Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Stooges film - Gimme Danger

Go down 
+39
AnxietyDilemma
neven
KarlR
stooges
Rigsby
sfstoogeling
Ale
mortytoad
pernil
earthdog70
dave mack
zenta138
andrew
AsteroidB612
dnlkmnd
Django
Pop Stüge
fabrice
kokolas
Cooper27
Tobin321
let me in!
gupio
jacqui_A
osterbergermeister
soldier
adams66
trailerborn
Nightclubbing
Perdu
midnight frank
Hectorlovesthestooges
oceanbreeze
Nadja
woody
ggriffin
Luzern
mc
ColourIsSound
43 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Luzern

Luzern

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Stooges film - Gimme Danger  - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Stooges film - Gimme Danger  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2016 1:33 pm

dnlkmnd wrote:
Just saw it last night! Liked it a lot!

Thanks a lot for reporting!
Back to top Go down
osterbergermeister

osterbergermeister

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2007-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Stooges film - Gimme Danger  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2016 7:21 am

Just saw it in Detroit. A packed house that was dead silent during the screening; I think everyone was mesmerized! Not too much footage I hadn't seen before. That color footage with Ron wearing the swastika armband was very cool, but for some reason it appears that they intentionally sped it up for some cinematic effect. Still cool, though. There was some other footage I hadn't seen before (that I can remember): it was black & white and was from a performance where Iggy had the completely white hair and the recent scar below his eye. No audio on that, however. The crowd did erupt in laughter at the stuffed-shirt shot of Williamson. It was just great! Because there was so much emphasis on the Stooges getting a raw deal while they were active, I kinda got choked up near the end when the "reunification" process of the band was described (even though I knew it all already.) The narration is almost all Iggy; Jarmusch mentioned in the Q+A afterward that he didn't want another doc made up of people who claimed they were influenced by the Stooges and that he wanted it straight from the band.

Jarmusch was asked why he thought the Stooges were worthy subjects for such a project that took so long to complete. He stated that it was hard to believe that these guys created 3 masterworks that the world is lucky to have, and that they did it by the time they were in their mid-twenties. He wanted to explore how such great works could have been so overlooked. (Not his exact words!) You can see a video of the Q+A at facebook.com/gimmedangermovie. DON'T MISS THIS MOVIE!!!!

Steve
Back to top Go down
osterbergermeister

osterbergermeister

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Stooges film - Gimme Danger  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2016 7:28 am

Iggy stated that the new Scott Asheton interview was from May 2013.
Back to top Go down
osterbergermeister

osterbergermeister

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Stooges film - Gimme Danger  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2016 7:34 am

If you want to see a video of Iggy playing an acoustic version of Little Doll with Don Was & Dean Fertita in Detroit on Sunday night, check this out (Iggy on drum!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRsu4gJ01Do
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Stooges film - Gimme Danger  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2016 9:09 pm

osterbergermeister wrote:
If you want to see a video of Iggy playing an acoustic version of Little Doll with Don Was & Dean Fertita in Detroit on Sunday night, check this out (Iggy on drum!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRsu4gJ01Do

Like it a lot!
Back to top Go down
Luzern

Luzern

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2009-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Stooges film - Gimme Danger  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2016 2:46 am

osterbergermeister wrote:
Just saw it in Detroit.  A packed house that was dead silent during the screening; I think everyone was mesmerized!  Not too much footage I hadn't seen before.  That color footage with Ron wearing the swastika armband was very cool, but for some reason it appears that they intentionally sped it up for some cinematic effect.  Still cool, though.  There was some other footage I hadn't seen before (that I can remember): it was black & white and was from a performance where Iggy had the completely white hair and the recent scar below his eye.  No audio on that, however.  The crowd did erupt in laughter at the stuffed-shirt shot of Williamson.  It was just great!  Because there was so much emphasis on the Stooges getting a raw deal while they were active, I kinda got choked up near the end when the "reunification" process of the band was described (even though I knew it all already.)  The narration is almost all Iggy; Jarmusch mentioned in the Q+A afterward that he didn't want another doc made up of people who claimed they were influenced by the Stooges and that he wanted it straight from the band.  

