Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The perfect Stooges gig

Go down 
+6
the5thramone37
zeke
mc
homesickjameswilliamson
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
soldier
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

The perfect Stooges gig - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The perfect Stooges gig   The perfect Stooges gig - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 11:48 am

Borntohula wrote:
What you gonna do? When was it played first? I seriously love the song, it's so head on and psychadelic at the same time Smile
What You Gonna Do? never heard...sounds to me as a phrase of Rich Bitch.
where can I hear this?

And if that easyaction Cd would come out...wow... than the Stooges HAVE TO get up with the old stuff and make a complete other setlist with some of it...I would say Very Happy ah man...would that be great!

It's very exciting what's gonna happen this year: how many gigs and where, what kind of setlists there will be played and... new releases?!! Dance

Last edited by ZinZin on Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Stooges gig   The perfect Stooges gig - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 12:27 pm

Yeah that would be really great. The Stooges should use Steve Mackay some more and play some of those 1970 / 71 tunes that have got lost in the mists of time. They should really go for that rock/jazz thing again. What do you think?
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Stooges gig   The perfect Stooges gig - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 12:39 pm

Oh yeah totally agree Richard!

Did anybody maybe heard that not released stuff somewhere..once?
There must be people here on the forum which maybe were at a couple of these old gigs - who the hell knows..and have some self recorded stuff Very Happy .... are there Question how about you Mindless..
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Stooges gig   The perfect Stooges gig - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 5:36 pm

ZZ "What You Gonna Do?" is on the Starfighter CD - Live 1971 and other Rarities. This has a live gig from 71 (Kiel/Factory?) then a couple of live tracks from 1970 at Cincinnati Pop (the Peanut butter gig), then What You Gonna Do + Rons Jam tacked on the end. BE WARNED the sound quality of the first gig is really bad and Iggy is out of his head, but at the same time these tracks are not available anywhere else. Any hardcore Stooges (as I think you are) fan will love this - the quality shines through the murk.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Stooges gig   The perfect Stooges gig - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 6:23 pm

Yeh its soo brilliant, ive read on the board that ppl cant listen to it, the CD being like a shtty copy of a tenth generation vinyl thing, but i love it so much, its also What's You Gonna Do? btw, typical iggy ''What's" lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Stooges gig   The perfect Stooges gig - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 6:33 pm

ok: thnx mc!
definitely try to get it!
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Stooges gig   The perfect Stooges gig - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 6:37 pm

The sound quality is pretty poor (although better quality versions are rumoured to exist) but that doesn't neccessarily detract from this hardcore Stooges fan's enjoyment of this gig!
If you're prepared to put in the effort to listen to this 1971 gig (and I personally find that the very rough sonic quality requires quite an effort from me, but that's me folks), but if you put in the effort then the recording will repay you with music like you've never heard before...
Also, as has been pointed out elsewhere on this board, What's You Gonna Do (or whatever it's precisely called!) and Ron's Jam date from 1971, NOT 1968 or 1969 as listed on various bootlegs, and what's more they come from a gig performed without Iggy!
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Stooges gig   The perfect Stooges gig - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 6:21 pm

gracias tanto!
can't find it yet on the net yet

Recordings in the studio maybe sound better....
but The Stooges in concert are really phenomenal cuz Iggy's craze working the crowd
the tension gets in the instruments!

Mike Watt in his diary's, tells sometimes great things about what Iggy does with the crowd and what influence this had on him and the music while playing.

