Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What's your favourite Iggy/Stooges mix?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
PineappleExpress
Pumpin' for Jill
PineappleExpress

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2009-06-04

What's your favourite Iggy/Stooges mix?  Empty
PostSubject: What's your favourite Iggy/Stooges mix?    What's your favourite Iggy/Stooges mix?  Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 8:42 am

So I just got some high quality headphones and have been listening to the stooges. John Cale did a really great job mixing the first album, I can't believe I didn't notice the piano in "I wanna be your dog" before! The analogue tape distortion sounds amazing too. My question is, what iggy/stooges album do you think was mixed the best and why?
Back to top Go down
turdburglar

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2012-11-11

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite Iggy/Stooges mix?    What's your favourite Iggy/Stooges mix?  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 3:10 am

Definitely the first one. Not just a great mix... the instruments were recorded perfectly also.

Haha i was just listening to the first album in the car with a friend a few nights ago,
and i said "wow, don't you wish records still sounded like this?"
Back to top Go down
PineappleExpress
Pumpin' for Jill
PineappleExpress

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite Iggy/Stooges mix?    What's your favourite Iggy/Stooges mix?  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 9:57 pm

An interesting fact for all you sound nerds out there:

If you look at a waveform off the original Stooges album, it's peaking!!!
What's your favourite Iggy/Stooges mix?  Dog_ti10
John Cale used a Dynamic Range Compression effect which only recently became popular 35 years later with digital technology.
It's pretty amazing, the album was way ahead of its time technically and musically. I don't have a copy of the LP but I would
be willing to bet that it would be the same if not louder considering the limited amount of head room on a digital medium.

What's your favourite Iggy/Stooges mix?  Cd_loudness_trend-something

The RAW POWER Iggy Mix is peaking too of course, but it was mastered digitally causing digital distortion which doesn't sound very nice. The album should have been remixed on an Analog system.
What's your favourite Iggy/Stooges mix?  Search10

Well you know what they say... the medium is the message.

Back to top Go down
woody

woody

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2011-02-07

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite Iggy/Stooges mix?    What's your favourite Iggy/Stooges mix?  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 11:59 pm

Shocked
Not really sure I understand the tech. But it does make me miss my old vinyl even more...
Back to top Go down
jpstooges

jpstooges

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2009-06-07

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite Iggy/Stooges mix?    What's your favourite Iggy/Stooges mix?  Icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 5:31 pm

FWIW, here's the waveform [I wanna be your dog] from my vinyl rip of the stooges original US LP. It kills other versions, especially the loud & crappy Rhino 2xCD "deluxe edition":
What's your favourite Iggy/Stooges mix?  66769_Dog_Waveform
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

Number of posts : 840
Registration date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite Iggy/Stooges mix?    What's your favourite Iggy/Stooges mix?  Icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 10:09 pm

Having done a fair share of mastering, Iggy's mix is just insane. No air left in there at all!!

Back to top Go down
http://belowgroundsound.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite Iggy/Stooges mix?    What's your favourite Iggy/Stooges mix?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What's your favourite Iggy/Stooges mix?
Page 1 of 1