Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Raw Power Box Advance copies

Go down 
+27
gazatthebop
trailerborn
zeke
Radiobirdman73
Lucas
Petrie Terrace
BackDoorMan@TheMindRoom
Garageman
Funhouse
StoogesFan
ElRoi
Tyronehell
mark
tompa67
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
krugersoldier
adams66
freemind
Funhousehideaway#2
TeddyB1018
Perdu
MJG196
Nitebob
G, F#, E
Natalie
Nervousnorvus
larry fine
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 4:09 pm

Four tracks on TV Eye 1977 Live were from the Uptown Theatre in Kansas City - "Sixteen", "I Got A Right", "Lust For Life" and "Nightclubbing" and as far as I'm aware the rest of the show has never surfaced, which is a shame as that autumn 1977 tour was a real blast. I wonder if RCA still have the tapes?

I've always loved the TV Eye album, the rather crappy recording quality on the October tracks doesn't bother me, then there is the bizarre order of the track list flipping between March and October shows at random, and the fact that "Sixteen", clearly the opening song of the gig (Ladies and gentlemen, Iggy Pop and His Band!) is included on the album as track three! It all points to a stupendous lack of care taken by either Iggy or RCA or probably both, yet it doesn't seem to matter as the music is superb.

I've sometimes wondered why the March tracks weren't kept on side one and the October tracks on side two - if they'd done that the difference in recording quality wouldn't have been quite so obvious. Incidentally I wonder why the Kansas City tracks are so poorly recorded in the first place?

And as for overdubs - I can't hear any. I doubt anyone would have bothered...

The only real gripe I have is the fade at the end of "Dog" just the song is having it's big ending! Another bizarre decision to add to all he others regarding TV Eye 1977 Live!

Cheers,

Richard

ps - we seem to have gone completely off topic here. Sorry about that!
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

gazatthebop

Number of posts : 417
Registration date : 2009-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 11:09 am

last word on Cleveland...."Wild Animal" is the best version in my opinion. Also there's a new compilation out on Spotify Jesus love The Stooges, nothing new but improved quality.
Back to top Go down
iggy-fan
I Got A Right
iggy-fan

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 7:08 pm

I got my advance copies that I bought some days ago. They sounds great!
Back to top Go down
http://goto.glocalnet.net/iggy-fanpage/
gazatthebop

gazatthebop

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 1:38 pm

the Atlanta show sounds like an audience tape to me, there's a girl talking between the songs who seems closest to the mics and is in the audience...but its a really good one. It has been said this show was recorded on a Thursday and the 1st set, their residency at Richards was from 8th-13th which makes the concert date October 11 1973...anyone disagree?
Back to top Go down
andrew

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 3:10 pm

BackDoorMan@TheMindRoom wrote:
Bruce Dickinson choose that version of Head On, we both felt it was greatly overlooked and thought we'd bring some more attention to it by including here. I believe it was recorded at CBS Studios in NYC in preparation for the Max's shows, and the band was dropped by Columbia shortly after. It may have been on Heavy Liquid, or going back further to Rubber Legs.
Could anyone who's got this please confirm for definite whether or not this is the same version of Head On as on Heavy Liquid disc 4 and on Bomp's Open Up and Bleed and on Rubber Legs etc? Could someone also confirm the running time? Going by images of the promo copy, the runnning time is 5:39, which matches closely with the 5:42 for the track on Heavy Liquid etc. However I think the track on those releases sounds way too fast. On the bootleg LP that they appear to have been ultimately sourced from, Head On is 5:55 and, to me, sounds closer to the correct speed.

Also, if it is the same track as on Heavy Liquid etc, I doubt it is a CBS Studios rehearsal as most of the tracks listed on those releases as CBS Studios can be identified as from rehearsal tapes with Bob Sheff on keyboards, rather than Scott Thurston.

Thanks,

Andrew
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 3:25 pm

andrew wrote:

Also, if it is the same track as on Heavy Liquid etc, I doubt it is a CBS Studios rehearsal as most of the tracks listed on those releases as CBS Studios can be identified as from rehearsal tapes with Bob Sheff on keyboards, rather than Scott Thurston.

Thanks,

Andrew

Well, on the Heavy Liquid disc, doesn't he call out to Bob during the song? I know he calls out to ROn, but am pretty sure he calls to Bob as well.
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
andrew

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 3:44 pm

mg196 wrote:
Well, on the Heavy Liquid disc, doesn't he call out to Bob during the song? I know he calls out to ROn, but am pretty sure he calls to Bob as well.
I don't think he does on Head On. He calls out to the piano player, but doesn't name him. He definitely names Bob on a couple of the other so-called 'CBS Rehearsals' though.
Back to top Go down
mark

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 3:49 pm

gazatthebop wrote:
the Atlanta show sounds like an audience tape to me, there's a girl talking between the songs who seems closest to the mics and is in the audience
I'm yet to hear the Atlanta show but this doesn't necessarily mean it ain't a soundboard. Common practice for a multi-track live recording, as well as getting a direct feed from the guitars, vocals, drums etc, would be to have a mic or two over the audience so that you catch the overall ambience. So that could be where the girl's voice comes from.
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

gazatthebop

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 5:55 pm

The version of "Head On" track 11 on disc two of the deluxe Raw Power is the same as the version on Disc four (track 3) of the Heavy Liquid boxset. The raw power version being better quality but only just.
I have both the promo deluxe Raw Power and the Heavy Liquid boxset and have just listened to them both so thats definate.

The song is listed as 5:39 on the RP deluxe promo set
Back to top Go down
andrew

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 6:14 pm

gazatthebop wrote:
The version of "Head On" track 11 on disc two of the deluxe Raw Power is the same as the version on Disc four (track 3) of the Heavy Liquid boxset. The raw power version being better quality but only just.
I have both the promo deluxe Raw Power and the Heavy Liquid boxset and have just listened to them both so thats definate.

The song is listed as 5:39 on the RP deluxe promo set
Thanks for that. I'm pretty sure that if it clocks in at 5:39 then it's running too fast, just as I think it sounds too fast on Heavy Liquid etc. If I'm right then that's disappointing.
Back to top Go down
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2007-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 6:40 am

I'll be getting mine soon...posting a review on the myspace page.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/iggyandthestooges
THEWIN

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 11:13 pm

I will a/b them too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Raw Power Box Advance copies
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4