Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ron may be dead

Go down 
+59
sheddy
zenta138
the science eel
jimmyo
don_vercetti
popmansam
Paul T
Nadja
Borntohula
dorianmode
comaman
dtklamf
creep66
karimmaris
TeddyB1018
StoogesForever69
PSYCHEDELIC_STOOGE
StoogesMySpaceAdmin
Parry The Wind High, Low
23rd Express
B-rok
heavy liquid
sweet_sixteen
Gimme some skin
-E-
newyorkdoll
EmmaUK
dan b
the5thramone37
Chazz Avery
Iguanas
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Rode Hard
homesickjameswilliamson
Angusyd van Hyman
mc
world's forgotten boy
Lucas
neven
Katy
james matlock
Detoilet
pjpeanutz
seventeen
J.N
G, F#, E
soldier
david stooge
TED
Loose1969
berlinberlin
JW82
modernlover
iggy-fan
adams66
Donald
napalm_cheetah
spenny
cb
63 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Gimme some skin

Number of posts : 349
Registration date : 2007-03-10

Ron may be dead - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ron may be dead   Ron may be dead - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 5:28 am

People sympathize, some more or less fans, but mostly they're like 'Uhhh he's the guitarist you know, a dying guitarist can be replaced.' Ye ...

I woke up feeling pretty bad about it.

I first read it on Belgian teletext the other day. Didn't hear it on the news or anything. In the paper I'm subscribed to there's a small article, coming from Belga, which says exactly the same as the teletext message. I suppose it'll be the same shitty message in every paper. Today the message was already gone again. On the site of Humo, a magazine, there was a small message about it, and they put an old Iggy Pop interview back on.

Meh.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Ron may be dead   Ron may be dead - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 11:51 am

I certainly don't know anyone who even knows about the Stooges let alone like them, apart from on here of course. they've vaguely heard of Iggy Pop and that's it
Insupportable to think that we have to talk about Ron in the past tense now. It's bad enough having to do that with Dave, how can I do it with Ron? don't think I can handle it..just looking back over this forum...so much stuff I said about him

Cried my eyes out on Tuesday, didn't know what had happened then, had shut out everything and CERTAINLY didn't want to listen to any news ... thought it was just because of my own stupid situation, but I guess the feeling was there. Didn't want to do anything on Tuesday except listen to music - including the Stooges' first album - and as always that guitar comforted me. But I don't know how I'll listen now. How will I accept that the guy who created those sounds, those effects, that feeling, is no longer here, that no-one is ever going to produce those sounds here on earth again.

Of course we can celebrate everything he did, but he's a memory now.

The official statement from Scott and Iggy and Mike - got it so absolutely right. Of course they knew him best - and Scott and Kathy have lost a brother
'quirky', 'cool' - and most of all ... 'GUITAR GOD'.

Well, life does go on...and of course Iggy and Scott and Mike will go on ... but The Stooges can't, it's going to be all retrospective now for them
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Ron may be dead   Ron may be dead - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 12:30 pm

It's been amazing reading everyone's responses to this sad news, especially as some of us have clearly been so upset by the loss of Ron.
This site, unlike so many message boards and forums, seems entirely clear of spiteful and nasty posters.
Everyone here is wonderfully united in our love for the Stooges, and united in a collective sadness for Ron.

Richard
Back to top Go down
sheddy

sheddy

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: Ron may be dead   Ron may be dead - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 1:15 pm

Tragic news indeed.
Read it here yesterday...still shocked.

I was hoping I would finally get chance to see The Stooges, espcialliy Ron, being a big fan of his guitar playing...

Reading/hearing his interviews, he seemed very humble, level-headed and down to earth.
Reading Paul T's book, he seemed the most sensible of the band members and the most distraught when the band finally split.
I think it was on Jonathan Ross a year or 2 ago when he said he finally had been able to buy his first new car.
It finally paid off being in a band.

A real shame. I hope he gets fitting tributes in music magazines.

I wonder what will happen with the RNR HOF now...
For me, it wouldn't seem right for The Stooges to get in there now, or maybe it would be a fitting tribute...don't wanna rant on about that...

