Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

"The Stooges Head On"

Go down 
+26
G, F#, E
Cato
sweet_sixteen
TED
kaiserken
birchy
runningfromthepain
MJG196
HoundDog
mc
tompa67
napalm_cheetah
Chemmy
Donald
adams66
StoogesFan
sway
ElRoi
Natalie
Nadja
Garageman
studioguy
trailerborn
krugersoldier
larry fine
pernil
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
runningfromthepain

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-08-13

"The Stooges Head On" - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges Head On"   "The Stooges Head On" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2009 1:26 pm

wild love would be a worthy song
Back to top Go down
birchy

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2009-04-12

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges Head On"   "The Stooges Head On" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2009 5:18 pm

Hope they do record some of that old demo stuff,
what nobody seems to mention is how great Ron's bass playing is on that stuff...! specially Head on,Sick of You and I got a Right.
Step up to the plate Mike Watt.....!!!
Back to top Go down
Chemmy

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2008-06-10

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges Head On"   "The Stooges Head On" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2009 7:12 pm

Natalie wrote:
I must take exception to those of you who think Iggy no longer can relate to how he felt when he wrote Open Up And Bleed.
I think he remembers everything he went through to get where he is now every time he looks in the mirror.

To quote Mr Pop at the book signing "I have had a hard life". I know that to be true as I was around for 4 of those hard years.

Don't under estimate Iggy. If anybody can pull it off, it is Iggy!

i dont doubt he can remember how he felt when he wrote 'open up and bleed' but that lyric is about being in the most rocking, fucked up band in the world and getting no respect, knowing you're on the way down and out.... i just dont see the point in recording it for an album when that time has been and gone... just my opinion anyway.
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges Head On"   "The Stooges Head On" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2009 9:45 pm

Chemmy,

I get your point and respect your opinion. Somebody came up with the idea to record these songs officially. Iggy said it is going to happen.

My point was that I know he can still relate to the times back in the day. When the songs are completed, then we can decide to purchase them and listen. As fans we have the choice to indulge or not. I do think we should not pre-judge before hearing the finished product.

That was what I was saying.

Natalie
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

Number of posts : 528
Registration date : 2009-09-10

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges Head On"   "The Stooges Head On" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2009 10:22 pm

Donald wrote:
Perhaps they should consider spending a bit of money on the producer this time. Rick Rubin would probably do a decent job. It'll be interesting to hear studio versions of these and I'd love it if it happened. It might even work mixing up new and old if they were the same quality (of song and recording).

YES to Rick Rubin as producer. The man should have received a Congressional Medal of Honor for giving back to a completely undeserving public that had all but turned its back on a national treasure in Johnny Cash. From what I understand, JC didn't even have a recording contract and for all intents and purposes had given up on the music industry when his management received a phone call from Rubin. Rubin has proven over and over again that he can get the best out of any performer in any area of music. So yes, Rick Ruben as producer.
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges Head On"   "The Stooges Head On" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2009 10:29 pm

napalm_cheetah wrote:
Chemmy wrote:
personally i don't see the point. they'll not have the same energy or effect as the demos and live stuff... i don't think iggy is in the same mind frame as he was when he wrote the lyrics. i doubt he relates to the song 'open up and bleed' anymore...
If he can't relate doesn't mean that he has forgotten how he felt when he wrote those songs. I think it can be done. And about the question on what producer, I think James can do it. He has done it before and why not now?

I was thinking "Till the end of the night" to be recorded but I think it's pretty good as it is; the two versions that is out I mean.

I would agree that James would be a good choice as producer, but he has a lot on his plate just getting back into the groove of making intense music after a long time away. He needs to be concentrating on writing with Ig and laying down kick ass guitar licks, not positioning microphones and tweaking knobs. Not to mention as producer it puts him in a different place than just being one of the band members and the fact that he was producing Soldier when he and Ig split. I think Rubin is the most logical choice. If anybody working in the industry today can recapture that original Stooges sound it would be him. Not to mention he has his own label. It would be a perfect marriage.

Last edited by ElRoi on Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kaiserken

kaiserken

Registration date : 2009-07-07

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges Head On"   "The Stooges Head On" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2009 10:31 pm

I think re-recording the old tunes would be a mistake. I think there is also a great risk in recording new stuff. The Stooges are my all time favorite rock band, but their legacy is just too strong. I think putting out The Weirdness didn't add anything to their legacy. That being said...

I think Iggy and the Stooges should record all of their live shows coming up and put out a live document sometime next year. A C.D./DVD set including old stuff, unreleased stuff, etc. There's a better chance to capture the band as they are; in front of a great crowd, fired-up to be playing those tunes again. If they get back into a studio there's too much time to second guess and/or be influenced by a producer. If they simply must record new material, let them do that in a proper studio with a decent/sympathetic producer. It's just such a risk. I can't think of one band that has tried to add a footnote to their career with ant sucess.
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges Head On"   "The Stooges Head On" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2009 10:41 pm

Natalie wrote:
I must take exception to those of you who think Iggy no longer can relate to how he felt when he wrote Open Up And Bleed.
I think he remembers everything he went through to get where he is now every time he looks in the mirror.