Jarmusch was asked why he thought the Stooges were worthy subjects for such a project that took so long to complete.  He stated that it was hard to believe that these guys created 3 masterworks that the world is lucky to have, and that they did it by the time they were in their mid-twenties.  He wanted to explore how such great works could have been so overlooked.  (Not his exact words!)  You can see a video of the Q+A at facebook.com/gimmedangermovie.  DON'T MISS  THIS MOVIE!!!!  

Steve

Thanks for the report and the facebook link. Here in Germany the movie does not open before early 2017, so it is great to hear from people who have already seen it.
Back to top Go down
mortytoad

mortytoad

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Stooges film - Gimme Danger  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2016 11:58 pm

Saw it last weekend in Seattle with an audience of about 15 people, all of whom seemed it enjoy it very much. Would like to see again, as it kinda' washes over you the first time. Dug the "Stooges Forever" gong-chick and Scott's take on Dave's exit. The 15-foot drum riser and the John Cale & Nico in the studio anecdote got big laughs. And what was name of the song that the original band considered covering?
Back to top Go down
dnlkmnd

dnlkmnd

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2013-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Stooges film - Gimme Danger  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2016 2:14 pm

mortytoad wrote:
And what was name of the song that the original band considered covering?

If I remember correctly it was "She Cried" by Jay and the Americans
Back to top Go down
Ale

Ale

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2014-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Stooges film - Gimme Danger  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2016 6:37 pm

Hey guys! Didn't realise this was released until today. By any chance does anyone know when it's hitting the theaters in Spain??
Back to top Go down
dnlkmnd

dnlkmnd

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Stooges film - Gimme Danger  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2016 8:51 pm

Ale wrote:
Hey guys! Didn't realise this was released until today. By any chance does anyone know when it's hitting the theaters in Spain??

November 25
I found screenings in Barcelona, Málaga, Oviedo and Valencia
Back to top Go down
Ale

Ale

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Stooges film - Gimme Danger  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2016 8:54 pm

dnlkmnd wrote:
Ale wrote:

November 25

Any in Madrid by any chance? And what website did you use to find those?
Back to top Go down
dnlkmnd

dnlkmnd

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Stooges film - Gimme Danger  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2016 9:44 pm

Ale wrote:

Sorry, couldn't find anything for Madrid.
I used eCartelera and FilmAffinity.
Back to top Go down
Ale

Ale

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Stooges film - Gimme Danger  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2016 10:25 pm

dnlkmnd wrote:
Ale wrote:

Sorry, couldn't find anything for Madrid.
I used eCartelera and FilmAffinity.

Thanks man! Well it looks like it's time to wait for dvd.... Sad

Unless I can scrape enough to Valencia! Cool
Back to top Go down
Hectorlovesthestooges

Hectorlovesthestooges

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Stooges film - Gimme Danger  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2016 12:27 am

Ale wrote:
dnlkmnd wrote:
Ale wrote:

November 25

I'm looking for a Madrid screening too, since I'm currently living here as well. I'll keep you updated if I see something Wink
Back to top Go down
Ale

Ale

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Stooges film - Gimme Danger  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2016 9:51 pm

[quote="Hectorlovesthestooges"][quote="Ale"]
dnlkmnd wrote:
Ale wrote:

I'm looking for a Madrid screening too, since I'm currently living here as well. I'll keep you updated if I see something Wink

Thanks man! Fingers crossed....
Back to top Go down
Nightclubbing

Nightclubbing

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2013-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Stooges film - Gimme Danger  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2016 12:33 am

In Madrid and Barcelona, the documentary was released last November, within the In-edit Festival of musical documentaries
Back to top Go down
Hectorlovesthestooges

Hectorlovesthestooges

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Stooges film - Gimme Danger  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2016 4:26 pm

Nightclubbing wrote:
In Madrid and Barcelona, the documentary was released last November, within the In-edit Festival of musical documentaries

