Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Pre-order the new album "Ready to die"

Go down 
+9
Nadja
studioguy
pernil
Mr. FunBoy
kingwayne
miester
woody
Geriatric KO
heavy liquid
13 posters
AuthorMessage
heavy liquid
Admin
heavy liquid

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2007-02-26

Pre-order the new album "Ready to die" Empty
PostSubject: Pre-order the new album "Ready to die"   Pre-order the new album "Ready to die" Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 5:14 pm

Pre-order the new album which comes out on April 30, 2013 here: http://www.fatpossum.com/news/307

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Pre-order the new album "Ready to die"   Pre-order the new album "Ready to die" Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 10:36 pm

No thanks Laughing
Back to top Go down
heavy liquid
Admin
heavy liquid

PostSubject: Re: Pre-order the new album "Ready to die"   Pre-order the new album "Ready to die" Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 6:33 am

Geriatric KO wrote:
No thanks Laughing

Your posts are really annoying, and you only have 4.

That was not funny, and was a very stupid comment.

woody

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2011-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Pre-order the new album "Ready to die"   Pre-order the new album "Ready to die" Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 3:17 pm

Even if hopes are not high, it's an important moment/milestone in the life of the band.

We can't expect the kind of music the guys made as hungry young men, now that they're old and rich, but it's still really important to hear what they have to say.

If you're a fan, that is.

Or even if you have only a passing interest in the history of the culture of radical underground rock music.

Or even if you care about music at all.

Back to top Go down
miester

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Pre-order the new album "Ready to die"   Pre-order the new album "Ready to die" Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 3:18 pm

I'm fangin , especially for the lyrics.
Back to top Go down
kingwayne

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Pre-order the new album "Ready to die"   Pre-order the new album "Ready to die" Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 3:54 pm

Woody expressed it very well. Great post. I agree.
Back to top Go down
http://www.brunok.se
Mr. FunBoy

Mr. FunBoy

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2009-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Pre-order the new album "Ready to die"   Pre-order the new album "Ready to die" Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 11:58 am

Geriatric KO wrote:
No thanks Laughing

then forget you Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://HeavyLiquidVideos.yola.com
pernil

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Pre-order the new album "Ready to die"   Pre-order the new album "Ready to die" Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 2:28 pm

Very disappointed in what I've heard... I was expecting far more from Williamson, in the way of riffs like "Open Up and Bleed", "Johanna" or "Gimme Danger". After all, they've now had a number of years since Wiliamson reentered the band to come up with new, creative tunes. There's nothing on the album that matches unreleased gems like "Fresh Rag", "You Don't Want My Name" or "Black Like Me"/"Who Do You Love" or "Open Up And Bleed", "Cock In My Pocket", etc. They should have recorded the 1971-74 songs instead. I guess my expectations are unrealistic, but it bothers me a lot that we might never get to hear studio takes of truly brilliant Stooges tunes!

PN
Back to top Go down
heavy liquid
Admin
heavy liquid

PostSubject: Re: Pre-order the new album "Ready to die"   Pre-order the new album "Ready to die" Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 2:49 pm

To be fair, they are in their 60's now and it took James over a year to "get back up to speed". People shouldn't expect them to sound like it was still 1973. I do agree that they should record the 71-74 songs. Hopefully they do!

studioguy

Number of posts : 840
Registration date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Pre-order the new album "Ready to die"   Pre-order the new album "Ready to die" Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 7:36 pm

heavy liquid wrote:
To be fair, they are in their 60's now and it took James over a year to "get back up to speed". People shouldn't expect them to sound like it was still 1973. I do agree that they should record the 71-74 songs. Hopefully they do!

Exactly, there is no way they would sound the same as '71-'74, they are completely different people now. Back then they were in their 20's and it was 100% music as they didn't have anything else. Also Raw Power is a strange sounding recording from a technical point of view, things were recorded and then mixed poorly which adds to the desperate vibe of that record. R2D was recorded/mixed state of the art, it would be impossible to recreate the old vibe again IMHO

I like the new songs especially "Sex And Money" and "Ready To Die"
Back to top Go down
http://belowgroundsound.com
pernil

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Pre-order the new album "Ready to die"   Pre-order the new album "Ready to die" Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 7:51 pm

It's not so much the vibe as the sheer quality of the songwriting of many 1971-74 leftovers. There are many unreleased Stooges songs that are excellent and they would sound great regardless of the age of those who play them. I think most people agree that "Open Up And Bleed" is a highlight of their current set, for example! And making strong albums post-60 isn't impossible, as has been proven by many artists.
PN
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

PostSubject: Re: Pre-order the new album "Ready to die"   Pre-order the new album "Ready to die" Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 8:56 pm

pernil wrote:
It's not so much the vibe as the sheer quality of the songwriting of many 1971-74 leftovers. There are many unreleased Stooges songs that are excellent and they would sound great regardless of the age of those who play them. I think most people agree that "Open Up And Bleed" is a highlight of their current set, for example! And making strong albums post-60 isn't impossible, as has been proven by many artists.
PN

I agree on Open Up And Bleed. That whole era had a desperate vibe about it (I'm old enough to have lived it as a teenager) at least the real rock bands did (Stones, Stooges, New York Dolls etc)

Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Buddy Guy and a few others might disagree on the post 60 strong album statement. Nobody young is putting out strong albums either right now, nothing with any staying power at least.
Back to top Go down
heavy liquid
Admin
heavy liquid

PostSubject: Re: Pre-order the new album "Ready to die"   Pre-order the new album "Ready to die" Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 9:01 pm

Studio guy - Define "young"

studioguy

PostSubject: Re: Pre-order the new album "Ready to die"   Pre-order the new album "Ready to die" Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 9:14 pm

heavy liquid wrote:
Studio guy - Define "young"

Same age as the Stooges, Stones etc in their prime.

I'm pretty down on the current state of music, having recorded probably 30 young bands in the last few years, only one has any real chance due to strong original songwriting and attitude, the rest are just poorly rehashing bad metal and Nirvana.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Pre-order the new album "Ready to die"   Pre-order the new album "Ready to die" Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 10:01 pm

[quote="studioguy"][
I'm pretty down on the current state of music, having recorded probably 30 young bands in the last few years, only one has any real chance due to strong original songwriting and attitude, the rest are just poorly rehashing bad metal and Nirvana.[/quote]

Sounds like there's a real lack of imagination out there.

Maybe the new Stooges album could've been a wee bit more adventurous, but it's good and it's growing on me all the time.
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

PostSubject: Re: Pre-order the new album "Ready to die"   Pre-order the new album "Ready to die" Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 1:13 am

Nadja wrote:
studioguy wrote:
[
I'm pretty down on the current state of music, having recorded probably 30 young bands in the last few years, only one has any real chance due to strong original songwriting and attitude, the rest are just poorly rehashing bad metal and Nirvana.

Sounds like there's a real lack of imagination out there.

Maybe the new Stooges album could've been a wee bit more adventurous, but it's good and it's growing on me all the time.

Sheep mentality, they think "so and so made it big by sounding like this, so will I". 7 years ago when I started, it was all "Blink182" or Screamo, I almost quit because I couldn't take it!!!! Scared. Doh

Last edited by studioguy on Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Borntohula

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2007-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Pre-order the new album "Ready to die"   Pre-order the new album "Ready to die" Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 1:42 pm

Personaly I hope for a nice bootleg with 2-3 new songs mixed with the old. Would make for a perfect album considering how good they sound right now Wink
Back to top Go down
stooges

stooges

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2009-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Pre-order the new album "Ready to die"   Pre-order the new album "Ready to die" Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 12:09 am

I agree that the album is not very creative. I expected more creativity in the riffs, but it's just a rip off of their work or is it a classic rocknroll, rock. Such riffs were certainly long before.

But it's still a good album, it's definitely better than weirdness.

Back to top Go down
osterbergermeister

osterbergermeister

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2007-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Pre-order the new album "Ready to die"   Pre-order the new album "Ready to die" Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 10:26 pm

Those guys at Fat Possum told me that if I pre-ordered that I'd get it before the street date. So I did. It's already April 30 and I ain't seen it yet. I guess they're living up to their motto: "We're trying our best."
Back to top Go down
jpod

jpod

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2007-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Pre-order the new album "Ready to die"   Pre-order the new album "Ready to die" Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 2:30 pm

Anybody else in the UK received their Fat Possum orders yet?
or anyone anywhere else for that matter?!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pre-order the new album "Ready to die"   Pre-order the new album "Ready to die" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pre-order the new album "Ready to die"
Page 1 of 1