Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Stooges Vegas date

Go down 
+4
Loose1969
Rode Hard
StoogesMySpaceAdmin
cb
8 posters
AuthorMessage
cb

cb

Number of posts : 522
Registration date : 2007-03-06

Stooges Vegas date Empty
PostSubject: Stooges Vegas date   Stooges Vegas date Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2007 12:42 am

10.27.07: Vegoose Festival, Sam Boyd Stadium, Las Vegas, NV
http://www.vegoose.com/index3.htm

cb flower
http://iggypop.org
Back to top Go down
http://iggypop.org, http://straightjameswilliamson.com
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2007-03-19

Stooges Vegas date Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stooges Vegas date   Stooges Vegas date Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2007 4:55 am

are you sure it's the 27th?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/iggyandthestooges
Rode Hard
Rich Bitch
Rode Hard

Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2007-08-16

Stooges Vegas date Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stooges Vegas date   Stooges Vegas date Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2007 10:56 pm

Las Vegas Sun

October 24, 2007

TAKE FIVE: IGGY POP AND THE STOOGES

Why they still matter

IF YOU GO
Saturday lineup: Daft Punk, Iggy & the Stooges, the Shins, Cypress Hill, Queens of the Stone Age, Public Enemy, STS9, Thievery Corporation, M.I.A. and others

Sunday lineup: Rage Against the Machine, Moe, Muse, Michael Franti & Spearhead, Umphrey's McGee, Robert Randolph & the Family Band, Ghostface Killah and others

When: Noon Saturday and Sunday (plus night shows at various venues , admission not included in festival tickets)

Where: Sam Boyd Stadium

Tickets: $79.50 for one day, $146.50 for both; unlvtickets.com

Information: www.vegoose.com

Iggy Pop and the Stooges landed with a giant critical thud in 1969.

Rolling Stone, still a hip magazine at the time, dismissed the band's first record, "The Stooges," with this line: "Their music is loud, boring, tasteless, unimaginative and childish." But fun nevertheless, the magazine added.

A year later, when the band had another record called "Fun House" in the bag, legendary rock critic Lester Bangs, writing in two issues of Creem, agreed - but said his rival publication was missing something special in the tribal drum rhythms and monstrous guitar riffs of the Ann Arbor, Mich. , misfits.

"When me and my friends would hear something we didn't like on the radio, the standard phrase was 'That guy should be killed,' " Iggy told The New York Times in 1992. "You'd really want to kill this person that was singing this phony song. 'I've seen fire and I've seen rain' - give me a break! You've seen the bedroom in your mom's house! It was a very extreme point of view."

As singer-songwriter James Taylor was finding his audience with sweet and gentle acoustic ditties, here were the Stooges , singing about sex, boredom and destruction - in a decidedly violent manner. The Stooges had unwittingly birthed punk, years before the Ramones and the Sex Pistols debuted.

But the band and its music were perhaps a little too original for the times, and the Stooges broke up after their third critical failure, "Raw Power," in 1973. (Drug habits didn't help.) With Iggy hitting a wall in his solo career, and the Stooges long retired from the music business and working construction jobs, the group re - formed in 2003.

Rekindling their original manic spirit, the Stooges have toured on and off for the past four years, and released "The Weirdness," their first album in 33 years, in March.

On Saturday they headline Vegoose, playing their seminal "Fun House" album in its entirety. Here are five reasons why Iggy and the Stooges still matter:

Respect

The Stooges, and "Fun House" in particular, birthed three generations of punk rockers, from the Ramones to Nirvana to the White Stripes. Jack White called the record "by proxy the definitive rock album of America." Chances are, if you listen to anything involving an electric guitar, the artist owes a debt to Iggy and the Stooges.

After watching the band perform the song "TV Eye" at the 2003 Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, rock critic Neil Strauss wrote in The New York Times, "It was more than clear that in the 33 years since the song was recorded, (punk rock) has largely been variations on a theme. And the first two Stooges albums are the theme."

History

"Fun House," according to Henry Rollins, is " 30-some minutes of loose and dangerous music played by bad men and should be heard once at least."

The record was recorded live on 12 reels of 3M Scotch brand audiotape over about eight days in a Los Angeles studio in May 1970, and Saturday is a chance to see most of the original lineup that laid down the historic tracks. (Bassist Mike Watt, formerly of the Minutemen and Firehose, takes the place of Dave Alexander, who died in 1975.)

Raw power

The songs on "Fun House" are so raw that Elektra Records executives, who dropped the band after hearing them in 1970, are still reeling from the experience.

Iggy grunts, hoots, howls, hollers, screams and cries over what can be described only as a perverse blend of punk and jazz, complete with jamming from saxophonist Steven Mackay. Nothing like it has been heard since.

"We had a sound and we always delivered," Iggy wrote in his memoir. "It was a sweeping sound, like Mongolian horsemen charging in, thousands of them, little Tartars with swords, frequencies only a geek can hear."

Bangs described it as the sound of a band that had settled on the concept before learning to play their instruments. In a word: primal.

Spectacle

There are few artists who can match an Iggy Pop performance, even as the Stooges front man turns 60.

"He does a better job of making a fool of himself on stage and vinyl than almost any other performer I've ever seen," Bangs once wrote.