Yeah, just one night sadly. I couldn't make it Sad
Back to top Go down
Hectorlovesthestooges

Hectorlovesthestooges

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Stooges film - Gimme Danger  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2016 7:12 pm

http://www.avalon.me/noticias/gimme-danger-cartelera-cines-y-entradas

Screenings in Spain (Madrid & Barcelona included)!!!
Back to top Go down
Ale

Ale

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Stooges film - Gimme Danger  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2016 11:53 pm

Hectorlovesthestooges wrote:
http://www.avalon.me/noticias/gimme-danger-cartelera-cines-y-entradas

Screenings in Spain (Madrid & Barcelona included)!!!

Cool!! But is it Avalón in Sol and at what time? cause the website doesn't say....

In any case that's real neat man! Thank you! cheers
Back to top Go down
Hectorlovesthestooges

Hectorlovesthestooges

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Stooges film - Gimme Danger  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2016 4:22 pm

Back to top Go down
Ale

Ale

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Stooges film - Gimme Danger  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2016 11:39 pm

Hectorlovesthestooges wrote:
At 22:20 in Yelmo, and 22:30 in Renoir Wink

More info:

http://www.cinesrenoir.com/cartelera/pelicula/1064/

http://www.yelmocines.es/sinopsis/gimme-danger

You sir deserve a beer!! cheers  Thanks man! (and you too dnlkmnd)
Back to top Go down
sfstoogeling

sfstoogeling

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Stooges film - Gimme Danger  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2016 1:46 am

I saw the Gimme Danger movie on Sept 28th at a free advance screening and I definitely got my money's worth.

I wrote this rant as a response to a Facebook post by Niagara & have been pasting it when people bring it up:

I wanted to like this film and went to the screening with an open mind, I like Jarmusch and I'm sure he's genuinely a fan but he messed up the story. I have a hunch that the frenzied quick-cut editing is designed to be non-linear and mask deficiencies, to make up for the lack of footage & proper research in making this doc, I just think that is why the editing is so fast & jerky.

Footage & still images rarely match the music or correct time period, e.g. a song from Raw Power is playing against an image of Ron Asheton playing guitar. Goose Lake footage is used while I Wanna Be Your Dog plays.

As Iggy discusses The Iguanas a photo of The Prime Movers is shown ...

It is implied early on that The Stooges played with Joe Cocker at the Pavilion in Queens NY - Iggy Pop seems to have copied this from an error in a 2007 Rolling Stone piece by David Fricke.

There is much more than I could keep track of in just one viewing, it's like they weren't even trying. At one point the song I Got A Right is discussed, the '45 label is shown and then we hear a weaker alternate take of it ... Why?

When they are focused on the early band (1968-1969) that What You Gonna Do song from 1971 plays - a song that doesn't even have Iggy.

When their gigs at the New Old Fillmore (Geary & Fillmore) in San Francisco are mentioned a photo is shown of the Fillmore West (Van Ness & Market)

An interview with James Williamson jumps quickly from their last shows to Kill City which was never a Stooges record.

We learn that after the Stooges Ron Asheton "joined" New Order - liked it existed without him?

There is some new previously unseen footage but it is mixed with the old stuff in a haphazard, jumpy, zig-zag fashion.

There was also footage of Steve Mackay playing with Carnal Kitchen that I'd never seen before.

I've seen gushing praise for this film from folks who probably know nothing about the band - it's enjoyable but flawed and hardly does them justice.

There were 4 photos of Jimmy Recca in the trailer, I missed 'em all because it went by so fast, I don't remember his name even being mentioned once. Billy Cheatham & Zeke Zettner are not mentioned. Robert Sheff & Scott Thurston aren't even mentioned even though images/videos of both appear.

It took 6 years to make this film, plenty of time to edit out mistakes and serious continuity errors. To a serious fan this is a letdown and to the casual observer it would be disorienting and very inaccurate, it gives a false impression of their history, it might seem exciting or entertaining but how would they know the difference?
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Stooges film - Gimme Danger  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2016 2:13 am

sfstoogeling wrote:
I saw the Gimme Danger movie on Sept 28th at a free advance screening and I definitely got my money's worth.

I wrote this rant as a response to a Facebook post by Niagara & have been pasting it when people bring it up:

I wanted to like this film and went to the screening with an open mind, I like Jarmusch and I'm sure he's genuinely a fan but he messed up the story. I have a hunch that the  frenzied quick-cut editing is designed to be non-linear and mask deficiencies, to make up for the lack of footage & proper research in making this doc, I just think that is why the editing is so fast & jerky.

Footage & still images rarely match the music or correct time period, e.g. a song from Raw Power is playing against an image of Ron Asheton playing guitar. Goose Lake footage is used while I Wanna Be Your Dog plays.

As Iggy discusses The Iguanas a photo of The Prime Movers is shown ...

It is implied early on that The Stooges played with Joe Cocker at the Pavilion in Queens NY - Iggy Pop seems to have copied this from an error in a 2007 Rolling Stone piece by David Fricke.

There is much more than I could keep track of in just one viewing, it's like they weren't even trying. At one point the song I Got A Right is discussed, the '45 label is shown and then we hear a weaker alternate take of it ... Why?

When they are focused on the early band (1968-1969) that What You Gonna Do song from 1971 plays - a song that doesn't even have Iggy.

When their gigs at the New Old Fillmore (Geary & Fillmore) in San Francisco are mentioned a photo is shown of the Fillmore West (Van Ness & Market)

An interview with James Williamson jumps quickly from their last shows to Kill City which was never a Stooges record.

We learn that after the Stooges Ron Asheton "joined" New Order - liked it existed without him?

There is some new previously unseen footage but it is mixed with the old stuff in a haphazard, jumpy, zig-zag fashion.

There was also footage of Steve Mackay playing with Carnal Kitchen that I'd never seen before.

I've seen gushing praise for this film from folks who probably know nothing about the band - it's enjoyable but flawed and hardly does them justice.

There were 4 photos of Jimmy Recca in the trailer, I missed 'em all because it went by so fast, I don't remember his name even being mentioned once. Billy Cheatham & Zeke Zettner are not mentioned. Robert Sheff & Scott Thurston aren't even mentioned even though images/videos of both appear.

It took 6 years to make this film, plenty of time to edit out mistakes and serious continuity errors. To a serious fan this is a letdown and to the casual observer it would be disorienting and very inaccurate, it gives a false impression of their history, it might seem exciting or entertaining but how would they know the difference?

I'll still be getting it of course (and watching it on the big screen if it comes on anywhere near me) but if that's the case it's a real shame.  Especially with the length of time taken in putting it together.  

There was discussion about it on the BBC the other day where a film critic (a big Stooges fan) said he was asked by his 11 year old son if he could watch it with him, to which he replied 'of course not' thinking no film about the Stooges would be suitable for an 11 year old.  But after seeing the film he thought it would have been absolutely fine for an 11 year old to view.  Not the gritty doc he was expecting!
Back to top Go down
Rigsby

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Stooges film - Gimme Danger  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2016 9:42 pm

Thanks for the review, sfstoogeling. Although the film has been getting generally good reviews, for me, it was always on the back foot from the get go and unlikely to be the epic people want. The shortage of vintage footage and the mighty Ron dying before the film got underway proper are obstacles too great to overcome. Having said that, playing a Raw Power track over footage of Ron on guitar is a schoolboy howler even a neophyte would wince at.
Back to top Go down
let me in!

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2016-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Stooges film - Gimme Danger  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2016 11:40 pm

I appreciate an honest assessment. It might be more popular or politically correct to give a rosy picture of things, but personally I prefer the cold hard truth. I read in Rolling Stone recently where it was Iggy who prodded Jarmusch into doing a doc on the Stooges so it wasn't like Jim was this big huge Stooges fan who just haaaad to get it right.He did the best he could. I am grateful none the same.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Stooges film - Gimme Danger  - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stooges film - Gimme Danger
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next