Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Georgia Peaches

Go down 
+21
Perdu
Rob Gallucci
StoogesFan
G, F#, E
coffeepotman
Aku
krugersoldier
Triskell
anton
adams66
Nadja
Loose1969
the5thramone37
MJG196
JW82
jonachan
Natalie
saichan
Petrie Terrace
larry fine
gazatthebop
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
gazatthebop

gazatthebop

Number of posts : 417
Registration date : 2009-06-02

Georgia Peaches Empty
PostSubject: Georgia Peaches   Georgia Peaches Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 2:59 pm

I know this is a little unfair to those who do not have promo copies but does anyone else who has heard it think the Richards gig is running at the wrong speed for the first few songs...and where's JW in the mix!?
Back to top Go down
larry fine

larry fine

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Georgia Peaches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Peaches   Georgia Peaches Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 3:36 pm

I've not noticed any issues with running speed.

The issue with James' guitar is that he had a bad cord or connection which didn't get repaired until the 2nd or 3rd song. If you listen (or even if you don't once you know it's there) you can hear the tell tale buzz/hum/static of a guitar cord shorting out - probably where it meets either the guitar or the amp. I assume that they eventually replaced the cord and with that problem solved his volume level went back to normal.
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

gazatthebop

Georgia Peaches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Peaches   Georgia Peaches Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 1:27 pm

Its a pity Iggy's mic starts to cut out half way through the gig. Has anyone confirmed the date of this concert as October 11th 1st set?
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"
Petrie Terrace

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Georgia Peaches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Peaches   Georgia Peaches Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 3:56 pm

larry fine wrote:
I've not noticed any issues with running speed.

The issue with James' guitar is that he had a bad cord or connection which didn't get repaired until the 2nd or 3rd song. If you listen (or even if you don't once you know it's there) you can hear the tell tale buzz/hum/static of a guitar cord shorting out - probably where it meets either the guitar or the amp. I assume that they eventually replaced the cord and with that problem solved his volume level went back to normal.

I'm not so sure, re guitar chord, I think it's the mic line from James' amp to the desk. My reason for thinking that, there's no guitar at all on Raw Power, and none until four minutes into Head On, but ... There are brief sections in Raw Power, especially the solo at the end, where you can clearly hear James "in the distance", like he's bleeding through into someone else's mic, and his guitar/amp connection sounds fine, but the shorting noise carries on in the foreground regardless.

Which makes me wonder why whoever mixed it didn't get rid of the annoying sound of the shorting connection. Maybe they didn't have the multi-track to work from? Or maybe it was mixed down "live" at the time, and the individual tracks no longer exist?

If you listen to James' guitar once it does appear it still doesn't sound right, to me at least, it sounds "small" and muddy in comparison to everything else, like the problem with the line was only partially fixed. Except for Gimme Danger, where it's suddenly loud and clear.

Haven't checked, re running speed, but I will when I get a chance.

P.S. Just checked the "guitarless" part of Head On, it's the same as Raw Power, you can hear James fine in parts, but only in the distance, whilst the shorting noises carry on in the foreground.
Back to top Go down
saichan

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Georgia Peaches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Peaches   Georgia Peaches Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 5:51 am

all this about james's guitar is very disappointing. that's my major problem with metallic ko - that you can't hear james - and why i don't listen to it much. haven't heard georgia peaches yet, but it looks like i'm gonna be similarly disappointed from what you're all saying.
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-06-11

Georgia Peaches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Peaches   Georgia Peaches Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 8:43 am

This thread is starting to sound like the critic's corner. I did not have much time for music critics in the 70's and my opinion has not changed in 2010.

To my non musician's ears, Georgia Peaches sounds great. Yes, the first 2 songs have distortion and you can hardly hear James. Ron and Scott sound so good that even with the missing guitar, the songs sound wonderful.

This CD is very much a representation of how the Stooges sounded most nights on that tour. No Stooge gig was ever perfect. Each gig was unique in ways only the Stooges were unique. Remember, this is 1973. Soundboards were not perfected yet. This is a band playing live in a southern town, having a great time. You hear the audience and you will hear the interaction between Iggy and the crowd. I thoroughly love this gig, flaws and all.

I think we need to celebrate that we have an unexpected treat from one of the, if not the, best rock bands in the world. I am happy and grateful to have another wonderful slice of Stooge's musical history in my collection.

I'm not asking anybody to accept my opinion either. I'm just asking you all to put it on and listen and make up your own mind.

