Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?

Go down 
+19
eusebioneto
JW82
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Donald
bobyoung
EyeGee
dan b
MJG196
jimmyo
Rode Hard
culturanta
heavy liquid
Loose1969
Paul T
Gimme some skin
Colin Chaos
adams66
Borntohula
brujo
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

Number of posts : 666
Registration date : 2008-02-10

Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 4:26 am

I can't imagine the Stooges performing Raw Power-era songs at all. It was more of a James-era period than 'original Stooges' as Ron claims. The only exception I believe would be that they could perform those songs, when inducted into Hall of Fame (with James of course Smile ).
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tosterhead/music
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 6:44 am

This comparison will never die, will it?

James has retired, it's Ron's gig now. I wouldn't look forward to any "Raw Power" stuff in the future. Not that I wouldn't love it, but.....
Let's look forward to some new tunes instead. THAT just may happen. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
Gimme some skin

Number of posts : 349
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 7:34 am

Ron's got better riffs.

Tongue
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 7:57 pm

Gimme some skin wrote:
Ron's got better riffs.

Tongue

That's quite true!!!
I'd have loved to heard them BOTH, James playing his "ice-pick in the ears" leads over Ron's monster riffs.

Then again, I'm also waiting to win the fucking lottery. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 9:59 pm

Loose1969 wrote:

James has retired, it's Ron's gig now. I wouldn't look forward to any "Raw Power" stuff in the future. Not that I wouldn't love it, but.....

no, this comparison never will die! Just to repeat myself (I love doing that) Ron will always have the edge, for me. And that's only because he has the edge over every other guitarist there's ever been, alive or dead.
Back to top Go down
Gimme some skin

Number of posts : 349
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 10:29 pm

Nadja wrote:
Loose1969 wrote:

no, this comparison never will die! Just to repeat myself (I love doing that) Ron will always have the edge, for me. And that's only because he has the edge over every other guitarist there's ever been, alive or dead.

I feel the same. Ron's killer riffs have never been matched.
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 11:21 pm

Loose1969 wrote:
I'd have loved to heard them BOTH, James playing his "ice-pick in the ears" leads over Ron's monster riffs.

That's what I wish had happened after 1971. Stooges playing as a quintet with two killer guitars Smile
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 11:27 pm

I still say, given the choice between the two I'd pick Ron. And nowadays his lead licks are just as awesome as his riffs. Amazing guitarist.
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 5:14 am

notice something (cough cough) however, ron never uses his pinky finger on a lead ... (avid guitar players always notice) ....

James leads mainly consisted of always using his pinky. he was much more technical, and his leads are uncomparable to ron.

DON'T ALL GO NOOOO! AND DROP YOUR MOUTHS IN UTTER DISGUST!

It's just the truth.. HOWEVER, Ron Is a totally different style. Being able to make his lack of expierience, accomplishment, and speed dissapear with a certian approach of his own... (feedback) & alot is in the pedals he uses. thats a big part.

james never uses pedals though, he perferd the straight to amp sound. but pedals can be good and straigh to can also be good.

I love em both ! you should too

CHEERS !
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 12:09 pm

all that technical 'guitar-speak' is way over my head. I only know what my ears tell me Smile
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 7:18 pm

Nadja wrote:
all that technical 'guitar-speak' is way over my head. I only know what my ears tell me Smile

In the end, what your EARS tell you is all that matters! Smile

James is excellent, no doubt about it.

But RON RULES.
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 8:04 pm

I saw the clip of their performance at Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame and I've gotta say that Ron's solo in Madonna's 'Burning Up' is blasting!
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 8:21 pm

JamesWilliamson82 wrote:
I saw the clip of their performance at Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame and I've gotta say that Ron's solo in Madonna's 'Burning Up' is blasting!

Fuckin' amazing, wasn't it? Very Happy
Ron really has come a long way since 1970.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 8:25 pm

'come a long way'? you mean he's improved 'technically' or something?
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 8:51 pm

Nadja wrote:
'come a long way'? you mean he's improved 'technically' or something?

Exactly.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE everything he's ever done, just as it is. Monster riffs, awesome feedback. But nowadays his LEAD work is equally impressive. He gives me the impression he can pretty much play anything he wants now. Technically he's grown in leaps and bounds.
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 8:51 pm

ps. Nice Dave avatar. Wink
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 9:51 pm

Quote :
Technically he's grown in leaps and bounds.

I agree, when you watch him playing nowadays its amazing, blistering speed, someimtes so fast the camera cant even pick it up, i was astounded when i saw them, i couldnt believe it (as a guitarist) it seemed mindblowing how he could play that speed, and it sounded like 3 different things at once, like the old blues guys used to do, like lightnin hopkins, ilke play bass/lead/rhythm etc all at once, he's an amazing guitarist
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 10:24 pm

hhehe yes he's great. but i've never noticed speed in his leads. hes more of a really blastin lead Smile very nice.

i still must say that ron wouldnt be able to do the james leads Smile

but he dosent have to Smile

cheers
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 10:45 pm

The thing about Ron, of course he REALLY put the 'rhythm' in 'rhythm' guitar. That, just to state the obvious, is his greatest strength. In fact, he doesn't even need to do ANY 'leads', as far as I'm concerned! But he obviously feels he has to. Of course that's OK. It's just that it makes him seem more like an ordinary mortal, or something!!
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 10:52 pm

JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES wrote:
i still must say that ron wouldnt be able to do the james leads

Although he has a different style, I think he would be able to. Speed is not what matters in guitar playing. The most important factors are playing clean and accurate. And I believe Ron can play faster, being clean and accurant. But that's not the point. We are not expecting Michael Angelo Batio here LOL Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 11:01 pm

Nadja wrote:
The thing about Ron, of course he REALLY put the 'rhythm' in 'rhythm' guitar. That, just to state the obvious, is his greatest strength. In fact, he doesn't even need to do ANY 'leads', as far as I'm concerned! But he obviously feels he has to. Of course that's OK. It's just that it makes him seem more like an ordinary mortal, or something!!

I definitely understand your point. Ron put on sort of a "rhythm guitar army" all by himself, and the songs are better off for it. What leads he does play fit the song, they don't drown it out. As it ought to be.

My guess is that Ron could rip the fucking daylights out of "Sick Of You" if he wanted to. But he's not going to do it.

This whole thing about "why doesn't Ron play any Raw Power Songs?" is really easy to figure out. That period of time wasn't his Stooges. As stated in a lot of interviews, Ron feels (rightly) that he got the shit end of the stick. He did. So why relive all that? I don't blame him.

I'm just looking forward to the next NEW album, with hopefully a much better producer.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 11:12 pm

Quote :
I'm just looking forward to the next NEW album, with hopefully a much better producer.

Same, i cant wait, i also loved the way you described rons type of playing; "a rhythm guitar army'', he's amazing, i love ron, he's my faovurite stooges guitarist, btw as a passing thought, the other day i was lying in bed half asleep (im in uni, its pretty much all i do, lol) but i think someone was hoovering, or like using the hair dryer and instead of usually whenver someone wakes you with a huge noise like that i wasnt pissed i actually thought of the stooges, and esp wat ron said about the hair dryer making that like nurembourg rally shouting sound and that detroit sound, that industrial sort of sound, and i listened to it and i actually 'got it' i could hear what he heard, and like gettin to jazz and like llstenin to songs like ''sister ray'' and noise fest sort of bands it sounded pretty cool actually - just a thought, rambling again, i dunno whats wrong with me today, i did the same thing in another thread, lol, im changin my name

thanks,
Ramblin' Homesick James
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 12:49 pm

guitar army - interesting phrase. Not sure exactly what you mean by it, Loose, but certainly on tracks like 'Dog' it sounds like there's about five guitars playing all at once in that left channel!
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 5:38 pm

Nadja wrote:
guitar army - interesting phrase. Not sure exactly what you mean by it, Loose, but certainly on tracks like 'Dog' it sounds like there's about five guitars playing all at once in that left channel!
A "guitar army" is exactly what you described. Multiple guitars layered onto one song. And nobody does it better than Ron. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 7:06 pm

'no-one does it better than Ron'

DAMN RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?   Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Does the Ig ever perform "Open Up and Bleed"?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next