Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

RAW POWER recording info

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
DanErdman

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-10-19

RAW POWER recording info Empty
PostSubject: RAW POWER recording info   RAW POWER recording info Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 6:29 am

I realize that it's a bit gauche to come out and ask for favors in my first post, but I can't think of a better place to drop this request. So I've been assigned to write a paper about 60s-70s multitrack recording that focuses on a particular work and the possible issues that might come up with regard to properly preserving this work. I've of course picked RAW POWER as the main character, so to speak, owing to the various incidents of production tomfoolery which have given fans such headaches over the years (and, of course, because I love it).

So, my humble request: can anyone point me to any sources - print, liner notes, onlines, whatever, as long as it's reasonably credible - which give any detail about the recording, mixing and mastering process? I took a quick trip through the archives of the forum to see if this had been brought up previously, but if so, I missed it; there's obviously a lot of interesting material here about the different versions, but most of that seems to be based on walking backwards from whatever version is under review (also, frankly, it's hard to put all of the insight found on this forum into one coherant piece; I'd be eternally grateful if someone could spell it all out for me). The more technical the info, the better - what kind of tape did they use? What did the board look like? Etc.

Thanks in advance, and I promise that future posts won't be so goldbrick-y.
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

Number of posts : 840
Registration date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: RAW POWER recording info   RAW POWER recording info Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 8:41 am

There so many issues with this recording, I don't think even the Stooges know for sure on a lot of this. There is a DVD that came with the Raw Power Boxset that has all of them talking about the recording and also has some scenes where Iggy is going through the multitracks, that might be a good starting point

It was recorded at London's CBS studio, so you might be able to find pictures of the board and other things

James Williamson also has a second FB page (first full), he's pretty open about talking about RP Page
Back to top Go down
http://belowgroundsound.com
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: RAW POWER recording info   RAW POWER recording info Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 10:55 am

There's this photo of James at a mixing desk, and behind him you can see a pile of tape boxes with some writing on. In the resolution I have this in I can't make out any of the writing but maybe you could find a higher rez version and figure out exactly where this is?

RAW POWER recording info Jmsjpg10

Paul Trynka's book probably also has some good info. Stuff like Ron throwing the RP acetate out the window and smashing it upon first hearing the mix.
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

Number of posts : 840
Registration date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: RAW POWER recording info   RAW POWER recording info Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 11:57 am

mc wrote:
There's this photo of James at a mixing desk, and behind him you can see a pile of tape boxes with some writing on. In the resolution I have this in I can't make out any of the writing but maybe you could find a higher rez version and figure out exactly where this is?

RAW POWER recording info Jmsjpg10

Paul Trynka's book probably also has some good info. Stuff like Ron throwing the RP acetate out the window and smashing it upon first hearing the mix.

I think James answered this picture as "Kill City" sessions, it looks to small for CBS London.
Back to top Go down
http://belowgroundsound.com
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: RAW POWER recording info   RAW POWER recording info Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 10:43 pm

"When the Stooges went to the CBS offices in LA for a meeting there was an acetate of Raw Power on the turntable ready to played for all in attendance. It had been flown out overnight by messenger. Ron walked over to the turntable, picked up the acetate and smashed into a million little pieces. So the Stooges leave, a new acetate is ordered in New York, messenger picks it up and once again an overnight flight later the Stooges are sitting in a conference room at CBS and this time they won't let Ron near the sound system. They made Ron Asheton listen to Raw Power.

I only mention this because I see so many people on this thread referencing that record. Ron played bass on Raw Power. That's because MainMan fired Ron and Scott from the band. They were later asked to rejoin but basically as session guys. He had absolutely no involvement in writing that record. Ron found the whole Raw Power experience to be humiliating.

Obviously, I was a little shocked when I saw the Stooges last year in NYC and Ron played Search and Destroy. I asked him later if Iggy had to bribe him in order to get him to do so and Ron responded with a smile and a wink and a "no comment." It must have been some bribe because when we were doing songs for Velvet Goldmine I offered to pay Ron an extra grand on top of what he was making to record Gimmie Danger. He told me to fuck off. Ron was the best... "

Full thread is on Velvet Rope:
http://www.velvetrope.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=619754&page=1&fpart=5

And there's this interview with Ron - http://www.furious.com/perfect/ronasheton3.html
Back to top Go down
woody

woody

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2011-02-07

PostSubject: Re: RAW POWER recording info   RAW POWER recording info Icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 12:09 am

mc wrote:
"I offered to pay Ron an extra grand on top of what he was making to record Gimmie Danger. He told me to fuck off."
haahahahahaha cheers

mc wrote:
"Ron was the best..."

Who could deny it?

Back to top Go down
heypeter

heypeter

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2012-10-12

PostSubject: Re: RAW POWER recording info   RAW POWER recording info Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 3:44 am

I saw somewhere a video of Iggy talking about using a tube like a bong for making that effect of 'Gimme Danger' guitar, and that they needed 2 ballads so they made 'I Need Somebody' and 'Gimme Danger'.

I'll search it, I think it was a video or a page I saw but I'll check if that was what you where looking for?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RAW POWER recording info   RAW POWER recording info Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RAW POWER recording info
Page 1 of 1