines are pretty direct!

!

I get the sense that he means that he's not able to connect with anybody else at all outside of himself, that he's NOT able to be in love with anybody, so he has to sing about being bored and frustrated instead.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E


Number of posts : 2307
Age : 29
Location : Scotland
Registration date : 2008-05-06

The Stooges Love Album! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Love Album!   The Stooges Love Album! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 8:12 pm

world's forgotten boy wrote:
Why would he sing 'No fun to be around, Walking by myself, No fun to be alone, In love with nobody else' then? He's not in love with anybody else, just her, and his lonely because he doesen't have her. Those lines are pretty direct!

A definition of a love song is impossible to say, but it doesen't have to be happy or about a relationship I say!

He also says "Freak out, for another day". Its just about being bored. Nobody to love, no drugs, no fun. Take the lyrics of the songs off the first album at face value, Iggy wanted them to be that way.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




The Stooges Love Album! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Love Album!   The Stooges Love Album! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 11:11 pm

woow Nadja i hear and understand in No Fun almost the opposite of what you are sayin.
more that he lost. very capable of connecting in love with that special girl. and not capable to find another love yet. to me it's a sort of 'lost love song' without the sadness most songs with this theme have. just with anger.. cuz stuck in the in between time. no boredom at all if you hear Ron's long guitar riff. He asks Ron to show how he's feelin.. and that sounds pretty nasty.
funny how interpretation works.
Back to top Go down
world's forgotten boy

world's forgotten boy


Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2008-04-12

The Stooges Love Album! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Love Album!   The Stooges Love Album! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 12:48 am

ZinZin wrote:
woow Nadja i hear and understand in No Fun almost the opposite of what you are sayin.
more that he lost. very capable of connecting in love with that special girl. and not capable to find another love yet. to me it's a sort of 'lost love song' without the sadness most songs with this theme have. just with anger.. cuz stuck in the in between time. no boredom at all if you hear Ron's long guitar riff. He asks Ron to show how he's feelin.. and that sounds pretty nasty.
funny how interpretation works.

exactly! well said!
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja


Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

The Stooges Love Album! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Love Album!   The Stooges Love Album! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 11:15 pm

ZinZin wrote:
woow Nadja i hear and understand in No Fun almost the opposite of what you are sayin.
more that he lost. very capable of connecting in love with that special girl. and not capable to find another love yet. to me it's a sort of 'lost love song' without the sadness most songs with this theme have. just with anger.. cuz stuck in the in between time. no boredom at all if you hear Ron's long guitar riff. He asks Ron to show how he's feelin.. and that sounds pretty nasty.
funny how interpretation works.

don't you think boredom is a fairly important theme of this song tho? don't the words 'no fun to hang around feeling that same old way' convey that the singer feels his life is just so monotonous, also 'maybe go out maybe stay home' - a sense of weary apathy
Of course there isn't any boredom in the actual MUSIC

sure he'd like to fall in love but he can't, I get what yre saying about the 'sadness' attached to that, but that's not the most important thing of this song for me, or rather what's most important about it is that it's one of the things that's conducive to his essential state of boredom and frustration

and the way he's feeling, like I said it's frustration, and he works it off thru the music and building up to those gigantic screams and stuff...he finds a release, and goes from saying 'no fun' to 'yeah my man' which obviously sounds a lot more positive


Last edited by Nadja on Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




The Stooges Love Album! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Love Album!   The Stooges Love Album! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 11:45 pm

Hi Nadja,

I think you find the boredeom in the actual music, in Rons
guitar, repeating the same riff over and over again.
Till towards the end when he lets us how he *really* feels ;-)
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja


Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

The Stooges Love Album! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Love Album!   The Stooges Love Album! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 9:47 am

OUTBURST wrote:
Hi Nadja,

I think you find the boredeom in the actual music, in Rons
guitar, repeating the same riff over and over again.
Till towards the end when he lets us how he *really* feels ;-)

Well, it certainly isn't boring music. And of course it's very far from being the only Stooges track to feature a constantly repeating riff
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




The Stooges Love Album! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Love Album!   The Stooges Love Album! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 3:37 pm

Nadja wrote:

don't you think boredom is a fairly important theme of this song tho? don't the words 'no fun to hang around feeling that same old way' convey that the singer feels his life is just so monotonous, also 'maybe go out maybe stay home' - a sense of weary apathy
Of course there isn't any boredom in the actual MUSIC
Nadja, to me it's really no boredom. Dunno how to explain it.. it's about an apathetic anger, something under the skin what makes you unable to do anything except for strolling around and doing nothing. very possible that you call that boredom. I rather call it an un-restlessness (if that word exists)
Boredom to me has to do with a very calm and easy state of mind.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja


Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

The Stooges Love Album! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Love Album!   The Stooges Love Album! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 5:27 pm

different ways of using words I suppose. I think boredom can and generally does contain elements of anger, angst, frustration, etc.
Back to top Go down
world's forgotten boy

world's forgotten boy


Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2008-04-12

The Stooges Love Album! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Love Album!   The Stooges Love Album! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 10:15 pm

Restlessness and Frustration as an effect of not getting what he wants... That's what I say! I feel exactly like that myself right now, I'm in love with someone, and it didn't work out, but I'm still not in love with anybody else, cause I can't get her outta my head... Even when I try, so I walk around and have no fun... Well, that's just how I see the song, and that's maybe why I noticed it in the first place! Smile
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E


Number of posts : 2307
Age : 29
Location : Scotland
Registration date : 2008-05-06

The Stooges Love Album! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Love Album!   The Stooges Love Album! Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 12:45 am

Nadja wrote:
different ways of using words I suppose. I think boredom can and generally does contain elements of anger, angst, frustration, etc.

Yeah I completly agree with this.

Boredom leaves you frustrated and angry. There's nothing to do ("no fun") - no relationship ("in love with no body else"), no drugs ("freak out for another day"). All he feels are the same monotenous emotions over and over again ("feeling that same old way").

There's things he could do ("maybe go out, mabe stay home, maybe call mom on the telephone") but those are all very boring everyday things.

"No Fun" is about what it says - being bored. And boredom leads to frustration eventually hence why Iggy screams at the end and Ron's solo when Iggy says "tell 'em how I feel".

It isn't a love song at all.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson


Number of posts : 3439
Age : 32
Location : Stoogeland
Registration date : 2007-07-07

The Stooges Love Album! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Love Album!   The Stooges Love Album! Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 2:44 am

this is a great topic, i never thought so much about it, i had always, as G stated earlier on as iggys intention, taken it at face value

i agree with Gs statement above totally

the lyrics are amazing arent they, theyre so simple but so effective
"maybe go out, maybe stay home, maybe call mom on the telephone" - i think thats amazing
Back to top Go down
world's forgotten boy

world's forgotten boy


Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2008-04-12

The Stooges Love Album! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Love Album!   The Stooges Love Album! Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 3:40 am

G, F#, E wrote:
Nadja wrote:
different ways of using words I suppose. I think boredom can and generally does contain elements of anger, angst, frustration, etc.

Yeah I completly agree with this.

Boredom leaves you frustrated and angry. There's nothing to do ("no fun") - no relationship ("in love with no body else"), no drugs ("freak out for another day"). All he feels are the same monotenous emotions over and over again ("feeling that same old way").

There's things he could do ("maybe go out, mabe stay home, maybe call mom on the telephone") but those are all very boring everyday things.

"No Fun" is about what it says - being bored. And boredom leads to frustration eventually hence why Iggy screams at the end and Ron's solo when Iggy says "tell 'em how I feel".

It isn't a love song at all.

I'm not saying this song is not about anything else; of course it's about boredom. But many of this songs deal with having someone and losing them in a way. I’m not saying this album is all about love, I say that the songs deal with relationships in a way or another. But aren’t all songs always about what you are thinking yourself. What you think they are about and what they mean to you! I hate when musicians say what the songs are really about, because it's never about what you thought or what you wanted them to be.

I think you guys put too much into the essence of normal love songs. It’s wasn’t that I was trying to prove in any way! Smile
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E


Number of posts : 2307
Age : 29
Location : Scotland
Registration date : 2008-05-06

The Stooges Love Album! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Love Album!   The Stooges Love Album! Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 1:50 pm

world's forgotten boy wrote:
G, F#, E wrote:
Nadja wrote:
different ways of using words I suppose. I think boredom can and generally does contain elements of anger, angst, frustration, etc.

Yeah I completly agree with this.

Boredom leaves you frustrated and angry. There's nothing to do ("no fun") - no relationship ("in love with no body else"), no drugs ("freak out for another day"). All he feels are the same monotenous emotions over and over again ("feeling that same old way").

There's things he could do ("maybe go out, mabe stay home, maybe call mom on the telephone") but those are all very boring everyday things.

"No Fun" is about what it says - being bored. And boredom leads to frustration eventually hence why Iggy screams at the end and Ron's solo when Iggy says "tell 'em how I feel".

It isn't a love song at all.

I'm not saying this song is not about anything else; of course it's about boredom. But many of this songs deal with having someone and losing them in a way.

Not having anybody in "No Fun" is just named as another thing thats boring just in the same way that he finds hanging around boring.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content





The Stooges Love Album! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Love Album!   The Stooges Love Album! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
The Stooges Love Album!
Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: