Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Did Scott Thurston really write the guitar to New Values ?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

Did Scott Thurston really write the guitar to New Values ? Empty
PostSubject: Did Scott Thurston really write the guitar to New Values ?   Did Scott Thurston really write the guitar to New Values ? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 12:08 am

hey, i have come to a interesting conclusion, that new values guitar parts must have been written actually by fred sonic smith. and not scotty thurston, because they were doing the songs in 78 when fred was on guitar, has anyone else thought of this ? I find it very interesting... scott thurston probley saw most of ther guitar parts when fred played them since scotty was on keyboards that tour.

PS- scotty made a bad ass guitar player Smile
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: Did Scott Thurston really write the guitar to New Values ?   Did Scott Thurston really write the guitar to New Values ? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 9:53 pm

where are you adams66 and PauLT
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Did Scott Thurston really write the guitar to New Values ?   Did Scott Thurston really write the guitar to New Values ? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 4:30 pm

Fred 'Sonic' Smith did that one tour with Iggy between 10th May and 13th June 1978, but the full band line-up was as follows -

Iggy Pop - vocals
Scott Asheton - drums
Gary Rasmussen - bass
Fred 'Sonic' Smith - guitar
Scott Thurston - guitar, keyboards

Prior to the tour Iggy and Scott Thurston wrote and demoed a lot of new material together - four brand new tracks were showcased on the tour - these songs wouldn’t appear on record until the release of New Values, more than a year later in the summer of 1979. It appears that despite the presence of old friends Fred Smith and Scott Asheton in the band, Iggy remained closest to Scott Thurston and Smith seems to have had little influence over the new material. Songs such as "The Endless Sea" and "Curiosity" are strongly keyboard, not guitar based, which points to Thurston's influence, but in any case, Thurston was an extremely good guitarist, as his work on the New Values album clearly proves.

The regular set list was as follows -

“Penetration”,
“TV Eye”,
“Kill City”,
“The Endless Sea”,
“Lust For Life”,
“Five Foot One”
“Curiosity”,
“Girls”,
“Beyond The Law”,
“Gimme Danger”,
“I Got A Right”,
“Dirt”,
“I Wanna Be Your Dog”,
“One For My Baby”,
“Cock In My Pocket”.

The new songs are especially interesting as they reveal works in progress. Both “The Endless Sea” and “Five Foot One” differ significantly from the final studio recordings and neither sounds entirely finished.

The tour also saw live premieres for a couple of tracks from the just released Kill City. “Penetration” made its live debut, as did the Frank Sinatra classic “One For My Baby”, which would become a live staple in Iggy’s shows over the next four years. “Little Doll” and “Funtime” were also sometimes played. The soundcheck from Brunnsparken has been bootlegged many times and the poor quality tape reveals a couple of little gems - “There Is A Place” and a creepy take on “Crawling King Snake”, neither of which, as far as I know, were played in concert.

Cheers,

Richard
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: Did Scott Thurston really write the guitar to New Values ?   Did Scott Thurston really write the guitar to New Values ? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 11:55 pm

Wow, thanks for the info's, Scott is a badass guitar player for sure too ! you played most of the guitar on the 78 tour scott or fred ? oh, and i've never heard the poor quality tape of brunsparken, only a quite good tape...

thanks for all your info's,
your knowledge is always appriciated Smile

Cheers
Back to top Go down
adams66

PostSubject: Re: Did Scott Thurston really write the guitar to New Values ?   Did Scott Thurston really write the guitar to New Values ? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 11:14 am

Must just be my copy of the Brunnsparken soundcheck - it's pretty bad. I've had it for years though...

Fred Smith was the lead guitar player on the spring 1978 tour. Scott Thurston played keyboards and also second guitar whenever needed.

This pretty much set up the pattern for all of Iggy's bands until 1990, with a keyboard player helping out on second guitar whenever required, or whenever the keyboards weren't needed.

Cheers,

Richard
Back to top Go down
EyeGee

EyeGee

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2007-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Did Scott Thurston really write the guitar to New Values ?   Did Scott Thurston really write the guitar to New Values ? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2008 11:11 pm

James Williamson oversaw the New Values production, so it's got to be his riffs there.

"There is a Place" is called "Place Called Detroit" and I believe it's a Fred Smith song.
Sonic felt Iggy was hogging the limelight, the tour was to be a meeting of equals.
Back to top Go down
adams66

PostSubject: Re: Did Scott Thurston really write the guitar to New Values ?   Did Scott Thurston really write the guitar to New Values ? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 10:36 am

Although James produced New Values he only plays guitar on one song - "Tell Me A Story" - the rest of the guitarwork is Scott Thurston alone.

Thanks for the info re "Place Called Detroit". I know that Fred Smith was unhappy during the tour as he felt sidelined - after all it was his band that Iggy was using, so you'd think Iggy would have allowed him to be a bit more equal. Fred apparently spent much of his spare time, and cash, on the phone to Patti Smith back in New York. Their relationship had only recently started and he really missed her.

Cheers,

Richard
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: Did Scott Thurston really write the guitar to New Values ?   Did Scott Thurston really write the guitar to New Values ? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 8:32 pm

Richard, the song williamson was on was actually " Don't Look Down "

Smile

cheers
Back to top Go down
adams66

PostSubject: Re: Did Scott Thurston really write the guitar to New Values ?   Did Scott Thurston really write the guitar to New Values ? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 9:52 am

I don't think so - he's credited with co-writing "Don't Look Down" but AFAIK plays only the guitar solo on "Tell Me A Story".
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: Did Scott Thurston really write the guitar to New Values ?   Did Scott Thurston really write the guitar to New Values ? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 1:06 am

hmm, it sounds like scott on that solo though don't you think ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did Scott Thurston really write the guitar to New Values ?   Did Scott Thurston really write the guitar to New Values ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Did Scott Thurston really write the guitar to New Values ?
Page 1 of 1