Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Raw Power Embassy Reels?

Go down 
+41
jaredlange911
jdb1982
rubber legs
LunarTunes
unheard78
ChuckN
ianianian
LuckyMonkey
ziggysane
Petrie Terrace
NOS300B
G, F#, E
mc
iggy
StoogesFan
tjb81
studioguy
Ilmostro
MJG196
comaman
StoogeFan
TeddyB1018
johnthelawman
Garageman
Radiobirdman73
stooges
mark
jpod
boogie
jpstooges
krugersoldier
seventeen
mr.datsun
gazatthebop
neven
StoogesMySpaceAdmin
cantona7
merkin
NY Pussy
larry fine
Tyronehell
45 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Tyronehell

Tyronehell

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Raw Power Embassy Reels? Empty
PostSubject: Raw Power Embassy Reels?   Raw Power Embassy Reels? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 5:53 pm

Have any of you got the Embassy press of Raw Power and if so what is your thoughts on the mix on it as it is supposedly different from the Bowie and Iggy's mixs & there is 2 songs from that mix going on the reissue as bonus tracks.

I dont have the Embassy version myself but have just won a copy on eBay and should be here with in the week.
Back to top Go down
larry fine

larry fine

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Embassy Reels?   Raw Power Embassy Reels? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 7:27 pm

I don't have the record in question but would love to hear your thoughts on it once you have it.
Back to top Go down
NY Pussy

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Embassy Reels?   Raw Power Embassy Reels? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 1:20 am

Sounds interesting. The story of this record is soooo complex
Back to top Go down
merkin

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Embassy Reels?   Raw Power Embassy Reels? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 6:59 am

My first copy of Raw Power was an "Embassy" copy back in 1977. I wouldn't get too excited. It didn't sound much different and unless they do something magical with the digital mastering you'll be wondering what all the hoopla was about like I am. Looking forward to hearing the rest of the package though.
Back to top Go down
cantona7

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2010-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Embassy Reels?   Raw Power Embassy Reels? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 12:51 am

I have it and serach and destroy sounds a lot different to the normal bowie mix with different drums and guitars. Note this is on the one with the embassy label with embassy on the right and cbs on the left. S/N 31464. There is another with the same S/N but with a normal CBS label with a small embassy under the CBS logo, that one has the normal bowie mix. The rest of the embassy one sounds a bit different but not much, worth tracking down fo the serach and destroy though, sound like the rough power versions of the song but in much better sound.
Back to top Go down
cantona7

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2010-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Embassy Reels?   Raw Power Embassy Reels? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 12:57 am

I read about the embassy mix and wanted it but the first one I got was the same as the bowie mix I had for years but when I go the second it was well worth it, especially for the very different search and destroy. MY CAMERA is on the blink so i cant post pictures at the moment but I think I can describe what you are after.

The first embassy version I got has labels on the record that are almost identical to a normal CBS record. That is orange and yellow background with black writing and the white CBS logo at the top with a very small embassy in black under the cbs and above the record title. Serial number is S31464 but this is just the standard bowie mix.

The embassy one you wnat has orange and white labels on the record quite different from a normal cbs label with cbs in black on the left and embassy in black and white on the right. Serial number is the same though and the record covers are identical to how you describe for both versions with CBs and embassy on the left and the monster wrting on the right. If you have the Robert Matheau book there is a picture of the real embassy record label on the page that has raw power on it.

Clearly the embassy one I describe above is the original and then maybe when they did a repress they spotted the mistake and went back to the real master. Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2007-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Embassy Reels?   Raw Power Embassy Reels? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 1:22 am

Sounds intriguing. I'd love to get my hands on one of those... Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/iggyandthestooges
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Embassy Reels?   Raw Power Embassy Reels? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 1:23 am

Tyronehell wrote:
I dont have the Embassy version myself but have just won a copy on eBay and should be here with in the week.

Congrats! Cool
Back to top Go down
Tyronehell

Tyronehell

PostSubject: Embassy   Raw Power Embassy Reels? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 4:40 pm

StoogesMySpaceAdmin wrote:
Tyronehell wrote:

Congrats! Cool

The Embassy Vinyl I got has the Bowie mix.
Back to top Go down
neven

Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Embassy Reels?   Raw Power Embassy Reels? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 9:30 pm

this different embassey mix must also have a different matrix no.
Back to top Go down
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Embassy Reels?   Raw Power Embassy Reels? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 10:11 pm

Tyronehell wrote:
StoogesMySpaceAdmin wrote:
Tyronehell wrote:

Congrats! Cool

The Embassy Vinyl I got has the Bowie mix.

Oh. Ok.
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

gazatthebop

Number of posts : 417
Registration date : 2009-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Embassy Reels?   Raw Power Embassy Reels? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 10:28 pm

I've read that the original 1973 UK "Raw Power" cassette and the (correct) Embassy 1977 LP issue have the same two different mixes of Search and Destroy and Raw Power. Obviously there's more as Death Trip and Shake Appeal are on the deluxe version.

Last edited by gazatthebop on Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mr.datsun

mr.datsun

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2010-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Embassy Reels?   Raw Power Embassy Reels? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 12:41 am

gazatthebop wrote:
I've read that the original 1973 UK "Raw Power" cassette and the (correct) Embassy 1977 LP issue have the same two different mixes of Search and Destroy and Raw Power.

Did someone say that the Sundazed single uses the Embassy Search and Destroy? It sounded different to my ears when I heard it recently. I thought that it was just the mastering but that was before I heard of the Embassy mix story.

