Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ??

Go down 
+9
Funhouse
StoogesMySpaceAdmin
Paul T
stdtheband
Borntohula
Nadja
Loose1969
TheAshtari
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ?? Empty
PostSubject: Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ??   Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ?? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2007 4:05 am

Dose anyone know what setting's Ron uses ? he has a very odd but great sound. i cant seem to exactly match. I know he uses marshall's and a Reverend, but what settings and stuff dose he use in order to get his sound that he is able to get ?? I hope someone can help. and if anyone know's what settings to set to on the GNX4 to get his sound, i use GNX4, so that would be a big help also Smile

Thanks, hope someone can help ! pirat
Back to top Go down
TheAshtari
Commander Excalibur
TheAshtari

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2007-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ??   Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ?? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2007 5:15 pm

I know you love Ron and the way he plays.....

but...Do you really want to sound like Ron..... Perhaps it would be better if you cultivated your own way of playing his tunes........ He might prefer to be the only one playing like that (kindof a trade secret Wink

Is it not a bit like a recipe..... each person somehow makes whatever the recipe is about differently....

I, for instance play the side flute (well, not really in (lip) practice at the mo) and that (playing the flute), is like having a second voice...... it becomes an extension of me....... It is like singing because one uses ones breath to activate the sound. Only I can play like I play.. Cool
Back to top Go down
TheAshtari
Commander Excalibur
TheAshtari

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ??   Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ?? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2007 5:24 pm

Just BTW

Where'd you find that pic of Iggy? He looks super gorgeous there. Do tell.

Ashtari
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ??   Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ?? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2007 5:34 pm

As far as the guitar sound goes, I seem to get the closest using my little Fender amp, on clean setting but maxed out so I get a natural distortion. You have to play the shit out of it though, attacking the hell of the strings.

I have a Crate amp with about a dozen settings but my little Sidekick actually comes closer. Go figure...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ??   Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ?? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2007 5:36 pm

TheAshtari wrote:
Just BTW

Ashtari

You look pretty good yourself. How about a closeup?

Cool
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ??   Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ?? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2007 9:15 pm

TheAshtari wrote:
Just BTW

Ashtari

i got it from whistler it was from the show i was at in michigan this month
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ??   Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ?? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2007 9:17 pm

Loose1969 wrote:
As far as the guitar sound goes, I seem to get the closest using my little Fender amp, on clean setting but maxed out so I get a natural distortion. You have to play the shit out of it though, attacking the hell of the strings.

I have a Crate amp with about a dozen settings but my little Sidekick actually comes closer. Go figure...

thanks for the info. anyone else know what settings he uses ? Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ??   Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ?? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2007 9:50 pm

I have an issue of Guitar World with a lengthy inverwiew with Ron, and he discusses his sound in great detail. I'll check through it to see what info there is that would help.
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ??   Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ?? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2007 10:05 pm

is it the issue with slash on the cover ? i just got it yesterday Smile i read it. its great im hoping to get more detail on the sound. he said he loved using a flying V guitar till he got his strat. and how on the first album he used mostly wha wha pedal and fuzz face pedal for the sound. Smile in the interview it also state's how iggy was the only one who wouldnt watch TV and would go think up idea;s for songs and stuff while the others watch the tv, and how when they first arrived cale wouldnt let them play with the stacks off 100 watt amp's and wanted them in half's and stuff so the band sat back in a room and pulled out the pipe and smoked all day, till they reach a deal. and how they used to go out with cale and he would be dressed up as dracula, and would scare the shit outta people Smile

Last edited by on Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ??   Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ?? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2007 10:07 pm

JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES wrote:
is it the issue with slash on the cover ? i just got it yesterday Smile i read it. its great im hoping to get more detail on the sound. he said he loved using a flying V guitar till he got his strat. and how on the first album he used mostly wha wha pedal and fuzz face pedal for the sound. i got the exact dow on the street sound today finally Smile in the interview it also stat's how iggy was the only one who wouldnt watch TV and would go think up idea;s for songs and stuff while the others watch the tv, and how when they first arrived cale wouldnt let them play with the stacks off 10 watt amp's and wanted them in half's and stuff so the band sat back in a room and pulled out the pipe and smoked all day, till they reach a deal. and how they used to go out with cale and he would be dressed up as dracula, and would scare the shit outta people Smile

THAT'S IT!!!!
Read all that. That will help! Wink
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ??   Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ?? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2007 10:10 pm

Smile yeah, its one of the best articles i've read. BUT, where do you get a fuzz face pedal ? lol the GNX4 is basicly every single pedal there is in 1 giant pedal its like a VERY expensive thing. but its great, i finally got the sound to down on the street.
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ??   Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ?? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2007 10:19 pm

Down On The Street is a blast to play.