Iggy, of course, is infamous for baiting his audience, but has matured a bit since the Stooges ' heyday. Back then, he gouged himself with broken glass, beat his chest with drumsticks and smeared himself with peanut butter. Now, fueled by little more than rigorous exercise and a few glasses of Bordeaux, Iggy gyrates across the stage, bending and twisting into unimaginable positions for his age. In short: a man possessed.

Still, watch out. Those of you in front may get spit on.

Cool time

You likely won't recognize any songs from a Carnival cruise commercial, or from Iggy's spotty solo career. On recent dates, the band has been drawing solidly from its first two albums, which still sound refreshingly raw and uncompromising.

Back then, it was a release.

"In Desolation Row and Woodstock-Altamont Nation the switchblade is mightier and speaks more eloquently than the penknife," Bangs wrote. "But this threat is cathartic, a real cool time is had by all, and the end is liberation."

Amen, brother.

Michael J. Mishak can be reached at 259-2347 or at michael.mishak@lasvegassun.com.
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

Stooges Vegas date Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stooges Vegas date   Stooges Vegas date Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 12:17 am

Guess who's looking into tix RIGHT FUCKING NOW.

Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
Rode Hard
Rich Bitch
Rode Hard

Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2007-08-16

Stooges Vegas date Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stooges Vegas date   Stooges Vegas date Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 12:54 am

How you gonna get there from Oregon in time? Better start drivin' like PRONTO. I'd stick to the main highways. Hope you make it!
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Stooges Vegas date Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stooges Vegas date   Stooges Vegas date Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 12:56 am

At $79.50, it's a fucking bargain to go and see my newest musical heroes.

FUCK IT, I'M GOING!

Now to book the flight, rent a car, etc...Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
heavy liquid
Admin
heavy liquid

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2007-02-26

Stooges Vegas date Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stooges Vegas date   Stooges Vegas date Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 6:17 am

Good luck. It would be a shame to miss the show.

How far is it from where you live?

Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Stooges Vegas date Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stooges Vegas date   Stooges Vegas date Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 5:21 pm

Vegas is probably about 1100 miles, give or take.

They have flights out of here, not a problem. Just having to empty my pockets a bit to do it. Oh well.... Wink
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

Stooges Vegas date Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stooges Vegas date   Stooges Vegas date Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 5:34 pm

yeah LOOSE !!!! you sons a bitch Smile heheheh your gonna love it ! bring a camera get some pics, and get there early threw all the bands, so that you get into the front.....
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Stooges Vegas date Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stooges Vegas date   Stooges Vegas date Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 5:36 pm

Already plotting and planning, man.... Wink
Working on booking a flight right now.
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

Stooges Vegas date Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stooges Vegas date   Stooges Vegas date Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 5:40 pm

i was almost going to go to this, but i saw van halen, and then i saw the vegas ticks, but it was too late, van halen tic's are 145 bucks. i woulda wanted the stooges anyway, but its cool, i saw em twice this year.... anyway, yeah get there early and check out the city. vegas has gotta be nice!! dont gamble though.
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Stooges Vegas date Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stooges Vegas date   Stooges Vegas date Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 6:02 pm

Hell, I won't be able to afford to gamble Laughing

Besides, already been there and done that. I'm just going for the Stooges, that's all.
Back to top Go down
jimmyo
Half Alive Incubator Baby
jimmyo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2007-05-08

Stooges Vegas date Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stooges Vegas date   Stooges Vegas date Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 5:07 am

lucky fucker. it'll be fo sho AWESOME!
Back to top Go down
EyeGee

EyeGee

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Stooges Vegas date Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stooges Vegas date   Stooges Vegas date Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 7:23 pm

Excellent set, started with the Funhouse LP in its order & entirety.

The venue was great because there were few people there in front of the stage, even 20 minutes before show time.

Iggy was in fine form, really into it.

Only issue was (again) Ron's amps blowing up about 3 songs in, and staying out for at least 4-5 numbers, with his sound only coming thru the PA.

I met a Stooges fan born in the 90's, and a Stooges fan born in 40's.

Thanks folks, it was a blast.

STOOGE POWER FOREVER
Back to top Go down

Stooges Vegas date Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stooges Vegas date   Stooges Vegas date Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 4:39 pm

EyeGee wrote:
Excellent set, started with the Funhouse LP in its order & entirety.

The venue was great because there were few people there in front of the stage, even 20 minutes before show time.

STOOGE POWER FOREVER

Aaargh youra lucky one! Did you make any pics?

My time will come at Werchter Classic Belgium in June 2008!
Back to top Go down
EyeGee

EyeGee

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Stooges Vegas date Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stooges Vegas date   Stooges Vegas date Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 9:56 pm

Yeah, definitely one of the better sets/sound I've heard on the West Coast.

If they're playing out here, I'm going. The two shows in SF were a treat, altho the sound was abysmal.

You'd think a TOP NOTCH touring organization like Stooges would at least get their guitarist's sound foolproof. It sucks for the band and for the audience when the amps go out.

Actually, since 3/4 of the shows have been in Europe, you guys are the lucky ones!!! Just need some transport, I guess.

Let's hope for plenty more Stooges in 2008, wherever you are!!!
Back to top Go down
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2007-03-19

Stooges Vegas date Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stooges Vegas date   Stooges Vegas date Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2007 12:12 am

Glad you guys went and had a "real cool time." I couldn't make it. I did go to a kick ass Halloween party though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/iggyandthestooges
Sponsored content

Stooges Vegas date Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stooges Vegas date   Stooges Vegas date Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stooges Vegas date
Page 1 of 1