Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Th first day of practice

Go down 
+28
sway
Rob Gallucci
napalm_cheetah
dorianmode
StoogesMySpaceAdmin
trailerborn
Nadja
Natalie
don_vercetti
Radish
gazatthebop
MJG196
james matlock
Avenging Robot
freemind
dereksee
popmansam
sweet_sixteen
Cherry
Loco Mosquito
soldier
jimmyo
TED
homesickjameswilliamson
adams66
Loose1969
studioguy
cb
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
don_vercetti

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Th first day of practice - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 1:29 am

Radish wrote:
I'm sure they got someone to stand in for Iggy (sing his parts) .....???

They could even practice without a singer...just run through the songs over and over again......then bring a stand in later to tighten up.......???

Haven't been on for a while .....stopping by to say hello.....and look at Ronnie's photos..... Smile

they will just practice with no singer, lots of bands do it with singers who are somewhat primadonnaish.
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 5:11 am

I see nothing unusual in practicing without the lead singer. I've done it myself. In fact, at one point I covered a few on my own, and wound up singing them myself in the end.

Maybe Scott will sing "Loose" for us? Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 5:50 am

The Stooges rehearshed without Iggy in the old days. They would go to the studio a few hours before Iggy was scheduled to be there. Both Scott and James should be used to it. I bet it is like old home week for those two.

Rob, I hope you did not mean to call Iggy a prima Donna and were just using the term in general. I can think of a lot of names to call the Ig, many of them I have used myself. But one that I would never use for him is prima donna. LMAO

Steve, I know you were joking but I have heard Scott sing and he is a very good singer.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 11:12 am

Natalie wrote:
I have heard Scott sing and he is a very good singer.

when they first formed the band, or when they first got together with the idea of forming a band, didn't they want scott to be the singer?
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 5:35 pm

Natalie wrote:

Steve, I know you were joking but I have heard Scott sing and he is a very good singer.

Really? Interesting. I wonder why he never got at least a couple of backing vocals in. Maybe he will when they do "Kill City". Wink
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 6:23 pm

Nadja,

Yes, there was a fleeting minute when they discussed who would perform and what they would play, that Scott might be the singer. That would have been a different band!!! One can only imagine.

Steve, when I heard Scott sing it was not during any shows. It was backstage. It would be wonderful if he did sing this time around. He surely gets my vote.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 6:32 pm

thats cool, never knew he could sing, i remember reading the thing about him being the frontman

i think scott would've been a cool frontman, he has a presence in those early photos, esp the mick rock photos of raw power rehearsals, he looks so cool, he would've been like morrison without the shamanistic thing lol

but hes a drummer through and through, he and Ron just looked like they were born to play those instruments, like keith richards or hendrix, its like its a part of them

if scott sings, does he or did he ever, play guitar?
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 6:53 pm

natalie, now I can't help asking, did you ever hear any of the others sing too? apart from iggy I mean of course!
(maybe I should've backtracked to the trivia thread for this, sorry)
Back to top Go down
Radish

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 8:32 pm

Natalie!!! Boy...who would have thought Scotty could sing!? What a great surprise!

I agree.....it seems as though the boys were born into their instruments!

Hope you're well Natalie! Good to see you're still here.... we appreciate it mucho........

Leaving tomorrow for holiday.......be well....Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 3:58 am

Nadja,

I never heard Dave sing in the dressing room. Of course Ron always did some backing vocals in the early days.

HJW,

Scott also could play bass guitar in the early days.

Radish,

Yes, I am still here and still having fun. I love this forum. Everybody is terrific!

Natalie
Back to top Go down
trailerborn

trailerborn

Number of posts : 411
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 5:27 am

New interview with Williamson in Rolling Stone:

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/09/03/stooges-reunite-with-raw-power-guitarist-prep-atp-gig-and-tour/

The Stooges are rehearsing tunes from all three LP's + Kill City.

I hope it's just 'Dog' + 'Down on the Street' from the first two. I'd just as soon they left Ron's songs alone.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 12:14 pm

trailerborn wrote:
. I'd just as soon they left Ron's songs alone.

I feel the same, altho of course they can do anything they like. And part of me is curious to hear how James will make those songs sound...altho not enough to make me rejoice over the idea

and thanks again Natalie for yr info...didn't know about Ron's backing vocals ... or Scott's bass guitar! Talk about talented!
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 4:58 pm

i would've thought they would do what they've always done and leave Rons songs to Ron and James' to James - although they did start to play raw power songs again with Ron, so i dunno

i suppose they want to do it in homage, or tribute, which is good, they're amazing songs, so theres no point in just letting them become history and im sure if they dont do them well they wont do them

i think if it sounds good, then thats all they need, i think it would be a great tribute to keep Rons songs alive, and theres also the market to think about, we all know the songs, but regular festival goers will only know dog, no fun etc, so they'll have to play those songs to remind people who they are maybe, not sure but i think if its done well i can think of no better tribute to Ron
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 1:28 am

I think the most gracious and best way to pay homage to Ron and to Dave is to include some of the songs that both of them wrote with Iggy and Scott. I would really dislike it if that pretty music becomes just part of history. The best tribute is to keep all the Stooges music alive . JMHO It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 5:02 am

Natalie wrote:
I think the most gracious and best way to pay homage to Ron and to Dave is to include some of the songs that both of them wrote with Iggy and Scott. I would really dislike it if that pretty music becomes just part of history. The best tribute is to keep all the Stooges music alive . JMHO It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Natalie is absolutely right.

