Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Acoustic Iggy LP That Never Was...

Go down 
+4
regufr
homesickjameswilliamson
all-vox-man
MJG196
8 posters
AuthorMessage
MJG196

MJG196

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2007-02-26

The Acoustic Iggy LP That Never Was... Empty
PostSubject: The Acoustic Iggy LP That Never Was...   The Acoustic Iggy LP That Never Was... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 6:07 am

I just finished "Open Up and Bleed," and must say that the idea of an acoustic LP would have been great to capitalize on.

When Johnny Thunders emerged from the disaster that was 1981/1982, his manager got him to record an LP almost 100% acoustic guitar. "Hurt Me" transformed many of Johnny's songs into gentle, yet powerfully emotive ballads. I think Iggy's career could only have benefited from such an album.

Perhaps Iggy was just too scared to put himself in front of the public in that way? He could always hide behind waves of distortion.

Plus, can anyone think of a cheaper way to record an album for a singer short on cash?

Here is an example. The song Hurt Me was written by Johnny and Richard Hell (during The Heartbreakers first incarnation). I always felt it had much more depth when played acoustically. Imagine Raw Power played quietly...

Hurt Me: http://www.divshare.com/download/3327260-6e5
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
all-vox-man

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: The Acoustic Iggy LP That Never Was...   The Acoustic Iggy LP That Never Was... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 9:31 pm

I'd have loved st like that. Well... he's still on time.
Back to top Go down
all-vox-man

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: The Acoustic Iggy LP That Never Was...   The Acoustic Iggy LP That Never Was... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 10:02 pm

Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: The Acoustic Iggy LP That Never Was...   The Acoustic Iggy LP That Never Was... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 5:24 am

You know, i read in a mojo magazine from like '96 that the stooges planned, not only to get back together around that time (and probly would have save iggy's brief moment in the sun thanks to trainspotting) but they also planned to do an acoustic album, and they were workin on stuff, though i think either i read it in open up and bleed or paul said it on here that nothin happened and it fizzled out
Back to top Go down
regufr

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-05-02

PostSubject: Re: The Acoustic Iggy LP That Never Was...   The Acoustic Iggy LP That Never Was... Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 9:34 pm

all-vox-man wrote:
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=KBdWWPXSWag

An approach...

And now, I just bought it, there's a CD/65 Mns DVD call Acoustics KO from skydog, tracks 1 to 9 are from Barcelona in 1993 (video), tracks 10 to 16 are from 1990 in Paris (video), and Iggy is not so bad alone with his guitar, even with 3 strings Shocked

http://www.mtv.com/music/artist/iggy_pop/albums.jhtml?albumId=2211286
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: The Acoustic Iggy LP That Never Was...   The Acoustic Iggy LP That Never Was... Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 11:25 pm

Avenue B has a lot of acoustic. There's an Iggy CD I've never bothered to track down but it's called Acoustic KO. Apparently it has an acoustic rendition of Down On The Street on it. It sounds interesting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Acoustic Iggy LP That Never Was...   The Acoustic Iggy LP That Never Was... Icon_minitimeSat May 10, 2008 12:54 am

I was listening at it thoroughly in a record shop, I actually love to hear iggy playing and singing like that...but there was something i didn't like...it was as if it was put tooo easily together, the songs maybe or the compilation of the whole recording..don't know...and after a lot of hesitating i didn't buy it..(had also to do with a moneygap in that period)...so i'm still not sure. definitely the avenue b has a few great acoustic songs..guess that was what i wanted to hear in that Acoustic KO cd.
Back to top Go down
Chazz Avery

Chazz Avery

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: The Acoustic Iggy LP That Never Was...   The Acoustic Iggy LP That Never Was... Icon_minitimeSat May 10, 2008 7:24 am

There was the 1990 acoustic Brick By Brick promo album titled Butt Town.
I like that quite a lot.
The Acoustic Iggy LP That Never Was... D68b_1
Back to top Go down
http://beatlesource.com/chazz
regufr

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-05-02

PostSubject: Re: The Acoustic Iggy LP That Never Was...   The Acoustic Iggy LP That Never Was... Icon_minitimeSat May 10, 2008 7:59 pm

Chazz Avery wrote:
I like that quite a lot.

For those interested, the butt town CD is available here

http://punknotprofit.blogspot.com/2007/04/iggy-pop-brick-by-brickbutt-town.html

And the track list from the audio CD of Acoustics KO is the same except Nightclubbing.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: The Acoustic Iggy LP That Never Was...   The Acoustic Iggy LP That Never Was... Icon_minitimeSat May 10, 2008 9:19 pm

Punk Not Profit is a great website. I've downloaded "1971 & Early Live Rarities", "The Complete Funhouse Sessions" and countless other Iggy bootlegs from it.
Back to top Go down
J.N

J.N

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: The Acoustic Iggy LP That Never Was...   The Acoustic Iggy LP That Never Was... Icon_minitimeSun May 11, 2008 2:36 pm

Chazz Avery wrote:
I like that quite a lot.

Most songs are better in my opinion in that way than they got than they got out when they are recorded with the full band
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUoTKokB3DQ10lxKmXL7WbA/videos?
Donald

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2007-11-22

PostSubject: Hurt Me, now you're talking...   The Acoustic Iggy LP That Never Was... Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2008 6:29 pm

The Butt town demos are interesting but I don't find them better than the finished article.

Hurt Me is a great album though. I like the version of Lonely Planet Boy on there. Oh and I'd Much Rather Be With the Boys is top too.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: The Acoustic Iggy LP That Never Was...   The Acoustic Iggy LP That Never Was... Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2008 6:37 pm

Who's hurt me by Donald - dolls?/thunders?
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: The Acoustic Iggy LP That Never Was...   The Acoustic Iggy LP That Never Was... Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2008 5:48 am

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
Who's hurt me by Donald - dolls?/thunders?

Johnny Thunders - solo.
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Acoustic Iggy LP That Never Was...   The Acoustic Iggy LP That Never Was... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Acoustic Iggy LP That Never Was...
Page 1 of 1