Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston

Go down 
+13
mc
G, F#, E
stooge
tompa67
popmansam
Natalie
Dark Horse 77
TeddyB1018
citizensmurf
runningfromthepain
MJG196
studioguy
ElRoi
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
ElRoi

ElRoi

Number of posts : 528
Registration date : 2009-09-10

European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston Empty
PostSubject: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 5:49 am

This is a Holiday Challenge for all you restoration wizards out there.

First off, I am posting this here rather than in the Bootlegs section because this section of the forum seems to get the most traffic. So, please bare with me on this one heavy liquid.

There are two known live recordings of Iggy Pop's 1978 European tour that featured Sonic's Rendezvous Band (minus Scott Morgan) with Scott Thurston on piano that are on a 2 CD bootleg titled "European Rendezvous 1978." Disc 1 is from a May 5th performance at Brunnsparken in Orebro, Sweden and Disc 2 is from a June 13th performance at The Music Machine in London, England. For anyone who has listened to these recordings, you know that the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired. Not only are the vocals low in the mix, but it seems that parts (if not all) of Disc 2 is not running at the correct speed. Iggy's voice seems unusually high pitched. However, you also know that the performances from these two shows were blistering. It is not only a crying shame that these two incredible shows weren't properly recorded, but that the entire tour wasn't recorded. Aside form the Stooges, this is probably one of the most kick ass bands with which Iggy ever played.

So, the challenge is for some of you aspiring Phil Spector, George Martin or Rick Rubin types to take these tracks and use your best audio restoration wizard skills to breath new life into them for the sake of not only us Iggy/Stooges/SRB fans, but the entire Rock 'N' Roll world. If you don't already have these tracks I have posted both discs at megauploads.com. You don't have to be registered or anything to download stuff from there. The RAR (ZIP) files are not very large, so it want take you all day to download them. I will post the links in the bootleg section of the forum. If someone, anyone fancy's themselves an audio restoration wizard PLEASE work your magic on these tracks.

Last edited by ElRoi on Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

Number of posts : 840
Registration date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 6:27 am

ElRoi wrote:
This is a Holiday Challenge for all you restoration wizards out there.

First off, I am posting this here rather than in the Bootlegs section because this section of the forum seems to get the most traffic. So, please bare with me on this one heavy liquid.

There are two known live recordings of Iggy Pop's 1978 European tour that featured Sonic's Rendezvous Band (minus Scott Morgan) with Scott Thurston on piano that are on a 2 CD bootleg titled "European Rendezvous 1978." Disc 1 is from a May 5th performance at Brunnsparken in Orebro, Sweden and Disc 2 is from a June 13th performance at The Music Machine in London, England. For anyone who has listened to these recordings, you know that the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired. Not only are the vocals low in the mix, but it seems that parts (if not all) of Disc 2 is not running at the correct speed. Iggy's voice seems unusually high pitched. However, you also know that the performances from these two shows were blistering. It is not only a crying shame that these two incredible shows weren't properly recorded, but that the entire tour wasn't recorded. Aside form the Stooges, this is probably one of the most kick ass bands with which Iggy ever played.

So, the challenge is for some of you aspiring Phil Spector, George Martin or Rick Rubin types to take these tracks and use your best audio restoration wizard skills to breath new life into them for the sake of not only us Iggy/Stooges/SRB fans, but the entire Rock 'N' Roll world. If you don't already have these tracks I have posted both discs at megauploads.com. You don't have to be registered or anything to download stuff from there. The RAR (ZIP) files are not very large, so it want take you all day to download them. I will post the links in the bootleg section of the forum. If someone, anyone fancy's themselves an audio restoration wizard PLEASE work your magic on these tracks.

I'll give it a shot, It's pretty rough
Back to top Go down
http://belowgroundsound.com
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 7:28 am

Anything you could do would be an improvement. Really my biggest concern is that it be playing at the correct speed. I can handle the low-fi sound quality, but when it is completely off speed causing Iggy's voice to be pitched up (or down), the tunes being in the wrong key and the drums at the wrong tempo its just intolerable. You would be doing a great service to not only Stooges fans, but all the music world. Please see what you can do. Thanks for your participation.
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 10:44 am

ElRoi wrote:
Anything you could do would be an improvement. Really my biggest concern is that it be playing at the correct speed. I can handle the low-fi sound quality, but when it is completely off speed causing Iggy's voice to be pitched up (or down), the tunes being in the wrong key and the drums at the wrong tempo its just intolerable. You would be doing a great service to not only Stooges fans, but all the music world. Please see what you can do. Thanks for your participation.

Rough estimate is that both discs are 12% fast
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 12:30 pm

I would get this on Dimeadozen.org and have the guy who "mastered" the Stooges/MC5 Soldier Field show take a look at it. Check out the Soldier Field thread where I posted the torrent info. Dime is full of guys who do this stuff as a VERY serious hobby.
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
runningfromthepain

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-08-13

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 2:28 am

i got european rendezvous and also another cd from that tour entitled "still insane" . this is a single cd from the music machine with a different tracklisting as follows
penetration
kill city
endless sea
girls
lust for life
gimme danger
tv eye
dirt
i wanna be your dog
one for my baby
funtime
iggy croons
i got a right

i was at that gig as a matter of interest
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 4:19 am

Let me know if I'm in the ball park with this

Kill City from disc 2
Kill City
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 6:33 am

runningfromthepain wrote:
i got european rendezvous and also another cd from that tour entitled "still insane" . this is a single cd from the music machine with a different tracklisting as follows
penetration
kill city
endless sea
girls
lust for life
gimme danger
tv eye
dirt
i wanna be your dog
one for my baby
funtime
iggy croons
i got a right

i was at that gig as a matter of interest

Any possibility you might be persuaded to share these gems with some deserving Stooges fans?
Back to top Go down
citizensmurf

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 7:53 am

Dirt lists these on his site, not sure how widely these trade though:

10.05.78 Vitrolles ,salle des fêtes 64 mins 7+
16.05.78 Badalona, Pabellon del Juventud 37 mins. 8
22.05.78 Helsinki, Kultuurialo 61 mins. 8+
24.05.78 Stockholm, Domino 55 mins. 7
24.05.78 Stockholm, Domino 66 mins.
25.05.78 Oslo, Chateau Neuf 60 mins. 7
27.05.78 Ørebro, Brunsparken (including soundcheck) 30 mins. 8-/8+
29.05.78 Copenhagen, Det Ny Theater* 60 mins. 8
13.06.78 London, Music Machine 66mins. 8+

Easy Action put the Stockholm show in the Faces Shine box, though I haven't heard any of these, seems like the quality isn't too bad (compared to Stooges bootlegs).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 11:05 am

@studioguy,

first thanks for your effort with Kill City, but there is a very annoying 15khz tone on it, can
be easily removed and there is a phase defect that needs to be corrected. I will try it when
ElRoi sends me some files via ICQ Smile
Back to top Go down
runningfromthepain

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-08-13

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 11:53 am

just checked "still insane" by comparing penetration and kill city to the versions on european rendezvous. it appears i already have the job done reference the discussed possibilities of remixing european rendezvous.
the quality of still insane is much better
as a matter of interest still insane starts with the band introduction of gary rasmussenn , scott thurston etc before kicking into penetration.
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 9:06 pm

runningfromthepain wrote:
just checked "still insane" by comparing penetration and kill city to the versions on european rendezvous. it appears i already have the job done reference the discussed possibilities of remixing european rendezvous.
the quality of still insane is much better
as a matter of interest still insane starts with the band introduction of gary rasmussenn , scott thurston etc before kicking into penetration.

