Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Iggy does new Swiftcover ad (now with puppet double!)

Go down 
+5
Natalie
Petrie Terrace
studioguy
G, F#, E
sweet_sixteen
9 posters
AuthorMessage
sweet_sixteen

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Iggy does new Swiftcover ad (now with puppet double!) Empty
PostSubject: Iggy does new Swiftcover ad (now with puppet double!)   Iggy does new Swiftcover ad (now with puppet double!) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 2:46 am

http://www.nme.com/news/iggy-pop/49065

A guy his age has to think about retirement I guess...
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Iggy does new Swiftcover ad (now with puppet double!)   Iggy does new Swiftcover ad (now with puppet double!) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 10:24 pm

Oh god, now it's trying to be funny that makes me cringe even more. Laughing
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

Number of posts : 840
Registration date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Iggy does new Swiftcover ad (now with puppet double!)   Iggy does new Swiftcover ad (now with puppet double!) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 12:16 am

G, F#, E wrote:
Oh god, now it's trying to be funny that makes me cringe even more. Laughing

I think he needs to to take "Little Iggy" on tour as a stunt double
Back to top Go down
http://belowgroundsound.com
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"
Petrie Terrace

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Iggy does new Swiftcover ad (now with puppet double!)   Iggy does new Swiftcover ad (now with puppet double!) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 2:16 am

Just ran that article through Google's online "Media-speak to plain English" translation service, Rory.

Came back with this ...

"Despite Pop previously calling his appearance in the 2009 advert "embarrassing", Swiftcover.com's marketing director Tina Shortle said he was still keen to work with the company on their 2010 campaign."

Having noticed how many people called his appearance in the 2009 advert "embarrassing", Iggy thought he'd better say the same, Swiftcover.com's marketing director Tina Shortle said she'd had to offer Iggy way more cash than expected to get him back for their 2010 campaign.

"Iggy loved the fact that last year's campaign stirred up a lot of emotion, so this year we've played on the controversy with even more irreverent humour," she said."

Iggy's loved the fact that last years campaign got his name mentioned a lot of places, so this year we're playing it safe and repeating the formula, but this time we wanted to appear "in on the joke", so we're claiming there's some kind of "ironic" intent behind this one, and just incase you're too stupid to work that out for yourself, we've added a puppet as a visual aid.

"The introduction of 'Little Iggy' allowed Iggy to play against type and become the chilled-out, golf-playing rock star whilst 'Little Iggy' causes havoc."

The introduction of "Little Iggy" allows Iggy to play to type as the chilled out golf-playing rock star he is, as he worries that he may have inadvertently looked a little foolish in the last one, whilst "Little Iggy" and the metal soundtrack will hopefully appeal to his simple-minded stoner/frat-boy fan base.

"Get a life, get Swiftcover"

Get a life, face up to the fact that the idol of your youth would blow a wino for the loose change in his cup.
Back to top Go down
sweet_sixteen

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Iggy does new Swiftcover ad (now with puppet double!)   Iggy does new Swiftcover ad (now with puppet double!) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 3:53 am

Petrie Terrace wrote:

"Get a life, get Swiftcover"

Get a life, face up to the fact that the idol of your youth would blow a wino for the loose change in his cup.

Ouch, painful but probably true, realistically speaking, how manyy more years of touring does Iggy have left in him 1-2 max? Maybe more if he slows it down and becomes more of Rod Stewart style crooner a la Preliminaires. Either way the cash flow is going to dramatically shrink rather soon. But when you're a 62 year old Iggy Pop still being held to the craziness of your 20s and 30s its a lot to compete with and can often times become an unintentional self-parody, except now it seems like he's contnent with it being an intentional one...
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

Number of posts : 840
Registration date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Iggy does new Swiftcover ad (now with puppet double!)   Iggy does new Swiftcover ad (now with puppet double!) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 4:36 am

Petrie Terrace wrote:

This is also Rock music, not "serious" art. It's supposed to be fun, not Van Gogh cut your ear off or starve to death for your "art"

Why is it wrong for Iggy to make some money off of his celeb status? Lord knows the record execs in the '70's made their money off the Stooges and left them for dead when they didn't fit in with their "concept". Iggy and the Stooges should make everything they can while they can, they earned it.
Back to top Go down
http://belowgroundsound.com
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Iggy does new Swiftcover ad (now with puppet double!)   Iggy does new Swiftcover ad (now with puppet double!) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 4:38 am

Intentional self - parody, my ass. Travesty is more like it.

I have known him for a very long time and I can not believe it has come to this!
Back to top Go down
trailerborn

trailerborn

Number of posts : 411
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Iggy does new Swiftcover ad (now with puppet double!)   Iggy does new Swiftcover ad (now with puppet double!) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 7:17 am

Travesty of a mockery of a sham.
I'ts akin to watching Alice Cooper on The Muppets Show or B. B. King hawk McDonald's. ("Whats that Lucille? McChicken?!")
Glad I'm not seeing it as a teenager.
Back to top Go down
runningfromthepain

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Iggy does new Swiftcover ad (now with puppet double!)   Iggy does new Swiftcover ad (now with puppet double!) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 2:36 pm

whatever anybody thinks he is still the best performer ive ever seen and thats more important than some silly advert
Back to top Go down
TED
A funhouse boy will steal your heart away
TED

Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Iggy does new Swiftcover ad (now with puppet double!)   Iggy does new Swiftcover ad (now with puppet double!) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 3:13 pm

I like it and I enjoy seeing his face on the television. Iggy does new Swiftcover ad (now with puppet double!) Peeing-man
Back to top Go down
Garageman

Garageman

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2008-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Iggy does new Swiftcover ad (now with puppet double!)   Iggy does new Swiftcover ad (now with puppet double!) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 3:38 pm

It wasn't actually that bad. Iggy handled it well. I somehow don't mind him doing these ads, but I could never, ever imagine Ron ever have done anything like this.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Iggy does new Swiftcover ad (now with puppet double!)   Iggy does new Swiftcover ad (now with puppet double!) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 10:55 pm

Iggy does new Swiftcover ad (now with puppet double!) 910986 PAUL YOU WONDERFUL MAN!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Iggy does new Swiftcover ad (now with puppet double!)   Iggy does new Swiftcover ad (now with puppet double!) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Iggy does new Swiftcover ad (now with puppet double!)
Page 1 of 1