To quote Mr Pop at the book signing "I have had a hard life". I know that to be true as I was around for 4 of those hard years.

Don't under estimate Iggy. If anybody can pull it off, it is Iggy!

Here, here Ms. Natalie. Just watch the in-store appearance on the Live in Detroit DVD, Ig explains the basis of almost all of those songs. This is no drug addled shell of a once great performer like poor old Ozzy Osbourne. Iggy seems to have his shit together and looks to be in incredible physical condition for a 62 year old man that has lived as fast and hard as he has in those 62 years. Ig is a very intelligent person. Just read the book Open Up and Bleed and you get a sense that this man could have done great things in any sector of society if he had decided on another path. Let's just thank the gods that he decided to make his life in music and in doing so change music for the better. The Stooges gave rock music its cock and balls back.
Back to top Go down
TED
A funhouse boy will steal your heart away
TED

Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges Head On"   "The Stooges Head On" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 2:35 am

Stooges are the BEST band ever
Back to top Go down
sweet_sixteen

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges Head On"   "The Stooges Head On" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 4:59 am

tompa67 wrote:
I agree with Natalie, Over my dead body is truly great.
Along with You don´t want my name.
Loved them since the firtst time i heard the 1971 recordings..

I thought i'd heard of all the demos out there but it seems this one has escaped my attention...can you give any details about it?
Back to top Go down
kaiserken

kaiserken

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges Head On"   "The Stooges Head On" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 5:09 am

Rick Rubin did a great job with the Cash records. He could make the Stooges sound deep and mighty, just like CASH sounded.
Great technique on Johnny's vocals....
Back to top Go down
sweet_sixteen

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges Head On"   "The Stooges Head On" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 6:04 am

kaiserken wrote:
Rick Rubin did a great job with the Cash records. He could make the Stooges sound deep and mighty, just like CASH sounded.

Wasn't he supposed to have been on board to produce their aborted reunion album circa 1999, after which Ron ended up using the Stooges riffs for the Velvet Goldmine soundtrack?
Back to top Go down
kaiserken

kaiserken

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges Head On"   "The Stooges Head On" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 9:03 am

Sweet sixteen,
I think you're right about that. I love the picture of Ron you have.
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges Head On"   "The Stooges Head On" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 5:10 am

sweet_sixteen wrote:
kaiserken wrote:

Wasn't he supposed to have been on board to produce their aborted reunion album circa 1999, after which Ron ended up using the Stooges riffs for the Velvet Goldmine soundtrack?
The Stooges were going to get back together in '99 and Rubin was going to produce a album ?!?! Man, what happened?

Velvet Goldmine soundtrack:
Curt Wilde's band Wylde Ratttz were Ron Asheton, Sonic Youth's Thurston Moore and Steve Shelley, Minutemen's Mike Watt, Gumball's Don Fleming, and Mark Arm of Mudhoney. Unbelievably, they had only 1 song on the sound track: "T.V. Eye" (vocals by Ewan McGregor).
What was Mark Arm doing if McGregor was doing the vocals?
Back to top Go down
Cato

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2009-06-05

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges Head On"   "The Stooges Head On" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 9:58 pm

You can download Wylde Ratttz here:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LRSXBL0C
Uploaded by G F# E
Back to top Go down
Cato

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges Head On"   "The Stooges Head On" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 10:10 pm

I have been reading this topic since Per posted the first wish list and I have for many years hoped that all the lost Stooges tunes one day would be proper recorded.

There are so many of them that it is enough to make a couple of CD’s
The guys are playing again and I hope they will continue to make records as well – and I hope they don’t repeat the ”The weirdness” mistake. The only reason for buying that record is that it have The Stooges printed on the sleeve.

Can’t remember I have seen this tittles mentioned in the wish list but I would like to hear proper recordings of these as well:

Wild Love
Till the end of the night
Born in a trailer / Nowhere
Do you want my love?
She Creatures From The Hollywood Hills
Rich Bitch
Dog food (see other topic)
Richard Adams mentioned a couple of tracks from late 1970 as well:
Way Down I Egypt (hopefully this one are on the Ugano's tape)
Searching for Head

After all, I am a pretty fanatic Stooges fan – the only Rock´n´roll band that still make me feel 21!

Most of the tracks exist today as pretty loose jams and they have to be reworked before they are recorded. Lots of the lyrics sound pretty improvised. And if you listen to the complete Funhouse box and I got a right session from the Heavy liquid box you can hear how much the tunes developed through the recording processes – so even half assed Stooges tunes can be good if they put some proper work on them if and when they are recorded.