So, are you saying that the version of European Rendesvous is of a better quality than the one that's post5ed on dimeadozen? If so, is there any possibility that you could FLAC both European Rendezvous and Still Insane and post them on one of the download sites?
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 9:07 pm

OUTBURST wrote:
@studioguy,

first thanks for your effort with Kill City, but there is a very annoying 15khz tone on it, can
be easily removed and there is a phase defect that needs to be corrected. I will try it when
ElRoi sends me some files via ICQ Smile

Hey buddy, check the bootlegs section for the links to the files I uploaded to megauploads.
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 9:49 pm

studioguy wrote:

Kill City from disc 2
Kill City

The speed sounds must closer to to reality (if not dead on) and the EQing is a definite improvement. Keep working with those tracks. OUTBURST has thrown down the gauntlet. He is determined to win the Holiday Challenge and show the Stooges world that HE is the true Audio Restoration Master.
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 10:43 pm

ElRoi wrote:
studioguy wrote:

Kill City from disc 2
Kill City

The speed sounds must closer to to reality (if not dead on) and the EQing is a definite improvement. Keep working with those tracks. OUTBURST has thrown down the gauntlet. He is determined to win the Holiday Challenge and show the Stooges world that HE is the true Audio Restoration Master.

I'm always up for a challenge! I mostly record bands in studio and haven't done much restoration, so this will be fun!

I played guitar along with the slowed down tracks, I think I'm real close with that.
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 11:09 pm

studioguy wrote:
ElRoi wrote:
studioguy wrote:

Kill City from disc 2
Kill City

I'm always up for a challenge! I mostly record bands in studio and haven't done much restoration, so this will be fun!

I played guitar along with the slowed down tracks, I think I'm real close with that.

Great to hear that you are up for a challenge. OUTBURST is out for the evening so you have a head start. I'm sure whoever does the best job will garner much praise from the Stooges and SRB community. Too bad the source tapes aren't available. Possibly if you do a superior job the person who has the original tapes will contact you and offer to have you do a full fledged restoration and have them released. Who knows. Anyway I can't wait to hear what you do with them.
Back to top Go down
TeddyB1018

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-07-06

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 8:50 am

How do these compare with the Easy Action version of the Stockholm show?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 12:00 pm

Cool it, Elroi Very Happy

But Studioguy, you said your soundfile you posted was from disc2, it is the Kill City version
from disc one. I noticed it too late and now I re-worked both Kill City versions. I also slowed
them 12% down, seems to be correct indeed.

Anyway, here we go

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UNJWJNKO for disc one version
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P2VBH2AM disc two..

Hello
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 9:22 pm

OUTBURST wrote:

But Studioguy, you said your soundfile you posted was from disc2, it is the Kill City version
from disc one. I noticed it too late and now I re-worked both Kill City versions. I also slowed

Anyway, here we go

Hello

I'm liking Outbursts mix, my try 2 has more high end

Ok, here is try #2 , slowed 12%

Reaper DAW, included EQ, low shelf 130hz, big boost 3k, big narrow cut 11k then BBE Sonic Max

Ozone 3 on the outputs 192 mp3

Kill City
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 9:38 pm

OUTBURST wrote:

Anyway, here we go

Hello

Disc One version is a massive improvement over the original
Disc Two version "The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable."
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 9:39 pm

[quote="studioguy"]
OUTBURST wrote:

Reaper DAW, included EQ, low shelf 130hz, big boost 3k, big narrow cut 11k then BBE Sonic Max

Kill City

"You want to download the following file:

http://rapidshare.com/files/326675135/kc2.mp3 | 5574 KB

This file can only be downloaded by becoming a Premium member"
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 9:53 pm

[quote="ElRoi"]
studioguy wrote:
OUTBURST wrote:

Kill City

"You want to download the following file:

http://rapidshare.com/files/326675135/kc2.mp3 | 5574 KB

This file can only be downloaded by becoming a Premium member"

This should work better

Kill City
Back to top Go down
Dark Horse 77

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-11-07

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 4:27 am

Great stuff.
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 7:43 am

Now, if we could just get both performances completely remastered by one of these audio wizards...oh,what a wonderful year this would be.
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 10:07 am

ElRoi wrote:
Now, if we could just get both performances completely remastered by one of these audio wizards...oh,what a wonderful year this would be.

This "Audio Wizard" has been recording bands for the last few days and can barely listen to any music at the moment!!. I hope to get to the re-master on Sat. It should be fun
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next