Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum

Go down 
+11
MJG196
birchy
Petrie Terrace
jerrythebarman
Stranger09
neven
dynamite boogie
Funhousehideaway#2
world's forgotten boy
G, F#, E
Nadja
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum Empty
PostSubject: The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum   The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 11:38 pm

Can anyone tell me if a 'Stooges wax museum' actually exists, (in Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti I think) or did exist? or was it some kind of hoax? anyone else even heard of it?

I've come across references to it recently while reading various Ron Asheton tributes online..couldn't really believe it, sounds bizarre!! but there was one thing about lighting candles for Ron if you wanted to in the museum, with a warning to be careful in case you set fire to the 15 ft high model of a wah pedal or something ...
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum   The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 11:43 pm

Shocked That sounds bizarre.

And if it exists I really, REALLY wanna visit it! Sounds like the perfect way to pay tribute to The Stooges Laughing

Seems like it would have fit Ron's sense of humour perfectly.

I found this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/immane/2819838437/
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum   The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 11:50 pm

I thought it sounded really weird.
that thing about not burning the model of the wah pedal...apparently something like that happened the last time, I mean when candles were lit for Dave...maybe I'll have to find the source again, it was some blog

G, F#, E wrote:
I found this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/immane/2819838437/

yeh, saw that too...would've liked to read the motorbooty article Laughing
Back to top Go down
world's forgotten boy

world's forgotten boy

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2008-04-12

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum   The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 4:01 am

Hehe, this must be a joke or something... Sounds insane! Are there supposed to be wax figures of all the stooges or something?
Back to top Go down
Funhousehideaway#2

Funhousehideaway#2

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2008-03-28

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum   The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 7:27 am

I remember this from year's ago. The Flicker photo is of the MC5 house or the one next door. Hate to say it but there is no Stooges wax museum. I live in Michigan and grew up down the street and it's a myth that I really wish was reality.
Back to top Go down
dynamite boogie

dynamite boogie

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2007-07-19

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum   The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 11:12 am

this story was started in a feature in motorbooty magazine. as stated above the whole thing was a hoax.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/redelektra69
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum   The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 6:29 pm

dynamite boogie wrote:
this story was started in a feature in motorbooty magazine. as stated above the whole thing was a hoax.

kinda glad to have that confirmed...I was starting to have dreams about that giant wah pedal
Back to top Go down
dynamite boogie

dynamite boogie

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2007-07-19

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum   The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 10:52 pm

yeah. a 15 foot high wah wah pedal does seem somewhat unbelievable.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/redelektra69
neven

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum   The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 10:43 pm

dynamite boogie wrote:

think so too,many stories in motorbooty were jokes like this story of detroit cable tv showing a stooges show on tv or i wanna be your dog being stolen from i wanna be your hog by the hogs whose singer was killed in nam
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum   The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 11:15 pm

I would've liked to read that article Laughing
Back to top Go down
Stranger09

Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum   The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 2:34 am

I was taken in by this one Smile

Might have mentioned it before when I first joined, but I went across the states in the late 90's with my sister, a whistle stop tour checking out the Grand Canyon, San Francisco, Boston, Niagara Falls, New Orleans etc.

Detroit was the one selfish most music related stop off (although New Orleans I had wanted to catch music like the sort you see in 'The Big Easy' but didn't find it, partly because we had no idea where to look!).

It looked like a war zone to us! Even the roughest parts of our cities in the UK look ten times more civilised and less desolate, no offence Smile

We went out at night when we got there, went on a metro train of some sort - there was no-one around, it didn't feel right. I remember a big manmade pool, and seeing the Cobo Arena and almost drawing comfort from it, thinking "Bowie played there!", but still didn't feel much safer with the fact the whole place was empty. We just got the train back to the hotel early, and I diald up to watch the Beavis and Butthead film (new at the time) on pay-per-view.

The next morning was our trip to Ann Arbor.

At the hotel reception the next morning, I asked about getting a Greyhound there. They said get a taxi to the bus station. Mindful of keeping costs down, and having a little time in hand, I asked "how far is that?". "About a quarter of a mile" I was told. "Ah, we'll walk" I answered..."Don't. Get a taxi"!

