Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Iggy Jewish? (No Racist Post Allowed)

Go down 
+5
rael
JW82
homesickjameswilliamson
Loose1969
world's forgotten boy
9 posters
AuthorMessage
world's forgotten boy

world's forgotten boy

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2008-04-12

Iggy Jewish? (No Racist Post Allowed) Empty
PostSubject: Iggy Jewish? (No Racist Post Allowed)   Iggy Jewish? (No Racist Post Allowed) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 2:07 am

I have read some places that Iggy is jewish, as in heritage... but wikipedia says he is of Norwegian, Irish, Danish and English descent. And Osteberg (Real spelling is probably Östeberg) and Christensen are Norwegian and Swedish surnames... I know this has nothing to do with the music or anything, but I'm just really curious... And it has nothing to do with anything racial, I know it is a little stupid topic...

Smile
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Jewish? (No Racist Post Allowed)   Iggy Jewish? (No Racist Post Allowed) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 2:43 am

He's an American as far as I know. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
world's forgotten boy

world's forgotten boy

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Jewish? (No Racist Post Allowed)   Iggy Jewish? (No Racist Post Allowed) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 2:52 am

Hehe, Yeah I know... It is a stupid topic... but my friend, who is jewish talks about Bowie and iggy being jews because their mothers where... How do people know this, and who really cares, I said... but I got really intrested when he talked about it...
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Jewish? (No Racist Post Allowed)   Iggy Jewish? (No Racist Post Allowed) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 4:16 am

he is american, his dad was adopted by two jewish women or two swedish ppl, and the name 'stuck' i guess you could put it, lol

tho his mum is of norwegian or danish extract as you mention, and his dad is from irish/english extract i think

iggys american, and im not sure if the family held any particular religion, but i'd probly guess protestant, i think most of those mid western middle class families in america are, well call him christian, of course now he calls himself a polytheist (in that rio interview) but i think it would probly be more some kind of existential perspective, or godless kinda thing

HJW
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

Number of posts : 666
Registration date : 2008-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Jewish? (No Racist Post Allowed)   Iggy Jewish? (No Racist Post Allowed) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 2:03 pm

Iggy is not Jewish as far as I'm concerned. But I know that many punk rockers were/are Jewish Smile Joey Ramone, Richard Hell, Mick Jones of the Clash, etc. Circle Jerks are Jewish hardcore punk band Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tosterhead/music
world's forgotten boy

world's forgotten boy

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Jewish? (No Racist Post Allowed)   Iggy Jewish? (No Racist Post Allowed) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 3:47 pm

Thanks Homesick for the info... Don't know if I'm going to tell my friend as he seems to be very happy about it... Smile
Back to top Go down
rael

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Jewish? (No Racist Post Allowed)   Iggy Jewish? (No Racist Post Allowed) Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2008 2:40 am

I remember that in post-communist Russia in early 90s the main type of gossip among people who were into british and american rock music was in vein of "drug addict?", "gay?", "jewish?", "or maybe a bit russian too?"

Now I don't think anyone cares about anything.
Back to top Go down
Borntohula

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2007-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Jewish? (No Racist Post Allowed)   Iggy Jewish? (No Racist Post Allowed) Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2008 5:49 pm

world's forgotten boy: You ought to tell him. Iggy is God, not a human.
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Jewish? (No Racist Post Allowed)   Iggy Jewish? (No Racist Post Allowed) Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2008 6:11 pm

rael wrote:
I remember that in post-communist Russia in early 90s the main type of gossip among people who were into british and american rock music was in vein of "drug addict?", "gay?", "jewish?", "or maybe a bit russian too?"

Sounds like Lou Reed to me!
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2007-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Jewish? (No Racist Post Allowed)   Iggy Jewish? (No Racist Post Allowed) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 9:04 am

JamesWilliamson82 wrote:
Iggy is not Jewish as far as I'm concerned. But I know that many punk rockers were/are Jewish Smile Joey Ramone, Richard Hell, Mick Jones of the Clash, etc. Circle Jerks are Jewish hardcore punk band Smile

Richard Hell is Jewish? That's news to me...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/iggyandthestooges
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Jewish? (No Racist Post Allowed)   Iggy Jewish? (No Racist Post Allowed) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 9:05 am

mg196 wrote:
rael wrote:

Sounds like Lou Reed to me!

Lou is Jewish.
Back to top Go down
world's forgotten boy

world's forgotten boy

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Jewish? (No Racist Post Allowed)   Iggy Jewish? (No Racist Post Allowed) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 1:13 pm

StoogesMySpaceAdmin wrote:
JamesWilliamson82 wrote:

They say his jewish, but it's only one of his parents who are just that... so I don't know.
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

Number of posts : 666
Registration date : 2008-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Jewish? (No Racist Post Allowed)   Iggy Jewish? (No Racist Post Allowed) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 7:56 pm

Yep. He's dad is Jewish. But actually that doesn't make Richard Hell truly Jewish, because as far as I know - you're Jewish, if your mother is Jewish. Doesn't matter if your dad is or not. Kinda strange, but real.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tosterhead/music
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Jewish? (No Racist Post Allowed)   Iggy Jewish? (No Racist Post Allowed) Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 4:50 am

I see. Cool.
Back to top Go down
Ken Wood

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2012-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Jewish? (No Racist Post Allowed)   Iggy Jewish? (No Racist Post Allowed) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 2:02 am

JW82 wrote:

Yep. He's dad is Jewish. But actually that doesn't make Richard Hell truly Jewish, because as far as I know - you're Jewish, if your mother is Jewish. Doesn't matter if your dad is or not. Kinda strange, but real.
Yes, in a strictly religious sense that applies (and certainly you could convert to jewish religion which would make you jewish as well).
I think it was one of the founders of Israel who said whoever was persecuted as a jew is welcome to take refuge in Israel, because certainly the Nazis didn`t make such distinctions.
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Jewish? (No Racist Post Allowed)   Iggy Jewish? (No Racist Post Allowed) Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 12:32 am

Ken Wood wrote:
JW82 wrote:

Yes, in a strictly religious sense that applies (and certainly you could convert to jewish religion which would make you jewish as well).
I think it was one of the founders of Israel who said whoever was persecuted as a jew is welcome to take refuge in Israel, because certainly the Nazis didn`t make such distinctions.

Yes, Richard Hell was once Richard Meyers. Don't forget Handsome Dick Manitoba, Chris Stein, Lenny Kaye, Tommy Ramone, Keith Levene...

As for Israeli law and Jewish refugees - Israel intentionally used the same policy to "define" a Jew as the Nazis did, as defined in the Nuremberg Laws.
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Jewish? (No Racist Post Allowed)   Iggy Jewish? (No Racist Post Allowed) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Iggy Jewish? (No Racist Post Allowed)
Page 1 of 1