Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Stooges: Head On (Book)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Hectorlovesthestooges

Hectorlovesthestooges

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2009-07-12

The Stooges: Head On (Book) Empty
PostSubject: The Stooges: Head On (Book)   The Stooges: Head On (Book) Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 9:10 pm

Hi! it's good to post again in the forum. I would like to know if somebody here has this book:

http://www.atomicbooks.com/index.php/stooges-head-on.html

I couldn't find anything about it on this forum so I decided to start this thread, because I would like to know if it's worth buying it.

Thanks, friends! The Stooges: Head On (Book) 367551
Back to top Go down
woody

woody

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2011-02-07

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: Head On (Book)   The Stooges: Head On (Book) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 1:51 am

I was foolish enough to buy a copy of the earlier edition of this book.

It's sloppy, ignorant, full of errors and irritatingly difficult to read because so much of it is so badly written. It's a rush job, the author admits he had no access to the band until just before the publication deadline, and he knew almost nothing about the band before he started work on the book.

It's very thin, and heavily padded out with lots of self-indulgent irrelevant boring stuff about the author's personal experiences in researching the book. Really indulgent and really boring.

Actually the worst published book I've ever read on any subject at all, which is going some. Laughing

Back to top Go down
heavy liquid
Admin
heavy liquid

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: Head On (Book)   The Stooges: Head On (Book) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 6:38 am

I don't think that book is worth buying...
Back to top Go down
https://stoogesforum.forumotion.com
Donald

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2007-11-22

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: Head On (Book)   The Stooges: Head On (Book) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 11:46 am

I managed to get through the first chapter but haven't felt like picking it up since. As a clue to how ill informed the author is, there is nothing on the 1971 line-up of the band at all. I did skim the rest to check.
Back to top Go down
Hectorlovesthestooges

Hectorlovesthestooges

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: Head On (Book)   The Stooges: Head On (Book) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 5:19 pm

Thanks a lot guys!!! I'll forget about that book then Laughing
Back to top Go down
heavy liquid
Admin
heavy liquid

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: Head On (Book)   The Stooges: Head On (Book) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Hectorlovesthestooges wrote:
Thanks a lot guys!!! I'll forget about that book then Laughing

Wise choice!
Back to top Go down
https://stoogesforum.forumotion.com
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: Head On (Book)   The Stooges: Head On (Book) Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 10:29 pm

woody and Donald are right, it's very ill-informed. I did kind of like the writing style though, oddly enough.
Back to top Go down
Hectorlovesthestooges

Hectorlovesthestooges

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: Head On (Book)   The Stooges: Head On (Book) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 5:03 pm

What a waste of paper and ink. I think the author himself wrote about his own book on Wikipedia to promote it like it was something special or authorized by the band.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stooges

"The following year, Detroit author Brett Callwood published The Stooges - Head On: A Journey Through The Michigan Underground, a book which focuses heavily on the Asheton brothers activities after the initial decline of The Stooges."

That was why I started the thread, but already knew that it was probably bullshit.
Back to top Go down
woody

woody

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2011-02-07

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: Head On (Book)   The Stooges: Head On (Book) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 12:52 am

He became a self-styled 'Detroit author' after writing the book.

He's a Johnny-come-lately UK journo-hack with pretentions and a lot of brass neck, imo.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: Head On (Book)   The Stooges: Head On (Book) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Stooges: Head On (Book)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Down on the Street.-
Jump to: