Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs

Go down 
+12
dtklamf
gazatthebop
Lucas
G, F#, E
Billy
neven
Donald
Shakes
weed_killer
Mighty High
woody
osterbergermeister
16 posters
AuthorMessage
osterbergermeister

osterbergermeister

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2007-03-08

Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs Empty
PostSubject: Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs   Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 6:25 pm

Is this an interesting topic? I don't know. Here's my list:

Terminal Mind (local Austin)
Joan Jett
Dirty Looks (twice - the band on Stiff Records; not the hair metal band)
The Smart (three times)
Jane's Addiction
Alice In Chains
Chainsaw Kittens
The Geraldine fibbers
Ms. .45 (twice)
Demolition Doll Rods (twice)
Extra Fancy
Bicycle Thief (twice)
Gloritone (local Arizona)
Sonic Youth
Jack Johnson
White Stripes
Fuel
Staind
A Fine Frenzy
Paolo Nutini
Kings Of Leon
Spoon
Sistas In The Pit (twice - local LA)
Dolorata (local San Fran)
Whitey Kirst
The Cribs
Amy Winehouse
The Hard Lessons (local Detroit)
Suicide (twice)
Back to top Go down
woody

woody

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2011-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs   Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 7:06 pm

Wow. You have a good memory. I'm guessing there's a few festivals in there - can't see Amy Winehouse or Paolo Nutini as the sole support act in a hall. Nice idea though. haha

I can't remember hardly any of them. Except for The Adverts, Hazel O'Connor, and (I think...) 'Then Jericho'. ??!! I have no idea when or where but it rings a bell. All the others - totally forgettable. Maybe there were some notable acts along the way, but I have no idea. I know I wasn't sitting down for any of them though.

I once saw The Police supporting Cherry Vanilla in front of about 12 people, but that's not relevant.

Good idea for a thread, makes me think how much I've forgotten.
Back to top Go down
osterbergermeister

osterbergermeister

PostSubject: Re: Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs   Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 7:21 pm

Thanks! This required me pulling out all the ticket stubs where I had fortunately written the opening acts on the backs! Yes, a few festivals in there: Coachella, Voodoo, Lollapalooza. Some of these band we pure torture - especially the one I saw three nights straight! One of my favorite gigs was an Iggy solo in San Diego with NO OPENING ACT!

Steve
Back to top Go down
woody

woody

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2011-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs   Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 9:24 pm

Man I wish I'd kept all the ticket stubs and programs for all the shows over the years. Gigs, and theatre shows too.

Good work by you!
Back to top Go down
Mighty High

Mighty High

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs   Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 11:14 pm

The Strokes at the Randalls Island show in 2004. God they were bad but luckily they only plaed a few songs.
Back to top Go down
http://mightyhigh.net
weed_killer

weed_killer

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2009-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs   Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 11:47 pm

When did Sonic Youth open for Iggy?
Back to top Go down
osterbergermeister

osterbergermeister

PostSubject: Re: Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs   Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 7:25 am

Coachella
Back to top Go down
Shakes

Shakes

Number of posts : 483
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs   Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 3:13 pm

i saw three shows on the 2007 u.s. tour (boston, nyc, philly) and the art basel gig in miami, which had no opener. i enjoyed sistas in the pit, but the other band that played before them--or were they after the sistas--was pretty bad.
Back to top Go down
Donald

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2007-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs   Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 3:21 pm

I saw Sonic Youth supporting Iggy at Reading in 1991, Nirvana too.
The band I've seen most often was Telephone in 1981. Five times. Not great.
Only saw Suicide support once. Stayed in the bar the second night.
I think the best support I've seen that was a support, rather than just another band at a festival, was Peaches at Le Zenith.
I was really pleased the Cranberries didn't turn up at when I saw Iggy in Zeebrugge. That would have been the worst.
Back to top Go down
neven

Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs   Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 7:52 pm

the seers ,paradiso a'dam1993
rage against the machine.lowlands 1993
glen matlock glc,utrecht1989
s.l.f.buzzcocks,finsbury park1996
that petrol emotion ,rotterdam1991
Back to top Go down
Billy

Billy

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2010-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs   Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 5:36 am

Janes Addiction was great!
Goo Goo Dolls only so so.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs   Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 12:00 pm

