Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation

Go down 
+7
freemind
Stranger09
neven
Mr. FunBoy
mark
adams66
gazatthebop
11 posters
AuthorMessage
gazatthebop

gazatthebop

Number of posts : 417
Registration date : 2009-06-02

New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation Empty
PostSubject: New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation   New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 10:25 am

Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation   New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 11:08 am

Same old stuff, tracks from 1972 and 1973 all muddled up, with no thought whatsoever.
How many times has this material been reissued now, must be getting close to triple figures (seriously).
How I wish that someone, with access to the actual mastertapes, would issue this rehearsal material properly, with details of exactly when and where it was all recorded.
But no, we get umpteen rehashes with badly packaged discs, no sleevenotes, no info and the tracks simply lifted from previous releases without recourse to the genuine tapes.

I sound like a right old grump today... Thanks for the info gazathebop, and I'm not cross with you, but seeing this stuff issued again and again so poorly annoys me.

Cheers, or rather, Grrrrr,
Richard
Back to top Go down
mark

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation   New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 12:43 pm

Yep, with you on that one Richard. It's a shame the band aren't inclined to grab control of all this junk, although I suspect it would be an uphill battle.
Back to top Go down
Mr. FunBoy

Mr. FunBoy

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2009-12-20

PostSubject: Re: New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation   New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 4:02 pm

its almost the same as More Power

New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation 51i2rn10
Back to top Go down
http://HeavyLiquidVideos.yola.com
neven

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation   New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 5:03 pm

Yeah,I'm sick of those endless reissues too.
What about james going to bomp and remaster all the detroit rehearals for once and for all.
I mean he sold the tapes to bomp (and then his check bumped).
Anyone on facebook can mail him about this idea?
Back to top Go down
Stranger09

Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation   New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 10:24 pm

The James Williamson page I just saw on there - I almost went and did this! Smile - is an unofficial tribute page.

That said sure he is on there and some here are able to contact him, so hope they do...he's probably more than aware of the idea / request, but sometimes a little reminder doesn't go amiss.

He may have other priorities Sad but here's hoping....
Back to top Go down
freemind

freemind

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2009-03-09

PostSubject: Re: New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation   New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 3:18 pm

Always the same things.

I´d rather prefert a TRUE realease of Mettallic KO. Is that too much to ask?
Back to top Go down
Perdu

Perdu

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation   New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 8:11 am

A lot of the "new" old material comes courtesy of "He Who Can't Be Named." Devil
Back to top Go down
adams66

PostSubject: Re: New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation   New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 12:19 pm

Perdu wrote:
A lot of the "new" old material comes courtesy of "He Who Can't Be Named." Devil

Really?
Voldemort has access to old Stooges tapes? Get Harry Potter on the case straight away...

Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

gazatthebop

PostSubject: Re: New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation   New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 10:58 pm

i kinda like it that anyone can release a stooges cd...gives my dream of owning a record label more viability, but i dont often buy this kinda product. Wonder is its the 2010 overdubbed versions?
Back to top Go down
Stranger09

Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation   New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 2:44 am

freemind wrote:
Always the same things.

Well we've read some reasons / excuses (to be fair serious attempts have been made it seems) why that has yet to happen, on here...
Back to top Go down
ChuckN

ChuckN

Number of posts : 308
Registration date : 2009-10-29

PostSubject: Re: New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation   New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 7:13 pm

Stranger09 wrote:
freemind wrote:
Always the same things.

Well we've read some reasons / excuses (to be fair serious attempts have been made it seems) why that has yet to happen, on here...
We certainly have. When thinking of all the dirty business concerning the original release it's no wonder really.. If not for that greedy business , the tapes had been released years ago.
Back to top Go down
sizeable bulge

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2010-10-06

PostSubject: Re: New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation   New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 11:29 pm

[quote= Wonder if its the 2010 overdubbed versions?
[/quote]

While I refuse to listen to those overdubbed Stooges tracks, I will confess to a guilty pleasure in what they did with "I'm A
Man". They took a raw but compelling demo/rehearsal and turned it into a polished gem. Their overdubbing of bass and drums, while rather rudimentary, is damn near perfect! It really complements the voice and guitar. I always listen to this track when I listen to Kill City. I look at it philosophically. As far as I know. the horns on Kill City were overdubbed without Iggy's oversight, so how is this any different?

Has it ever been determined who the guitarist is on "I'm A Man" and the related tracks? Has Iggy ever been asked this?I'm absolutely convinced that they were recorded before Raw Power. You see snippets of bits that turned up later in the Raw Power era. On "I'm A Man" you hear "I'm Sick Of You" ( a Stooges track), " I like the way you walk" ( live versions of "I Need Somebody"), and his aside of "pussy" which turns up on "Penetration". On "Old King Live Forever" you hear "Pin Point Eyes". And "Look So Sweet" sounds reminiscent of both "Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell" and 'Hey, Peter". Supposedly Bomp acquired these tapes from James Williamson, so if its not him on guitar, why would he have these tapes in his possesion?
Back to top Go down
adams66

PostSubject: Re: New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation   New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 12:03 am

[/quote]

Supposedly Bomp acquired these tapes from James Williamson, so if its not him on guitar, why would he have these tapes in his possesion?[/quote]

Now that's a very good point! Why would James have tapes of someone else playing guitar with Iggy?

So many mysteries when it comes to old Stooges material...

Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
sizeable bulge

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2010-10-06

PostSubject: Re: New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation   New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 12:53 am

adams66 wrote:

Supposedly Bomp acquired these tapes from James Williamson, so if its not him on guitar, why would he have these tapes in his possesion?[/quote]

Now that's a very good point! Why would James have tapes of someone else playing guitar with Iggy?

So many mysteries when it comes to old Stooges material...

Cheers,
Richard[/quote]

The only thing I can figure is that Iggy gave the tapes to James to show him what he had been up to since the break up of the Stooges in 1971.
Back to top Go down
Damian.H

Damian.H

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2011-02-24

PostSubject: Re: New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation   New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 11:46 pm

Good point well put.....
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

gazatthebop

PostSubject: Re: New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation   New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 11:13 am

it is a shame metallic ko gets re-issued but no one is willing to expand it any further.
Some groan when another compilation comes out, but back in the 70's after Raw Power there was nothing for a long time, after Metallic/Kill City and I'm sick of you, again there was nothing for a long time. i remember those days...so i welcome anything that is released. It was hard being a Stooges fan when so few had heard of them, cool too as we knew something great others didn't. I dont have to buy these new releases, but i'm glad its out there and welcome the bands (Iggy's?) policy of sanctioning almost anything. Some young kid will buy it as his/her first taste and be hooked for life.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation   New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Iggy Pop and The Stooges compilation
Page 1 of 1