Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ?

Go down 
+9
rubber legs
Five Star Edge
TV-Eye
Radiobirdman73
james matlock
krugersoldier
mc
boogie
ozzyludo
13 posters
AuthorMessage
ozzyludo

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2010-03-07

Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ? Empty
PostSubject: Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ?   Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ? Icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 11:49 am

To complete my Stooges collection, I was interested in buying the "More Power" double CD (Cleopatra) because the tracklisting is excellent. But, I've read on this forum that this release has overdubbs Sad

So, can you advise me of one or more nice bootlegs / compilations of this James Williamson era ?
In fact, I want a compilation of the maximum of "lost tracks" like "Cock in my pocket", "She creature of the Hollywood Hills", "Tight pants", "Open up and bleed", "Pin point eyes", "Wet my bed", "Born in a trailer", "Gimme som skin", "Head on", etc, etc, etc...

I already have in my collection :
- The Stooges "My girls hates my heroin" 11 tracks (Revenge 1989)
- Iggy and The Stooges "Open up and bleed" 11 tracks (FGL / Revenge)

So thank you for listing me the bootlegs or complations that include these "lost tracks" Smile
Back to top Go down
boogie

boogie

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2009-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ?   Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ? Icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 12:12 pm

The Penetration comp is a must have for aficionados of the James Williamson era and Wild Love comp is a good one too.
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ?   Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ? Icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 12:15 pm

What about live stuff? You've gotta get California Bleeding and Live in LA73.
Back to top Go down
krugersoldier

krugersoldier

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2008-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ?   Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ? Icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 3:55 pm

Penetration is a really good one. There is also a CD which has the best parts of the Heavy Liquid box, its called "Gimme Some Skin" and is released by Get Back from Italy.

The best compilation of all though is a double cheapo release called "Head On" which was released by Recall records about 10 years ago, this has all the essential tracks on it except confusingly for the song Gimme Some Skin
Back to top Go down
james matlock

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ?   Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ? Icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 4:06 pm

What do people think of the "original punks" comp?
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ?   Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ? Icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 4:08 pm

krugersoldier wrote:
Penetration is a really good one. There is also a CD which has the best parts of the Heavy Liquid box, its called "Gimme Some Skin" and is released by Get Back from Italy.

The best compilation of all though is a double cheapo release called "Head On" which was released by Recall records about 10 years ago, this has all the essential tracks on it except confusingly for the song Gimme Some Skin

just to let you know the Get Back release is a pirate release.
Back to top Go down
krugersoldier

krugersoldier

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ?   Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ? Icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 4:14 pm

Really? if so thats a disgrace but I always thought they licenced stuff from other labels.
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ?   Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ? Icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 4:33 pm

krugersoldier wrote:
Really? if so thats a disgrace but I always thought they licenced stuff from other labels.

Maybe it's only this Stooges release, I think EA got into some litigation with them about it. I hope all their other releases are legit, they put out some interesting stuff.

There are several pirate labels that seem to manage to get their stuff into all the big online stores and even highstreet shops - eg Radioactive records, Phoenix Records.
Back to top Go down
Radiobirdman73

Radiobirdman73

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ?   Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ? Icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 5:47 pm

krugersoldier wrote:

The version of Head On that I have is a double disc and was my go-to album for years beforme the Heavy Liquid boxset came out. It may be out for print now but has a good selection of live and studio tracks - most of them essential listening
Back to top Go down
boogie

boogie

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2009-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ?   Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ? Icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 7:56 pm

Here's my copy of the late 90's Rubber LP from Get Back.
Greetings from Florence.

https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img208/2697/img024e.jpg
Back to top Go down
TV-Eye

TV-Eye

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2010-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ?   Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ? Icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 9:42 pm

Radiobirdman73 wrote:
krugersoldier wrote:

The version of Head On that I have is a double disc and was my go-to album for years beforme the Heavy Liquid boxset came out. It may be out for print now but has a good selection of live and studio tracks - most of them essential listening

I also own it. The sound is correct (but just correct). But, on this comp, you can't find "I'm Sick of You" or "Gimme Some Skin" for example. And, most of all, the second CD is a live, the quite famous live of the 31st of december 1973 (Anne Wehrer told about it in Iggy'autobiography). And, for this live, the sound is awful!!! I never listen to it.

I've been told that The Year of the Iguana was a good comp. And the Heavy Liquid boxset of course.
Back to top Go down
ozzyludo

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ?   Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ? Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 12:05 pm

thank you for all your informations !
now I will search on the web to find some of these CDs...
have a nice day !
Back to top Go down
krugersoldier

krugersoldier

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ?   Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ? Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 12:57 pm

TV Eye In think that you mean the other "Head On" CD with the black cover they are different releases, Stooges outtakes chaos for ever Smile
Back to top Go down
Five Star Edge

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ?   Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ? Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 3:25 pm

Is there a listing of all available raw power and post post raw power studio tracks? I own Heavy Liquid along with More Power (I know it has overdubs) but I wasn't sure if I was missing anything. I also need to pick up the raw power deluxe edition at some point for some of the bonus tracks on there as well. Thanks
Back to top Go down
rubber legs

rubber legs

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2007-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ?   Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ? Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 5:46 pm