Idlewild were good, Sons & Daughters, Sunshine Underground and The Horrors were not bad either. Still don't know what to make of Suicides set to be honest.
Back to top Go down
Donald

PostSubject: Re: Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs   Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 2:49 pm

G, F#, E wrote:
Idlewild were good, Sons & Daughters, Sunshine Underground and The Horrors were not bad either. Still don't know what to make of Suicides set to be honest.
I enjoyed the Horrors and Young Knives at Harewood House but I was very disappointed with Idlewild. They used to be such a good band but they went all REM.
Did you enjoy Suicide? I thought they were unlistenable bollocks personally.
Back to top Go down
Lucas

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2008-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs   Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 7:28 pm

A lot. One impressed and we bought their cd's; Triggerfinger opened for the Stooges in Lille last year. That gig there were two openers. The other band, also from Belgium, was also nice.
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

gazatthebop

Number of posts : 417
Registration date : 2009-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs   Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 9:07 pm

Psychadelic Furs in Manchester UK around 1980 were good, i'd just bought their first single not knowing i would be seeing them live so soon.
Back to top Go down
Donald

PostSubject: Re: Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs   Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 2:35 pm

I seem to remember seeing the Furs supporting Iggy at the Hamersmith Palais. Did that happen?
Back to top Go down
dtklamf

dtklamf

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2007-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs   Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 1:48 pm

Yeah the furs supported Iggy in 1980, i was there at the palais, i thought the furs were better than Iggy that night.

Nigel.
Back to top Go down
Lucas

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2008-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs   Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 6:14 pm

We're gonna see Triggerfinger again. We bought tickets for the Suikerrock festival on July 29th in Belgium. The other two bands are Iggy and the Stooges (of course the real reason to go) and Deep purple, the band most of the people of my generation enjoyed when they where young.
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs   Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 6:51 pm

I've forgotten a lot of the support bands I've seen, or half seen from the safety of the bar, but for some reason I do remember Then Jerico who supported Iggy in 1987. They were a sort of up and coming bunch of posers who thought they were the next Simple Minds or U2 and tried to play BIG music. Mostly their music was derivative shit, and their name was shit too (that irritating deliberate mispelling of Jericho - I mean, did they think that's clever?).
Hopelessly miscast as support for Iggy, they were rightly booed. I seem to remember they played a version of "Walk On The Wild Side" which was beyond awful... Posh English kids with silly haircuts playing Lou's roll call of sixties Warhol freaks. Madness.
And they kept saying, as if to calm the restless audience, "Iggy will be here soon" to which the only response was of course "Well fuck off then."
Happy days!
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
Rode Hard
Rich Bitch
Rode Hard

Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2007-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs   Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 6:46 pm

Buckcherry in Detroit. I got invited onto their tour bus parked on the street by the stage door. haha
Back to top Go down
coffeepotman

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2009-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs   Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 5:18 pm

Jane's addiction 1988 was great, I was worried that they were gonna blow Iggy off the stage after last seeing Iggy open for the pretenders in 86 I wasn't expecting much. Boy was I surprised
Back to top Go down
specotron

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs   Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 2:22 pm

The most memorable band I did not sit through was Blue Oyster Cult at the Academy of Music.

First up was the newly formed Kiss. Towards the end of their pyrotechnics, a wayward 'rocket' launched over the audience hit a woman squarely in the face who was sitting about half-way back. Only a few noticed other than those sitting near her (including myself) and security, who quickly whisked her away while the band finished their set. I have always wondered if she was okay. Meanwhile, Kiss was relentlessly booed throughout their performance.

They were followed by Teenage Lust, featuring some band members from David Peel's circle of musicians. Considering how musically awful Peel was, it was surprising the rest of his band (with some support by competent musicians) were actually okay. Beyond being musically competent, they got the audience laughing with a good sense of humor and were better received as a result.

Then came the interesting part: the audience was divided into two camps: those who came to see The Stooges and those who were there for Blue Oyster Cult. As a result, The Stooges were not well-received by the BOC camp; however, after The Stooges played, approximately half of the audience left before BOC even took the stage. I, and my then girlfriend, were among those who left around 11:30, to make a 'statement' to the BOC fans.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs   Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bands we've sat thru waiting for Stooges or Iggy solo gigs
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: