Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Heavy Liquid any good?

Go down 
+6
larry fine
PSYCHEDELIC_STOOGE
Monger
JW82
adams66
lucifer
10 posters
AuthorMessage
lucifer

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-01-31

Heavy Liquid any good? Empty
PostSubject: Heavy Liquid any good?   Heavy Liquid any good? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 8:40 pm

Is the Heavy Liquid Box set any good for someone like me who as most of the Revenge vinyls and Bomb Iggy Chronicles?

Is there any unreleased recording?
Is the sound quality and packaging good?
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Liquid any good?   Heavy Liquid any good? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 11:18 pm

If you have all the Revenge albums then you will have some of the Heavy Liquid box (mainly the rehearsal stuff), but there is loads of material on Heavy Liquid that you won't have had before - principally the excellent quality March rehearsal from Morgan studios, the "I Got A Right" studio sessions and the pretty fair quality Whisky A Go Go complete set - which is probably from October - see the other thread here for more details. The packaging is very good and informative too.
Worth getting hold of for sure.
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

Number of posts : 666
Registration date : 2008-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Liquid any good?   Heavy Liquid any good? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 12:44 am

adams66 wrote:
If you have all the Revenge albums then you will have some of the Heavy Liquid box (mainly the rehearsal stuff), but there is loads of material on Heavy Liquid that you won't have had before - principally the excellent quality March rehearsal from Morgan studios, the "I Got A Right" studio sessions and the pretty fair quality Whisky A Go Go complete set - which is probably from October - see the other thread here for more details. The packaging is very good and informative too.
Worth getting hold of for sure.
Cheers,
Richard

True Smile It might be interesting for some to hear even those 13 takes of 'I Got A Right' -> sometimes they sound different from each other. Cool & fun versions of 'Gimme Some Skin' (instrumental one!), 'Louie Louie', almost 18-minute 'I Need Somebody' - straight from tha studio Smile There are also unreleased Max's Kansas City, Whiskey ( the first two in full ) and Bimbo's gigs. Plus some of Mick Rock pics and a booklet. I would say that boxset is mostly for Stooges die-hard fans Very Happy But not necessarily Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tosterhead/music
Monger

Monger

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Liquid any good?   Heavy Liquid any good? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 7:12 am

Its very worthwhile i think.If not for the first 2 discs alone,plus your supporting EA who will in turn hopefully dispense further stooges releases,plus the band gets paid off the release! i dont think skydog or revenge paid them a lot over the years
Back to top Go down
PSYCHEDELIC_STOOGE

PSYCHEDELIC_STOOGE

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Liquid any good?   Heavy Liquid any good? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 7:14 am

I recommend it. It has some sweet versions of I Got A Right and Johanna on it. It also comes with 2 cool stickers as well as a very nice photo booklet.
Back to top Go down
larry fine

larry fine

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Liquid any good?   Heavy Liquid any good? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 4:43 pm

I just got my copy a couple of days ago so I'm not completely familiar with it yet. What I have heard is very good. They seem to have done a superb job of cleaning up bad cassette recordings and 1/4" reel to reel tapes. The fact is, of course, that there is not much you can do with some of the existing tapes. They just are not of very high quality. They are inferior bootlegs, essentially.

It is probably the best these tapes have ever sounded and there are tracks on some of the rehearsal tapes that I had never heard before. If you are a big enough fan (and you're here so I guess you might be) then I'd say that they are worth it. I was very reticent about spending the money but am not only glad that I did; I will also probably now go for the Sonic's Rendezvous box.
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Liquid any good?   Heavy Liquid any good? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 1:58 am

I just received it for my birthday....FUCK YEAH!
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
james matlock

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Liquid any good?   Heavy Liquid any good? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2009 10:40 am

As someone who preferred the pre=raw power material, this gave me a first time window/new insight into this set of material. Very raw. Highly recommended.
Back to top Go down
lucifer

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Liquid any good?   Heavy Liquid any good? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 7:07 pm

I am conviced!
I will buy it, supporting Easy Action is good Smile
Back to top Go down
jneilnyc

jneilnyc

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Liquid any good?   Heavy Liquid any good? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 3:15 am

Here's the question from the opposite perspective: if I have Heavy Liquid (and of course I do, along with a smattering of others going back to the old Rubber Legs LP) how many of the available Stooges collections become completely redundant?

I was looking at the two most recent ones that are being talked about (Move Ass Baby and More Power) and it's hard to tell how much of that stuff I have already. I'm sure someone has already figured this out for themselves, right?
Back to top Go down
http://www.jneil.com/
andrew

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Liquid any good?   Heavy Liquid any good? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 10:58 am

jneilnyc wrote:
Here's the question from the opposite perspective: if I have Heavy Liquid (and of course I do, along with a smattering of others going back to the old Rubber Legs LP) how many of the available Stooges collections become completely redundant?

I was looking at the two most recent ones that are being talked about (Move Ass Baby and More Power) and it's hard to tell how much of that stuff I have already. I'm sure someone has already figured this out for themselves, right?

There's nothing on these two that hasn't been out before, and the stuff on More Power has been tampered with, with overdubs of drum tracks etc. Move Ass Baby may well have similar tampering.

Heavy Liquid makes surprisingly few of the Revenge and Bomp releases completely redundant. See this thread for details.

Andrew
Back to top Go down
jneilnyc

jneilnyc

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Liquid any good?   Heavy Liquid any good? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 7:21 pm

Will do. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jneil.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Liquid any good?   Heavy Liquid any good? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Heavy Liquid any good?
Page 1 of 1