FYI. someone is selling a dodgy CD of the Embassy cassette on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IGGY-AND-THE-STOOGES-RAW-POWER-RARE-EMBASSY-TAPE-MIX-CD_W0QQitemZ120552136967QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CDsDVDs_CDs_CDs_GL?hash=item1c1177a107#ht_500wt_1182

It says that is 'professionally mastered' from the Embassy cassette. Is that an oxymoron or does he mean 'copied'?
Back to top Go down
seventeen

seventeen

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Embassy Reels?   Raw Power Embassy Reels? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 9:24 am

I can vouch in, I first discovered Raw Power in 1977 as everyone then, it was with the Embassy LP. Over the years I wore down my copy and I trashed it. From the time I re-bought it, I was embarrassed it didn't sound as good and I always wondered why, until I read this story.

My take and other older punk rockers take is that the current mix on CD (including thus the Legacy CD) features the wrong versions of most songs, as there was a mix up over the years. The older Bowie mix CD and the current Legacy do not offer the real Raw Power mixes, these are the Legacy ones.

Probably someone switched the master tapes and it went unnoticed. The Embassy is the reason the album got recognition by the punk movement in 77. To not include it complete on the Legacy mastering is a huge blunder.
Back to top Go down
http://www.seventeenrecords.com
krugersoldier

krugersoldier

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2008-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Embassy Reels?   Raw Power Embassy Reels? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 9:48 am

This discussion clears up one of the great rock n roll mysteries for me. My experience in the same as Seventeen. I bought my first copy in 1978 which went missing in the chaos of the 80's. I bought another vinyl copy in the late 1980's and it just didnt sound the same, now its clear why I always thought that all those Ramones gigs in front of Johnnys amps had ruined my ears, apparently not Smile
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

gazatthebop

Number of posts : 417
Registration date : 2009-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Embassy Reels?   Raw Power Embassy Reels? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 10:16 am

I also bought the Embassy album with the different mix when it came out in the UK in 1977, replacing it with the US Columbia CD in the late 80's, but didn't notice the difference! I agree totally that disc one should be both versions of the album. Maybe next time eh?
Back to top Go down
jpstooges

jpstooges

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2009-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Embassy Reels?   Raw Power Embassy Reels? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 12:42 pm

My Embassy version of Raw Power has red & white label (pictured below), but -to my ears- it sounds roughly the same as original & other reissues I've heard. I got it on ebay last year, it was sold to me as a "cassette mix".
I recorded an A/B sample with the original US version (first 31 seconds are Embassy, then original version), here:

Can you hear any mix differences? Original sounds brighter and Embassy have muddy bass, but it's probably a mastering or vinyl issue, rather than an actual difference in the mix.

Raw Power Embassy Reels? 15708_Raw_Power_Embassy_LBL

Last edited by heavy liquid on Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:48 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Link removed)
Back to top Go down
seventeen

seventeen

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Embassy Reels?   Raw Power Embassy Reels? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 1:04 pm

That's funny, the first 30s, you can hear the bass, and the balance of the other instruments is good. Pass the first 30s, the room shrinks and everything gets thinny, just like the Bowie mix CD and I presume the Legacy edition, according to the samples on amazon. Not sure it's the difference between vinyl mastering and CD mastering, as there is out there an embassy "corrected" version.
Back to top Go down
Tyronehell

Tyronehell

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Embassy Reels?   Raw Power Embassy Reels? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 1:50 pm

Here is the label of my Embassy Raw Power and it has the Bowie mix.

Raw Power Embassy Reels? Raw_po16
Back to top Go down
boogie

boogie

Registration date : 2009-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Embassy Reels?   Raw Power Embassy Reels? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 2:06 pm

seventeen wrote:
That's funny, the first 30s, you can hear the bass, and the balance of the other instruments is good. Pass the first 30s, the room shrinks and everything gets thinny, just like the Bowie mix CD and I presume the Legacy edition, according to the samples on amazon. Not sure it's the difference between vinyl mastering and CD mastering, as there is out there an embassy "corrected" version.

The samples on amazon sound exactly like a non remastered bowie mix,that's confusing. . .
Anyway the embassy mix sounds like iggy mix without digital distortion.And it's great!
Back to top Go down
Tyronehell

Tyronehell

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Embassy Reels?   Raw Power Embassy Reels? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 2:18 pm

Just checked out the sample & my Embassy vinyl sounds like the last part of the 60 second clip, All thin sounding and no bass.
Back to top Go down
boogie

boogie

Registration date : 2009-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Embassy Reels?   Raw Power Embassy Reels? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 2:23 pm

What about the embassy mixes on the deluxe edition?
Are the same mixes of the Embassy LP?
Back to top Go down
seventeen

seventeen

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Embassy Reels?   Raw Power Embassy Reels? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 3:01 pm

Yep.

They removed the ebay listing mentionned above. I wish someone would post some more mp3s of the cassette version. Don't tell me no one downloaded it for the last two years !
Back to top Go down
jpod

jpod

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2007-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Embassy Reels?   Raw Power Embassy Reels? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 4:07 pm

Tyronehell wrote:
Here is the label of my Embassy Raw Power and it has the Bowie mix.

Raw Power Embassy Reels? Raw_po16

Yep this is the same as mine.
To my ears this Embassy mix is an inferior mix. I really don't think Search and Destroy sounds good at all.
when i get my lovely legacy version this is going on ebay.
Back to top Go down
seventeen

seventeen

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Embassy Reels?   Raw Power Embassy Reels? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 4:13 pm

Yes, this version is bad sounding, the other is the one to get !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Embassy Reels?   Raw Power Embassy Reels? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Raw Power Embassy Reels?
Page 1 of 9Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next