Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People?

Go down 
+3
dorianmode
Shakes
homesickjameswilliamson
7 posters
AuthorMessage
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People? Empty
PostSubject: Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People?   Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 12:23 am

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20081221/Stolen_Gear_081222/20081221?hub=CTVNewsAt11

Musical instrument thefts on the rise in Montreal

Updated Sun. Dec. 21 2008 9:53 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

While Montreal has a history of producing celebrated musical acts like Arcade Fire and Chromeo, lately, the city has become a hotspot for something less desirable: instrument thefts.

Among the growing list of victims is Canadian rock veterans April Wine, who have toured the world for four decades.

The band has been ripped off twice in Montreal: the first time, thieves made away with two of Breen Leboeuf's prized basses, including a rare acoustic instrument, from his car. And last year, thieves grabbed one of Brian Greenway's favourite guitars after a gig.

"I couldn't believe it was gone. I wasn't insured, none of my stuff was insured," he said, adding that he now insures all of his gear.

More recently, thieves in the city ripped off a truck stacked with gear belonging to punk godfather Iggy Pop and his backing band.

Several vintage guitars and amplifiers were stolen, including bassist Mike Watt's one-of-a-kind 1963 Gibson, which he had used for decades.

While Iggy Pop's stolen gear was appraised at tens of thousands of dollars, for many musicians, an instrument is a priceless tour companion that can inspire both creativity and impassioned performances.

Still, it's not just high-profile rockers who get ripped off. In fact, it's usually struggling musicians who are targeted, since they are forced to tour in small vans instead of busses and can't hire security to watch their gear after a gig.

Worse yet, up-and-comers often don't have the bankroll to immediately replace their instruments, making the loss even more pronounced.

Thieves grabbed a bunch of gear from Montreal hip-hop crew Loco Locass recently, stealing instruments, recording equipment and a computer.

"I started screaming when I saw this," said Chafik, one of the band's members. Not only did the thieves grab his bass, which was a high school gift from his mom, but they also walked away with a computer which contained all of the band's recordings.

Instrument thefts becoming increasingly common

For thieves, instruments are a boon. Not only do newer instruments have a strong resale value, but a well-built instrument only becomes more valuable with age.

For example, more than 28 people were pining to buy a vintage 1957 Gibson Les Paul recently listed on eBay. The price tag: US$112,500.

Plus, unlike stealing a sports car, a hot guitar is easy to hide and transport, meaning the chance of tracking down a piece of missing gear is slim. For these reasons, such reports seem to be on the upswing in many cities.

Some notable recent thefts include:

* In September 2008, a Rickenbacker guitar belonging to R.E.M. guitarist Peter Buck was stolen from the stage during a gig in Helsinki, Finland. Luckily, it was returned later that month.
* In July 2007, American indie group Deerhunter was robbed at gunpoint after a gig in Atlanta.
* In 2006, proto-grunge group Dinosaur Jr. was ripped off when thieves stole their touring van from a parking lot in Long Island City, N.Y.
* In late November, 2006, punk/metal singer Danzig's touring van was ripped off in Santa Cruz, Calif.
* In 1999, all of Sonic Youth's touring gear was stolen during a tour stop in Florida. Three custom guitars have since been recovered.
* During a 1995 tour, thieves took all of Radiohead's gear in Denver. The band was forced to borrow instruments from tour mates Soul Asylum and skipped the city on several subsequent tours.

it cant be that hard to have noticed its just ''the stooges'' now, i know everyone isnt nuts about them, or even like them, but the researcher obviously isnt great - what do you guys think, let them away with it and just curse them under your breath or do you think peopl should know to call them The Stooges by now?

thanks,
HJW
Back to top Go down
Shakes

Shakes

Number of posts : 483
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People?   Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 12:28 am

yes, it sucks, but iggy pop is more of a well known name to the mainstream than the stooges. either way they could of possibly written it, it would of looked bad.

