Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Sonic's Rendezvous Band

Go down 
+17
mc
homesickjameswilliamson
world's forgotten boy
mikel
mc5nrg
dtklamf
earthdog70
gabs
rubber legs
Barman
ZenDog
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
stdtheband
Katy
Borntohula
Colin Chaos
MJG196
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

Sonic's Rendezvous Band - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sonic's Rendezvous Band   Sonic's Rendezvous Band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 4:31 pm

mg196 wrote:
SRB-related news from Easyaction:

Gary Rasmussen's band from the late 60's to early 70's The Up gets the easy action treatment this summer with the complete audio recordings unseen film and a booklet to die for !

yay, should be good Up are cool

but like mc says, killer up aint great, but its good easyaction are doing this so bands like this, and SRB arent lost in time
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

Number of posts : 528
Registration date : 2009-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Sonic's Rendezvous Band   Sonic's Rendezvous Band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 6:33 am

So, after reading Robert Matheu account of things,
http://www.i94bar.com/ints/sonicsrendezvousband.html

and the Freddie Brooks account of the same things,
http://www.sonicsrendezvous.com/

how is one to feel about this material? After reading Freddie's account of things I kinda felt obligated to at least attempt to find a copy of Sweet Nothing. It took a lot of scouring the interweb, but I managed to find a like-new, used copy for a reasonable price. However, I couldn't find hide nor hair of the other SRB release from Mack Aborn Rhythmic Arts titled City Slang. Furthermore, I could only assume that the "upcoming 'American Boy' collection" that was supposed to be the third SRB release from MARA has never materialized. After listening to Sweet Nothing I found myself in a conundrum over whether or not to buy the SRB box set released by Easy Action. I mean considering that, according to Brooks, Fred's people disapproving of it and all. I felt a little funny doing it, but I went ahead and not only purchased the box set, but also the Second Chance 2 CD set from EA and the Alive Records release titled Live, Masonic Auditorium, Detroit, January 14, 1978. The Second Chance performance is included in part in the SRB box set, but the full performance is worth the money and also the sound is EQed a little differently. I think it sounds a little bit better than the box set, but that just my opinion. The Masonic Auditorium performance is included in the SRB box set from EA, but again the sound is a bit different. I hated to do it with all the bad blood over these releases, but I had to hear these tunes. If Fred's people ever decide to release these tunes in some sort of "officially sanctioned" box set I will gladly buy it. However, if Sweet Nothing is the extent of "official" material that I will ever be able to obtain then I can't apologize for buying the EA and Alive stuff.
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: Sonic's Rendezvous Band   Sonic's Rendezvous Band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 6:43 am

JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES wrote:
I have bootlegs of iggys shows with the sonic's

they are -

Helsinki 78.
Orebro 78.
Stockholm 78.
London Music Machine 78.

I Also have on Cassette somewhere, 2 more witch are.

Tolouse 78.
and
Copenhagen 78.

Cheers.

Hey buuuddy. I would really love to hear those performances of Iggy with SRB.
Back to top Go down
dynamite boogie

dynamite boogie

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2007-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Sonic's Rendezvous Band   Sonic's Rendezvous Band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 6:48 am

i posted this on another thread elsewhere but can't find it so here it is again http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=62321546&blogId=185135187
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/redelektra69
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: Sonic's Rendezvous Band   Sonic's Rendezvous Band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 7:14 am

dynamite boogie wrote:
i posted this on another thread elsewhere but can't find it so here it is again http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=62321546&blogId=185135187

Thanks dynamite, I appreciate you posting that link again. I hadn't ever seen that post from Gary before, but I guess that alleviates my apprehension about the EA releases. After all there is so very little material in existence of any of SRB's live performances and almost no studio and/or basement recordings. With that in mind you would have a hard time listening to these CD's and concluding that this music should not have been released. To have allowed this great music to have disappeared into history and never been heard again would have been a crime against humanity.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horse 77

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Sonic's Rendezvous Band   Sonic's Rendezvous Band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 7:22 pm

Any news on American Boy?
Back to top Go down
jonachan

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2010-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Sonic's Rendezvous Band   Sonic's Rendezvous Band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 4:42 am

Upon on Dime, there are a couple of the shows (from Scandinavia) w/ Iggy, Sonic, Asheton, etc. up on Dime. Kind of a super-group, and, aside from the Stooges (and imo), the best band Iggy played with. even if you arenot generally into bootlegs, the shows are worth d/ling if only to hear Fred "Sonic" Smith play on songs like Penetration and TV Eve...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sonic's Rendezvous Band   Sonic's Rendezvous Band - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sonic's Rendezvous Band
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2