Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

First album new edition on Rhino Handmade

Go down 
+90
blackout88
Mr. FunBoy
CARLTON
morwells
Five Star Edge
shemp
jdb1982
comaman
heavy liquid
G, F#, E
dtklamf
adams66
hank67
KarlR
specotron
ziggy
jaredlange911
Luzern
LunarTunes
Stranger09
modernlover
Shakes
Triskell
unheard78
liam studebaker
TED
mghifi
trigger
NOS300B
ianianian
rubber legs
rev. mike
berlinberlin
the5thramone37
seventeen
steve2787
Nitebob
Nervousnorvus
johnthelawman
jerrythebarman
ashitanoramen
elvis plebsley
Nadja
TeddyB1018
Radiobirdman73
nkdlunch
Ilmostro
StoogesFan
StoogesMySpaceAdmin
Tyronehell
StoogeFan
Natalie
andrew
mr.datsun
neven
gasman124
sway
Loose1969
napalm_cheetah
kaiserken
ad_hoc
homesickjameswilliamson
gazatthebop
Iguanas
mark
coffeepotman
birchy
Monger
Gimme some skin
Aku
Cato
BackDoorMan@TheMindRoom
freemind
Garageman
jpod
Chris Moise
mc
ElRoi
sweet_sixteen
Petrie Terrace
weed_killer
citizensmurf
stooges
Hectorlovesthestooges
MJG196
rabid_fish
larry fine
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
trailerborn
ggriffin
94 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
gazatthebop

gazatthebop

Number of posts : 417
Registration date : 2009-06-02

First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 7:52 pm

still waiting for mine too...rhino did promise a replacement if it hadn't arrived by today. Now they say the matter is being dealt with, having been passed on to the management team.
Back to top Go down
mr.datsun

mr.datsun

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2010-03-23

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 9:51 pm

rev. mike wrote:
I just got this reply from Rhino when I asked them to explicitly state one way or another if the John Cale mixes would be corrected on the replacement discs:

Dear Mr. ______,

Thank you for contacting Rhino Customer Service.

We would like to inform you that the replacement discs that are going to be sent will not have any reasserting issues, and the John Cale mixes will play at the right speed.

Sounds kind of promising except they don't understand the common English usage of the word 'reasserting'. Let's hope the phrase 'the John Cale mixes will play at the right speed' really means what we hope it means.

It makes me wonder whether Rhino are publicly using the 'wrong labels' as an excuse to quietly correct the real problem/blunder of the mastering speed.

Last edited by mr.datsun on Wed May 19, 2010 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mr.datsun

mr.datsun

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 9:54 pm

ggriffin wrote:
With all of the things that are appearing (including **Asthma Attack** for christ's sake), I can live without a Cale mix of We Will Fall that plays at the correct speed.

That would make sense if people wanted to spend £50 on 'Asthma Attack' – a track which is for me is only of historical interest itself. And then they could download a FLAC of it at a much reduced cost.
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 12:06 am

gazatthebop wrote:
still not got mine here in the uk though i pre-ordered it.

project manager is john hughes his email is....

johnhughes@rhino.com

this email address is on the back of promo copies

That email is wrong it should be john.hughes@rhino.com
Back to top Go down
ggriffin

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 1:22 am

mr.datsun wrote:
ggriffin wrote:
With all of the things that are appearing (including **Asthma Attack** for christ's sake), I can live without a Cale mix of We Will Fall that plays at the correct speed.

That would make sense if people wanted to spend £50 on 'Asthma Attack' – a track which is for me is only of historical interest itself.

Which brings up another tangent - am I the only one that thinks Asthma Attack is a wonderful track, beyond the historical interest?
Back to top Go down
liam studebaker

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-05-15

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 2:12 am

mr.datsun wrote:
[It makes me wonder whether Rhino are publicly using the 'wrong labels' as an excuse to quietly correct the real problem/blunder of the mastering speed.

I've wondered that as well.
Back to top Go down
mghifi

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-07-19

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 6:17 am

If they do send all of us corrected discs, I would be content. All I really want at the end of the day is my money's worth. After all it was a pretty steep price for a 2 cd set.
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

Number of posts : 528
Registration date : 2009-09-10

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 6:34 am

mghifi wrote:
If they do send all of us corrected discs, I would be content. All I really want at the end of the day is my money's worth. After all it was a pretty steep price for a 2 cd set.

I must concur.
Back to top Go down
Garageman

Garageman

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2008-03-19

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 9:13 am

ggriffin wrote:
mr.datsun wrote:
ggriffin wrote:

That would make sense if people wanted to spend £50 on 'Asthma Attack' – a track which is for me is only of historical interest itself.

