Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again

Go down 
+18
Cherry
dorianmode
stooges
JW82
neven
Nadja
HoundDog
scott
Hectorlovesthestooges
Aku
Donald
emanon
trailerborn
Medford Mike
krugersoldier
larry fine
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
ElRoi
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Should Scott Thuston be ask to again play with the Stooges
Yes...he was a Stooge after all.
Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again Vote_lcap89%Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again Vote_rcap
 89% [ 42 ]
No
Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again Vote_lcap11%Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again Vote_rcap
 11% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 47

AuthorMessage
ElRoi

ElRoi

Number of posts : 528
Registration date : 2009-09-10

Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again Empty
PostSubject: Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again   Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 10:19 pm

I know some fans don't really care for keys in Stooges music, but I myself accept and appreciate it for what it is in certain tunes. However, no matter how you feel about the subject there is no denying that Scott Thurston is an incredible multi-instrumentalist (if you weren't aware he also plays very good guitar) and backing vocalist as proven by his tenure in Tom Petty and The Heartbreaks. As far as I know Petty and crew are not touring or recording a new album at this time and I think it would be an excellent idea to have him back in the Stooges. If for no other reasons than the fact that he was a Stooge and he is still a talented, working musician. He is credited on live CD's and is present in many photos of the band in the later period. The most important reason to have him back is that he could not only add the keys in the songs that have them, but he could play a second guitar thus facilitating the playing of the songs done during the Stooges 71 box set era. Am I wrong on this or what?

Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again 2533031225330314large
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again   Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 10:41 pm

Hell Yes ! His guitar playing is as good as James'
Back to top Go down
larry fine

larry fine

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again   Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 10:59 pm

He was in the band every time I saw them (well, back in the day, anyway) and I loved what he added to the sound. He also played with Iggy several times after the Stooges broke up. He's all over TV Eye Live, New Values and Kill City. I say, bring him back!
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again   Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 11:15 pm

I wish they would. But James said Scott was busy with Tom (petty)... I guess me's making good $ with tom, but he should be a lead guitarist (not that rhythm is bad or anything)
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again   Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 12:00 am

JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES wrote:
I wish they would. But James said Scott was busy with Tom (petty)... I guess me's making good $ with tom, but he should be a lead guitarist (not that rhythm is bad or anything)

Tom should give him a furlough from the Heartbreakers for a little while to let him help create musical history and celebrate Ron.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again   Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 1:01 am

oh yah
Back to top Go down
krugersoldier

krugersoldier

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2008-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again   Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 1:27 am

The version of I Got A Right on TV Eye Live is one of the greatest recordings (if not the greatest) in the career of Iggy Pop in my opinion. As a punk band whos name i now forget once said "Also Sprach Scott Thurston"
Back to top Go down
Medford Mike

Medford Mike

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again   Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 4:41 am

Thanks for bringing this topic to the forum. I have been thinking about this for some time and asked James Williamson about it at the Blank Club in San Jose, to which he replied that Scott Thurston was indeed busy with Tom Petty. I'm still hoping that might change and he can be brought into the mix. I do not care for keyboards in most harder genres of music, but I really believe Scott Thurston's contributions fleshed out the Raw Power-era setlist nicely and was done without making the music sound hokey or "pussifying" it. Oh, and it would be cool to have someone from my hometown represented in Iggy and the Stooges!
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again   Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 5:29 am

Medford Mike wrote:
Thanks for bringing this topic to the forum. I have been thinking about this for some time and asked James Williamson about it at the Blank Club in San Jose, to which he replied that Scott Thurston was indeed busy with Tom Petty. I'm still hoping that might change and he can be brought into the mix. I do not care for keyboards in most harder genres of music, but I really believe Scott Thurston's contributions fleshed out the Raw Power-era setlist nicely and was done without making the music sound hokey or "pussifying" it. Oh, and it would be cool to have someone from my hometown represented in Iggy and the Stooges!

Weren't there a piano parts here and there on the Stooges and Fun House. "I Wanna Be Your Dog" has piano it doesn't it? It's not like he would be going to play with some nobody band he used to play with before Tom, it's the freakin' Stooges. I mean hell in the digital world of today do you really have to all be in the same room to record an album?
Back to top Go down
trailerborn

trailerborn

Number of posts : 411
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again   Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 7:16 am

It's a shame, but it sounds like Thurston is a non-starter. I enjoyed hearing Williamson play with a good rhythm guitarist at the Careless Hearts gig and ST could've filled that role nicely. In addition to piano duties, of course.

