Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"

Go down 
+22
MJG196
Borntohula
Paul T
trailerborn
kaiserken
jpod
TED
larry fine
Rob Gallucci
G, F#, E
Nitebob
Aku
Donald
Gimme some skin
adams66
Nadja
J.N
homesickjameswilliamson
popmansam
Loose1969
world's forgotten boy
gazatthebop
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
gazatthebop

gazatthebop

Number of posts : 417
Registration date : 2009-06-02

LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" Empty
PostSubject: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 1:52 am

Cannot find a mention of the Stooges track "You better run" which was recorded in 2004 and released on "Sunday Nights: The Songs Of Junior Kimbrough" in 2005 the cd features two versions of the track and is available on iTunes
Back to top Go down
world's forgotten boy

world's forgotten boy

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2008-04-12

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 3:59 am

Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 5:38 am

WOW! A NEW Stooges song! Well, to these ears anyway. Thanks for posting.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
popmansam

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2007-12-06

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 6:25 am

Yeah, I think Its maybe one of their worst.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 6:43 am

Loose1969 wrote:
WOW! A NEW Stooges song! Well, to these ears anyway. Thanks for posting.

Really? damn, if i'd known that i would have told you about it

i think they're great songs, great work from Ron, i think a lot of people were hoping weirdness would soung like this
Back to top Go down
J.N

J.N

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 11:18 am

It does exist two versions of it too. Not too good, not too bad in my humble opinion.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUoTKokB3DQ10lxKmXL7WbA/videos?
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 11:53 am

I hadn't heard this before either, didn't even know about it.
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 1:06 pm

Whatever your views on the quality of the song itself - personally i think it's great - you have to admit that both versions sound terrific, a really full, powerful sound from the Stooges. THIS is indeed what I hoped The Weirdness would have sounded like - it would have been a far more enjoyable album...
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 1:35 pm

I'd like to hear both versions. What I've heard on here doesn't sound much different to most of The Weirdness. Quite good sound, but not terribly inspired.
Back to top Go down
J.N

J.N

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 1:42 pm

Both versions are on iTunes. I dont remember if the first 30 secs are that much diffrents, but atleast 30 sec are for free there Smile
Back to top Go down
Gimme some skin

Number of posts : 349
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 3:20 pm

Hadn't heard this before either. I think it's a pretty good track.
Back to top Go down
popmansam

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2007-12-06

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 4:42 pm

Yeah, nothing better then hearing some old guy talking about raping some young girl. Maybe if you could delete the vocals.
Back to top Go down
J.N

J.N

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 4:43 pm

popmansam wrote:
Yeah, nothing better then hearing some old guy talking about raping some young girl. Maybe if you could delete the vocals.

Agree on that one...
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 4:46 pm

yeh, the lyrics are worse than anything on The Weirdness.
Back to top Go down
Donald

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2007-11-22

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 4:50 pm

It's hard to believe anyone missed these considering they were new Stooges recordings but they are both great. If only the Weirdness had sounded half this good. Actually Sunday Nights is a pretty good album altogether. There's even a Whitey Kirst track on it for those of you that like him.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 5:08 pm

yeh sunday nights is a good album

i think theyre funny songs, "i said a rape, baby rape"

its a covers album of junior kimbrough songs, and i think the second, slower versions quite accurate
Back to top Go down
Gimme some skin

Number of posts : 349
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 5:16 pm

J.N wrote:
popmansam wrote:

Agree on that one...

Disagree. Sounds like a load of crap to me. He's supposed to sing about knitting a sweater now?
Back to top Go down
Aku

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 5:50 pm

Some info about the song:
You Better Run,

The song was written by a great late blues legend Junior Kimbrough, He was black, fat, old blues badass from Missisippi, Iggy was a huge fan of Junior's music and he even used to tour the states with Junior. You can find the orginal version on Junior Kimbrough's album "All Night Long" - the orginal version is lot slower..but really dirty. In fact I like the orginal version lot more...

"You Better Run" was the the first Stooges song to feature Mike Watt,
The song is all so available on the Fat Possum blues collection "Not The Same Old Blues Crap. Check out : fatpossum.com - for information.

Iggy appears in the Fat Possum documentary movie called " You See Me Laughin - The Last of The Hillycountry Blues Men" with Junior Kimbrough.

There's a great quotes from Iggy on that film: " He (junior) used to joke a lot, He said to me: "Boy, How long have you been in the music biz ?" I said "Oh, 30 years!" Junior laughed at me and said " boy , that's nothing"

Junior was 75 years old and he started playing the blues when he was 5 years old... The lyrics on the song are really dirty and funny" but Junior was really dirty, sleazy hard drinking blues guy himself..he died of heart failure due to his drinkin...

Another quote from Iggy in the film: - "At one point he (Junior) said to me, when we get to Chicago, I'm gonna get me some pussy, and I can get some pussy for you too..!"
Bono from U2 appears in the film too, Bono was Junior Kimbrough fan too but he says that Kimbrough scared him:

Quote from Bono: " He (Junior) was singin " I'm gonna rape you, I know that's what you want" ..and all of a sudden I thought, Oh my god - what am I doing here, This guy means business! Junior didn't know who I was, so they tried to tell him " Hey Junior, This is Bono from U2, ...and Junior just laughed at me and said U2 - Me-2 Hahhah and walked away...I might be a big shot in some college but in Juniors eyes, I wasn't worth a drink"

Junior used to call Iggy with a nickname "Lollipop." too
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 5:56 pm

great information Aku, thanks alot, very funny, just shows how cool Junior is, finally someone who just walks away from bono lol
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 6:01 pm

Lots of information, thank you.
I don't know how I missed out on it before but then my ignorance is pretty astonishing sometimes!
don't think I'll ever love this song but it's ok.
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

gazatthebop

Number of posts : 417
Registration date : 2009-06-02

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 6:21 pm

The Cd "Not the same old blues crap" is vol3 and only contains the shorter and faster version, not both.
Back to top Go down
Aku

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 8:52 pm

I know that lyrics in "You better Run" are rather sick, but I think Junior meant it as joke...anyway, If you wanna hear Junior Kimbrough's music, Do yourself a favour:
This is great, primitive, ass kicking blues record, I bought it and I love it:
The Junior Kimbrough "greatest hits" collection...Check out the link:

http://www.amazon.com/You-Better-Run-Essential-Kimbrough/dp/B00006AWM0

Quote:

" The best epitaph for this blues hell-raiser, whose decades of bootlegging, boozing, and womanizing seemed to catch up with him in his final years !"
Back to top Go down
Aku

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 8:57 pm

Here's a link, to give you some idea about the guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MhPxRbgXkY&feature=related
Back to top Go down
Nitebob

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 9:53 pm

Junior was a special guest on Tggy's 1996 tour.

nitebob
Back to top Go down
Nitebob

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 9:55 pm

OOps that was the 1996 Iggy tour

nb
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next