Which brings up another tangent - am I the only one that thinks Asthma Attack is a wonderful track, beyond the historical interest?

I do like it. In my opinion, it could have been included on the original LP.
Back to top Go down
ashitanoramen

ashitanoramen

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 9:26 am

ggriffin wrote:

no,you're not.also is historic,along with Ann(full version),Asthma attack shows us the rough early Stooges.

Talking about historic things.I readed a interview of Ron Asheton in a spanish magazine(popular1,2008)and talks about the early stooges shows,that shows with whole lotta feedback,the washboard,the blender... (1968 I guess),saying that he had a good recording of one of those shows(reel tape),but he gave it to Danny Fields as a gift.Ron believed that Fields sold that tape to someone!!! Where's that tape?!?!. First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 10 789111

Last edited by ashitanoramen on Thu May 20, 2010 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 1:08 pm

OK I got a response from John Hughes saying they are looking into the slow speed issue so maybe all is not lost.
Back to top Go down
TED
A funhouse boy will steal your heart away
TED

Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 1:25 pm

First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 10 143700
Back to top Go down
ianianian

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-01-30

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 9:54 pm

[quote="ashitanoramen"]
ggriffin wrote:

Really? I like the stooges very much - so much I spend a lot of money on discs that don't play right, but Asthma Attack wonderful??? It's indulgent nonesense. It's great to hear, of course, but still indulgent nonsense. The fact it has taken 40 years to see the light of day tells you something, no?

Ian
Back to top Go down
mr.datsun

mr.datsun

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 10:20 pm

mc wrote:
OK I got a response from John Hughes saying they are looking into the slow speed issue so maybe all is not lost.

good news. thank-you.
Back to top Go down
mr.datsun

mr.datsun

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 10:35 pm

ianianian wrote:
I like the stooges very much - so much I spend a lot of money on discs that don't play right, but Asthma Attack wonderful??? It's indulgent nonesense. It's great to hear, of course, but still indulgent nonsense. The fact it has taken 40 years to see the light of day tells you something, no?

Ian

That's quite strong but I agree.

It's great to hear what they Stooges were like before 1969 (I assume that this , like the long take of Ann give us an idea). But I'm not going to play Asthma Attack repeatedly for pure listening pleasure. It's not that great. Like LA Blues, it doesn't work as a CD/LP home listening event. It's for live experience.

But then the conclusion is why clutter up the recorded art of a band with failed outtakes and alt mixes anyway? I only need (in the Stooges case) 1st, Funhouse and Raw Power. The rest is superflous (and IMO sometimes damaging) to a band's enduring place in the recorded music landscape. Why screw with perfection?

Last edited by mr.datsun on Fri May 21, 2010 12:14 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
trailerborn

trailerborn

Number of posts : 411
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 10:48 pm

mr.datsun wrote:

But then the conclusion is why clutter up the recorded art of a band with failed outtakes and alt mixes anyway? I only need (in the Stooges case) 1st, Funhouse and Raw Power. The rest is superflous (and IMO sometimes damaging) to a band's enduring place in the recorded music landscape. Why screw with perfection?

Throw in the eight studio demos on 'Rubber Legs' and I agree with that sentiment 100%.

Sometimes too much information is a real mystique killer.

Looking forward to Popped & (hopefully) Ugano's, but I think I'll skip this first LP re-release.
Back to top Go down
Stranger09

Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 1:35 am

mr.datsun wrote:
ianianian wrote:
I like the stooges very much - so much I spend a lot of money on discs that don't play right, but Asthma Attack wonderful??? It's indulgent nonesense. It's great to hear, of course, but still indulgent nonsense. The fact it has taken 40 years to see the light of day tells you something, no?

Ian

That's quite strong but I agree.

It's great to hear what they Stooges were like before 1969 (I assume that this , like the long take of Ann give us an idea). But I'm not going to play Asthma Attack repeatedly for pure listening pleasure. It's not that great. Like LA Blues, it doesn't work as a CD/LP home listening event. It's for live experience.

My personal viewpoint is I like the odds and ends sometimes.

With the Stooges, I like Scene of the Crime...while I wasn't sure I wanted to hear it live at Hammersmith (it came to mind as a song they might do, but I was sort of glad they didn't try it), but even more so I like Sick of You, Gimme Some Skin, Open Up and Bleed, Johanna...

That said with this first album rehash, I'd like it, but can't afford it, and certainly can't justify trying to get the money together before the speed issue is resolved...
Back to top Go down
coffeepotman

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2009-10-02

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 7:54 am

I got mine today, great package but the speed problem is just absurd, the songs are unlistenable
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 3:19 pm

This has been added to the Rhino page at the bottom of the release details:

PRODUCTION NOTE:

We at Rhino Handmade wanted to shed some light on the questions that have been raised regarding several of the bonus tracks on our Collector’s Edition of The Stooges’ debut album.