AFAIC, the most essential of the demo/rehearsal collections is the Line Records CD version of I'm Sick of You. That collection hangs together best as an actual LP. Of course, it's not the be all, end all, but it's a good place to start.
Back to top Go down
NOS300B

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ?   Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ? Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 6:36 pm

james matlock wrote:
I like it. Seems like a good place to start once you've got the original three studio albums.
Back to top Go down
ozzyludo

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ?   Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ? Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2010 5:46 pm

I've received my Iggy Pop & The Stooges "Penetration" comp today.
the sound quality is nice, and the selection of songs too.

but I have a doubt about these tracks : "sell your love", "i got nothin'", johanna", "consolation prizes", "kill city", "no sense of crime", "beyond the law", "night theme". in the booklet we can read "recorded LA 1975". but The Stooges broke up 1 year earlier. so, are these tracks rehearsal tapes / demo tapes from the "Kill City" with only James Williamson and Iggy from the Stooges ? (sorry for my question, I've only heard the "Kill City" album twice many years ago, as I haven't got it... ok it's a shame... for the moment...)

same question for that : what about "jesus loves the stooges". in the booklet we can read the release date 1977.

but the "Penetration" comp is a must have for sure ! great CD !
Back to top Go down
ozzyludo

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ?   Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ? Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2010 6:08 pm

I've also received the double CD "Head On" compilation (Snapper Music / Recall 2cd). I'm listening to it at the moment.
the sound is not as good as the "Penetration" comp but the tracklisting is excellent. here it is for people who haven't got it yet :

CD1
head on
death trip
i got a right
hard to beat
cock in my pocket
rubber legs
johanna
pin point eyes
open up and bleed
raw power

CD2
she creatures of hollywood hills
my girl hates my heroin
hey baby
jesus loves the stooges
how it hurts
born in a trailer
wet my bed
rich bitch
i got nothing
not right

furthermore, the booklet contains some cool / unseen photos and documents.

to conclude, I can say that the "Head On" comp (and the "Penetration" one) are a good way to complete a Stooges collection, for fans like me who already owns the 3 official studio albums and the "Metallic KO" live album.

but, in the future, I'll certainly buy little by little the other releases that you advised me in the previous messages.
Back to top Go down
ozzyludo

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ?   Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ? Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2010 6:18 pm

"Raw Power" from CD1 on "Head On" is really strange with all the backing vocals / chorus. I've never heard this before. it's from a Detroit radio brodcast. the mix is different than the "Raw Power" Legacy edition and the "Raw Power" violent mix by Iggy in 1996.

PS : for information, I've discovered the "Raw Power" album for the first time in 1997 when I bought the Iggy remastered version... I was 17 years old...
Back to top Go down
ozzyludo

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ?   Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ? Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2010 8:14 pm

Five Star Edge wrote:
Is there a listing of all available raw power and post post raw power studio tracks? I own Heavy Liquid along with More Power (I know it has overdubs) but I wasn't sure if I was missing anything. I also need to pick up the raw power deluxe edition at some point for some of the bonus tracks on there as well. Thanks

I have done a quick list of unofficial tracks, I'm sure it is not complete, but here it is :

Born in a trailer
Cock in my pocket
Consolation Prizes
Fresh rag
Gimme some skin
Head on
Heavy Liquid
Hey baby
How it hurts
I got a right
I got nothing
I'm sick of you
Jesus loves the Stooges
Johanna
My girl hates my heroin
New-Orleans (aka Heavy Liquid)
Nigger Man
Open up and bleed
Pin point eyes
Rich bitch
Rubber legs
Scene of the crime
She creatures of Hollywood Hills
Tight pants
Till the end of the night
Wet my bed
What you gonna do

Maybe I'm wrong sometimes... I think of some material done between Iggy and Williamsom, I don't think we can call them "Stooges".
You are welcome to correct and complete the listing !
Back to top Go down
stooges

stooges

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2009-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ?   Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ? Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2010 8:33 pm

can turn you loose(pretty face riff)
Sweet Child I Like The Way You Walk (i need somebody)
do you want my name
shadow of your smile(iggy solo)
do you want my love
dead body aka who do you love
ron´s jam(instrumental)
Back to top Go down
jpod

jpod

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2007-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ?   Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2010 3:54 pm

NOS300B wrote:
james matlock wrote:
I like it. Seems like a good place to start once you've got the original three studio albums.

I agree. also much more accessible than listening to multiple takes of stuff ie. heavy liquid box set (nothing against HL but it is fairly comprehensive).
Original Punks groups that post-raw power stuff together rather nicely.

2 discs for £5 is a bargain. even if u do have many of the songs in different mixes (thats just the way it is for stooge fans!)

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;0;-1;-1;-1&sku=471990
Back to top Go down
mark

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ?   Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2010 10:18 pm

Get the Heavy Liquid box - it makes most of the other CDs with 'rehearsal' tracks on them redundant.

Rather than Rubber Legs, try the 'Studio Rehearsals 73-74' bootleg uploaded here - same tracks, better quality, although the vinyl rip that's currently available isn't the best. I will try and do a better one later this year!

The 73/74 live material is a whole different story, and I have to admit I haven't really got to grips with it yet!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ?   Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Raw Power era : best bootleg or comp ?
Page 1 of 1