Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt

Go down 
+3
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Nadja
Chazz Avery
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Chazz Avery

Chazz Avery

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Empty
PostSubject: Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt   Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 6:30 pm

I haven't seen any talk here about the pre-reunion Stooges tribute shows done by the Ashtons, J. Mascis and Watt. I'm quite fond of what I've heard. I've been a fan of Watt's since the early 1980s and The Minutemen. Likewise with J. Mascis and Dinosaur Jr.

Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Aamw00

An almost full concert from Pukkelpop (Belgium) Aug 24, 2002 can be downloaded from Corndogs.org.

Some other details of show can be found here

Some good pics from All Tomorrow's Party Mar 15, 2002 with additional guests Thurston Moore, Kim Gordon and a mowhawked Eddie Vedder can be found here (along with many other Stooges reunion pics).

More pics Dec 6, 2002 The Netherlands.

Here's some pics I have from Pukkelpop...

Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Aamw01Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Aamw02
Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Aamw03Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Aamw04
Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Aamw05
If you watch the video, I don't know who the hell this joker is who sings (or tries to) on "No Fun".

Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Aamw06Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Aamw07
Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Aamw08Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Aamw09
Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Aamw10Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Aamw11
Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Aamw12Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Aamw13
Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Aamw14Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Aamw15
Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Aamw16Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Aamw17
Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Aamw18Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Aamw19
Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Aamw20Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Aamw22
Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Aamw21Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Aamw23
Back to top Go down
http://beatlesource.com/chazz
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt   Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 6:55 pm

wow ... a lot of pics ...

yeah, it's true the likes of Watt don't get much mention on here!
Back to top Go down
Chazz Avery

Chazz Avery

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt   Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 8:01 pm

Nadja wrote:
I would say he qualifies as a bonafide Stooge by now. With the exception of Iggy and the Ashtons, he's been a Stooge longer than anyone else (5 years). And, to me, AAM&W verges very close to actually being The Stooges.
Back to top Go down
http://beatlesource.com/chazz
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt   Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 8:29 pm

hey chazz, very cool !!

do you have an pics of the stooges maybe from even around 1970 ? that you got off the web and stuff... ? 70-71 area ?

cheers !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt   Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 8:30 pm

Chazz Avery wrote:
I would say he qualifies as a bonafide Stooge by now.
Totally agree with that!!!
He's a great guy and a very good bass player!!!
Watt does a lot other music stuff + the Pedro radio show with interesting talks and great music.
To my opinion Watt has a broad musical talent and capacity. Adding good vibes to The Stooges!
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt   Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 1:26 pm

Chazz Avery wrote:
Nadja wrote:
I would say he qualifies as a bonafide Stooge by now. With the exception of Iggy and the Ashtons, he's been a Stooge longer than anyone else (5 years). And, to me, AAM&W verges very close to actually being The Stooges.

Of course Watt is now a straight-up member of The Stooges, and he does a fantastic job!
Just because he happened to join when they're older and wiser and all, rather than during their younger, wild days, doesn't make his contribution less valid ... but of course it does make it kind of different.
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt   Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 6:04 pm

Mike is definitely a Stooge now. He fits the band like a glove. That, and as pointed out earlier, he's played bass with them longer than any of his predecessors.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
sheddy

sheddy

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt   Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 6:43 pm

Watt should be part of the group interviews by now.
He has, after all, recorded a studio album with The Stooges.

Either that, or the band should be called "Iggy and The Stooges and Mike Watt". j/k.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt   Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 7:32 pm

why can't they just be called The Stooges, I wonder? like at the very beginning? but I guess that WAS a long time ago, and there's been a lot of water under the bridge since then (or whatever the phrase is)
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt   Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 7:36 pm

cos iggy is bigger, he had a huge solo career as we know, plus theyre called the stooges on the weirdness, if im not mistaken, i think ppl just bill them as iggy & the stooges cos iggys been goin the longest etc

also i dunno how much of a say they have in interviews, i assume ppl just ask the original three to talk, dunno, not in the business so i cudnt say lol
Back to top Go down
Donald

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2007-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt   Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 7:41 pm

I saw AAM&W in London once and really enjoyed them. At the time I thought it was the only time I was going to see Fun House played by some of the guys that wrote it. Not a patch on the real thing though.

I suspect they aren't always billed as the Stooges because the promoter feels that people won't realise that Iggy is in the band. One of my friends was worried about seeing the Stooges and I had to reassure him that Iggy would be there so it isn't unreasonable.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt   Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 7:52 pm

Donald wrote:

I suspect they aren't always billed as the Stooges because the promoter feels that people won't realise that Iggy is in the band. One of my friends was worried about seeing the Stooges and I had to reassure him that Iggy would be there so it isn't unreasonable.

that's a sound point, of course, the name 'Iggy' is still more instantly recognizable than 'The Stooges', to a lot of people...
Back to top Go down
sheddy

sheddy

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt   Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2008 8:31 am

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
cos iggy is bigger, he had a huge solo career as we know, plus theyre called the stooges on the weirdness, if im not mistaken, i think ppl just bill them as iggy & the stooges cos iggys been goin the longest etc

also i dunno how much of a say they have in interviews, i assume ppl just ask the original three to talk, dunno, not in the business so i cudnt say lol

Regarding as Iggy as being "bigger", I don't think you can argue that if you look at work done outside The Stooges.
Ron mentioned in some of his past interviews hoe Iggy always had to be the centre of attention, or something like that.

And, I'm, sure I remember reading that Mike wanted to take a back seat and not join in with interviews as he wasn't an original member.
I'm sure it was his decision to do so.
He's a "Stooge" in my eyes.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt   Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2008 7:27 pm

he's a stooge in my eyes as well! i think that nudge iggy gave him last year, knockin him to the floor, was like an initiation lol and he kept playing

but i think, sheddy, that donald probly hit the nail on the head in saying that ppl are gonna know the name 'iggy' before they know 'stooges'. which is just marketing, and sure 'the weirdness' has the stooges on it, i think iggy needs this band to work so much that he has almost, well, forgotten's the wrong word but 'left' his solo career and has it as the stooges in his head, cos he's just in that place at the moment, u'no

HJW
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt   Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Asheton, Asheton, Mascis & Watt
Page 1 of 1