Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"

Go down 
+22
MJG196
Borntohula
Paul T
trailerborn
kaiserken
jpod
TED
larry fine
Rob Gallucci
G, F#, E
Nitebob
Aku
Donald
Gimme some skin
adams66
Nadja
J.N
homesickjameswilliamson
popmansam
Loose1969
world's forgotten boy
gazatthebop
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
MJG196

MJG196

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2007-02-26

LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 10:56 pm

Aku wrote:
Quote from Bono: " He (Junior) was singin " I'm gonna rape you, I know that's what you want" ..and all of a sudden I thought, Oh my god - what am I doing here, This guy means business! Junior didn't know who I was, so they tried to tell him " Hey Junior, This is Bono from U2, ...and Junior just laughed at me and said U2 - Me-2 Hahhah and walked away...I might be a big shot in some college but in Juniors eyes, I wasn't worth a drink"

Bono = douche
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 11:41 pm

I like U2, but Bono is one of those guys who hasn't learned the fine art of shutting the fuck up. Laughing

Last edited by Loose1969 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 1:17 am

haha, well said Loose!
Back to top Go down
Aku

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 11:31 am

Loose1969 wrote:
I like U2, but Bono is one of those guys who hasn't learned the fine art of shutting the fuck up. Laughing

hah hah... I agree, and Junior Kimbrough had " I don't give shit" attitude in his life, so I think that's one of the reasons why Iggy liked him so much, Junior didnt care if you were rockstar or not, - he just wanted to play the blues. He didn't care about fame or fortune.

Here's a great article on Kimbrough: ( it says that he was 67, hmm..I thought he was in his 70's, oh well..)

http://www.furious.com/perfect/juniorkimbrough.html

This quote made me smile:

When he spoke, which he did not do often, he was quiet and "dreamy" as one of his ex-sidemen put it. When he saw something amusing, like two of his women arguing for instance, he chuckled quietly to himself. He was fond of flipping his middle finger at people for no reason.
Back to top Go down
Aku

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 4:40 pm

Junior Kimbrough

LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" - Page 3 Junior
Back to top Go down
trailerborn

trailerborn

Number of posts : 411
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 8:21 pm

Great pic!
Looks like Junior just wolfed down a few emo kids.
Back to top Go down
Paul T

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-03-23

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 11:30 am

I just found an old tyravelogue I did or the Independent on Mississippi. The writing is pretty embarrassing but I didn't have time to change it and it gives you an idea of the place.

What I didn't mentioend is that often you would go to his jukejoint and find he was away. There would be a load of parked, rickety old cars, with kids and farmers cradling cans of beer - the friend I was with got freaked out, cos they were all black, in the middle of nowhere, and they didn't really get stragners but of course they were all sweet hearts

One hour 's drive out of Memphis along Highway 78 I hit the small town of Holly Springs. Jr Kimbrough's Juke Joint is 10 miles out of town on Highway Four, which winds through an eerie hilly landscape punctuated by distorted tree stumps. The kudzu vine, introduced into the region to feed cattle, has over the years strangled every tree in its path, and in the dusty twilight its victims create a bizarre prehistoric skyline, seemingly populated by sinister green figures. In the dead quiet of the countryside, the Milky Way dazzlingly clear overhead, it's a spooky drive until you come across 40 or 50 cars pulled up at the side of the road. Here, almost literally in the middle of nowhere, there are no lights visible at all beyond the glow from the front door of a wood and corrugated iron shack. Crunching through the gravel towards the club, I can hear a musical beat over the lazy chirruping of the cicadas, walk to the shack, and hand over two dollars to a mute doorwoman.

Once inside it feels like I'm in a psychedelic church, garishly-painted wooden pillars separating off 'cloisters' on either side, which house ancient disembowelled sofas. I sink into one, chatting to a 16-year old couple nursing a pint of gin. Over the cloisters, where you'd find the Positions Of The Cross in a Roman Catholic church, is a series of oil paintings modelled on Ebony covers, while the gaudy glittered red and blue paint contrasts with a plain concrete floor and a huge dusty fan at the back of the room.

The club's proprietor, Jr Kimbrough, is the finest Blues artist to be discovered in the last two decades, his music a strange throwback to the Forties or Fifties. A sturdy man in his sixties, he takes his position in a small nook within one of the cloisters, and starts to play a slow Blues to the enthusiastic whoops of a packed crowd. His music is basic, reminiscent of John Lee Hooker in the use of one chord per song, its format a powerful reminder of the music's African origins. Song blends hypnotically into song, as the audience literally scream their approval. Jr's call and response lyrics evoke the lute playing of an Arabic muezzin, but there are echoes of Indian ragas, old Irish folk songs, or even ZZ Top. It's supremely moving, and makes it obvious why many who've been here talk about it in reverent tones for months afterwards.

Kimbrough might be in his sixties, but his club is no historical artefact, for Holly Springs' teenagers would as rather listen to him as Snoop Doggy Dogg or Jodeci. Kimbrough's music, his audience, and his club represent the best possible reminder of the unique blend of cultures that make up the United States. It's an experience that betters my memories of seeing Prince or Oasis in a small club, and one that reminds of Charlie Parker's dictum: 'I can definitely say that the music won't stop. It will go forward.'
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 6:22 pm

great article, thanks for posting paul

is the jukejoint still open?
Back to top Go down
osterbergermeister

osterbergermeister

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2007-03-08

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 8:24 pm

When this originally came cout, there was yet another (third) version on I-Tunes-only. It was just Iggy singing along to an acoustic guitar. I never heard it and it long ago disappeared.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 8:26 pm

osterbergermeister wrote:
When this originally came cout, there was yet another (third) version on I-Tunes-only. It was just Iggy singing along to an acoustic guitar. I never heard it and it long ago disappeared.

really? i think i remembering hearing something about that, never heard the actual track, is it US or UK iTunes?
Back to top Go down
Shakes

Shakes

Number of posts : 483
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 10:49 pm

i mentioned about this somewhere before in another thread. it was an itunes u.s. exclusive. (maybe u.k. as well?)

i wouldn't be able to share it due to the drm / re-encoding , which would mean lesser quality.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 11:17 pm

just searched spotify and itunes, didnt check itunes us, but itunes uk doesnt have it

hope to hear it someday, is it good?
Back to top Go down
Nervousnorvus

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-12-20

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 2:47 pm

Both versions of You Better Run can be found for free download or streaming on this page:
http://thehoundblog.blogspot.com/search?q=stooges+you+better+run

look for the highlighted words "here" and "here".
Back to top Go down
http://thehoundblog.blogspot.com/
ohmygawd

ohmygawd

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 6:15 pm

something of the best I've heard from the "new" stooges! and yes, I like the lyrics.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"   LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN" - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LOST TRACK "YOU BETTER RUN"
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3