Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

1970: The Alternative Funhouse

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

1970: The Alternative Funhouse Empty
PostSubject: 1970: The Alternative Funhouse   1970: The Alternative Funhouse Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 3:17 am

1970: The Alternative Funhouse DSC02639

I finally - almost a year to the...month or so, i bought the complete funhouse sessions, i have finally listened to it through and through completely - and properly listened to the boxset, did a run through once when i got it, but it was more just because i bought it i felt i needed to run though it, didnt compare to this time though

i cant believe how good this album, these songs, the band, everything, this band is the ultimate rock and roll band ever, just he best band ever, i heard things ive never heard before, and as i stated in the waht are you listening to thread scotty really jumped out as the most impressive, i suppose because im usually goin on about how great iggy is, the ron etc

and as i stated in the thread, the whole band really came together, and re-impressed me (and as i stated in the thread, i dont know if thats a word! lol) but i uncovered unbelievable sounds in rons guitar i'd never heard by him or anyone else ever before, i wanna get that guitar and set up now!! and i'd always held ron above james williamson in terms of skills and sound, but james is my favourite stooges guitarist, because of the sound he makes, its hte sound i wanna make with guitar, but after listenin to this and the organic nature of the music, and being as layered and complex as it is simple listening to the sessions just pushed ron up another couple hundred yards in my view, almost to the point of them being both my favourite guitarists (and in the same sense that all three albums are both my favourite stooges albums and favourite album albums!! i just cant choose! lol)

but this is a great set, i'd advise ne one who's on the point where they dont know whether or not to get it, do, any amount of money, its well worth it

but because of the sheer amount of tracks (33 looses!) and the quality of most of tracks, i was thinking (since the boards been a bit dead) of starting soemthing of a contest, not really, as theres nothin to win, and i dont think many ppl on the board have the boxset - but if you do, state your alternative version of funhouse and the number on their boxset

the idea came to me, beacuse i'd been lsitenin to the alternative exile on main street and alternatve sticky fingers, and its cool to listen to wat the album may have sounded like, and what they put on and left off etc, so i guess i'll go first

1970: The Alternative Funhouse Picture1-1

0734/3000

Side One:

Loose (Take 9) [Disc 2]
Down On The Street (Take 6) [Disc 3]
Slidin' the Blues [Disc 2]
Lost in the Future (Take 1) [Disc 2]

Side Two:

T.V. Eye (Take 5) [Disc 4]
1970 (Take 4) [Disc 5]
Dirt (Take 10) [Disc 6]
Funhouse (Take 3) [Disc 5] - with introduction on (Take 1)
Freak (Take 1) [Disc 6]

thats keeping close to how they wouldve performed it, i think they performed it literally as it was on the record, except that loose was performed before down on the street

another version i might try out;

Side One:

Funhouse (Take 3) [Disc 5] w/ intro
Loose (Take 9) [Disc 2]
Slidin The Blues
Dirt (Take 10) [Disc 6]

Side Two:

T.V. Eye (Take 5) [Disc4]
Lost in the Future [Take 1] [Disc 2]
Down on the Street (Take 6) [Disc 3]
1970 (Take 4) [Disc 5]
Freak (Take 1) [Disc 6]

thats sounds cool too, gunna make these as playlists in iTunes and see what works, post any suggestions you have and let others check out your arrangement - you can do anyhting, different takes of the same tracklisting, or the same tracklisting in a different order, or whatever - the album's tracklisting and takes a pretty perfect in my opinion, but the wealth of music in the complete funhouse sessions just allows for a bit of fun!

thanks,
HJW

1970: The Alternative Funhouse DSC01425-1
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: 1970: The Alternative Funhouse   1970: The Alternative Funhouse Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 4:44 am

I love that intro to TV Eye, where Iggy says " Gimmie that Mic... I'll take on anyone one of you" hahaha.. then the other band members are like " BOOOOOOO .. .Get him outta there... and YOU SUCK" hahahah. its funny.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: 1970: The Alternative Funhouse   1970: The Alternative Funhouse Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 4:58 am

yeh its a cool intro

they mustve been planning to put it on the album cos its on their twice, on two takes i mean

also i dont think it was iggy, altho it sounds exactly like him i remember reading somewhere it wass billy cheatham i think

still cool as hell tho!
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: 1970: The Alternative Funhouse   1970: The Alternative Funhouse Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 9:06 am

really ? it sounds exactly like iggy...
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

Number of posts : 666
Registration date : 2008-02-10

PostSubject: Re: 1970: The Alternative Funhouse   1970: The Alternative Funhouse Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 10:18 am

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
yeh its a cool intro

they mustve been planning to put it on the album cos its on their twice, on two takes i mean

also i dont think it was iggy, altho it sounds exactly like him i remember reading somewhere it wass billy cheatham i think

still cool as hell tho!

Where did ya find that link where it said it was Billy? To me it just sounds 100% Iggy Smile And I think it's type of thing he would do Smile I've read only that he's imitating wrestler, right? Cuz to me it also sounds as if he tried to make fun of Jimmy Durante's voice LOL Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tosterhead/music
Paul T

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-03-23

PostSubject: Re: 1970: The Alternative Funhouse   1970: The Alternative Funhouse Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 1:07 pm

Are we talking about Billy pretending to be Red Rudy, a wrestler? It was apparently one of his party pieces - wrestling shows were a staple of Stooges TV viewing at the Fun House.

I think all my faves were used on the second disk of the Rhino two-fer.... I kept listening and taking notes but it was very tricky... often I found that it was simply whatever version I'd listened to last that was my favorite...
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: 1970: The Alternative Funhouse   1970: The Alternative Funhouse Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 2:51 pm

I compiled a couple of cassettes for my old car soon after I'd got the Fun House sessions set. I basically put a different version of Fun House in the same order on four sides of tape. I loved these tapes! But if you asked me to choose my favourites I wouldn't be able to - the cassettes were pretty much randomly picked choices (apart from the fact that I didn't include any false starts) and all were consistently excellent.
For a band that was sometimes derided as a bunch of stoned idiots they could really play, and play consistently to a very high standard. I mean all those takes of "Loose" one after another, and virtually all of them good enough to appear on the album.
Rhino's second disc is pretty good and as a one disc alternative Fun House it can't really be faulted.
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: 1970: The Alternative Funhouse   1970: The Alternative Funhouse Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 8:36 am

I agree with JamesWilliamson82. It sounds 100% Iggy... either way, I still think it's hilarious.

Cheers !
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: 1970: The Alternative Funhouse   1970: The Alternative Funhouse Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 3:34 pm

i always thought it was iggy, but like paul says its a red rudy impression byt billy cheatham, theyre all from around the same area so they may just sound alike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1970: The Alternative Funhouse   1970: The Alternative Funhouse Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1970: The Alternative Funhouse
Page 1 of 1