Listen people, I miss Ron terribly. But after a time, I feel that as long as the RIGHT people are playing the songs, they deserve to be heard. We still have the recordings with Ron to cherish forever, but let's not deny the people the privilege of hearing these wonderful songs live. James is still part of the Stooges legacy. As is Mike & Steve at this point. And above all, let's not deny SCOTT the pleasure of carrying on his brother's legacy. He got a right... Wink

I for one will support the "new" Stooges any way I can. Preferably by buying tix to a show.
Back to top Go down
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2007-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 5:27 am

And hopefully an album!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/iggyandthestooges
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 5:49 am

StoogesMySpaceAdmin wrote:
And hopefully an album!

Shit yeah...that too! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dorianmode

dorianmode

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 3:34 pm

It's going to be interesting certainly. I cannot help but wonder just how James will approach the Ron material. I can't wait to hear and find out.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 6:53 pm

Natalie wrote:

well summed up, of course this is true, and I am rational enough to know it. I'm just such a Ron fanatic, and always will be I guess, so my instinctive reaction is always, NO-one else should even attempt his songs, because every other player is gonna fall well short. That's the only sense in which I don't instantly warm to the idea. But this reformed band, with James, a true Stooge, doing those songs, is unquestionably the next best thing, seeing that Ron is no longer here Smile
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 7:50 pm

Nadja,

Nobody longs for the days of the original Stooges more than I do. Well maybe Scott and Iggy and maybe Kathy, but you get my drift. When I first heard that James was re-joining my initial reaction was " no way" because I felt that nobody could replace Ron or play the way Ron played.

I still maintain my original thought. However, James was a Stooge for a very long time. Among the newer fans, it seems like there is the Ron camp and the James camp. Back in the day, some of the best shows were when Ron and James both played guitar. When Ron switched to bass, bruised feelings aside, Ron or James did not let it affect their artistry or the music.

James is a damn fine guitarist. I am sure he will do Ron proud. If Ron played some of James' songs toward the end, I think Ron would be okay with James doing his songs. I think he would be pleased that his legacy is going to thrive.

Having said all that, I still pine for the old days.

I am looking forward to this incarnation since it is the best we will get.
Back to top Go down
napalm_cheetah

napalm_cheetah

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2008-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 9:35 pm

Natalie wrote:
Nadja,

Nobody longs for the days of the original Stooges more than I do. Well maybe Scott and Iggy and maybe Kathy, but you get my drift. When I first heard that James was re-joining my initial reaction was " no way" because I felt that nobody could replace Ron or play the way Ron played.

I still maintain my original thought. However, James was a Stooge for a very long time. Among the newer fans, it seems like there is the Ron camp and the James camp. Back in the day, some of the best shows were when Ron and James both played guitar. When Ron switched to bass, bruised feelings aside, Ron or James did not let it affect their artistry or the music.

James is a damn fine guitarist. I am sure he will do Ron proud. If Ron played some of James' songs toward the end, I think Ron would be okay with James doing his songs. I think he would be pleased that his legacy is going to thrive.

Having said all that, I still pine for the old days.

That was very nicely put Smile.

Nadja wrote:
and thanks again Natalie for yr info...didn't know about Ron's backing vocals
He does some of it on Raw Power.
Back to top Go down
Rob Gallucci

Rob Gallucci

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 12:06 am

I think quite a few fans have mixed feelings about this.

While James is, for sure, a damn fine guitarist, it is also true that nobody will ever recreate Ron's playing. No debate needed on either of these points.

Personally, I would prefer them to stick to the RP era songs - there is easily a set's worth once you include some of the many great songs that did not get onto the RP album.
For me, that would actually be more respectful to Ron's memory, because to my mind Ron is irreplaceable in the same way that Lennon was to McCartney or Keith is to Mick. I say this as a Stooges fan for well over 30 years.
Alternatively, I think I would be more comfortable if the band did some songs off the first 2 albums as a very specific tribute, only at their first public gig.

My initial feeling was: No Ron = No Stooges whatsoever.
However, I truly believe now that Ron would be happy to see his brother and friends continue to succeed.
I also think that if Ron could choose anyone to try to nail his fantastic basslines from the RP era, it would be Mike. I hope they turn the bass up LOUD when they play!

Please, don't anyone get pissed off by my thoughts on the band performing Ron's songs - that's all they are: my personal thoughts at this time.

And to pick up on one of Natalie's comments - I CAN'T WAIT to receive the EA box set to finally hear Ron and James both playing guitar together.
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

Number of posts : 840
Registration date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 12:46 am

Rob Gallucci wrote:
I think quite a few fans have mixed feelings about this.

Along with all my friends who liked the Stooges, we bought Raw Power first and then went backwards for the other two, so for us James is the Stooges guitar player and Ron was the bass player. Ron was an amazing guitarist and bassist, but it took us awhile to grasp the Ron/Dave version of the Stooges.

It's all a matter of perspective and what for us came first, but this is the version that we REALLY want to see as we never had the chance.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm ripping on Ron because I love the first 2 albums also.
Back to top Go down
http://belowgroundsound.com
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2007-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 1:32 am

Natalie wrote:

Same here. This incarnation is better than nothing. Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/iggyandthestooges
sway

sway

Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2009-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 9:34 am

i prefer ron's playin (most of the time) to james'...simply because there is a certain naturalness/artsiness to it...something incredibly unique.

however....ive got a gut feeling this new line up of the stooges is gonna kick the last ones ass...considering all the hostility from the past...and all the emotion behind the recent death of a stooge...theres a LOT to play off of. theres a lot to be inspired by.

im excited, and thats that.

james is a no bullshit type of guy....if his old ways have stuck with him, hes not gonna settle for anything half assed.

...just, my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Th first day of practice
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: