Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Not one mention of Ron

Go down 
+17
Triskell
msteeln
Loose1969
Nadja
Aku
MJG196
kaiserken
larry fine
Natalie
Perdu
studioguy
Lucas
Radiobirdman73
Rob Gallucci
homesickjameswilliamson
Petrie Terrace
G, F#, E
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

Not one mention of Ron Empty
PostSubject: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 9:22 pm

Just a thought. This incarnation of The Stooges have played several songs written by Ron Asheton, "I Wanna Be Your Dog", "1970", "Fun House" and some instrumental versions of "Skull Ring" and "L.A. Blues". Yet excluding Sau Paulo there's been no mention of Ron at all. As this was Raw Power's home coming, to the very town it was recorded in, and in which the band lived for several months, it would have been nice for Iggy to have said something somewhere.

Sure there's moving on but there's also showing respect - especially when you're playing music Ron wrote.
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"
Petrie Terrace

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 9:26 pm

I couldn't agree more.

I gave Ron a salute, and said a little thank you, and I was stuck at the front of several thousand people jammed together like sardines.

Might have been nice if whoever designed the t-shirts had gone far enough out of their way to find a photo that had Ron and Scott in it too.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 11:10 pm

Yeh, i was wondering about this myself. I suppose they wanted to express this version as a band in its own right and not to make it seem like a couple guys getting together just to keep it going

not sure, i havent listened to the concert in full, but from recollection i dont think there was a mention, even ''this is Rons" / "this if for Ron"
Back to top Go down
Rob Gallucci

Rob Gallucci

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 11:28 pm

That is sad to hear.

Out of interest, is Mike W wearing anything Ron-related? I'm sure you will remember that he wore a T-shirt with a pic of Dave A on it when he first toured with the band as Dave's replacement. I would imagine that Scott and Mike at least would wish to publicly show respect towards Ron.
Back to top Go down
Radiobirdman73

Radiobirdman73

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 12:47 am

G, F#, E wrote:
Just a thought. This incarnation of The Stooges have played several songs written by Ron Asheton, "I Wanna Be Your Dog", "1970", "Fun House" and some instrumental versions of "Skull Ring" and "L.A. Blues". Yet excluding Sau Paulo there's been no mention of Ron at all. As this was Raw Power's home coming, to the very town it was recorded in, and in which the band lived for several months, it would have been nice for Iggy to have said something somewhere.

Sure there's moving on but there's also showing respect - especially when you're playing music Ron wrote.

First off - death is a weird thing to deal with. I mean, his brother is sitting on stage and could surely say something if he wanted. If he, or the band chose not to, it's not up to us to say whether or not it's disrespectful. Keep in mind - they knew Ron, most of us didn't ,so I don't think we should be so presumptuous as to declare what's disrespectful and what isn't. Personally, i wouldn't want to be reminded about of it night after night. Loss is strange that way.
Back to top Go down
Lucas

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2008-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 12:58 am

They mentioned Ron in Brasil. I'm sure they think about Ron very often, no need at all to mention that at gigs.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 1:05 am

Iggy mentioned Ron only once at their first gig with Williamson in the band. Surely if they're playing songs Ron wrote they're reminding themselves? So making a remark "This is for Ron Asheton" can't be too hard.
Back to top Go down
Radiobirdman73

Radiobirdman73

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 1:18 am

G, F#, E wrote:
Iggy mentioned Ron only once at their first gig with Williamson in the band. Surely if they're playing songs Ron wrote they're reminding themselves? So making a remark "This is for Ron Asheton" can't be too hard.

Why do you care so much? It seems like every one of your posts includes some element of Iggy bashing and another element of Ron praising. Dude, we get it, you love Ron and think Iggy's a prick. There's no need to beat the horse to dust.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 2:00 am

I hardly think paying tribute to a band member who wrote the music that they are playing is too much to ask for. Ron is to quite an extent forgotten at the moment and I hardly think bringing him is a bad thing but rather a valid point.

Most of your posts consist of praising Iggy, you have the right to say this. I disagree with what I see as ripping fans off in many packages and Iggy's past and recent view towards the Ashetons (his egotistical opinions in the Clash magazine article for instance). But I guess openly condemming every post I make makes it easier for you, things fit nicely when they're in little boxes. If we're talking repeated opinion lets get rid of every inch of Iggy praise on this forum, nothing like some opinion cleansing. Got to love selective free speech.
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

Number of posts : 840
Registration date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 2:45 am

To stir the pot further, did the 2003-2009 Stooges ever mention Dave Alexander? He had a big part of shaping the sound (if not writing the riffs) of the first two albums.
Back to top Go down
http://belowgroundsound.com
Perdu

Perdu

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 4:26 am

Uh, only at Coachella, Calif. 2003. Check out the portrait on Mike Watt's shirt.
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

Number of posts : 840
Registration date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 4:35 am

Perdu wrote:
Uh, only at Coachella, Calif. 2003. Check out the portrait on Mike Watt's shirt.

