Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

James Williamson's decadent silver boots

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
saichan

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2009-01-13

James Williamson's decadent silver boots Empty
PostSubject: James Williamson's decadent silver boots   James Williamson's decadent silver boots Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 1:12 pm

I'm obsessed with James Williamson's thigh-high silver boots. Robert Matheu's photo of them is towards the end of this page: http://www.i94bar.com/ints/sonicsrendezvousband.html

And there's another on the 2nd page of the i94 interview with James: http://www.i94bar.com/ints/james2.html

I've always marvelled at the image of these decadent drug punks creating such a lethal sound while looking like Sex Mutants from Mars (can't remember where I stole that descriptor from: Nick Kent? Paul Trynka?). I envy the people on this forum who saw the Raw Power Stooges, because the disjunction between this image and the sound coming from the stage must have blown many, many minds.

So imagine my joy at coming across this recent interview with James, part of a tribute to Ron, where he discusses his magnificent boots!

From the Metro Times:
http://www.metrotimes.com/music/story.asp?id=13608

JAMES WILLIAMSON: "Those were crazy times. I remember we were in L.A., practicing like crazy for our first U.S. gig in Detroit. So we went out and had a bunch of fancy stuff made for us. And I had those [thigh-high] silver boots made by this really famous boot guy in Hollywood. The guy took so long to make them, I didn't really get a chance to try them on and spend time in them. What I didn't realize is that boots that can't bend at the knee mean you can't sit down. And so there I am, the night of the show — and I don't know how I'm going to get there! Because I can't bend my legs to ride in a car. So they finally picked me up and managed to lay me down on my back in a van — and that's how I got to the show. But I was flat. I couldn't even get up when we got there. Scotty and somebody, I think it might have been Ron, had to lift me up so I could walk."

Hilarious. The mind boggles.
Back to top Go down
saichan

PostSubject: Re: James Williamson's decadent silver boots   James Williamson's decadent silver boots Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 11:07 pm

In that Metro Times piece, there's also a weird exchange with Kim Fowley. When asked to supply his memories of Ron, he just ends up talking about himself. Really bizarre and really unattractively self-absorbed, and more than a little deranged and unhinged.

It should really be titled 'Kim Fowley's Top 5 Memories of Kim Fowley', or even 'Kim Fowley's Top 5 Memories of Ron Asheton's Memories of Kim Fowley'.

"KIM FOWLEY, PRODUCER, WRITER, HUSTLER, LEGEND

Kim Fowley's Top 5 Memories of Ron Asheton:

1) Ron Asheton and some of the Stooges told me they'd heard "Outrageous" by Kim Fowley before they cut their first album.

2) Ron's singer, Iggy Pop, told me personally that he loved "Secret Police" by the Belfast Gypsies, produced and co-written by Kim Fowley.

3) Ron Asheton called me in Santa Monica, Calif., one morning in the early '70s and asked me if I wanted to be the new singer of the Stooges. I replied "No."

4) Ron Asheton asked me to come to a jam when he and Dennis "Machine Gun" Thompson were forming the New Order. I showed up and ate fast food but didn't sing.

5) Ron Asheton called me on the phone in the late '70s and declared Niagara to be GOD."
Back to top Go down
TeddyB1018

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-07-06

PostSubject: Re: James Williamson's decadent silver boots   James Williamson's decadent silver boots Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 10:24 am

BTW, the name of the bootmaker who knocked together James's silver thigh-highs is Fred Slatten. He was the heavyweight bootmaker in Hollywood for years. His shop off Santa Monica Blvd. closed around ten years ago, maybe a bit longer.
Back to top Go down
trailerborn

trailerborn

Number of posts : 411
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: James Williamson's decadent silver boots   James Williamson's decadent silver boots Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 3:26 pm

Fowley is a maniac, at least according to some former members of the Runaways.

Methinks both he and Rodney Bingenheimer are sitting on tons of cool 73-75 Iggy/Stooges stuff. The video snippet of Iggy hanging at Rodneys in '73 (from 'The Mayor of Sunset Strip' movie) is probably just the tip of the iceberg.
Back to top Go down
saichan

PostSubject: Re: James Williamson's decadent silver boots   James Williamson's decadent silver boots Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 10:42 pm

trailerborn wrote:
Fowley is a maniac, at least according to some former members of the Runaways.

Methinks both he and Rodney Bingenheimer are sitting on tons of cool 73-75 Iggy/Stooges stuff. The video snippet of Iggy hanging at Rodneys in '73 (from 'The Mayor of Sunset Strip' movie) is probably just the tip of the iceberg.

I think you're right. There's got to be more film footage of the Raw Power Stooges than the soundless 5 seconds of Iggy and James that I've seen (I think this was part of Ivan Kral's Super 8 Stooges footage). You would think that such a bizarre figure as Iggy, and such a compelling band as the Stooges, would have been filmed reasonably often. The Pink Fairies, for example, were perhaps at least as underground, and there was a fair swathe of film unearthed of them recently.

I hope it comes to light in my lifetime.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: James Williamson's decadent silver boots   James Williamson's decadent silver boots Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

James Williamson's decadent silver boots
Page 1 of 1