I'm saving up for a mixing desk for home use, I want to play entire songs on my own. Drums and all. It's time consuming, but when winter comes around I'll have nothing to do...boo hoo

Laughing

So it'll be great to have that to work on.
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ??   Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ?? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2007 10:20 pm

pick up GNX4 pedal. the software is like a mixing board Smile
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ??   Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ?? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2007 10:24 pm

Ahhhh...I'll look into that. And read that article again too.
That's the best Guitar World I've ever read...
Back to top Go down
TheAshtari
Commander Excalibur
TheAshtari

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ??   Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ?? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 4:09 pm

Testing how to post a pic. Embarassed

Image hosted by servimg.com

Just testing, in other words. Wink
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ??   Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ?? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 9:52 pm

I certainly don't know much about the technical side of guitar-playing but on the evidence of The Weirdness Ron can't, or won't play like he used to. Of course it's still unmistakably Ron, but ... I don't know. Maybe it's age, maybe he feels he's got to move with the times or something, but he just has a somewhat different tone, different vibe. Still, as usual he manages to achieve a level of intensity that no other guitarist seems capable of.
Back to top Go down
Borntohula

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2007-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ??   Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ?? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 9:57 pm

Nadja: The problem with the weirdness is that you need headphones or a great volume with a lot of bass.
If you do, some songs goes of quite near the old sound.
Ones I think most of is Trollin, ATM, Idea of fun, Mexican guy and Passing cloud.

God I wish I'll get to hear songs from the studio from the boys that sounds like Loose once again... Damn them if they don't on the next album Razz
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ??   Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ?? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 1:59 pm

Borntohulla, I ALWAYS listen to The Weirdness on headphones - no-one else around me wants to hear it, or the Stooges in general. That's why I've come to this forum!!
Anyway, I'm certainly not knocking the album, or Ron's playing on it. It's just that it's obviously differently conceived to the old ones, it's generally more straight-ahead, straightforward rock, which makes it less interesting to hear overall (Mexican Guy is the only one that really has a different vibe and rhythm to all the rest) and the slower numbers are marred by Iggy's horrible crooning. I don't care what anyone says, I can't stand his crooning for even a second. But the Ashetons are great on this album, and there's nothing wrong with Watt either. And I agree that Ron's guitar sounds best of all on ATM, Mexican Guy and Passing Cloud.
Back to top Go down
stdtheband

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ??   Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ?? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 7:39 am

Ron plays JCM 800 2203's and JCM 900's. He uses a few pedals, Drivetrain by Reverend, and a few others. In interviews he claims to only use Reverend pedals, but that is not true.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stereo-Transmitted-Disease/8547504
Paul T

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ??   Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ?? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 7:22 pm

It's true Ron's sound was better i nthe old days. That's what you got before master volume amps. But then you could only really play at one volvume.

I think if you stick a Strat thru an old JTM 45 you would be halfway there. Fuzzface is an old germanium-transistor fuz pedal, Henrdix used one too... I'm sure if you google them, or look on eBay, you will find something that sounds the same.

Whether that will make u SOUND like ROn is another idea! IN my first punk band, with an Antoria Les Paul and a Park stack (made by Marshall) I got close enough to impress the girls.
Back to top Go down
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2007-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ??   Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ?? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 4:56 am

Ron's tone comes from himself ultimately.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/iggyandthestooges
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ??   Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ?? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 5:11 pm

StoogesMySpaceAdmin wrote:
Ron's tone comes from himself ultimately.

That's what I thought.
Back to top Go down
Funhouse

Funhouse

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ??   Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ?? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2008 3:40 pm

There's an old, but interesting, interview with Ron discussing his influences and equipment at http://www.vintageguitar.com/features/artists/details.asp?AID=2108

He has been using a JCM800 stack lately but I much prefer the sound on the earlier Stooges albums. I can get pretty close by winding up the clean channel on my Orange Rocker 30 and using a BYOC MKII Tonebender pedal.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ??   Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ?? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 12:54 pm

Funhouse, if you can get close to Ron's old sound I'd certainly like to have a listen!
Back to top Go down
Funhouse

Funhouse

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ??   Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ?? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 1:26 pm

Sure, I'm in a band called Kurtz and we're playing at The Ark in Edinburgh tomorrow night (8.30pm)

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=195361966
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ??   Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ron Asheton Guitar Sound ??
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next