The taxi came...we were not let in by the driver, which was different to other times I've taken a taxi, and when we got to the bus station, we were not encouraged to pay through the window, but through a slot in the shield between the back seats and the driving compartment!

At Ann Arbor, I found the town (well, city, as I've found out thru reading Paul Trynka's excellent book on Iggy) centre very green, and erm, arbrous, appopriately. At the record shop, I asked about the Iggy and the Stooges Wax Museum - a flyer had been included in some Iggy goodies I'd ordered by post once, and this was the point for me of the Detroit / Ann Arbor stop off.

"oh" said the guy behind the counter, "it's a joke! But if I had one dollar for every time I've been asked...." Smile

I did however get a nice original vinyl of Fun House there, in the gatefold cover with the great Stooges on the carpet pic, and for a lot less than I would've got it in the UK too...
Back to top Go down
jerrythebarman

jerrythebarman

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-04-26

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum   The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 2:04 am

Yeah, I remember the article in Motorbooty (Winter 1990 issue). It also featured some mock pic sleeves singles that didn't actually exist (if I recall, a 7" for Wet My Bed was one). I think the idea back then was to poke fun (relatively good-naturedly) at the Stooges obsession that was particularly prevalent amongst Swedish and (particularly) Aussie bands and fans at the time. Motorbooty did actually sell Stooges Wax Museum t-shirts, my friend Kevin has one, wish I did. I remember the Mudhoney dudes jokingly referencing the Wax Museum in interviews and such back then, too. Obviously, the guy who took that photo on Flickr was fooled.
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"
Petrie Terrace

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum   The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 2:32 am

If I remember it rightly there was also a single with the 1971 line-up on the front, and the text written in what looked to me at the time like hebrew (if anyone still has it I'd love to know what it translates as).

There was also a bit about how you could buy Iggy shaped salt & pepper sets, you shook him and it came out of the slashes in his chest.

Those people were funny!
Back to top Go down
birchy

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2009-04-12

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum   The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 10:07 pm

I still have that copy of Motorbooty somewhere!!!
Seem to remember something about Australian bands playing live in the cellar Laughing .
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum   The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 10:09 pm

Some chick ran off with Iggy's wax penis.
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum   The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 10:29 pm

[quote="jerrythebarman"] Motorbooty did actually sell Stooges Wax Museum t-shirts, my friend Kevin has one, wish I did. I.[/quote]

lol..would have liked to see one of those.
Back to top Go down
zenta138

zenta138

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-01-31

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum   The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 12:03 am

My shirt had the Stooges logo (with the first 2 albums type) Wax Museum, Ann Arbor MI.

there was an iggy statue/ bust type thing under it. the shirt fell apart long ago, but i'm sure i have a photo of me wearing it. i'll look tonight.
Back to top Go down
jerrythebarman

jerrythebarman

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-04-26

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum   The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 12:41 am

Yeah, that's the one. Dunno if Kev still has his, he lost everything in a fire around '93-4.
Back to top Go down
iggy-fan
I Got A Right
iggy-fan

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-03-02

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum   The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 8:25 am

I have some flyers with it somewhere.
Back to top Go down
http://goto.glocalnet.net/iggy-fanpage/
KarlR

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum   The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 3:02 am

The peanut butter jar from the Cincinnati Pop Festival was supposedly on display there as well. I had that issue of Motorbooty (put together by a couple of the Necros/Big Chief guys) & thought it was probably a hoax, especially when discovering it's address was the same as the White Panther headquarters as printed on the gatefold of 'Kick Out The Jams'. Nevertheless when I was in Michigan in 1991 visiting family I had to find out for sure & drove out to Ann Arbor to discover that some sort of health centre was occupying the site.
Back to top Go down
osterbergermeister

osterbergermeister

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2007-03-08

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum   The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 6:06 am

I, too, gave this a shot in the summer of 1993. The address did have the same building that was pictured in the Motorbooty article. I banged on the door and no one answered. TI went around to the back (kitchen) door and I found a guy washing dishes. He said that yes, it was a hoax. He also said that at least I didn't come all the way from France like a couple of guys the previous week! I came from Texas. Steve
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum   The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 11:09 pm

Sounds like quite a few people were taken in..
thanks for the stories! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum   The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Mystery of the Stooges Wax Museum
Page 1 of 1