A nice quote from Bobby Gillespie:
"He was a free rock 'n' roll guitarist. He made up his own style – there's nobody else who sounded llike Ron Asheton. As soon as you hear the first chords of any Stooges song you knew it was him playing."

RIP Ron Asheton.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ron may be dead   Ron may be dead - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 1:58 pm

Tuesday in the very early afternoon this made me so happy; an email from a friend who works in the organisation of Paradiso Amsterdam says; 'It's our goal for 2009 to get The Stooges to Paradiso!!!'
What sort of started with a conversation in november 2008 with this friend. I just couldn't understand that The Stooges had played in 2008 a new hall like Watt Rotterdam but NEVER ever had played the Paradiso in Amsterdam. Weird world!! my friend goes; yeah...guess Paradiso wishes to let The Stooges play at the Paradiso.... Mike Watt gave me the emailcontact of the Stooges gigs organiser i forwarded it to him.

About an hour later i saw cb her post. it immediately hit and split me like an axe.

A few friends knowing that i'm a Stooges fan emailed me. They had heard it almost as soon as i did. which is remarkable cuz they r no fans. it was all over; on the radio. the netpages. the main papers the next day. good small pieces written. Honouring Ron as the guitarist who deserved much more attention than he ever got. cuz his guitar playing is the base of punkrock guitar. describing his 'dirty' style. They mentioned a few songs/riffs made by Ron..ofcourse The Dog... the song that everybody knows! I was really surprised.. probably the elder music journalists who were writing these pieces do know their stuff.

It's unbelievable Ron will never play again. just still can't believe it..
Back to top Go down
Donald

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2007-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Ron may be dead   Ron may be dead - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 4:08 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ron may be dead   Ron may be dead - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 4:48 pm

Donald wrote:
Obit from the Guardian
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/jan/08/obituary-ron-asheton-stooges
yes exactly!
Great articles are popping up.
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Ron may be dead   Ron may be dead - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 5:35 pm

"He is survived by Scott."

Uhh...what about Kathy? Geez. Nice article, but they oughtta do the math a bit better.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
Katy

Number of posts : 33

PostSubject: Re: Ron may be dead   Ron may be dead - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 5:40 pm

obituary in The Independent:

HERE.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

Number of posts : 522
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Ron may be dead   Ron may be dead - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 5:49 pm

Several journalists also referred to Ron's personal assistant as HE,
Dara is all woman, BELIEVE ME!

I am getting a ton of personal rememberances, articles and tributes, obits from everywhere! My eyes are going to hell, but it's obvious the world believes Ron belongs in rock and roll heaven sunny

I do, and I'm agnostic at best!

Stay strong and turn this passing into a celebration of his LIFE.
Back to top Go down
http://iggypop.org, http://straightjameswilliamson.com
Katy

Number of posts : 33

PostSubject: Re: Ron may be dead   Ron may be dead - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 6:05 pm

article in The Daily Mail:

HERE.

(you can leave comments on this one.)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ron may be dead   Ron may be dead - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 6:06 pm

cb wrote:
My eyes are going to hell, but it's obvious the world believes Ron belongs in rock and roll heaven sunny

I do, and I'm agnostic at best!

Stay strong and turn this passing into a celebration of his LIFE.

completely with ya cb!
Back to top Go down
Shakes

Shakes

Number of posts : 483
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Ron may be dead   Ron may be dead - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 6:15 pm

my computer had been fucked up for a while. a friend of mine messaged me on a cell phone saying, "you hear about the stooges + ron? you better check this out."

there are a few times i have cried in my life..this was one of them. and to think the first and last time i met him face to face was on my birthday two years ago after the nyc show at the united palace. such a gentleman ... such a stand up guy.

a true real loss to music and people in general.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Ron may be dead   Ron may be dead - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 6:38 pm

Shakes wrote:
. and to think the first and last time i met him face to face was on my birthday two years ago after the nyc show at the united palace. such a gentleman ... such a stand up guy.

wow - great birthday present - lucky you Shakes!
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Ron may be dead   Ron may be dead - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 7:08 pm