Can McKay play piano? Isn't he a jazz guy? "Cock in My Pocket' 'aint exactly Mozart. A touch too much saxamaphone and things start sounding a bit too bar-bandsy for me. Just my subjective, possibly flawed, opinion.
Back to top Go down
emanon

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again   Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 9:32 am

There needs to be celeste or piano in "Penetration". I'm sure Steve can manage at least that much...who played that in the studio?
Back to top Go down
Donald

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2007-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again   Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 11:09 am

I would vote for a "not bothered" option if there was one. I'm sure it will be brilliant if he plays and it will be brilliant if he doesn't. It will just be different.
Back to top Go down
Aku

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again   Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 4:48 pm

Weren't there a piano parts here and there on the Stooges and Fun House. "I Wanna Be Your Dog" has piano it doesn't it? It's not like he would be going to play with some nobody band he used to play with before Tom, it's the freakin' Stooges. I mean hell in the digital world of today do you really have to all be in the same room to record an album?[/quote]

- No, there's no piano on "I Wanna Be Your Dog" - NO.
There's NO Piano on Fun House album, either. No. No No.
Back to top Go down
Hectorlovesthestooges

Hectorlovesthestooges

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again   Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 5:21 pm

And what about that guy who played before Scott...Bob Sheff? (if he's still alive)

Well...no. Scott is better.
Back to top Go down
scott

scott

Number of posts : 269
Registration date : 2009-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again   Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 5:59 pm

Aku wrote:
No, there's no piano on "I Wanna Be Your Dog" - NO.
Uhh, there is the famous single-note piano riff played by producer John Cale on 'Dog'.
Back to top Go down
Aku

PostSubject: Re: Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again   Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 6:11 pm

scott wrote:
Aku wrote:
Uhh, there is the famous single-note piano riff played by producer John Cale on 'Dog'.

- That's sleigh bells, not a piano. The famous single-note piano riff is on Raw Power
Back to top Go down
scott

scott

Number of posts : 269
Registration date : 2009-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again   Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 6:20 pm

Aku wrote:
That's sleigh bells, not a piano. The famous single-note piano riff is on Raw Power
In addition to the piano on that tune, he did use sleigh bells.

Last edited by scott on Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
HoundDog

HoundDog

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2009-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again   Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 6:44 pm

hell, yeah....scott was, and always is, a stooge in my book
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again   Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 8:11 pm

scott wrote:
Aku wrote:
That's what I thought. I guess Aku either can't hear very well or just doesn't know what a piano sounds like and from his/her response obviosly voted no to having Scott T. back.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again   Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 10:23 pm

I didn't actually realize there was a piano on 'Dog' the first few times I heard it. I wouldn't say it was necessarily due to defective hearing either, I guess we all know what pianos sound like. I just didn't isolate it from the maelstrom of the rhythm guitar.

It'd be good to have Thurston back...you definitely need the piano on tracks like 'Pinpoint Eyes'!
Back to top Go down
Aku

PostSubject: Re: Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again   Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 11:47 pm

ElRoi wrote:
scott wrote:
Aku wrote:

That's what I thought. I guess Aku either can't hear very well or just doesn't know what a piano sounds like and from his/her response obviosly voted no to having Scott T. back.

..With all respect, Please don't guess...There's nothing wrong with my hearing, and yeah - We all know what pianos sound like. I happen to be a guy and I didn't say or vote anything about Scott T. ...I still haven't heard any new material from Iggy & The Stooges with James... - So it's too early to say if they need him or not.
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again   Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 12:09 am

Aku wrote:
ElRoi wrote:
scott wrote:
Aku wrote:

..With all respect, Please don't guess...There's nothing wrong with my hearing, and yeah - We all know what pianos sound like. I happen to be a guy and I didn't say or vote anything about Scott T. ...I still haven't heard any new material from Iggy & The Stooges with James... - So it's too early to say if they need him or not.

No disrespect on this end either, but you were being so matter of fact about it with the "- No, there's no piano on "I Wanna Be Your Dog" - NO" that I felt you were dismissing me entirely even though I was certain that there is a piano on that song because I have listened to it at least a thousand times. Probably, at least once a day for the last couple of weeks. So, in the future you might want to make sure you are correct in your matter of factness before you go attempting to dismiss others. And I apologize for the "his/her" thing. If your name was Pat or Lynn or any number of other names that are often used for males and females i would have done the same thing. However, your have corrected me in your case and I will make note of it.
Back to top Go down
neven

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again   Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 12:52 am

story someone told me:at one of the 2003 new york gigs thurston showed up and iggy said:"thurston was never a stooge''
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

Number of posts : 666
Registration date : 2008-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again   Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 1:29 am

neven wrote:
story someone told me:at one of the 2003 new york gigs thurston showed up and iggy said:"thurston was never a stooge''

IMHO, Scott Thurston seemed to be a hired live and session musician. Steve MacKay is a lot more Stooge-y than Thurston. Even Mike Watt is.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tosterhead/music
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again   Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 3:28 am

neven wrote:

I would have to read a direct quote from Iggy before i would believe that. like larry said,

larry fine wrote:
He was in the band every time I saw them (well, back in the day, anyway) and I loved what he added to the sound. He also played with Iggy several times after the Stooges broke up. He's all over TV Eye Live, New Values and Kill City. I say, bring him back!

I doubt Iggy would have had Scott T. involved with all of those solo projects if he fell that his tenure in the Stooges didn't make him a Stooge. But again, if Iggy were to state in an interview that in his opinion "thurston was never a stooge'' I would have to respect that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again   Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Should Scott Thuston be asked to play with the Stooges again
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next