I guess our boys will crank out some new good stuff as well – once you start to work with music ideas have a tendency to pop up (I have been playing in bands for many years and my profession is sound engineering – guess I simply are to lazy to do anything other than listen to music)

One of the really good ideas mentioned here (kaiserken) was that he hoped they would record ALL of their live show – I hope they do and that they release the high lights!
After all: it does not cost money to do proper multitrack live recordings anymore (but it still take time to listen to them, edit them and mix them) I hope they will release a collection of live stuff every year. I mean: The ultimate tribute to Ron would be to release a collection of live recordings from 2008 – I missed them that year so I did not see them perform I Got A Right, Search And Destroy and Raw Power, and all the Your Tube clips have horrible sound quality – I also like the Madonna cover – it’s such a good laugh!

Pity Ron passed away before James joined the bandwagon – but when The Stooges are history we still have the next best thing; Iggy and the Stooges!

Cato
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges Head On"   "The Stooges Head On" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 10:32 pm

Cato wrote:
You can download Wylde Ratttz here:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LRSXBL0C
Uploaded by G F# E

Thanks Cato and G F# E. The Wiki page showed only one of the tracks were included on the soundtrack. I had no idea this release existed.

Damn Ewan sounds a lot like Iggy in parts of TV Eye.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges Head On"   "The Stooges Head On" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 6:00 pm

That's Mark Arm. Not Ewan MacGregor.

Anyway they should re-record "Dead Body" for sure. It and "She Creatures From Hollywood Hills" would be a perfect Ron tribute.
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges Head On"   "The Stooges Head On" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 6:12 pm

G, F#, E wrote:

Anyway they should re-record "Dead Body" for sure. It and "She Creatures From Hollywood Hills" would be a perfect Ron tribute.

On the Wiki page it says under Tracklisting:
5. Wylde Ratttz (vocals by Ewan McGregor): "T.V. Eye" (Dave Alexander/Scott Asheton/Ron Asheton/James Osterberg, Jr.) – 5:24

Did they do two versions? One with Ewan for the soundtrack and one with Mark for the CD? From what I have read Ewan McGregor can actually sing pretty good.

Do you know if this release is available for purchase anywhere? I looked on Amazon and eBay and found nothing. I Googled it and didn't see much either.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges Head On"   "The Stooges Head On" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 6:16 pm

ElRoi wrote:
G, F#, E wrote:

On the Wiki page it says under Tracklisting:
5. Wylde Ratttz (vocals by Ewan McGregor): "T.V. Eye" (Dave Alexander/Scott Asheton/Ron Asheton/James Osterberg, Jr.) – 5:24

Did they do two versions? One with Ewan for the soundtrack and one with Mark for the CD? From what I have read Ewan McGregor can actually sing pretty good.

Do you know if this release is available for purchase anywhere? I looked on Amazon and eBay and found nothing. I Googled it and didn't see much either.

There's only one Wylde Ratttz song on the "Velvet Goldmine" soundtrack and that's "T.V. Eye" with Ewan MacGregor doing the vocals instead of Mark Arm like on the movie. But the version I uploaded is the Arm version which is considerably better in my opinion. Smile
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges Head On"   "The Stooges Head On" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 6:23 pm

Ah, OK I get it now. So, there were two different versions. I is truly incomprehensible why this was not released.
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges Head On"   "The Stooges Head On" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 8:15 pm

Cato,

" Way Down in Egypt "was performed at Unganos. Hopefully, it will be on the recordings. Does anyone know the dates of the shows that Rhino purchased?

Natalie
Back to top Go down
Garageman

Garageman

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2008-03-19

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges Head On"   "The Stooges Head On" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2009 2:20 am

Natalie wrote:
Cato,

" Way Down in Egypt "was performed at Unganos. Hopefully, it will be on the recordings. Does anyone know the dates of the shows that Rhino purchased?

Natalie

Was there more than one recording????
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges Head On"   "The Stooges Head On" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2009 2:28 am

I don't know if more than one night at Unganos was sold to Rhino.
Back to top Go down
Cato

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges Head On"   "The Stooges Head On" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2009 10:15 am

I think G F# E (Dog) have made the LSD download – there are also another Wylder Ratts album to be downloaded in the bootleg section. I hope a record label track down the sessions and make a proper album of the recordings. The production can be a lot better and I guess somebody out there have the multitask sessions somewhere.

Anyway, I dream of a Ron Asheton box featuring the New Order, Destroy All monsters Dark Corneal, Wylder Ratts and of cause the New Race album.
A nice closing CD in a box like this would be some high quality recordings of The Stooges from 2008 featuring Search & Destroy, I Got A Right, Raw Power and the Madonna tracks from the Rock`n`Roll hall of fane show.

I saw them in 05 and 07 and the 07 band was so much better than the 05 band – they was so much tighter!

And I missed them in 08….

Cato
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges Head On"   "The Stooges Head On" - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"The Stooges Head On"
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next