I was crying my eyes out again today. Been listening to "Fun House" non stop. I keep picking up little things in Ron's playing I've overlooked before. Like in "Loose" when Iggy goes "Chow chow chow chow" and Ron goes into a spectacular solo then Iggy shouts "Ho!" again and the first overdub is played, its just breathtaking, so dirty and raw but with so much energy. The whole song is breathtaking actually but that little bit just there is something I've never picked up on as such before...and its mindblowing.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Ron may be dead   Ron may be dead - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 7:17 pm

'Ann' was the track that affected me most a couple days ago. The guitar in the first part is going to sound even more other-worldly now.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

PostSubject: Re: Ron may be dead   Ron may be dead - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 7:42 pm

I was listening to the full version of it the other night. That solo is something else, an emotional peak that will never be topped by anything except some of Ron's other songs.

The thing is I can't stand guitar solos as a whole, they irritate me as a real "Hey look at me" thing but Ron is different. I've had days where I'll just listen to the solos.

Maybe its because of his modesty maybe because of the emotion he puts it into it. I think those both play a large part in it but I think it has something to do with the directness of them, theres no unnessersary flare, Ron knows who he is, hes nobody else. They're an integral part of The Stooges sound.
Back to top Go down
Donald

PostSubject: Re: Ron may be dead   Ron may be dead - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 7:52 pm

Wayne Kramer has done the obit for Classic Rock next month. I've seen it and it's really quite touching. I suggest you all buy a copy (or read it in the newsagent). It's good to read one by someone who knew him.
Back to top Go down
napalm_cheetah

napalm_cheetah

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2008-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Ron may be dead   Ron may be dead - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 8:26 pm

Nadja wrote:
'Ann' was the track that affected me most a couple days ago. The guitar in the first part is going to sound even more other-worldly now.
The full version of "Ann" was the first track I put on when I heard about Ron's death...
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Ron may be dead   Ron may be dead - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 9:08 pm

its the song that hit me most, cept dog, when i listened to the album after i'd heard what happened, its an amazing song, such a tragic lost
Back to top Go down
the science eel

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Ron may be dead   Ron may be dead - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 12:03 am

G, F#, E wrote:
I was listening to the full version of it the other night. That solo is something else, an emotional peak that will never be topped by anything except some of Ron's other songs.

The thing is I can't stand guitar solos as a whole, they irritate me as a real "Hey look at me" thing but Ron is different. I've had days where I'll just listen to the solos.

Maybe its because of his modesty maybe because of the emotion he puts it into it. I think those both play a large part in it but I think it has something to do with the directness of them, theres no unnessersary flare, Ron knows who he is, hes nobody else. They're an integral part of The Stooges sound.

Spot on. I think his modesty, combined with a sort of sense of purpose (not to mention a bit of madness!) made him the great he truly was.

Over at Black Cat Bone on Saturday we're going to listen to the first two Stooges albums together, starting at midnight GMT - comments to be made on the board as we go. Join in, if you like - it'll be fun and I think a fitting tribute to Ron.

http://www.bcb-board.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78704
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

PostSubject: Re: Ron may be dead   Ron may be dead - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 12:21 am

I'm up for that!

Is that Saturday midnight as in technically Sunday or technically Saturday?

Anybody else going to join in?

You should maybe make a thread for this. Smile
Back to top Go down
the science eel

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Ron may be dead   Ron may be dead - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 12:29 am

G, F#, E wrote:
I'm up for that!

Is that Saturday midnight as in technically Sunday or technically Saturday?

Anybody else going to join in?

You should maybe make a thread for this. Smile

Saturday midnight - so Saturday night/Sunday morning.

I would start a thread but I think it's a bit cheeky me coming over here 'stealing' folk for this Embarassed

We already have a handful of people interested. We've done this before with other albums and it's great - it gives you new insights into records you're familiar with, and it's good to share thoughts.

Helps if you're a fast typer, too!
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

PostSubject: Re: Ron may be dead   Ron may be dead - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 12:34 am

I'm sure most people here would love to do it, you're not stealing pput it in the "Down On The Street" section and you should be fine. Smile
Back to top Go down
Donald

PostSubject: Re: Ron may be dead   Ron may be dead - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 1:38 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ron may be dead   Ron may be dead - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ron may be dead
Page 8 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next