- iggy pop and his backing band
- iggy pop's band, the stooges
- the stooges featuring iggy pop

etc.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People?   Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 12:38 am

spose you're right shakes, i always say, stooges are still gettin their name out, but are their not researchers or soemthing, altho maybe they just used the name ''iggy pop'' in the article for those who have no idea who he is like if they wrote ''More recently, thieves in the city ripped off a truck stacked with gear belonging to...the stooges" most people would be like who is that? dunno, just thought the stooges ame had made more penetration, no pun intended lol, than this
Back to top Go down
dorianmode

dorianmode

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People?   Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 11:13 am

Iggy Pop and his backing band?
That's just awful. NO EXCUSES. Mad
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People?   Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 11:39 am

dorianmode wrote:

You're right there are no excuses for this. Such laxity ought to be punished.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People?   Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 2:03 pm

Nadja wrote:
dorianmode wrote:

Such laxity ought to be punished.

Yeah lets burn the media scum! Laughing Whack
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People?   Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 8:05 pm

I mean it. I'm sick to death of such carelessness.
Ok, it's Christmas - maybe I should just forgive 'em Laughing

But sometimes I also think that The Stooges did themselves a disservice by calling themselves 'stooges'!! A lot of people can't seem to take them seriously as a result.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People?   Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 10:05 pm

Quote :

But sometimes I also think that The Stooges did themselves a disservice by calling themselves 'stooges'!! A lot of people can't seem to take them seriously as a result.

hah! never thought about that, but you're right, people might think they are literally iggy's stooges lol

but yeh, i thought the same as you guys, it is inexcusabe, maybe if its some random person writing a generalised article, in this case gear theft among many bands but surely the research department couldve checked that it was just 'the stooges' now - altho people still bill them as iggy and the stooges dont they? both my tickets are labelled iggy and the stooges, spose its just cause iggys a bigger name
Back to top Go down
dorianmode

dorianmode

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People?   Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 10:06 pm

Nadja wrote:

You have a point there.
And the worst of it is of course when you try googling 'the stooges' you get all The Three Stooges stuff!
'Iggy and the Stooges' seems to be the preferred term
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People?   Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2008 1:09 am

Nadja wrote:

I love the name though, its so self-depricating and different without being funny. You can't attatch a style to it unlike obvious punk names like "Black Flag" or obvious heavy metal names like "Iron Maiden". Its unique.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People?   Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2008 4:14 am

Quote :

I love the name though, its so self-depricating and different without being funny. You can't attatch a style to it unlike obvious punk names like "Black Flag" or obvious heavy metal names like "Iron Maiden". Its unique.

very true, thats why ive always liked it myself, always intrigued me, adn freaked out my friends who had no idea what they were or wat the music was or who they were, and hated the name cause it didnt give a clue to them!
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People?   Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2008 5:47 am

Yeah, but anyone who really likes Iggy know's his backing band is the stooges Wink
Back to top Go down
Gimme some skin

Number of posts : 349
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People?   Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2008 7:29 am

I take it up for the journalist in this case. It's after all also the profession I'm supposed to be in soon(any journalists on here want to hire me as an intern?!- sorry, opportunism) ... But a good article has to be written, choices have to be made and have to be made fast. In the context of the article, also considering it's not a music magazine(I assume), it seems fairly normal. You're supposedly not writing for music fans as such and need to be as intelligable as possible, writing for everyone to understand. The name Iggy Pop would ring a bell with a fair amount of people whereas the Stooges, well ... wouldn't. Of course we know better and people are unstoogeducated.