Outside of Mike's shirt I didn't think there was much else ever said.
Back to top Go down
http://belowgroundsound.com
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 5:46 am

I think its the attitiude of the band; like New York Dolls always mention thunders before lonely planet boy / you cant and sometimes mention kane before private world because thats the badn they are, they'll mention them

but i think the stooges are different, mojo described their outlook or approach to the reunion really well calling them a 'working band' - theyre here to work and get the job done and they're not going to mention all the previous band members, cause its probably in the double digits now including onetime bassists etc

so i guess thats just the way they do it, i can understand your frustration and even just for the first year saying ''this is a Ron Asheton song!" before those songs would be great to keep his name there

but i think the bands doing what the stones do which is to keep it relative; to keep it in the present and try they're best to let on theyre not over the hill and old guys

maybe, i dont know i could be wrong, but i think its just their attitude, just to keep going
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 5:59 am

Hi all,

Just back from London and am exhausted. But I wanted to clear up one thing. There was a shirt that had the four original Stooges on it. It is black with four faces and I bought 2 of them.

In addition, the Popped package is being dedicated to Dave, Ron, Billy and Zeke. I would not have it any other way.

As I was watching the gigs, I thought about Ron and Dave often during those songs. They will be forever in my heart and I am sure the guys feel the same.

Natalie
Back to top Go down
larry fine

larry fine

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 7:20 pm

Everyone deals with the death of a loved one in their own way. It is not for us to say how they should honor Ron's passing.

For some people, a constant reminder of the passing of someone close to them is just too painful to deal with on a regular basis. Perhaps they have agreed to not mention it on stage because it's still too emotional. My feeling is that whatever way they choose to deal with this very awful and painful thing is their business and whatever I feel about the subject is irrelevant.

And that is true for everyone, everywhere who has lost a loved one. It's always their business.
Back to top Go down
Radiobirdman73

Radiobirdman73

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 8:07 pm

larry fine wrote:
Everyone deals with the death of a loved one in their own way. It is not for us to say how they should honor Ron's passing.

For some people, a constant reminder of the passing of someone close to them is just too painful to deal with on a regular basis. Perhaps they have agreed to not mention it on stage because it's still too emotional. My feeling is that whatever way they choose to deal with this very awful and painful thing is their business and whatever I feel about the subject is irrelevant.

And that is true for everyone, everywhere who has lost a loved one. It's always their business.

my sentiments exactly
Back to top Go down
kaiserken

kaiserken

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 1:45 am

I'm just glad the Stooges are playing shows. As a musician who has lost a few bandmembers, it's nice to pay tribute, but you have to move on. It's respectful both for the dead and living.
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 3:41 am

G, F#, E wrote:

I read in an interview -- posted on this site somewhere -- where James was talking about this very thing. He talked about how he would play Ron's songs with respect and try to emulate Ron's style, as opposed to making those 1st two LPs his own. I dont think there's any higher form of respect from one musician to another, actually.
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 5:00 am

Quote :
He talked about how he would play Ron's songs with respect and try to emulate Ron's style, as opposed to making those 1st two LPs his own. I dont think there's any higher form of respect from one musician to another, actually.

Thats right, i remember thinking at the time how dead-on those versions were, and how it sounded distinctly un-James and decidedly Ronish; if that makes sense

and in that case, i think its the best way to remember Ron - keeps the train going with a wink a nudge

HJW
Back to top Go down
Aku

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 2:03 pm

Gigs are about having fun, - it's not funeral service.
Respect yes, - but moaning about the loss on every gig, - no.
Stooges are playing rock n roll shows - not doing funeral services around the world for their departed friend. Maybe the fans should get over it too and just enjoy the music.
Back to top Go down
kaiserken

kaiserken

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 7:23 pm

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
Quote :
He talked about how he would play Ron's songs with respect and try to emulate Ron's style, as opposed to making those 1st two LPs his own. I dont think there's any higher form of respect from one musician to another, actually.

Thats right, i remember thinking at the time how dead-on those versions were, and how it sounded distinctly un-James and decidedly Ronish; if that makes sense

and in that case, i think its the best way to remember Ron - keeps the train going with a wink a nudge

HJW
I thought the exact same thing listening to theses guys playing the Ron era material. James isn't injecting any of his signature style into these tunes.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Not to repeat myself, but watching the stuff on youtube, I can't belive that one of my favorite bands of all time, who never got any due in their day, have snatched victory out of the jaws of defeat.Iggy and the The Stooges have proved without a doubt that they are one of the best rock bands to ever exsist. After the sucess of the Stooges live shows, losing Ron, and now the Raw Power Stooges playing shows, it is truly a rock n roll miracle.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 7:49 pm

Yes James' playing has stayed very true to Ron, his solo in "I Wanna Be Your Dog" sounds more like the original version than Ron's in the reformed Stooges. However what I have found odd is how Iggy has not said "This one's for Ron Asheton" since Sau Paulo. It's a little thing but would be a very nice nod to Ron especially when you consider when many people go to these gigs (which have been great) will assume that James had written them.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 10:59 pm

kaiserken wrote:
homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
Quote :

HJW
I thought the exact same thing listening to theses guys playing the Ron era material. James isn't injecting any of his signature style into these tunes.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Havent been to any shows but from what I've heard on clips I agree.

I wonder what they will do with Ron's unfinished material.

Going back to Mike Watt & Dave. I think it's great the way Mike always has tried to talk up Dave's contribution to the band.
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 7:41 pm

Perdu wrote:

You mean THIS shirt? Cool

Not one mention of Ron IMG_0302
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 8:03 pm

great to see that photo again Steve.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Not one mention of Ron
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next