Rant over and out!
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

gazatthebop

Georgia Peaches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Peaches   Georgia Peaches Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 2:06 pm

You have a more than valid point Natalie, it gets better and better with each time i listen. I guess if the tapes had been "messed with" to sound closer to perfection we'd all be moaning we want a reissue of the un-tampered tapes, they could have cut out "head on" because of vocal mic problems but they had the guts to leave it in.

And to those worried about the price, chances are you'll buy more than $50 of uninspiring music in the next twelve months and spend the rest of your life looking for a mint secondhand copy when its too late and they're all gone!
cheers
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

gazatthebop

Georgia Peaches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Peaches   Georgia Peaches Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 2:14 pm

Back to top Go down
jonachan

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2010-04-06

Georgia Peaches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Peaches   Georgia Peaches Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 7:10 pm

Forlarge parts of the You Don't Want My Name release, Iggy's vocals cut out or are so low that you can't hear them, and teh show is still smokin'. I'm really looking forward to hearing this one...
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

Number of posts : 666
Registration date : 2008-02-10

Georgia Peaches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Peaches   Georgia Peaches Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 3:27 am

James was 'marked' on facebook on that 'picture' Smile

Georgia Peaches 28351_1343167973122_1048913414_30793198_2775024_n
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tosterhead/music
MJG196

MJG196

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2007-02-26

Georgia Peaches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Peaches   Georgia Peaches Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 4:20 am

Holy shit, JW. Thanks for that! Now I know exactly where to tune in!
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
the5thramone37
Dog Food
the5thramone37

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2007-03-12

Georgia Peaches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Peaches   Georgia Peaches Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 4:39 am

thats raw fucking power
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

Georgia Peaches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Peaches   Georgia Peaches Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 4:42 am

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!! My God, how times have changed...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Georgia Peaches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Peaches   Georgia Peaches Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 11:01 am

Hilarious! Thanks for that JW.
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

Georgia Peaches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Peaches   Georgia Peaches Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 11:03 am

What a wonderful find. Thanks so much for posting that letter.

Fascinating to realise how accurate David Halper's prediction was - maybe in 40 years people might want to hear it. Market conditions have indeed changed.

I love how the recording has offended Mr Halper's sensibilities so much that he can't bring himself to type the offending words. It all seems so much more innocent back in 1973 doesn't it? And it shows quite how shocking Iggy actually was in those days. Even to hardened record executives.

And I laughed out loud at his comment 'don't even get me started on "Cock In My Pocket"'

Thanks JW82.

Cheers,

Richard
Back to top Go down
anton

anton

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-05-10

Georgia Peaches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Peaches   Georgia Peaches Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 11:05 am

Oh man! That sheet sould be the cover of the album!
Back to top Go down
Triskell

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-05-11

Georgia Peaches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Peaches   Georgia Peaches Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 11:42 am

No way that really is a letter from 1973! A 1973 letter would have been handwritten or typed, not typeset; computers and printers hadn't been invented yet. And how did he time the songs in 1973? He's not sitting there with a CD that starts on 0:00 at the beginning of each song; he's got either a tape reel or an acetate LP.
Back to top Go down
krugersoldier

krugersoldier

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2008-02-20

Georgia Peaches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Peaches   Georgia Peaches Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 12:40 pm

Its fake just like "im hungry"
Back to top Go down
Aku

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2009-02-24

Georgia Peaches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Peaches   Georgia Peaches Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 1:01 pm

Triskell wrote:
No way that really is a letter from 1973! A 1973 letter would have been handwritten or typed, not typeset; computers and printers hadn't been invented yet. And how did he time the songs in 1973? He's not sitting there with a CD that starts on 0:00 at the beginning of each song; he's got either a tape reel or an acetate LP.

It looks like it´s been typed with a typewriter and copied later, and have you ever heard of a casette ?
Back to top Go down
Triskell

Georgia Peaches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Peaches   Georgia Peaches Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 3:19 pm

It hasn't been written on a typewriter, that's a microsoft word document. The letter is pretty funny, but it won't fool anyone who remembers what typed documents used to look like.

Cassette players didn't have time codes either. Show me one genuine letter from the seventies where they use timings to identify elements within a song. I saw a documentary from the trial against Judas Priest yesterday - this was about alleged subliminals in the recording, but they didn't use timings to identify them; things were vaguely "in" the songs, or less vaguely "after" this or that line in the lyrics.

And the record industry wasn't that afraid of profanity in 1973; that came later, with Reaganism and the PMRC.
Back to top Go down
Aku

Georgia Peaches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Peaches   Georgia Peaches Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 3:59 pm

Triskell wrote:
It hasn't been written on a typewriter, that's a microsoft word document. The letter is pretty funny, but it won't fool anyone who remembers what typed documents used to look like.