The John Cale Mixes that were featured on the 2005 Deluxe Edition of the album were pitch corrected from the existing mix reel, which is the only existing master in our vaults. For the new Collector’s Edition, no pitch correcting was done and we left the songs exactly as they are found on the master. The same master was used for both releases.
Back to top Go down
unheard78

Number of posts : 50

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 3:30 pm

The speed issue is rather odd. I did a speed-corrected version of the Cale mixes that matches the album mixes, but I noticed on the 2005 version of the album that those Cale mixes don't completely match the speed of the album mixes. I wonder if Cale himself could shed some light on these issues.

I think this has been mentioned before but it seems, despite what Rhino says, that the source of the Cale mixes has been different for each reissue of the album. The "Handmade/Collector's" edition seems to be from a better sounding tape, though I noticed at least one part that sounded like the tape was damaged. Was the tape a reference copy? Is it from the WEA archives, someone in the band's collection or was it provided by Cale himself? I don't have the actual release of the "Handmade/Collector's" edition, rather I have the two-disc promo version that was sent to press, so I can't read the liners although I don't recall any details being given about the source on the 2005 reissue.

On top of all this, if they speed corrected the master for the 2005 reissue, why not do it this time? And if they did it in 2005, why couldn't they make it match the album mixes perfectly? 20 minutes got me pretty close to perfect, if not perfect or as close as can be gotten, and once I had the settings for one track they matched for the rest of them. I suppose it's acceptable if the master is slow to receive the "slow" version but you would think they would have explained this in the liners or somewhere. It's a pretty important detail!
Back to top Go down
http://unheard78.blogspot.com
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 3:47 pm

They sound like the same tape to me, they've got the same level of background hiss.

I completely agree that for these Handmade issues which are basically bought by hardcore fans tape sources etc should be explained.
Back to top Go down
unheard78

Number of posts : 50

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 3:48 pm

Quick update: The track that seems to have damage to the tape is the Cale mix of I Wanna Be Your Dog on the new reissue. The damage seems to occur in the right channel during the song's first verse. It's worth noting that the channels seem to have been flipped from the version on the 2005 reissue.

These little details are really making me wonder about the legitimacy of Rhino's statement about using the same tapes. I would be utterly shocked if someone told me that Rhino found the Cale mixdown tapes in 04/05 and didn't make a high-end digital transfer of them for future reference. That would mean they would have to re-transfer the master for this release, which could explain the tape damage in Dog, although who knows if the tape has been reviewed several times since then internally. Regardless, for something they probably looked at several years ago and thought might be suitable for potential inclusion on a future release you would think they would have put more thought into preserving it.

The only thing I can think of to explain this is that someone could argue they have better equipment now than five years ago and that a re-transfer could be an improvement, but we're talking about a major label subsidiary that specializes in reissues and is known for having some of the best equipment for doing such things, so I can't put much faith in that idea.

If anyone from Rhino might find themselves reading this post, none of this is meant with disrespect as I honestly feel you guys do a fantastic job, but there are some serious issues here that should be dealt with as honestly as possible. Repeat issues like these are what will erode your customer base.
Back to top Go down
http://unheard78.blogspot.com
coffeepotman

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2009-10-02

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 6:01 pm

unheard78 wrote:

If anyone from Rhino might find themselves reading this post, none of this is meant with disrespect as I honestly feel you guys do a fantastic job, but there are some serious issues here that should be dealt with as honestly as possible. Repeat issues like these are what will erode your customer base.

You are being far too kind
Back to top Go down
Garageman

Garageman

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2008-03-19

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 8:02 pm

mc wrote:
This has been added to the Rhino page at the bottom of the release details:

PRODUCTION NOTE:

We at Rhino Handmade wanted to shed some light on the questions that have been raised regarding several of the bonus tracks on our Collector’s Edition of The Stooges’ debut album.

The John Cale Mixes that were featured on the 2005 Deluxe Edition of the album were pitch corrected from the existing mix reel, which is the only existing master in our vaults. For the new Collector’s Edition, no pitch correcting was done and we left the songs exactly as they are found on the master. The same master was used for both releases.

So they DID have the Cale-mixes available in 2005, but decided not to release them all then?
Back to top Go down
stooges

stooges

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2009-05-16

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 8:15 pm

ANN is how Cale mix? It's better than the normal version?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First album new edition on Rhino Handmade
Page 10 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next