To me , I figure, The Stooges= Funhouse and Stooges line-up, Iggy and The Stooges= Raw Power line-up. But meh, there's no Dave Alexander around anymore so nothing's really exactly correct. On the Weirdness it says The Stooges but then at gigs it says Iggy and ... Go figure. On tv it mostly says 'Iggy Pop played tonight ... '

Also, again to me, when I hear 'stooge', first thing I think about is 'ASHETONS!' But that's because I learned bout the Stooges long before I learned my first word of English, heh.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People?   Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2008 10:34 am

The reporter should at least have mentioned the word 'Stooges', because as it stands it gives the impression that this is Iggy solo. And, to really get on my high horse about it Laughing what he's doing is perpetuating a misconception, which doesn't help official/proper recognition of The Stooges any.

And I personally really like the band name, 'The Stooges' myself. It's so different. And it is representative of the often self-deprecating approach of the band. I was just pointing out the kind of impression it may give to people who aren't in the know. That reporter should still have mentioned them though, dammit! Smile
Back to top Go down
dorianmode

dorianmode

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People?   Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2008 4:15 pm

JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES wrote:
Yeah, but anyone who really likes Iggy know's his backing band is the stooges Wink

The Stooges are NOT a backing band. Well perhaps during Raw Power era...? when the Ashetons were just 'hired employees'
This thing about correct labelling can go on for ever. I always wonder just why 'Iggy Stooge' became 'Iggy Pop'...I know it was meant to be in honour of a friend with the name, or something, but did he want to consciously differentiate himself from the rest of them? He was really no longer a Stooge?
come to think of it, he was the only one to actually call himself a Stooge, in 'Iggy Stooge'
so what is he now, 'Iggy Pop' or just 'Iggy' or what? Or Jim Osterberg or James or whatever Laughing
I don't think he ever reverted back to being officially 'Iggy Stooge' anyway
Ok, enough of this Smile
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People?   Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2008 5:57 pm

What I meant was, we all know the band they refer to as "backing" is the stooges... Wink
Back to top Go down
dorianmode

dorianmode

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People?   Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2008 8:35 pm

Yes...I've totally confused myself now Laughing
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People?   Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2008 10:07 pm

iggy hated, well the name ''iggy'' but he especailly hated that elektra or whomever printed ''iggy stooge'' i dont think he ever called himself that, maybe for a couple months or something back in 67 b4 the whole ''iggy pop'' thing came, but i remember reading he hated the name iggy stooge and didnt call himself it, dunno - though the guy on cincinnatti 70 says ''iggy stooge!'' so i dunno
Back to top Go down
dorianmode

dorianmode

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People?   Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 12:36 pm

Whatever.
I just naively went by what's written on the first album.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People?   Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 6:33 pm

Quote :

I just naively went by what's written on the first album.

i think most people did, i did for ages when i was reading the sleeve

bt apparently he hated that they printed it and, i think, maybe some one can correct me, but i think he never used it himself, or at least only for a little while
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People?   Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 12:45 am

Elektra basically forced Iggy to have the last name Stooge for the debut, there was no stage when he was called "Iggy Stooge". He was "Iggy Osterburg" then "Iggy Pop", Elektra printed his name properly on "Fun House" though.

The guy that wanted Iggy (and I believe all The Stooges) to have the last name Stooge later went on to manage The Ramones. Irony! Laughing

And The Stooges were never a backing band, even in 1974 Iggy called himself and the others The Stooges. On the 1973 part of "Metallic K.O." Iggy says: "Who here hates The Stooges? We don't hate you, we don't even care."

Iggy is just a much bigger name, in concert they have ALWAYS been The Stooges its just advertisers need something that will grab the widest attention from the public. Why is Iggy more famous? Two factors:
1. He is the sole focus on stage, he alone did all the crazy stunts.
2. The whole David Bowie connection.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People?   Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 3:17 am

totally agree with that G, great summation of the whole thing, and thanks for the correction about the iggy stooge thing

i would add a 3rd to why iggy is so famous - he's been around, through highs and lows and everything else, see OU&B lol - but he's been around for well 30 years on his own now

i think thats important, still would agree that alot of people just know him for a 30 yr old bowie connection
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People?   Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Equipment Stealing On Rise / How Dumb Are Some People?
Page 1 of 1