Cassette players didn't have time codes either. Show me one genuine letter from the seventies where they use timings to identify elements within a song. I saw a documentary from the trial against Judas Priest yesterday - this was about alleged subliminals in the recording, but they didn't use timings to identify them; things were vaguely "in" the songs, or less vaguely "after" this or that line in the lyrics.

And the record industry wasn't that afraid of profanity in 1973; that came later, with Reaganism and the PMRC.

BULLSHIT !!!

I HAD A TAPE RECORDER IN THE SEVENTIES - and I could easily press the button at the begining of every song to get the time code...Sorry, but thatś the truth. Youve never seen a tape recorder, now have you ? - Judas Priest, gimme a break - You base your bullshit about the history of rock n roll to the Judas priest..hahahah ? Judas Priest had that silly trial in the eighties, and just becouse they didnt use timings - that speaks more about their stupidity, than it does about letters or the stooges .

The record industry wasn't that afraid of profanity in 1973; ...that's absolute BULLSHIT !!! ....gimme a break...what about the Sex Pistols, or say...The MC5: They got kicked out of the Elektra records for having the word "Motherfucker" in their song " Kick Out The Jams"....and they had to change that to "brothers and sisters" what about the
Rolling Stones who had to change their lyrics in the seventies and the sixties too, because of profanity....Stones songs: Cocksucker Blues (didnt even get released at the time, - it was released many years later) or "Starfucker" - had to be changed to "Star Star"..what about Elvis Presley in the 50ś..when he recorded Big Mama Thornton song "Hound Dog" he had to change the line " You aint lookin for a woman, you just want to get a whore" to " You never got a rabbit and you aint no friend of mine"...etc, etc, etc......

There was many different kind of typewriters back in the seventies, manufactured by different companies, - letters didnt all look the same.. Besides, that letter could have been copied (xeroxed) many times during these years... So it might not look the same after all these years.
Back to top Go down
Triskell

Georgia Peaches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Peaches   Georgia Peaches Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 4:07 pm

Oh well, fuhgeddaboutit, fanboys will be fanboys.
Back to top Go down
Aku

Georgia Peaches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Peaches   Georgia Peaches Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 4:23 pm

Triskell wrote:
Oh well, fuhgeddaboutit, fanboys will be fanboys.

I dont know if that letter is real or not, cause I didn't write it, but you dont know that either.. ..
but maybe next time you will least get your facts straight..

oh, well ..teenagers are teenagers...
Back to top Go down
Triskell

Georgia Peaches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Peaches   Georgia Peaches Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 4:25 pm

Actually, I know that it is fake, because it is obviously fake to anyone who knows anything about 1973. Knowing is one thing, getting it into your head is quite another, and so, I drop the matter.
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

Georgia Peaches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Peaches   Georgia Peaches Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 5:39 pm

Aku wrote:
Triskell wrote:

BULLSHIT !!!

I HAD A TAPE RECORDER IN THE SEVENTIES - and I could easily press the button at the begining of every song to get the time code...Sorry, but thatś the truth. Youve never seen a tape recorder, now have you ? - Judas Priest, gimme a break - You base your bullshit about the history of rock n roll to the Judas priest..hahahah ? Judas Priest had that silly trial in the eighties, and just becouse they didnt use timings - that speaks more about their stupidity, than it does about letters or the stooges .

The record industry wasn't that afraid of profanity in 1973; ...that's absolute BULLSHIT !!! ....gimme a break...what about the Sex Pistols, or say...The MC5: They got kicked out of the Elektra records for having the word "Motherfucker" in their song " Kick Out The Jams"....and they had to change that to "brothers and sisters" what about the
Rolling Stones who had to change their lyrics in the seventies and the sixties too, because of profanity....Stones songs: Cocksucker Blues (didnt even get released at the time, - it was released many years later) or "Starfucker" - had to be changed to "Star Star"..what about Elvis Presley in the 50ś..when he recorded Big Mama Thornton song "Hound Dog" he had to change the line " You aint lookin for a woman, you just want to get a whore" to " You never got a rabbit and you aint no friend of mine"...etc, etc, etc......

There was many different kind of typewriters back in the seventies, manufactured by different companies, - letters didnt all look the same.. Besides, that letter could have been copied (xeroxed) many times during these years... So it might not look the same after all these years.

Interesting history there..but just as an FYI, Cocksucker Blues never got released. As a way to fulfill their contract with Decca, the Stones gave them this single (which was actually Mick solo) and said take it or leave it. They left it. Laughing

There's some leaked recordings of it though. Hilarious stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
Sponsored content

Georgia Peaches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Peaches   Georgia Peaches Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Georgia Peaches
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next