Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Williamson's Guitar

Go down 
+2
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
homesickjameswilliamson
6 posters
AuthorMessage
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

Williamson's Guitar Empty
PostSubject: Williamson's Guitar   Williamson's Guitar Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2007 8:17 pm

Hey, i was reading that thread, or watever its called, about Ron's guitar and amp, which ones he uses.

Altho i prefer the asheton sound, i want to play like williamson, cos its like keith richards, and i wanna play like richards.

So i wanted to ask does anyone know what guitar James Williamson plays, or played.

I read in an interview with him, on the great I-94 website that he played a Gibson Les Paul B25, altho ive chekd for this model, and havent found it. Can anyone help?
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Williamson's Guitar   Williamson's Guitar Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2007 8:38 pm

i use a les paul...
Back to top Go down
mikel

mikel

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2007-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Williamson's Guitar   Williamson's Guitar Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2007 8:38 am

Might be 1965 Sunburst...not sure where this came from, as I had an Stooges article which contains various interviews but I have it archived somewhere and couldn´t confirm.... James playedGibson Les Pauls and Fender Strat, but I´ve never seen any pics of him actually playing Strat...so, go figure.
Back to top Go down
Paul T

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Williamson's Guitar   Williamson's Guitar Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2007 12:48 pm

It was a Sunburst Custom, one of the first reissues, bought new around 1970 - exact details are in the Guitarist interview from 2005 - can't get hold of it now, it's on my dead laptop. Used an AC30 in the studio. Never played a Strat, I don't think, but he used a Fender Jaguar when he played with the Chosen Few.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Williamson's Guitar   Williamson's Guitar Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2007 3:21 pm

Thanks Paul, that really helped.

By the way, the book was brilliant, alot better than that joe ambrose shit. Well done
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Williamson's Guitar   Williamson's Guitar Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2007 3:41 pm

Is the Sunburst Custom + Vox AC30 the type he used in those rehearsals that are on 'Wild Love' ?

On songs like Delta Blues Shuffle, Old King Live Forever and Look So Sweet.

Thats the sound im after, if anyone knows any of the guitars + amps Williamson used, i'd appreciate it
Back to top Go down
Paul T

PostSubject: Re: Williamson's Guitar   Williamson's Guitar Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2007 5:59 pm

Not sure. I know James used a Fender twin at the Columbia rehearsals, but in the later days it was pretty much whatever gear they could scrounge. Preference was Marshall stacks for live work but they used Sunn and whatever else was around. I have good records on live boots but not rehearsals; i've a feeling that set weren't in Detroit but were possibly in the UK, in which case I reckon it will be the AC30. Is the tone pretty similar to the rhythm work on Raw POwer?

James always used the LP Custom, though, and still has it. it sits in a big case which his kids call The Coffin.

Incidentally, HJW, I like your moniker, being a fan of both those James's.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Williamson's Guitar   Williamson's Guitar Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2007 11:24 pm

Cool, thanks for the help Paul, i didnt think many ppl wud know the 'first' james williamson, lol.

Yeh, well youve helped me greatly with that issue, thanks

- HJW
Back to top Go down
mc5nrg

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2007-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Williamson's Guitar   Williamson's Guitar Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2007 7:31 am

According to the Perfect Sound Forever interview Raw Power is mostly a Fender Strat and an AC 30 , IIRC. When I listen to those various rehearsal boots you can hear a lot of Stratocaster and also Hendrix influence.

A B25 is a grand concert size Gibson steel string acoustic (smaller than a dreadnought) from the 60s. Similar to the LG models and a succesor to the LG2
Back to top Go down
Paul T

PostSubject: Re: Williamson's Guitar   Williamson's Guitar Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2007 11:33 am

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
Cool, thanks for the help Paul, i didnt think many ppl wud know the 'first' james williamson, lol.

Yeh, well youve helped me greatly with that issue, thanks

- HJW
I went to see Homesick in the West Side. A great man - cantankerous, awkward, and very funny. One of the interviews I most remember. My only regret is that I didn't use to take photos at that time. I think he lived with elmore's widow.

nrg, are you sure you're not thinking of the Ron asheton i/vw on Perfect Sound Forever? I don't believe there have been any recent James interviews, apart from the one by Ken Shimamoto on I-94.
Back to top Go down
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2007-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Williamson's Guitar   Williamson's Guitar Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2007 12:25 am

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/iggyandthestooges
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Williamson's Guitar   Williamson's Guitar Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Williamson's Guitar
Page 1 of 1