Anyway, I got to hear as much as possible taped gigs
the hunt has started
Back to top Go down
Borntohula

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2007-02-28

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Stooges gig   The perfect Stooges gig - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 2:13 pm

It they'd add What you gonna do and Mindroom to the next Stooges album, it'd be an instant killer Smile

No more fucking lyrics about picking up girls, name dropping and money!
Just the inner stuff translated into lofi poetry!
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Stooges gig   The perfect Stooges gig - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 2:48 pm

ha ha .... yeah, the money lyrics are pretty damn boring on 'The Weirdness' - such an obvious target, like Iraq! There ARE some choice lyrics on this album but those relating to money and girls are not among them.
I really haven't heard much of Iggy's solo stuff, or recordings with other bands, but as far as his lyrics with the Stooges go, well the great strength of them in the earlier days, on those first two albums particularly, is this sense of just being mired in his own self, just singing or mumbling about whatever he's feeling right then and not REALLY bothering about the outside world - I know there's a reference to 'war across the USA' but that's ALL, I don't think this is really meant to be social critique stuff, although of course listeners and critics can make of it what they will - rather I think the essential element is of the singer being trapped inside himself and all, his own mind and desires and whatever, really psychological and deceptively simple, these lyrics really WORK. Kind of stream-of-consciousness stuff. Certainly applies to those first two albums. And 'Raw Power' of course is similarly 'psychological', but I think more 'worked out', a bit more like 'conventional' song-writing.
Back to top Go down
mindless

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2008-01-31

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Stooges gig   The perfect Stooges gig - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 9:05 pm

Zin Zin, Unfortunately, I'm too young to have any Stooges recordings I made, my first Iggy gig was in 1979. But I do have a collection of about 20 masters from myself & my friend that have never been traded, from 1981-91. I tried to work out something with Easy Action, but the owner wants the tapes for basically free.
I had been offered money years ago to release bootlegs, but didn't do it, I want to at least see Iggy getting something. I am checking out other companies now. The only Stooges era rare thing I have which is on my trade list, is a 2CD recording of James & Iggy jamming in preparation for Raw Power, but it's mainly Blues jams.

The stooges band i'd want to see would feature
James & Ron dual lead guitar
Scott Thurston Keys & guitar
Steve Mackay Sax
Sales on bass
Rock Action on drums
And they'd play mostly Raw Power & Metallic KO stuff, I want a 20 miunte version of Gimme Danger.

The best Iggy band, I've already seen, it was the 1988 tour. I think that was my favorite solo tour, best songs and great lineup, only time I've seen a lot of Kill City played live, and I'd like to hear the rest of Iggy's tunes played by them, especially Sell Your Love & Mass Production.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Stooges gig   The perfect Stooges gig - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 1:09 am

Mindless, wow you got some special gig recordings..if you also have some photo's with it..guess you have a real goldmine there Cool
I'm def. not a pro in music business, cuz don't know how it works if you wanna get Iggy see something out of it and how long ago it was you were talkin to Easy Action...but think your smart to keep the stuff with ya a little while and stick to your plans! Although..man I'm dying to hear ALL there is as soon as possible!

about the 2cd recording of James and Iggy: that sounds good! i'm gettin really curious. How much blues, James could squeeze outa jam with Iggy. i'll pm you about this one.

hejjj...your imaginary perfect band + line up: worked out and well! Good idea to let Scott do the third guitar..(that i didn't made this up myself?) Sale on Bass..I do really have to listen better what's special about him workin the bass...you think he was better than Dave?

think we should make a new thread about favourite line ups on 'the rest' stuff and 'never recorded' songs... but than we definitely need your bootlegs Very Happy !!!
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Stooges gig   The perfect Stooges gig - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 3:38 am

what are some of your masters from mindless ?
Back to top Go down
mindless

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2008-01-31

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Stooges gig   The perfect Stooges gig - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 8:41 am

I was going with only living people on the Stooges lineup;)

The stuff I personally recorded would be gigs from NJ/NY PA area, between 1980-91, my friend has shows from the same areas & some from FLA. His masters list is better than mine, and he never does trades anymore. Plus a couple more my friend Bob taped with my gear, including him following Iggy around & bugging him with questions until Iggy yells Fuck You at him:) My personal fave is his from the Beacon Theater Halloween '88, which there are other tapes of, but he taped it with a D3 walkman and stereo mics in the first row mezzanine, so there is almost no crowd noise near the mics & a really excellent live recording. The thing with Easy Action was recent, and I wasn't even looking for a lot, just 3 copies of each box set for sets using only 1-2 of my shows, or 10-20 copies if I wrote the liner notes & our pics & collections of stuff like flyers, etc are used. I can't really recall having any tapes of songs that were never released on shows I recorded. Unfortunately, some of the best shows from before 1982 are gone forever, as I only had borrowed gear before to tape some shows.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Stooges gig   The perfect Stooges gig - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 1:08 pm

mindless wrote:
I was going with only living people on the Stooges lineup;)
yeah...that makes sense! and who knows...
for dreamers as I am
then there is always a very tiny possibility that these people come together and play again....would that be great!

What is it that Easy Action doesn't snap for it (for a reasonable agreement with you) are they not sure enough if it would sell? Or do they have a possibility to get better recordings?

thnx a lot for all the info, it's very interesting to hear all you encountered.
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Stooges gig   The perfect Stooges gig - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 5:43 pm

Zin- they probley are going to find from a more inside source some tapes. but these are rarer shows, for people who collect unoffical recordings, these would be most interesting, since i have everything in the boxsets since after heavy liquid.

cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Stooges gig   The perfect Stooges gig - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 6:16 pm

ok thnx JLTS. hope I understand everything you guys write..cos the quick slang way of writing is difficult for me sometimes to understand...I don't wanna post-it-out to much, cannot pm you. so to keep it short: I'm mostly interested in stooges/iggy LP's!! and too precious for me for trade or anything like that (I'm a possessive lover you know Wink)
although cd's are good to have with it
to get the WHOLE Stooges and Iggy stuff sound-picture! yeah!

I was wondering....how did you got that stuff? Man...yr so young aren't you, couldn't have been with the gigs..is it?

another nice avatar you got there!!!
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Stooges gig   The perfect Stooges gig - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 6:42 pm

Yes Im 15, almost 16 Smile But like i've said. my first time seeing Iggy was in 2001(detroit) and since that ive seen him 3 more times ! its been very fun. i get stuff from everywhere.

I did have a orange avatar for like 30 minutes, right before this one. unseen from ungano. but i decided to go with this avatar. its from magazine i have. (sounds magazine - febuary 16th 74)

Ps - you should start an avatar topic. It would include all people, and they would try to make their avatar the coolest looking Smile it could be fun since the board is alittle dry right now.

cheers !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Stooges gig   The perfect Stooges gig - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 6:55 pm

oh yeah JLTS your lucky with al the stuff and seeing the Stooges!
i'm gonna work out some robbery thing action..at your and Mindless his place pirat

hej it's your idea 'street walkin cheetah' about the avatar thread Smile you can also make it! would be fun!

that orange avatar..was that the one HJW asked about to post as picture? cuz I would love to see that one bigger too!
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Stooges gig   The perfect Stooges gig - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 6:57 pm

You should upload those pictures JLTS!! Iggys stare is cool in that one
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Stooges gig   The perfect Stooges gig - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 8:02 pm

Smile of course ! PS - where should i put the Avatar topic at ? we will all post up a new avatar each day or something.. or pick your favortie and post saying

<----- this is my favorite

which section do i make the topic in though ?

Smile

cheers
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Stooges gig   The perfect Stooges gig - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 8:04 pm

Dunno, how about in the Down on the Street section ''non music related''? like a little brother thread to the pictures thread, lol
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Stooges gig   The perfect Stooges gig - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 8:05 pm

yeah, but it seems not as many people check that section dosent it ?
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Stooges gig   The perfect Stooges gig - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 8:07 pm

Dunno do ppl not check every new post no? i dunno, i do, maybe thats obsessive, lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Stooges gig   The perfect Stooges gig - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 8:16 pm

yeah...I do that too! in the right (red written) menu on the main page you can check ALL the new posts since yr last visit. It's not that much to check out each time....isn't everybody doing this?

yeah make the thread JLTS..I'll join...but I first have to work out how to upload a picture in a post.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Stooges gig   The perfect Stooges gig - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The perfect Stooges gig
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next